Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DericWM2001
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:41 pm 

I'd give 100% to Chico Science & Nação Zumbi's Da Lama ao Caos (1994). This is a very great album and one of my favorite albums ever.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Ptgb2HaXU

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:58 pm 

I would give Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction, 100% start to finish. To me it comes off as not too polished, but just enough to not sound like a 70s punk band. Speaking of punk, a lot of bands from that time would say you can really hear the punk influence in our music. I remember Poison saying that in an interview. Being a punk fan, I was always like yeah right. You do hear that punk attitude/edge on Appetite. Although the "hits" have been played to death on public radio, I still enjoy listening to them when I play the album start to finish.

Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:13 pm 

Personally, I've always preferred the Illusion albums. Anyway what I came to say was I'd give Floodland by Sisters of Mercy a very high score. Ditto for Apple by Mother Love Bone, it just has a certain charm and charisma throughout that makes it a really memorable experience. And Floodland just has a near-genius level of songwriting.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:51 pm 

Can--Tago Mago
Hunger-Strictly From Hunger
Red Hot Chilli Peppers--Blood Sugar Sex Magick and Uplift Mofo Party Plan
Vandergraaf Generator--Pawn Hearts

Sang Dalang Abu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:09 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
Vandergraaf Generator--Pawn Hearts

Almost 100%.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:08 am 

Deathdoom1992 wrote:
Personally, I've always preferred the Illusion albums. Anyway what I came to say was I'd give Floodland by Sisters of Mercy a very high score. Ditto for Apple by Mother Love Bone, it just has a certain charm and charisma throughout that makes it a really memorable experience. And Floodland just has a near-genius level of songwriting.

I feel like we might be the same person. I'm sure I mentioned those two albums in a post in this thread about 20 pages ago. Fuckin' high five, man.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:03 pm 

:beer:

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:31 am 

The new Pusha T is fucking incredible. I've been a huge fan of his since 2011 when he released "Fear Of God II", but this new one, "DAYTONA", may be my favourite release of his.

I really dig the first half of the new Kanye. Still getting into the new Chvrches (not sticking as much as their first two) and Father John Misty.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:47 am 

jimbies wrote:
The new Pusha T is fucking incredible. I've been a huge fan of his since 2011 when he released "Fear Of God II", but this new one, "DAYTONA", may be my favourite release of his.

I really dig the first half of the new Kanye. Still getting into the new Chvrches (not sticking as much as their first two) and Father John Misty.

I played the new Father John Misty three times yesterday. It's growing on me. It sounded too familiar at first, but this is a very confident work and he's never had better production or vocals. The lyrics and hooks are super well done.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:29 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
jimbies wrote:

I played the new Father John Misty three times yesterday. It's growing on me. It sounded too familiar at first, but this is a very confident work and he's never had better production or vocals. The lyrics and hooks are super well done.

I just noticed now, I made my post in the wrong thread. I meant to most this in worth-while non-metal albums of 2018. So, while I wouldn't give any of the four albums I mentioned above 100%, they are all decent contenders for this year's year-end-list.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:18 pm 

Anti-Nowhere League - The Perfect Crime. Potty-mouthed punks switch to new wave/post-punk/whatever you wanna call it, alienate all their fans and regret they ever made it. Overblown with choirs. Apocalyptic and yet upbeat at the same time. It's fairly unique and just works for me. My taste doesn't lead me to name ideal reference points, but previously it's put me in mind of a cross between Depeche Mode and Rammstein. Or perhaps a punkier version of Swans - Children of God.

Sticky Filth - Nektar der Götter. Heavy punk, like a more metallic version of Cosmic Psychos.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:59 pm 

Comus - First Utterance

I may have already posted this album here a long time ago but don't care. Still unique and progressive and fucking weird as ever. Deeply terryfing at times. Prog/Folk at its best.

The Clash - London Calling

Easy pick. Literally all the songs are good. Death or Glory is the best song ever.

Built to Spill - Keep it Like a Secret

My favorite alternative rock album. Not a single second wasted here either. Carry the Zero is the (second) best song ever.

