* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:19 am 

James_1995 wrote:
Dead Kennedys- Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
I have been listening to music for over 40 years. What's cool is I am still discovering new bands and music. I have been into punk and metal since I started listening to music. I never gave DK a chance. Not exactly sure why. I have been listening to Marky Ramones punk show on Sirius and heard the Dead Kennedys. I really like them quite a bit and enjoy Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables. Been playing it regularly for about a year now. It's a great record.

Bogdaniel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:11 pm 

The two that come to mind instantly for me are CKY's "Infiltrate Destroy Rebuild" and Van Halen's debut. Perfect albums.

in_the_sign_of_metal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:58 pm 

Ever since seeing them live, this band Hundredth has been a mainstay as far as non metal listening goes. Their album RARE is back to back hits. They have a weird trippy aura I can't get enough of.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:23 am 

the first that comes to mind is probably blondie's parallel lines album. yes, it's that great.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:02 am 

I would give both Minecraft soundtrack albums by C418 100%. Probably the only two albums I'd ever grace with such a thing. Those albums are absolutely perfect to me in every way. And not just because I played/still do play Minecraft.

megadeth93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:37 pm 

Cock Sparrer - Shock Troops
The Business - Out in the Cold demo
The Clash - The Clash
Culture - Two Sevens Clash
The Jam - In the City
Rancid - ...And out come the Wolves.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:01 am 

I don't think perfection will ever be achieved so I wouldn't reserve 100% for that. I rank my top favourite songs, so absolute perfection could require all of an album's tracks to take up the top spots on that list. But even if it just means that every track is a 5/5 favourite, I think holding things to that standard would leave a bunch of gaps in my 90+ range and push everything else into a narrower range down the scale, making my scores lower than typical and leaving me less room to differentiate between albums I like.

Upon relistening, 100% seems right for my top 8 albums, half of which are non-metal. So I have 2 more to add to this:

DeadKid wrote:
Anti-Nowhere League - The Perfect Crime. Potty-mouthed punks switch to new wave/post-punk/whatever you wanna call it, alienate all their fans and regret they ever made it. Overblown with choirs. Apocalyptic and yet upbeat at the same time. It's fairly unique and just works for me. My taste doesn't lead me to name ideal reference points, but previously it's put me in mind of a cross between Depeche Mode and Rammstein. Or perhaps a punkier version of Swans - Children of God.

Sticky Filth - Nektar der Götter. Heavy punk, like a more metallic version of Cosmic Psychos.

+

Bloodhound Gang - One Fierce Beer Coaster
The Runaways - The Runaways

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:18 am 

DeadKid wrote:
I don't think perfection will ever be achieved so I wouldn't reserve 100% for that. I rank my top favourite songs, so absolute perfection could require all of an album's tracks to take up the top spots on that list. But even if it just means that every track is a 5/5 favourite, I think holding things to that standard would leave a bunch of gaps in my 90+ range and push everything else into a narrower range down the scale, making my scores lower than typical and leaving me less room to differentiate between albums I like.

That's pretty much a thread by itself. I don't necessarily view every single track as being amazing as a prerequisite. That's kind of a high floor argument for quality. To me it's more about how high the ceiling goes. When I evaluate my overall ranking of an album I'm generally thinking more about the greatest songs of the album than maybe a track or two that drags it down. And I might prefer an album with three 10/10 tracks and seven 8/10 tracks to one with ten 9/10 tracks.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:05 am 

Kendrick Lamar - good kid maad city, To Pimp a Butterfly
Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
Isaiah Rashad - The Sun's Tirade
Slowdive - Souvlaki
The Cure - Disintegration
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists, F#A# Infinite
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
Daughter - If You Leave
The Angelic Process - Coma Waering, Weighing Souls With Sand

honestly I could go on and on. There are countless albums in all sorts of genres that I feel are just fucking perfect

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:59 pm 

wraithlike wrote:
Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition

Highly agree with this. One of my favourite hip-hop albums of all time (if you can even call it that. That almost seems like pigeonholing it, when it's much more than that.)

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:04 pm 

wraithlike wrote:
Slowdive - Souvlaki
The Cure - Disintegration
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists, F#A# Infinite
Daughter - If You Leave

Some especially good choices, particularly Daughter, who is too often overlooked.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:10 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
That's pretty much a thread by itself. I don't necessarily view every single track as being amazing as a prerequisite. That's kind of a high floor argument for quality. To me it's more about how high the ceiling goes. When I evaluate my overall ranking of an album I'm generally thinking more about the greatest songs of the album than maybe a track or two that drags it down. And I might prefer an album with three 10/10 tracks and seven 8/10 tracks to one with ten 9/10 tracks.

