Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:08 pm 

Maybe, I've smoked entirely too much reefer. However, can an imperial IPA and a double IPA be considered the same thing due to the fact that when shortened to an acronym, the double can be read as IIPA, hence imperial IPA?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:24 pm 

You have smoked too much reefer. Both just mean "strong."

Man, still glowing over how good the selection is at the local supermarket now. Went back there for a grocery haul and couldn't resist checking out the beer section again...not only did they restock the whole Japanese beer shelf, which was looking a bit grim the second time I went in the year 1 A.B. (in the new calendar's reckoning, after the arrival of beer), they also added even more new stuff. They had Victory Storm King! Grabbed one of those and enjoyed it last night. One of my favorite RIS ever so having it available within walking distance is pure joy.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:16 pm 

It's finally getting cold enough for me to break out the stouts, good times. Have a bunch of "underneath the sink"-aged beers. Turns out you cellar a coopers extra stout for a year and it goes from "solid extra stout" to some sort of rich, forever unfolding thingo that you'd pay ten times the amount for. Currently having a Return of the Dread extra stout by Little Creatures. Still good but it's gotten maybe a tiny bit sour from the cellaring. Really like it, but perhaps 6 months tops is the longest it can sit.

Sad story of the year: me buying a barrel aged Narwhal, the wife accidentally dropping it when she was unpacking the car. The garage smelled great for a day or two but jeez, it was real heartbreaking. I've got some barrel aged Founders (backwoods drifter or something?) that hopefully will make up for it.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:44 pm 

caspian wrote:
It's finally getting cold enough for me to break out the stouts, good times. Have a bunch of "underneath the sink"-aged beers. Turns out you cellar a coopers extra stout for a year and it goes from "solid extra stout" to some sort of rich, forever unfolding thingo that you'd pay ten times the amount for. Currently having a Return of the Dread extra stout by Little Creatures. Still good but it's gotten maybe a tiny bit sour from the cellaring. Really like it, but perhaps 6 months tops is the longest it can sit.

Sad story of the year: me buying a barrel aged Narwhal, the wife accidentally dropping it when she was unpacking the car. The garage smelled great for a day or two but jeez, it was real heartbreaking. I've got some barrel aged Founders (backwoods drifter or something?) that hopefully will make up for it.

Backwoods Bastard is great, I normally don't care for regular scotch ales but barrel-aged scotch ales are delicious. Shame about the ba narwhal, I cracked my 2015 at the start of the year and it was amazing.

caspian

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:48 pm 

yeah I'll just buy another next time I'm at the decent beer store, but it was still horrible to witness. Pretty psyched on it. I might buy it and crack it for my little man's 2 year bday or something.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:47 am 

Splurged a little bit. Got some basic stuff, including an IPA by a Korean craft brewery called The Booth, plus some Fuller's London Pride, but then I also picked up a 2015 bottle of Goose Island Gillian, which is named after Gillian Anderson and is a strong saison with interesting stuff in it. Paid about $20 for the 750ml bottle, which I thought was high, but I guess that's not much worse than it'd likely cost back home. They have a couple other neat Goose Island big bottles (not to mention a bunch of Stone ones) so maybe I'll just drink one a week until I've had them all. I'd pace myself better than that except you never know how long this quality of beer is gonna be kept up.

caspian

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:57 pm 

Man that backwoods bastard was ridiculously good. This is why you drink craft I reckon- pilseners can go and get fucked, and session pales are super boring. Give me an eye wateringly bitter IPA or a scotch ale that tastes like someone put ten shots of bourbon in it.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:43 pm 

caspian wrote:
Give me an eye wateringly bitter IPA or a scotch ale that tastes like someone put ten shots of bourbon in it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Couldn't have said it better myself.

Speaking of strong beer & bourbon, just tried this year's Kentucky Breakfast Stout and it's excellent as always.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:02 am 

Also on that big beer train: went to a place near the trendy cafe district. It's in the basement (usually a good sign) and it's called The Merry Boozer. Shockingly they didn't even have a single shitty macro lager available at all. Not on tap, not in bottles. Good sign for sure.