Outkast - Aquemini

My favorite rap album most likely. Andre is a monster rapper and songs like Synthetizer, Liberation and Y'all Scared are hidden gems of the genre.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:09 pm 

There's so many! I consider some of these metal, but I'm going by the Archive standards:

Alice Cooper - Love It To Death
Aerosmith - Rocks
Ramones - Road To Ruin
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
KISS - KISS
Simon & Garfunkel - Sounds Of Silence
Paul Simon - Graceland
Nirvana - Bleach
Van Halen - Van Halen
Cinderella - Long Cold Winter
Green Day - Warning
Cage The Elephant - Melophobia
Bon Jovi - 7800 Fahrenheit
Eagles - One Of These Nights
Blink 182 - Enema Of The State
Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
Kix - Blow My Fuse
Gang Green - Another Wasted Night
The Clash - London Calling
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
The Beatles - Rubber Soul

I'm sure there's plenty more I can't think of on the spot.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:50 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Simon & Garfunkel - Sounds Of Silence

Oh goddamn, YES. I actually like Bridge Over Troubled Water more, but they are both 100% to me.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:13 am 

Bridge is amazing as well! One of my favorites. "Sounds" is probably the easiest to newcomers as it's the most "rock n roll", but Bridge probably has some of the deepest messages.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:01 pm 

aside from one or two exceptions, this is mostly punky stuff I liked in high school that I still like today (I guess my taste isn't particularly diverse, whoops) -

The Sisters of Mercy - First and Last and Always
AFI - Black Sails in the Sunset
Rancid - Rancid (2000)
ALL - Allroy's Revenge
Bad Religion - Suffer
Descendents - Milo Goes to College
Bauhaus - In the Flat Fields
Kid Dynamite - Shorter, Faster, Louder
The Muffs - Blonder and Blonder
Lifetime - Jersey's Best Dancers
Alkaline Trio - Goddamnit
The Nerve Agents - Days of the White Owl
Jawbreaker - 24 Hour Revenge Therapy
Dillinger Four - Versus God
Screeching Weasel - My Brain Hurts
Christian Death - Only Theatre of Pain
Strung Out - Twisted by Design
A Wilhelm Scream - Mute Print
Ignite - A Place Called Home

and, because I'm a massive fucking dork,
Saves the Day - Through Being Cool

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:55 pm 

Cool, someone else has heard of Dilinger Four!! I used to love that band. Havent listened to them in years though.
I also was a pretty regular Descendents, Screeching Weasel and Jawbreaker fan back in the day (I actually thought "Everything Sucks" was the best Descendents album though.) In short, LycanthropeMoon you have pretty good tastes....for a mallcore kid (heh heh)

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:34 pm 

I've seen it mentioned in this thread twice already, and I'd like to add another vote for The '59 Sound from Gaslight Anthem. It's been one of my favourite records since it was released, and I've recently been into them again in a big way, because I'm going to see them on the 10th anniversary tour. Gaslight's music is just so SO fitting for summer time.

TheMeh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:23 pm 

There's a number of things I'd probably throw a decent ranking to in the non-metal category. Will probably just make a list to make my life easier.

-Most soundtracks from the video game Destiny. I liked the first one a lot, and all the soundtracks are just... so elegant sometimes. Martin O'Donnell should be pleased by his works. Especially the now-released (technically) Music of the Spheres. Goddamn beautiful.

-Avenged Sevenfold was the first real band to introduce me on the path of what I would come to find as metal, so I like to consider them highly on my list of bands. Waking the Fallen has some absolutely classic songs. Self-titled/Nightmare are probably two of the best. The Stage is definitely a great album as well, and I'd agree with most that it's a definite foray into more "progressive" territory.

-David Bowie's Blackstar has a special place in my heart. No question about it. It's sad that he passed, and I personally am still affected by that loss. Though... I thought Blackstar was the perfect send-off. (title track's probably my favorite song on that album in general)

-I'm a sucker for concept albums. Any of all kinds tend to at least garner my attention. Hell, I think I at least listen to one metalcore band's concept album still... but not exactly the point. Probably one of the better ones out there was Green Day's "American Idiot", or perhaps I Fight Dragon's "The Near Future". I don't really know what it is, those albums just get me in the same way most concept albums do.