In that case your prerequisite for 100% is probably closer to mine than what I started wondering about when you said 'absolutely perfect'. I'd say none of my 100s have tracks that really drag them down. Loving the sound of the album in general is as much a factor as the individual tracks, so even the lesser tracks have a sound contributing to the 100%. Apart from maybe one lone 8/10 exception, I think 100% means I'd be handing out 9/10+ across the board, with some almost-favourite songs needing a 9.5/10.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:37 am 

Oh boy let's shove my shitty taste in everybody's throat :-D :

- 2Pac :All eyez on me
- Kanye Wes : My beautiful dark twisted fantasy
- Wu-Tang clan : 36 chambers
- Steve Ray Vaughan : Texas Flood
- Dire Straits : Love over gold
- Pink Floyd :Wish you were here

And some others.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:41 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
DeadKid wrote:

I actually do agree it's hard to have literal perfection, but I just don't think it matters what anyone gives 100% or 5 stars or whatever to. Taste is an emotional thing. You just like what you like even if it isn't literally spotless in quality. Sometimes a few rimshot songs or some minor quibbles of quality don't matter.

anarchoquietist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:32 am 

I'd give 100% to The Seer, by Swans. I don't think it's literally perfect, as hardly any album can achieve that status (I think Panopticon by Isis is the exception, 59 minutes of perfect music). But the sheer ambition and bravery of the songwriting make up for the imperfections.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:56 am 

Alice Cooper - From the Inside

My favorite Cooper album of his entire discography. I believe it was an attempt at getting big hits, which is why members of Elton John's band were hired to play on the album. I like the poppy sound he is going for and like the concept of the album. It's all based off of his true experiences when he was locked up in a mental institution. Makes it that much more interesting. Love every song from start to finish.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:20 am 

PETERG wrote:

And some others.

Dire Straits were totally anathema in my house growing up, my mother have some strange hatred for them :lol:

My wife likes them, though, so now as an adult we have a couple of records.

BlackheartSauron
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:24 pm 

Elend "A World in their Screams"

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:19 am 

BlackheartSauron wrote:
Elend "A World in their Screams"

Mixed this up with the '2020' thread, and was about to say that I didn't know they were back :lol:

Good shout though, they made some great music.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:14 am 

Methuen wrote:
PETERG wrote:

And some others.

Dire Straits were totally anathema in my house growing up, my mother have some strange hatred for them :lol:

My wife likes them, though, so now as an adult we have a couple of records.

Wow torn between love and hatred I see.
I simply fell in love with Lover over Gold because my mom used to work out listening to it.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:34 am 

PETERG wrote:

Very controversial artist. I feel like I've never met someone who says, "Yeah, Kanye is alright. I like some of this stuff." It seems to be love/hate with him. For me, it's mostly love. I wasn't into his gospel album last year, but I agree that MBDTF is a 10/10 perfect album. To me, it's a masterpiece and the song "Runaway" is in my top 50 songs of all time, easily.

I was thrilled I got to see him live with Jay-Z when they toured the Watch The Throne record. One of the best concert experiences I've ever had in my 300-400 shows.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:07 pm 

jimbies wrote:
I feel like I've never met someone who says, "Yeah, Kanye is alright. I like some of this stuff."

Hello. It's good to meet you.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:35 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
jimbies wrote:
I feel like I've never met someone who says, "Yeah, Kanye is alright. I like some of this stuff."

Hi there. Which albums do you like, and which do you find obnoxious?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:00 pm 

'Yeezus' is a tremendously audacious piece of work. I've been hit or miss with some of his stuff but that one is a wild piece of art.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:48 pm 

jimbies wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
jimbies wrote:

Hi there. Which albums do you like, and which do you find obnoxious?

I used to listen to Late Registration some back in the day. I've given a cursory listen to a few others, but don't recall them particularly well on the whole. He's mostly a singles artist for me, I like certain qualities of songs like "Touch the Sky", "Gold Digger", "Heartless", and "All of the Lights" right off the top of my head. It's his voice and flow itself that sometimes bugs me, he has a idiosyncratic delivery that doesn't always sit right.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:26 pm 

I should add a few more :

- RHCP : Blood Sugar Bay Sex Magik
- Nick Cave : Let Love In
- The Front Bottoms : The Front Bottoms (don't judge me plz thnx :oh shit: :oh shit: :oh shit: )

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:27 pm 

jimbies wrote:
PETERG wrote:

Very controversial artist. I feel like I've never met someone who says, "Yeah, Kanye is alright. I like some of this stuff." It seems to be love/hate with him. For me, it's mostly love. I wasn't into his gospel album last year, but I agree that MBDTF is a 10/10 perfect album. To me, it's a masterpiece and the song "Runaway" is in my top 50 songs of all time, easily.

I was thrilled I got to see him live with Jay-Z when they toured the Watch The Throne record. One of the best concert experiences I've ever had in my 300-400 shows.

His work is phenomenal. His samples, his aesthetics, his lyrics, his evolution and maturing as an artist. And Corey Taylor can suck my dick for calling out him.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:34 pm 

PETERG wrote:
- Nick Cave : Let Love In

Couldn't agree more here. I love Cave's entire discography (one of my favourite artists of all time) but Let Love In and Henry's Dream are my top 2.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:33 pm 

The first that came to my mind was Dropkick Murphys' 'Blackout'. Amazing Irish-style pop punk, that got me into that stuff, really.

