Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:56 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Been drinking an awful lot of these lately:

Spoiler: show

I'm convinced I have a (good) problem, as I can't get enough of this stuff. Sugary, ripe and spicy flavouring, but not overpowering - just straight up delicious, and the smell is fantastic when you pour it. The 10% ABV is a plus too, but it's not something you notice as it warms you slowly from the inside out, because the flavour is king here. I will take this over the tripel any time please.

How much do you pay for each bottle? If I drank an "awful lot" of these, I'd be brought to poverty in two weeks, cause that stuff is far from cheap here.

Think I'm gonna try some Delirium Tremens this week, hopefully the beer is as good as the neat little bottle it comes in.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:23 am 

Marag wrote:
How much do you pay for each bottle? If I drank an "awful lot" of these, I'd be brought to poverty in two weeks, cause that stuff is far from cheap here.

These are $21AUD for a four pack, and I buy at least two of these at any time, because I like to keep a few of them handy when I feel like having just one or two beers in the evening/night. Otherwise the fridge is stocked (usually) with a dozen or so decent IPA's.

My collection

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:39 pm 

Drinking something like a 5-year old bottle of Flying Dog Horn Dog barleywine from a stash I came across. Pretty tasty - there were still some decent hops on the nose but they've all but disappeared from the taste. Mostly just the malt and plenty of warming alcohol left. This is the oldest barleywine I've ever had; I've never made it past two or three years before. This also wasn't really properly cellared - it's just been on the bottom shelf of a fridge this whole time, so some complexity might be lost.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:09 am 

Was in and around London for some training for a week and a half and spent some time exploring the new breweries around there. Was kinda hoping to find some bigger, more complex and more challenging beers there. I mean, I enjoy a good bitter, a great ESB and an excellent British porter (i.e. low ABV with no frills) as much as the next guy, but those are plenty around. Didn't really find too many weird or experimental or trying something new. Well, other than the hop juice, low ABV IPAs. The best breweries around seemed to be - for my taste - Beavertown at Duke's Brew and Ques, Howling Hops at Cock Tavern as well as The Kernel and Partizan at Bermondsey. Others, like Camden Town and Tap East seemed to be a bit tapped out after GBBF, which was rather disappointing considering the good things I've heard, especially of the latter.

iamntbatman wrote:
a stash I came across.

A stash you came across?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:29 pm 

What, you've never played Fallout? Haha, well, when my younger brother turned 21 like 4.5 years ago, he wanted me to go to a beer store with him to help him pick out some nice beers. For some reason he never drank any of them because I guess he was saving them for a special occasion or something like that. They've been in the vegetable crisper since he bought them and he was just going to throw them out (assuming they'd gone bad) and asked me if I wanted to give them a shot. Free old beer? Hell yes.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:04 pm 

Had a rather disgusting and disappointing experience with Dogfish Head Immort. It is a barleywine brewed with peat-smoked barley, juniper berries, vanilla beans and maple syrup, then aged in oak barrels. I've had a fair few peated Scotch whiskies that I enjoyed (including monsters like Laphroaig) and I've like the few peated beers I've had too. But this.....this was just.....BAND AIDS. I've never understood people who claim they have tasted the "band aid flavor" in either Scotch or certain beers, but now I do. No maple syrup flavors, no juniper flavors, no vanilla flavors.....just the same taste as a band aid smells. Ugh.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:43 pm 

Huh. I haven't had Immort in a long time (the last time was probably, oh, five or six years ago when a friend of mine asked for a 12oz bottle of it at the DFH Alehouse after the waitress told him they were out of the same on tap. He paid something like $14 for that glass of beer, haha. Anyway, I thought it was reasonably tasty but my memory of exactly what it *did* taste like is a little cloudy.

Right now I'm enjoying a rather delicious glass of 5-year aged Insanely Bad Elf. I actually don't think I've ever had this one "fresh" but I've had some of the others in the series and none of them ever really blew me away, to be honest. This is really rather tasty, though; the rye's both subtle and dominant, if that makes sense. It's definitely a major part of the flavor of this thing, along with the barley malt and spiciness, but it's not anywhere near as upfront with the sour...ryeness that a lot of rye beers tend to have. That could be a result of the aging, I guess. So, if you ever leave a bottle of this stuff in your vegetable crisper for five years, it turns out pretty great!