Not sure if absolutely everything here is a perfect 100% here - some of that is out and about, some of it is a definite 100% - though I thought it best to mention them either way.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:22 pm 

jimbies wrote:
I've seen it mentioned in this thread twice already, and I'd like to add another vote for The '59 Sound from Gaslight Anthem. It's been one of my favourite records since it was released, and I've recently been into them again in a big way, because I'm going to see them on the 10th anniversary tour. Gaslight's music is just so SO fitting for summer time.

I'd say that album is TGA's masterpiece. I've been into them since "Sink or Swim" and it was interesting to watch them get so huge. They deserved it, but it's always weird to see an underground band come that close to mainstream success. Going from playing 200-300 cap rooms to playing a song with Bruce Springsteen is quite a step.

Oxenkiller wrote:
Cool, someone else has heard of Dilinger Four!! I used to love that band. Havent listened to them in years though.
I also was a pretty regular Descendents, Screeching Weasel and Jawbreaker fan back in the day (I actually thought "Everything Sucks" was the best Descendents album though.) In short, LycanthropeMoon you have pretty good tastes....for a mallcore kid (heh heh)

I love D4, and I was finally able to cross them off my live bucket list in 2013, when they were opening up a NOFX tour. D4 were actually the main reason I went, though I don't mind NOFX - even if Fat Mike really doesn't know how to keep his fucking mouth shut sometimes. "Everything Sucks" was my first Descendents album and I've got a shirt with the album art that I still wear all the time. It's an incredibly close second for me - great album. I think the one song that keeps me from tying it with MGTC is "Doghouse", honestly. Also, thanks!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:32 pm 

I did a quick write-up about Everything Sucks on my blog last year, so I'll just transfer my thoughts from there over to here in regards to why I think that's the best Descendents albums:

Spoiler: show
I wrote:
You see, early Descendents really tapped into teenage fear and angst in a way that hits home with most lonely high schoolers. Tales of unrequited love and fear of growing up are interspersed between energetic blasts of goofy nonsense, sexual fantasies, and toilet humor. That was their big appeal for me, they fearlessly explored every facet of adolescence, with all of the incongruity and tonal shifts that that would imply. The band suffered two hiatuses early on brought on by lead vocalist and frequent cover art model, Milo Auckermann, leaving to pursue his studies and career in biochemistry. After nine years, he got the itch and helped Descendents get back together (though they never truly left and the band always soldiered on as All without him) for their first album in nine years. The reason this one is special to me is because the band actually grew in a way without abandoning one iota of what made them so iconic on the early albums. Milo Goes to College and I Don't Want to Grow Up were based on the balking of adulthood and wanting to remain in the halcyon years of youth forever, and then Everything Sucks shows up and gives it all a new perspective. They are adults now, and everything is exactly as shitty as they'd always feared. Songs like "When I Get Old" are presented with a bit of wistful nostalgia, while "Everything Sux" and "This Place" confronts the bullshittery of adulthood with that passionate rebelliousness of adolescence that they never lost in the meantime. That's what's so great, the music itself didn't "mature". They didn't start adding new elements to the songs, they didn't mellow out, they didn't slow down and write more accessible radio friendly songs, the songs are almost all entirely the fast paced melodic poppy punk it's always been, with the sub-minute energetic blasts of "Coffee Mug" and "Eunuch Boy" being odes to spazzing out after drinking too much coffee and how much it would suck to not have a dick, respectively. The goofiness is still there, and now the Nice Guy songs are presented in a slightly more pathetic light, and "Sick-O-Me" details how a long term relationship falls about due to boredom and complacency. They're basically the weird uncle of punk rock, the guy who drinks a few too many beers and tries out his nephew's new pogo stick at Christmas with predictably disastrous results. They're still ineffectual dorks, but they're more experienced about it now, but still wholly unwilling to let go of that youth they cherish so much, and it's a very sincere look at the whole situation. And that's why it's their best album, it's the perfect snapshot in time between the stages of youthful rebellion and desperately trying to recapture it.

