~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:01 am 

Woolie_Wool wrote:

Klostritzer Schwarzbier
Weihenstephaner Korbinian
Ayinger Celebrator
Spaten Optimator
Samuel Adams Double Bock (not German, but nails the style perfectly)

I haven't had all of the ones you listed, but these get my stamp of approval. He probably won't want Spaten though, as they are owned by AB/Inbev. Shame that the Sam Adams Double Bock is apparently no longer year-round in four-packs, it was the best beer in their lineup. Occasionally a bit hot, but still good.

Korbinian is my favorite one there. Very much like liquid bread.

Quote:
Highly concentrated liver destruction agent:
Schloss Eggenberg Samichlaus Classic/Samichlaus Helles (both 14% ABV--be careful!)

Hehe. These were at one point tied for strongest beer in the world, and I'm pretty sure they are still the strongest bottom-fermented beers in the world. One bit of advice for anyone trying these: get two of the smaller bottles, have one fresh, then don't touch the other for four or five years. I've never had the Classic any older than two years, but I had a 4.5-year bottle of the Helles last year (2007 bottling) that was amazing. Totally unlike a doppelbock, very much like a barleywine in fact, delicious.

But yeah, "this tastes like gasoline" seems to be a pretty common sentiment for fresh bottles of either. I had the 2010 classic when it was less than two months old (I have no idea how the states managed to get bottles that fresh) and thought it tasted like butterscotch/butter-rum flavored pennies when it was fresh, for what it's worth.

Quote:
Schloss Eggenberg Urbock 23 (extremely strong, like a "doppelmaibock")

And I thought this one tasted like metal, for what that's worth.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:20 pm 

I've been really loving Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout lately. It may be my new favorite chocolate stout. It's so damn good.

Spoiler: show

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:06 am 

Two brews I'm trying tonight:

Wicked Elf Witbier and a Dundee IPA.

The Wicked Elf is a brewery located in Port Macquarie (about 3.5 hours north of me), and it's obvious what style it's aiming at. I have tried a few Aussie wheats/whits whatever, and despite the bashings some have received on beer review sites, I like them, so we'll see how this one is... The Dundee I have never had before, but is brewed in Rochester NY. Anyone seen/had this one?

My collection

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:45 am 

I've had the Dundee. Found it pretty bland to be honest.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:49 am 

Bezerko wrote:
I've had the Dundee. Found it pretty bland to be honest.

That's what I gathered from peek at beeradvocate and ratebeer, and my own hunch of it being kind of forgettable but perfectly fine. Still, it looks like you got a fine group of session beers at a good price.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:33 pm 

For those of you in the Northeastern U.S.:
I don't know how popular Weyerbacher is as I'm still kind of new to the wonderful world of beer, but this was my first experience with one of their brews. Apparently, the company is in Easton, Pennsylvania (I live around Canton, Ohio) for what it's worth. This was a surprisingly pleasant sample bottle for $4. The label boasts "Imperial Stout aged in OAK barrels"- and I knew after the first swig that this was much different than any other beer I've tried so far. I did some research and discovered the company stores this particular brew in the same barrels they have used to make bourbon... the whiskey flavor stands out more than anything for me. Now I'm curious to see if they make the exact same beer in their [regular?] barrels. I'd like to taste both of them back-to-back just to comprehend how much of a difference an aging barrel makes in the taste of a beer.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:31 am 

bassistneededlolnot wrote:
For those of you in the Northeastern U.S.:
I don't know how popular Weyerbacher is as I'm still kind of new to the wonderful world of beer, but this was my first experience with one of their brews. Apparently, the company is in Easton, Pennsylvania (I live around Canton, Ohio) for what it's worth. This was a surprisingly pleasant sample bottle for $4. The label boasts "Imperial Stout aged in OAK barrels"- and I knew after the first swig that this was much different than any other beer I've tried so far. I did some research and discovered the company stores this particular brew in the same barrels they have used to make bourbon... the whiskey flavor stands out more than anything for me. Now I'm curious to see if they make the exact same beer in their [regular?] barrels. I'd like to taste both of them back-to-back just to comprehend how much of a difference an aging barrel makes in the taste of a beer.