They had eight taps, all Korean craft beer. I had a really solid Winter IPA by The Hand and Malt, which is a brewery up in Seoul I've never been to but had some beers by before at beer festivals. Really solid IPA foundation but super dark with a bit of roastiness and spicing that was possibly aggressive but wound up being pretty subtle alongside the roasty flavors and big hops. Very good beer.

Also had a bottle of iStout by 8Wired out of New Zealand. Just super full, rich in the mouth with a little bit of a grainy texture to it. Supposedly it's 10% ABV but I didn't feel that until I hopped off my bar stool to head home. Feels like an imperial milk stout almost, just tons of milky chocolate and some espresso in there, with the bitterness from the burnt malt and hops not really making themselves apparent until the very end. Unlike many stouts this was also super good real cold right out of the fridge. The flavor changed to favor the roasts and coffee and less of the milky chocolate as it warmed. Really phenomenal and not obscenely expensive either.

Edit: finally got around to getting Untappd. Same username as here. Add me or whatever!

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:53 pm 

I have only tasted one beer from 8Wired, it was an IPA.
It was amazing though. Hope it will be available over here again.

Also I added you on untapped :P

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:56 pm 

caspian wrote:
Man that backwoods bastard was ridiculously good. This is why you drink craft I reckon- pilseners can go and get fucked, and session pales are super boring. Give me an eye wateringly bitter IPA or a scotch ale that tastes like someone put ten shots of bourbon in it.

This is my way of thinking as well :wink:

forestcorpse wrote:
I have only tasted one beer from 8Wired, it was an IPA.
It was amazing though. Hope it will be available over here again.

8Wired are a great NZ brewery, with some amazing beers available. Two more brewers I can recommend checking out (if you ever see them) are ParrotDog and Renaissance. Both of these guys do excellent things with beer :thumbsup:

Speaking of ParrotDog, while in Sydney for a weeks worth of health and safety training I managed to find me two four packs of ParrotDog's Bitterbitch IPA. Wonderfully strong IPA with a decent balance of of in your face hops, and a rounded dose of good maltiness to close out the mouth feel. Good stuff.

My collection

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:13 am 

Actually the 8Wired guy is apparently Scandinavian! He's a Dane who migrated down that way. Apparently they do a lot of barrel aged sours? That sounds pretty amazing...

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:29 am 

Well there you go eh :)

Yes they do have experiment with sours quite a bit, as I've seen many variants at my import beer shop, some are really damn tasty from memory, but I would be hard pressed to name them. New Zealand's burgeoning craft beer is as good as any from the world in my experience. Most of the heavy hitters I've mentioned - Renaissance, 8Wired, Garage Project, ParrotDog, Tuatara and even Moa all do some world class beers in my humble opinion. As an Aussie with many awesome breweries around, I still find that if I see a beer from any of these I see that I haven't tried, I will buy it. I really dig NZ craft beer.

Oh and a shout out to caspian - man if you see Renaissance's Stone Cutter scotch ale anywhere, buy as many as you can afford!! Bloody delicious.

My collection

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:31 am 

iamntbatman wrote:

Edit: finally got around to getting Untappd. Same username as here. Add me or whatever!

Glad to hear you all enjoying NZ beer, just wish I could too :(

Sent request for Untappd, anyone else who wants to get amongst, see the link in my sig...

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:10 am 

Added you! I have the ''Skogslik'' account name.
Norwegian for forestcorpse :P

We had a new beer release today, so I got up early and was ready when they was released online.
Ended up with a lot of stuff...!
Will get it next week i guess.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:26 am 

schizoid wrote:
Sent request for Untappd, anyone else who wants to get amongst, see the link in my sig...

I would, but I have signatures disabled, because they're full of pointless stuff...

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:38 am 

Went beer shopping tonight and bought eight La Trappe quads, A White Rabbit sour red and a Mountain Goat Attack of the Killer Hops IPA. The last two are Australian, and both pretty darn good breweries, so will see how they go. Just about to open the sour red.