Alice Cooper has some... 'Raise Your Fist and Yell', his most metal one is one of my faves. 'Hey Stoopid' has become one lately.

Gary Moore's more rocking albums are great. 'Wild Frontier' is masterful.

There are more for me...

EDIT: Yes, here's another one:

Killing Joke's 'Pandemonium' acted for me as a gateway album to them. It has 'Millennium', that is a heavy song, most metal one from the band...

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:03 pm 

I need to repost to this thread sometime. Way back there I put a post out almost a decade ago and it's interesting to see what albums I listed. My opinions have definitely changed about a few of them, but many I would still consider really good albums. I like that this thread is still here and being posted on, it's great way to find new music you wouldn't otherwise be able to find :)

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:30 pm 

Pearl Jam - Ten

Start to finish this album is incredible. Screaming duel guitars of that Fender/Les Paul duo all over this album. I really wish they would of continued with this sound, or at least did one more album. For this style, Mike and Stone are actually shredders.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:33 pm 

Lane wrote:
The first that came to my mind was Dropkick Murphys' 'Blackout'. Amazing Irish-style pop punk, that got me into that stuff, really.

I wouldn't give any Dropkick album a perfect score but their little run of Blackout - The Warrior's Code - The Meanest of Times is probably the closest they ever got to their peak. Most of their albums have at least a great song or two but those three are mostly good the whole way through.

Though I can not stress enough how much I hate "I'm Shipping Up to Boston". It is a garbage throwaway track on an otherwise solidly good album and I absolutely loathe that it's become their signature song. The Departed is a good movie and all but I'll never forgive it for making that song a cultural touchstone.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:50 pm 

I saw member of Dropkick come out and play "Dirty Water" with Springsteen at Fenway Park in 2012. I was so glad they did that instead of Shipping Up To Boston.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:49 am 

It was mentioned but for me AC/DC - Back in Black. Every song from start to finish on that album is killer. When I was in second grade forever ago, there was very cool kid that I became friends with. For a fellow second grader this kid was very cool. He had every AC/DC album, played electric guitar and was already getting with girls. He was obsessed with AC/DC and turned me onto them. Just as a curiosity I would love to know what ever became of him, but I am not even 100 percent sure of his name. My family moved away in 5th grade.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:20 am 

I like Back in Black a lot, but I was much more enthralled by Highway to Hell and The Razor's Edge on my recent AC/DC binge a while back. But that sounds like a solid childhood memory. Always good.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:32 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I like Back in Black a lot, but I was much more enthralled by Highway to Hell and The Razor's Edge on my recent AC/DC binge a while back. But that sounds like a solid childhood memory. Always good.
For me it's the nostalgia part. Back In Black was the first album by them that I heard. Previously this kid had told me how devastated the singer of his favorite band died. I felt for him, but wasn't a fan of AC/DC. Then Back In Black came out and he brought the album to the bus stop. He went on and on about it. I guess I figured there must be something to this band as much as my friend loves them. After listening to it I really became hooked on that album for a long time, years. In the beginning because I was hooked on Brian Johnson's vocals, I actually didn't care for anything with Bon Scott. It was later on that I became hooked on their older material as well.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:06 am 

The only weak song on Back In Black, to me, is Have A Drink on me. I find it plods along even though it's only four minutes. Could be because it follows those two massive bangers. I think "Let Me Put My Love Into You" is an underrated deep cut. But yeah, it's one of those albums that becomes so overrated, it actually ends up underrated (if that makes any sense).

When is the last time you actually sat down and LISTENED to "You Shook Me All Night Long"? It's perfect.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:16 am 

My dad is a big AC/DC fan (as all dads are required to be by law) and I asked him once what he thought their last good album was around the time Rock or Bust came out. His answer was "Back in Black, because after that point they stopped sounding like raucous bar brawlers and started sounding like rockstars. Back in Black started it but it was the perfect middle point and it has like eight classic tracks on it." Which is a surprisingly erudite answer for him (not to say he's a dullard or anything but my analytical skills and love of rock and metal definitely did not come from his side of the family, lol) and it really stuck with me. I'm still not much of an AC/DC fan, but nowadays when I hear any of the tracks from Back in Black I can't help but think about what he said and it makes a lot of sense to me why it hits the way it does. One of their only tracks I genuinely like a lot is Shoot to Thrill, and yeah that sounds exactly like a band of dangerous hooligans who finally hit it big but haven't entirely lost touch with their roots.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:46 pm 

jimbies wrote:
But yeah, it's one of those albums that becomes so overrated, it actually ends up underrated (if that makes any sense).

This is how I feel about it really, it's great and all, but a good chunk of the songs are so omnipresent in pop culture that it feels like you know the album inside out even if you haven't played it in full much.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:27 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
Luvers666 wrote:
One such album is Ten Invitations
Damn, that's one hell of an endorsement for this record, I'm definitely going to set aside time to listen to it soon. Thanks for mentioning this!
I wonder, after 37 months, if you ever did check the album out.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next