For weyerbacher, there's quite a difference. The barrel aged version you have is mostly burbon wood and booze, while their plain imperial stout old heathen is more licorice, coffee and choclate flavors. Barrel aging makes a lot of their beers much better, because they tend to have problems with alcohol burn otherwise, the barrel aged barleywine insanity, the quad blasphemy are both much better than the original. Other than that, merry monks and double simcoe ipa are also very good. Since you live near ohio try hoppin' frogs beers, they're expensive but very good.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:43 am 

Both the Dundee and the Wicked elf I had were disappointing. However to make up for that, I went and bought these six today (about $60 worth)...

Feral Brewing Co smoked porter, Grimbergen Tripel and a Northcoast Brewing Co 2012 Old Stock Ale.

St Ambroise Russian Imperial Stout, Moor Smokey Horyzon (smoked rye ale) and a Renaissance Brewing Co's Voyager IPA.

Most of these are fairly heavy brews (yay!) ABV-wise (except the Moor), and promise to be big on flavour and punch, as they all sound bloody delicious. Sweeet...

My collection

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:32 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:

and a Renaissance Brewing Co's Voyager IPA.

congrats. on the Renaissance, never had a bad brew by them. The porter is great if your into that. How much did it cost you btw? I can tell you now, it's not cheap in it's country of origin.

What am I drinking right now?

yeah yeah... its cheap and to be honest kind of just what i felt like drinking right now.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:40 am 

Ewww VB.

As for the Renaissance, it cost me about $13 over here, and it was pretty good. Not as hoppy as what I have sort of come to expect from most IPA's, but it still had a decent flavour profile, and will try more from this brand. They had the porter there too, so maybe next time...

My collection

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:00 am 

Beer for the next few weeks:
sierra nevada bigfoot, haven't had this for a while & looking forward to breaking the drought!
Yet more cooper's extra stout
This cool Progress Ale 25th anniversary, at $25 per litre bottle it had better be good
Chimay reserve

Going to be enjoyable!

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:08 am 

The_Kreator wrote:
Drinking Bud Light right now, that shit sucks but it's cheap.
I like the Dutch beers, of course. Duvel is my favorite.

Speaking about...

I have been disappeared from this topic for some time but those are the beers (2 of them, really) I drank yesterday:
-Affligem Dubbel (AGAIN!):

-Duvel:

Nice ones!

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:50 am 

CrushedRevelation, Old Stock Ale is decent stuff at one year old (the 2012's are about 16 months old now) and truly great at two years old. I've got a few 2010's I'm waiting for the right time to crack, plus some 2011's I'm probably going to wait until next year to open.

On paper, the recipe for that beer is basically a clone of J.W. Lees Harvest Ale, so I wouldn't be surprised if it could go 8-10 years.

CatFlatulence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:49 pm 

So many good beers in this thread.

This weekend the liquor store I work at got the Rogue Barleywine. Can't wait to try it.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:56 am 

caspian wrote:

Always excellent. We don't get a lot of Aussie beers here, except for the obvious cheap shitter's. A few have been creeping into the market recently, James Squires and Little Creatures and others, but have come with quite hefty price tags attached so haven't yet been able to try. Quite like Cascade's Stout though for what it's worth (is stout maybe something of an Australian specialty?).

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:59 am 

Best of the James Squire's is the golden ale and the porter. The rest is pretty forgettable.

Stout isn't really an Australian specialty, but Cascade and Cooper's have been producing their stouts for decades so they're sort of a bit of an institution - particularly the liquid meal that is Cooper's Best Extra Stout (of which I have a couple sitting in the fridge at the moment).

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:35 am 

Had third coast old ale this the other night, highly recommended. Balanced, but in away that the the hops and boozy dark fruit malt are constantly fighting each other on the palate. Everything I've had from bell's has been awesome. Had sam adams boston lager and summer ale at a random grocery store tasting. The lager was decent but not spectacular, some light malts with a citrus hop finish, i actually enjoyed the summer ale more just because it had more of a zesty banana and lemon flavor giving it more character than the somewhat generic 'beer' flavor you git off the lager. I have to give special mention to a local seasonal, yard's saison, a very spicy tasting saison that stilll comes off as refreshing.