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:33 am 

got a 6-pack of these for the weekend. gotta say, fantastic beer! VERY hoppy, enough to put the james squire range to shame, and nice and bitter as well. definitely not a session beer (i've only managed to have 2 in one sitting, and i barely finished the second) but as a one-off it's fantastic. i think if this same amount of flavour was spread out over 500ml instead of 355ml it'd be almost perfect.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:43 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Right now I'm enjoying a rather delicious glass of 5-year aged Insanely Bad Elf. I actually don't think I've ever had this one "fresh" but I've had some of the others in the series and none of them ever really blew me away, to be honest. This is really rather tasty, though; the rye's both subtle and dominant, if that makes sense. It's definitely a major part of the flavor of this thing, along with the barley malt and spiciness, but it's not anywhere near as upfront with the sour...ryeness that a lot of rye beers tend to have. That could be a result of the aging, I guess. So, if you ever leave a bottle of this stuff in your vegetable crisper for five years, it turns out pretty great!

Funnily enough, I have a bottle of this aging from Christmas 2010 in the cellar and I've never managed to score a fresh bottle either after that one. They always have trouble with deliveries to Finland.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:01 am 

Chatoe Rogue Dirtoir Black Lager is one of the most delicious beers I've ever had. It's like a bottom-fermented version of an imperial stout. If you see it, get some.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:28 am 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
It's like a bottom-fermented version of an imperial stout.

With just 5% ABV, I find this very hard to believe.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:05 pm 

The experiments continue!

Tonight, it's a 5-year-old bottle of Belhaven Wee Heavy. At only 6.5% ABV, this was definitely the riskiest of the bunch. It definitely tastes....old. Surprising amount of head still on this one, but the actual carbonation's all but gone. It's clearly oxidized a fair bit, with the typical dark ruby color of this beer shifted to a hazier brown. The peatiness is also pretty much gone, but there's still plenty of that typical wee heavy biscuity malt and sweetness. This definitely hasn't aged as well as the two stronger brews I've had out of the batch, but still very drinkable. I much prefer it fresh, though.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:07 am 

This shit was retardedly expensive and that, combined with my general anticipation and the taste, made it... the worst beer I've ever had. Basically like someone got a huge amount of treacle and made it less viscious. Cloyingly sweet, dense, no real nice malt or hops or anything really. 1/10

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:15 am 

Huh. Black Sheep's website makes it sound sort of interesting, but I've never really been all that impressed with their other beers so I can't picture dropping a wad of cash on some weird experiment of theirs.

caspian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:14 am 

Yeah don't give it a crack man. I was honestly surprised how awful it was, I've had a lot of barleywines, DIPAs, Imperial Pale Ales, Super strong ales etc. before so it's not like I'm completely out of my depth with this stuff, but yeah, it was fucken awful! I really struggled to finish it, which was surprising- normally I can at least chug a beer if I'm not down with its' taste.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:28 am 

They called it progress, what did you expect?

There's only so much douchery a microbrewery has to play with until they reach into the chasm of shit.

Motorpriest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:21 pm 

If the beers aren't that great, it makes me wonder how they can stay open. I've never tried anything by Black Sheep myself but if their stuff is that mediocre it's a small miracle on the brewers end.

Since I'm broke I've just been drinking an IPA myself, my girlfriend and her brother made. It's a pretty standard IPA, clocks in at 6.2%. I'm pretty happy with it; lots of hop gunk at the bottom since we dry hopped it without filtering it or putting the hops in a hop sock. It's somewhat bitter (as to be expected!) but extremely smooth. Even non-IPA fans have liked it when they tried it, although they may have just been being nice. :P

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:04 pm 

Oh, I'm completely sure that they stay open out of sheer novelty value. That Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale of theirs is their most readily available over here by a massive margin. I'm sure shitloads of non-beer geeks buy that stuff just because, lol, Monty Python!

Windom Earle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:37 pm 

I'm a cider guy. Just started drinking Spirit Tree - probably the best cider I've had. And it's local!

Cider, Metal and Twin Peaks makes for a good night.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:37 pm 

Tonight's experiment! A five year old bomber of Stone Russian Imperial Stout. I took a couple sips just now even though it's still fridge-cold; seems to have turned out really, really well. Still had a massive tan head even after five years. Taste is looking extremely promising but I'll let it warm up a bit and edit with my thoughts.

caspian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:06 pm 

Found this at dan murphys (our massive local bottle-o) - the cheapest thing there by a mile at $9.99 a six pack, or a pack of 24 500ml cans for $39.. unprecedented cheapness. It's not bad either, it's hard for a pilsner to be anything more (or less, I guess) than a boring old pilsner, and this is what it is, just really cheap. Alternating between this and emu export for my cheap student beer of choice.. could do far worse really!