Their Nice Guy songs can be kinda difficult to sit through at times, especially as I get older (I've definitely seen an image where the Milo Goes to College cover is edited to say "Milo Whines About Getting Friendzoned" :lol:), but overall the band still holds a special place in my heart and probably always will. Hell, I even think Cool to Be You is just as good as their 80s material as well. Granted, I wouldn't give any of their albums a 100% score but I feel like this thread has lost that purpose years ago.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:28 am 

I definitely prefer their debut. In fact, I probably prefer All (the band) to them. The lyrics are ‘problematic’ as hell. I get the feeling Bill Stephenson’s not the brightest spark and he was just venting. It’s funny because the early stuff is often about not getting the girl whereas the later stuff is “now I’ve got the girl I always treat her badly”.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:05 am 

I never really gave All a shot almost entirely because one of the only two Descendents albums that I don't care for is All (the other is Enjoy!). Maybe one of these days I'll fix that.

And yeah, listening to songs like Hope or I'm the One are unbelievably cringey now that I'm not 16 anymore.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:10 pm 

A lot of All's stuff is poppy as hell- it's not really even punk anymore; some of the music almost reminds me of Journey or Bon-Jovi or some glam rock band. But it's better (and catchier) than either of those, so despite everything I actually like them. They have a lot of subtle but distinct musical things about them that really set them apart.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:49 am 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
jimbies wrote:

I'd say that album is TGA's masterpiece. I've been into them since "Sink or Swim" and it was interesting to watch them get so huge. They deserved it, but it's always weird to see an underground band come that close to mainstream success. Going from playing 200-300 cap rooms to playing a song with Bruce Springsteen is quite a step.

I was lucky enough to meet TGA in 2010, right after American Slang had been released. They had already performed with Bruce a couple times, and Brian had been on stage with The E Street band, as well. They were so down-to-earth and kind of blown away still that people were calling The '59 Sound one of their favourite records. I really thought they were headed for the stratosphere.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:37 pm 

ALL are actually quite good. While I like "Everything Sucks" and "Milo Goes to College" better than most of ALL's work, I'd say they had a more consistent discography. I like basically every ALL album and I can't say that about the Descendents. I'd highly suggest listening to "Allroy's Revenge", it's a near-perfect album imo. Great hooks and great musicianship - by punk standards at least. Also, yeah, the lyrics to "I'm the One" and "Hope" are pretty damn cringe-inducing nowadays, but I like them anyway...nostalgia's a powerful thing, I guess. I think the homophobic part in "I'm Not a Loser" is worse, but at least they've apologized for it (and cut that part out live).

And yeah, Brian (and the rest of TGA, really) seems like a really cool and down to earth dude. I still haven't gotten the chance to see them - I'm hoping they bring that '59 Sound anniversary tour to the US.

Sang Dalang Abu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:14 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
Descendents - Milo Goes to College
Bauhaus - In the Flat Fields

:thumbsup:

Yak_Forger
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:36 am 

Sandu Ciorba - Chef in Romania

:-D

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:47 am 

"I've got seven women on my mind four that wanna own me two that wanna stone me one says she's a friend of mine. Take it easy take it easy, don't let the sound of your own wheels make you crazy. Lighten up while you still can, you may never be here again, so open up and climb on in, and take it easy."

Bravo bravo. Encore encore.