Oh, and I had both smuttynose's 'gravitation (quad)', and 'zinneke(belgian stout)', the quad was decent, but simple, but the zinneke was aged in burbon, and had a bunch of roasted chocolate, earthy wood, vanilla, coffee, dark fruit, some belgian yeast and straight roast flavor, excellent beer. Oh, and I learned never to follow a 12% abv quad with 2 glasses of wine and 9 shots of hard liquor. Resulted in me rolling around on the floor and pouring salt on my head. And puking my guts out the next day for two whole minute straight, and spending the time before that feeling on the brink of constantly being on the edge of throwing up. So I learned my lesson there :P

caspian

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:17 am 

schizoid wrote:
caspian wrote:

Always excellent. We don't get a lot of Aussie beers here, except for the obvious cheap shitter's. A few have been creeping into the market recently, James Squires and Little Creatures and others, but have come with quite hefty price tags attached so haven't yet been able to try. Quite like Cascade's Stout though for what it's worth (is stout maybe something of an Australian specialty?).

Nice to see more Cooper's love! Little Creatures is good man. The pale ale anyway. Squire's golden ale used to be awesome but they've gotten remarkably worse the past few years. Owned by a macro brew now. Maybe they always were, I'm not sure but irrespective of that, their Golden Ale is no longer the tour de force that it was 8 years ago. Thinking about it, it may have been my first non-cheap lager which is why I'm so fond of it :)

Bezerko, working my way through a case myself, four left after the one I'm having now :(

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:31 pm 

Done with finals. Now to celebrate with Three Philosophers and Dirty Bastards. Because I'm a philosopher and a dirty bastard, naturally.

Also got this:

Three Floyds Dreadnaught. Never tried anything from this particular brewery, but it's one of my best friend's favorites. Think I'll split this with him.
Death metal is eternal.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:42 am 

Forgot to post about this. On Friday night I tried two different beers. First was "The Highlander" scotch ale (not too sure of the brewery for this one). Great winter brew with a good bit of smoke in the flavour. The other was McLaren Vale Brewing Company's VALE/EXP003, a rhubarb witbier(!). Had two schooners of the stuff, not too sure what I think of it. The rhubarb flavour was very intense, not very recognisable as beer to be honest. :lol: That said, it went down quite well and I think the flavour mellowed a bit when it warmed up. Definitely lives up to its experimental nature!

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:43 pm 

Two local beers today:

Murry's Seasons in the Abyss and the Heart of Darkness. Murry's Brewery is about 45mins from my place, and is an excellent brewery with some damn fine stock beers (their Angry Man pale and Whale Ale being two of my favourite session brews...), but they also do a whole host of others. The Seasons in the Abyss is a strong "farmhouse" Imperial stout (11.3% ABV), and I haven't tried one before, yet I am anticipating great things with this.

The Heart of Darkness is a Belgio Imperial stout (9.3% ABV), and again, never tried one, but can't wait to taste it! Murry's has never let me down in both the quality of their beers, and the taste, so these should be excellent. These were both $11 for each 330ml bottle.

My collection

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:42 pm 

Murray's Dark Knight is my favourite porter. Outstanding brewery.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:11 pm 

picked up a four pack of Sierra Nevada's 2013 Bigfoot Barleywine Style ale to try with my bro tonight!

Anyone had this brew before? thoughts?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:02 pm 

Bigfoot? Yeah, I've had my share. Tastes more like an IPA than a barleywine, by a long shot. Still good though.

caspian

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:15 am 

I'm working my way through a case now. Agree with earthcubed, it's basically a really strong IPA, nowhere near as intense as a Barleywine (a style that I've had maybe 4 of and loved, would get more if I was a rich man). Also got some 10 year anniversary Prospect Ale in a big ass bottle that I left at my parents' place like a champion.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:50 am 

Everyone seems to agree it tastes more like a barleywine with age, but unfortunately nobody can agree on the age. The old bottles, back when it was a twist-off, apparently still tasted pretty hoppy at five years. I can't imagine the newer pry-offs would fade faster than a twist-off, so....fuck. Might have to wait 7-8 years before it starts to taste more like a barleywine.

Sierra' ability to retain hop bitterness and flavor in their beers is pretty astounding. Bigfoot is the third or fourth beer of their's I've had that didn't taste substantially different with a year or more on it compared to fresh. :scratch:

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:41 am 

So, can we post in here about alcohol that is not beer?

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

LanceCriminal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:04 am 

Anybody here ever fucked with Red Horse?

Made by San Miguel...It's dirt cheap, tastes pretty good and has a 7% alc content. In other words it's awesome!