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:06 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Tonight's experiment! A five year old bomber of Stone Russian Imperial Stout. I took a couple sips just now even though it's still fridge-cold; seems to have turned out really, really well. Still had a massive tan head even after five years. Taste is looking extremely promising but I'll let it warm up a bit and edit with my thoughts.

Please do, it's making me thirsty just thinking about it :drool:

EDIT: Maaaaan casp, that stuff is horrible. I personally do not like it one bit. Bleugh.

My collection

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:18 pm 

Phewww! Well, it's real boozy, that's for sure. The rich chocolatey/espresso notes are still there but turned down several notches from a fresh bottle. The whole time the beer's in your mouth (and for a good bit afterwards, for sure) there's notable warm alcohol presence on the tongue. Really estery, too, compared to fresh. Has some brandy-ish and sort of scotch-like notes going on (almost enough to make me think that this has spent five years in an oak cask rather than a glass bottle in a vegetable crisper), which feeds perfectly into the booziness. I'm gonna drink this whole thing but I would definitely advise anyone else sitting on a bomber of this stuff for so long to invite over a friend or two to give you a hand with it.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:21 pm 

I'm getting really tired of the yearly non-limited stuff only being available in large format bottles. I get doing it for one-time-only releases, and I sort of get it for somewhat limited releases made every year. Stone IRS is neither of those. They should switch it four-packs like they did Oaked Arrogant Bastard, Ruination and Sublimely Self-Righteous. Same thing with Old Guardian.

Tonight I'm going with Sierra Nevada Flipside IPA, which they're debuting this year but have already announced will be replacing Tumbler Autumn Brown next year. Not bad at all. It's a shame few people in this country like brown ales and they have to keep going back to IPA's, was the same deal with E.S.B. and Glissade. Unfortunately, Tumbler wasn't a classic English brown....I think there's a bigger market for those than people realize.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:25 pm 

Hmm? I've seen their RIS in six packs. I've seen Old Guardian in 12oz bottles, I'm fairly certain, but I'm not sure if those were ever in a 4 or 6 pack. My next "ancient vegetable crisper beer" adventure is actually a bomber of Old Guardian that's sitting in there, hah.

Kind of a bummer about the Flipside, yeah. How many IPA's does Sierra Nevada really need?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:30 pm 

IRS used to be in six-packs, but it's been at least four years since that's been the case. Maybe longer. Old Guardian probably was too.

As for Sierra....apparently they need seven. Celebration, Torpedo, Flipside, Ruthless Rye, Northern Hemisphere Harvest, Southern Hemisphere Harvest, and Estate. Hoptimum should also count, though it's technically a DIPA. Apparently they are releasing a "black IPA" this year as well, and let's be honest: when fresh, Bigfoot tastes like an IPA.

So they kinda-sorta need ten actually. :roll:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:34 pm 

Hah. Well, I'm probably out of the loop. Even though I live only about an hour from where I lived in Baltimore, the beer selection (and prices...) around here are much, much different (read: worse). I used to be able to buy Stone stuff like Arrogant Bastard, Ruination, RIS for something like $12-13 for a six pack, but I basically ignore the stuff these days because Ruination and AB are like $20-25/six pack around here.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:04 am 

Those Ruination sixers are probably like a year old now anyway :lol:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:53 am 

caspian wrote:
Found this at dan murphys (our massive local bottle-o) - the cheapest thing there by a mile at $9.99 a six pack, or a pack of 24 500ml cans for $39.. unprecedented cheapness. It's not bad either, it's hard for a pilsner to be anything more (or less, I guess) than a boring old pilsner, and this is what it is, just really cheap. Alternating between this and emu export for my cheap student beer of choice.. could do far worse really!

:-D Good old Öttinger...

My pick of cheap pilsner is Wicküler though. Still drinkable when at room temperature and goes directly into the brain.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:30 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
Apparently they are releasing a "black IPA" this year as well, and let's be honest: when fresh, Bigfoot tastes like an IPA.

I actually picked up a bottle of that black IPA the other day. It was fine, good beer, but nothing I'd make a point of going back to, really. Interesting idea, but taste-wise nothing that knocked my socks off. The Bigfoot, on the other hand, has been one of my favorite recent discoveries. Man, that shit is good. I love the rich, robust balance between the strong hops and the deep, stone-fruit-like sweet tones. And the 9% just sweetens the deal. It inspired me to check out more brandywines, and my next stop on that road was Adnams Tally-Ho, another absolutely delicious ale that really lived up to the "wine" half of that label. Really rich, dark flavor with what I want to say were prune notes. Would definitely grab another bottle in future. Unfortunately I don't think brandywines are very common in the US, so I'm not sure how many I'll be able to track down at any affordable price.