Oiras
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:59 am 

I need to re-listen and re-evaluate a ton of stuff, I've not been absorbing music at the pace I used to. One record I will say is perhaps is as close to perfect in every respect is Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works Vol. 2. That record is simply monumental. Almost never a moment that leaves me feeling astray from the listening experience, sort of ironic, in a good way, since ambient is often seen, intended or expected to be just backdrop music. Every moment grabs my attention and illuminates my imagination in different ways. Listening to it is like seeing new colors. It perfects the style of Brian Eno and co. who themselves had worked to refine their own music and their take on the ambient genre through their careers. It keeps it up for more than two hours. It's incredible. Richard D. James has done a lot of fine work but most of it is eclipsed, feels small compared to SAWII. His second-best for me if I were to pick and one that comes closest would probably be I Care Because You Do which a lot of people seem to think a minor record compared to, say, SAW 85-92, The Richard D. James Album or the once-divisive-now-reevaluated-and-better-appreciated Drukqs which are all very good, don't get me wrong, but they all are either inconsistent/have lapses or they don't pull me in quite as strongly as they used to. (and as for a couple of his more well-known miscellany, "Come to Daddy" is an awesome song with an awesome video, I'm not so hot on "Windowlicker" though, an unremarkable tune mostly known for its at-the-time provocative music video).

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:32 am 

Not really 100% but I would rate quite high following 2 recent post-punk/coldwave albums

Second Still
https://youtu.be/yeO43aIqbz0
The moment they started playing I knew I LOVE the sound. For many, this might bring back the memories of some post-punk/coldwave legends from the past. Pure joy.

The Discussion - European Tour EP 2017
https://youtu.be/lXw0y8oQvlI
Featuring Laura Pleasants from Kylesa, this EP is leaning more towards gothic rock/psychedelic rock
I had a pleasure to see them live which even intensified my affection for the album.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:32 am 

The Jimmy Hendrix experience "Are you experienced" album. I'd give that a 100/100. Very influential lead playing from Hendrix himself. Memorable jazz rock melodies and the best vocals i've heard on a blues album. Also an influence to some of my favorite bands such as Spitfire.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:55 am 

nightbreaker33 wrote:
The Jimmy Hendrix experience "Are you experienced" album. I'd give that a 100/100. Very influential lead playing from Hendrix himself. Memorable jazz rock melodies and the best vocals i've heard on a blues album. Also an influence to some of my favorite bands such as Spitfire.

This one times a milion. One of the best albums rock music has to offer. It has the power and fire of hard rock, the spacey playing of jazz greats and the soulful vocals of Jimi himself. Masterful. Plus the rhytm section is masterful.

On my end:

Husker Du - Zen Arcade

This one gets 100% on the basis of songcraft and evolution alone. From buzzsaw guitar stuff into folky interludes into small symphonies combining pop melodies and distortion. Just great.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:45 pm 

I was obsessed with Zen Arcade in grade 12. Reminds me of staying up too late on the computer talking to the girl I liked on MSN messenger while blasting it on winamp on repeat

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:05 pm 

Everybody should be obsessed with Zen Arcade. It is this good. Probably among the best alternative album bar none - or if you do not want go that way then fine - among the top 5.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:06 pm 

I should have added "Zen Arcade" to my list...great album. "New Day Rising" is a *very* close second for me. You can kind of hear where bands like Jawbreaker got some of their influence, not to mention the Lifetime cover of "It's Not Funny Anymore" (from the "Metal Circus" EP).

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:34 am 

nightbreaker33 wrote:

All of the Jimi Hendrix Experience albums are 100%
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:13 am 

I've said it before and I'll say it a thousand times more, Jimi Hendrix is the entire reason I even like music at all. My mom had The Ultimate Experience on tape and played it in the car once when I was like 3 years old and it blew my little toddler brain clear into the stratosphere. I love every single thing he released during his way-too-short career. There was never anybody like him and there never will be.

antonthebassist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:49 pm 

I'm never not going to shamelessly shill for 16 Horsepower anywhere that I can, so... my answer would be all four albums by 16 Horsepower:
Sackcloth'N'Ashes
Low Estate (OK maybe I'd give this one like a 95 because Fire Spirit isn't such a good song IMHO)
Secret South
Folklore

All are absolute must-listens (IMHO) if you're at all into country music.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:15 pm 

Bad Religion - No Control

Tom Waits - Small Change

Marty Robbins - Gunfighter Ballads

Albert King - Born Under a Bad Sign

Most of the Rolling Stones' 60s output is flawless.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next