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:05 am 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
So, can we post in here about alcohol that is not beer?

Depends on the kind of alcohol. There is already the whisk(e)y thread which might as well include most talk about other, comparable spirits like cognac, brandy and rum. Cider and mead could be folded into this one. Wine on the other hand would preferably be put into a thread of its own since it's a whole different bag of tricks.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:45 am 

Actually, whiskey was what I was looking for. Thanks.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Exigence

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:15 pm 

My bar just got in the goose island IPA and 312. Also fat tire and it's summer seasonal.

Right now I'm drinking Abita Purple Haze draught mixed 50/50 with Abita andygator. Called a "Barney" or Puple Gator down here.

caspian

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:27 pm 

Tried this last night, 's ok. It's kind of like a cooper's best extra but with less power behind it. Less bitter, less body.. bit of an entry level thing really. I think I should have let it warm up a bit more before I drunk it.

Will have this one tonight. Looking forward to it, their super hoppy IPA is about as un-subtle as it gets but it's a nice blast of fruity hops. I haven't seen any imperial stouts available here all year, so as long as this one's black and suitably bitumen-esque I'll probably be all over it, subtleness be damned.

Edit: crushed, how'd you find the feral? Pretty sure they're a local microbrewery, they do some good stuff. Rather fond of their Hop hog; a rather nice torpedo DIPA rip off

caspian

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:25 am 

Any australians or kiwishad this? $5 at dan murphy's for a long neck. Ridiculous. It won't blow your mind but the biscuity sorta malt stuff, the stone fruit, and the really well balanced hops combine to make one of the tastiest pale ales I've ever had. And yeah, ridiculously cheap.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:16 am 

Never seen it. Wish I had a Dan's around locally.

On Old Reliable tonight - VALE/IPA.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:11 pm 

caspian wrote:
[/spoiler]
Any australians or kiwishad this? $5 at dan murphy's for a long neck. Ridiculous. It won't blow your mind but the biscuity sorta malt stuff, the stone fruit, and the really well balanced hops combine to make one of the tastiest pale ales I've ever had. And yeah, ridiculously cheap.

Yep, Stoke, that's a pretty well known Nelson brewery. They used to do Mac's until it was bought out by one of the big breweries. Glad to hear its cheap there, it certainly isn't here (in it's fucking country of origin, outrage...)

caspian

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:35 pm 

Yeah, it used to be a fair bit more expensive but no one bought it :???: so it just kept on getting marked down. Must be getting sold at cost price or something now. For a very nice longneck it's retardedly cheap for sure. I think I'm the only one who buys it, but that's ok with me :)

LanceCriminal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:02 am 

I got around to trying Leffe....I'm in love!

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:38 am 

caspian wrote:
Edit: crushed, how'd you find the feral? Pretty sure they're a local microbrewery, they do some good stuff. Rather fond of their Hop hog; a rather nice torpedo DIPA rip off

I've had the Feral Hop Hog and quite liked it; as for the smoked porter, well it was bloody good! Really nice (and thick) smokey aftertaste to compliment the porter style. Would definitely buy more.

My collection

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:10 pm 

High Water/Drakes Brewing: Campfire Stout: A+

Apparently Drakes can do little wrong. They make an IPA I actually enjoy, I'm a fan of the straight forward pale 1500, and this High Water brewed at their facility I picked up on a lark at the Metro's outer bar. Easily the best blind buy since The Trappist. When I went in to await the Return to Chaos, I was absentmindedly double fisting this and a Jameson. After a couple rewarding draughts of the Campfire, I was in a drink dilemma. Deciding quickly, I downed the Jameson and sat the pint cup on top of the rocks in the tumbler to chill the beer. No way I was hurrying through this thing. It tasted like malt-smoked coffee dark chocolate cake with Bailey's whipped cream. In a cup .. in my hand. The crowd melted away, and Noothgrush was nothing but an underwhelming blur in the background.

I've tasted Belgian blondes that are sweeter than this beer, but none make me think of dessert. Usually just overripe fruit. This beer should probably be served along with a glass of port. A literally delicious beverage. I'm an idiot for not drinking more of it instead of more Jameson.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:43 am 

The nearby supermart stocks Duvel and Erdinger Weissbrau now! So much for staying sober at home.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 86  Next