Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:09 pm 

jimbies wrote:
The only weak song on Back In Black, to me, is Have A Drink on me. I find it plods along even though it's only four minutes. Could be because it follows those two massive bangers.

AC/DC is another band I never listen to full albums from, but like a song here and there, and that's one of them, with a really cool main guitar riff.

BastardHead wrote:
My dad is a big AC/DC fan (as all dads are required to be by law)

Maybe that's for ones under 70. I know mine isn't into them, albeit it's just one data point.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:58 pm 

Greet Death - New Hell
A really really well done of super catchy, memorable and emotional sad boy alt-rock with bits of shoegaze atmospherics. The song "Circles of Hell" came up on my discover weekly playlist on spotify and I was entranced. Went on to listen to the whole album and thier previous, Dixieland. I probably listened to the album 50 times this summer, all my most listened to songs on Spotify this year were from this album. It's really quite good, and affecting if you are in the right state of mind. I don't know the true meaning of the lyrics, but I connect with them based on a lot of my experiences as a listless modern addict.

DeadKid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:08 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
My dad is a big AC/DC fan (as all dads are required to be by law)

Maybe that's for ones under 70. I know mine isn't into them, albeit it's just one data point.

Hard rock/metal dads in their 60s are rare too, at least among the people of my age that I know. My dad certainly didn't get the memo (listens to poppier stuff like The Beach Boys, The Monkees, Neil Diamond, Blondie etc.).

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:55 am 

My dad is 63, born in late 1957 (december). Had a lot of friends back in the day that listened to black sabbath and classic rock of the 70's. He likes soul music and mainstream pop, hates anything with an electric guitar besides stuff like Bruce Springsteen (and a few Led Zeppelin songs here and there). Feel like that's an outlier situation though, especially for a white man from Chicago.

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:45 am 

last_eulogy wrote:
Alice Cooper - From the Inside

My favorite Cooper album of his entire discography. I believe it was an attempt at getting big hits, which is why members of Elton John's band were hired to play on the album. I like the poppy sound he is going for and like the concept of the album. It's all based off of his true experiences when he was locked up in a mental institution. Makes it that much more interesting. Love every song from start to finish.

yes very good album. i loved looking at my brothers vinyl as a kid, all the little windows and stuff.
pretty much not a bad track, serious is a particular fave

__MULLIGANACEOUS__
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:24 pm 

I would suggest the rap albums "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" and Eminem's album trio "Slim Shady LP", "Marshal Mathers LP 1", and "Eminem Show"

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:50 am 

fetalfeast wrote:
I could think of a bunch, but the only one I can recall off the top of my head is Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene.

That's one for me too! 'Equinox' and 'Magnetic Fields' are other ones. 3 in a row!

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:25 pm 

Fleetwood Mac "Rumours." There isn't a single dip in quality on that album, start to finish. It's pretty much the perfect rock LP, fit into the perfect time when it was released.

The other one I can think of is Rush "Moving Pictures." Yeah, it was a more commercial effort and therefore a departure from their progressive roots, and some of the die-hards pan it for that reason. But those songs are just so good. Even the lesser known ones. Witch Hunt is one of my favorite Rush songs ever.

Both of these LPs. Just put them on loop, I don't even consider skipping a track.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:13 pm 

Yeah, sometimes when I'm losing faith in humanity, I remember that a batch of human beings made Rumours.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:56 am 

soul_schizm wrote:
Witch Hunt is one of my favorite Rush songs ever.

Yeah, mine as well. Even the intro has an unusually creepy vibe for Rush. I love the huge synth pads, and Neil's tom fills in the song blew 14-year-old me away. But for some reason it's a a bit polarizing, someone in the thread in music discussion listed it as the only mediocre song on the album.

Yak_Forger
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:30 pm 

I'd highly rate several albums of Yuuhei Satellite, although I discovered all of their songs one by one and don't really remember which ones make up each album...
I mean, it's the thing I need to finish a late night project, nothing powers you through the last hours a day of research about the Spain golden visa https://tranio.com/articles/golden-visa-in-spain/ , when metal is too much for your slowed down brain, like Tsuki ni Murakumo, Hana ni Kaze.

Osmiumthemetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:01 pm 

There are many I could say, but I'll just give one at the moment:

Heldon - Stand By (1979) - Absolutely brilliant fusion of progressive electronic and prog rock, where the whole thing seamlessly snakes through completely different segments, some hypnotic and repetitious and others catchy, but they all feel like they're meant to be together. The album builds up for nearly 40 minutes until the last 3 or so minutes of the title track, where a distorted guitar that could have given contemporary NWOBHM a run for its money leads into one of the most epic and wondersome endings to any musical piece in history.

It's sad how much absolutely insane progressive rock is floating around there in the underground that will never be reached by most who think Yes and ELP is the most the old-school prog sphere has to offer.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:15 am 

jimbies wrote:
PETERG wrote:
- Nick Cave : Let Love In

Couldn't agree more here. I love Cave's entire discography (one of my favourite artists of all time) but Let Love In and Henry's Dream are my top 2.

I would list my other two favorites to be Nocturama and Abattoir Blues/ The Lyre of Orpheus. I used to listen to Cave with my dad and during my final exams for university. Cave got me to engineering school man!

I saw him live in Athens in 2017 for his "Skeleton Tree" tour. He was extatic!

I got places I gotta be!

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:13 am 

Also saw him on the Skeleton Tree tour, and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Speaking of Abattoir Blues, one of my favourite songs in his entire catalog is "There She Goes, My Beautiful World". I wish he'd play that one live more.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42