Any standout recommendations from you guys on brandywines?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:56 pm 

Barleywines, yes. I'm not so keen on brandy myself. ;)

J.W. Lees Harvest Ale is amazing but expensive and you have to wait like ten years before it's really good. North Coast Old Stock Ale is great with 2+ years on it. Anchor Old Foghorn is ready right out the gate. Samuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo is sort of like a barleywine and also ready right out the gate.

I definitely prefer the less hoppy English varieties or their American imitators.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:58 pm 

Whoa shit...totally didn't even realize I'd written "brandywines." Sorry.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:41 pm 

Ha no biggie. Weyerbacher Insanity is another good one fresh if you're looking for a barrel-aged barleywine. I generally do prefer with age though.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:30 pm 

Brooklyn Monster is pretty tasty, as is Victory's Old Horizontal. Dogfish Head Olde School is good, too; that one's really sweet and not so hoppy. Bell's Third Coast Old Ale is basically a barleywine, too, and very good. Stone's Old Guardian I mentioned earlier is great stuff, as is Rogue's Old Crustacean (comes in a really neat bottle, too).

Flying Dog's Horn Dog is alright but has never really blown my mind. Dominion's Millenium has had mixed results from me; some years it seems pretty good but I've had other batches that just plain sucked. I didn't really think much of Weyerbacher's Blithering Idiot; the Insanity Earthcubed mentioned was better. Avery's Samael is good too but usually really expensive.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:03 pm 

I thought Monster Ale was terrible personally, and I wasn't crazy about Horn Dog or Dominion Millennium . Old Guardian isn't exactly top-tier and some years it is a bit boozy but it is usually a perfectly serviceable hoppy barleywine. Third Coast Old Ale (not to be confused with Third Coast Beer) is pretty good too. I've only had Olde School once and it was a two-year bottle, but it was great.

This is the first time in two years (three years?) that Victory will be releasing Old Horizontal....and the bastards switched it from a six pack to a bomber. :fuck: It is good stuff though.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:47 pm 

Thanks doodz. I will try to make a point of looking for some of these next time I'm in a well-stocked shop.

Underwhelming ales/whatevers I've recently opened were Cisco's Grey Lady and Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. Just...could've been a lot better, very meh. Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter was also decent but a bit too much on the dry side for my taste. Also tried their chocolate stout recently, which had a very nice aroma redolent of chocolate-covered malt balls, but the palate didn't really deliver the cocoa that I wanted. When it comes to their flavored varieties I much prefer the delicious organic raspberry ale. Their oatmeal stout is also very solid, though that's not news to most of you...

A chocolate stout I did have recently that I liked much better than the Samuel Smith was the Boatswain from Wisconsin. Really satisfying dark brew with actually more of a predominant coffee flavor, undergirded by chocolate. At $2.75 for a large bottle from Trader Joe's, I have to say I was well chuffed.

Also had Ommegang's Three Philosophers again recently and was not disappointed. Wonderful ale, that. I really want to try Ommegang's Rare Vos now, since their Hennepin saison was really nice as well. Ommegang is just a damn good brewery in general.

caspian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:53 pm 

Yeah, the SS Nut Brown is pretty boring, but I wonder if that's just a general indifference to brown ale's in general. Certainly a pretty bland kind of beer. Their oatmeal and imperial stouts are godly, though, specially the Imperial. For some reason it went from being common here to really hard to find, #firstworldproblems

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:37 pm 

For all you sour fans I highly recommend Petrus Aged Pale. Very sour and crisp with no sweetness whatsoever. I might it even like it more than Russian Rivers sours.

untappd: patrick_g

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:00 am 

One new beer, and an old (well, relatively new) favourite.

The Mad Abbot is quite tasty - full, smooth and rich, and a lovely dark colour in the glass. Quite delicious actually. I need not say much about the Big Eye, as it's a smashing IPA, and fantastic when nice and cold.

My collection

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:33 pm 

I really should try more Sculpin beers. We didn't get them in my old place before I sort-of moved out east, but now both places I travel to have Sculpin products. The only one I've had was Victory at Sea and it was quite tasty.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 86  Next