My collection

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:42 am 

Nice!
I have a 0,75 bottle of the La Trappe quad in my basement. Still havent found the right time for it :P

Will have some beers tonight before and at the local metal festival we have every year.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:29 am 

Nice choice. La Trappe is one of my all time favourite beers for the colder season, by Australian standards :grin: and always best drunk when the weather gets chilly.

My collection

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:31 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:

Just sent you a request.

BrunoDompierre, anyone feel free to add me.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:52 am 

Digging into that 2015 bottle of Goose Island Gillian just now...goddamn, what a tasty beer. I like this a lot more than most sours as there's just a hell of a lot more depth to it. There's a solid saison foundation, including all of the peppercorns and yeast you'd expect, but then it's got layers and layers of rich wed wine, berries (the bottle says strawberries but I almost feel more of a raspberry taste is dominating) and honey. All of these flavors hit all at once right up front, then there's a delightful lingering dryness, both of which work amazingly well with the really light body. Ace.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:54 am 

$20 for Gillian is actually cheap, the 2015 release was closer to $30 stateside in just about all markets including Chicago. Bought it once, made the mistake of bringing it to a house party, and it was all gone when I went to the fridge to crack it. True story. :(

Also true story: it was originally named Scully, but Fox (the media conglomerate) had a hissy fit.

I really like Halia (peaches in white wine barrels) and Juliet (blackberries in cabernet barrels) as far as Goose Island sours go.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:03 pm 

I think they've got those, too! Gonna work my way through 'em.

Thrashman1997
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:30 pm 

In the short couple of years I've been allowed to have beer, I've had some good ones and some extremely shitty fucking beer. Most of the time we drink Milwaukee's Best Premium, compared to the shit the neighbor drinks its actually pretty good I think. The neighbor used to always buy this really cheap and nasty shit called 'natty daddy'. Fucking horrid, too damn sweet, not enough hops, blehshehhihs. Same thing with Milwaukee's best ice, too much alcohol and too sweet. I don't have a problem with alcohol content unless it fucks with the taste. But on the flip side I fucking love Redd's Apple Ale and Angry Orchard when we get some. It doesn't last long and I get rowdy and start up on my guitar. I've had Guinness, I got two six packs for my last birthday, good stuff, but I drank it too fast (and I had some Everclear too so...) I had a bad night that night :s BUT I learned! There was some other kind of beer that was good, I think it was some IPA or something, I think it was Goose Island IPA, that was a few months ago. (Also just so ya know, I don't know jack shit about beer types. I just know that there is good beer and not so good beer, and shit beer.) And of course I've had plenty of other booze...

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:06 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I think they've got those, too! Gonna work my way through 'em.

Just be wary when opening Juliet. There has been a very juvenile refrain on BeerAdvocate ever since the first bottling way back when (2009 I think): "Juliet is a squirter."

Crystal_Logic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:09 pm 

Thrashman1997 wrote:
I've had Guinness, I got two six packs for my last birthday, good stuff

Guinness is delicious and pretty much the standard but it has to be on draught (and even then some pubs have bad taps) or in bottles. Guinnes in a can is just...wrong.

Thrashman1997
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:10 pm 

Yeah it was in bottles, but I wonder, is the stuff in Ireland better than the American stuff? Because my dad says he doesn't like Guinness much anymore which is kinda weird to me, considering he used to like it alot, and he doesn't like sweet beer at all (besides apple stuff).

I'm tryina think too, I coulda sworn up and down I've had some other beer too... what was it..

Thrashman1997
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:13 pm 

Guinness, Goose Island, Apple Stuff, Milwaukee's, Oh well bud light doesn't count :P, AH I REMEMBER! Corona! HA, yeah Corona I like, with lime. I know somebody mentioned before that they didn't like Corona because it was cheap shit or something but I think it beats the fuck outta the shit my neighbor drinks, heh.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:27 pm 

Have had some good luck with trying new beer lately. Just had Beau's gruit ale and have to say it was surprisingly good. It's one of those random buys I half expected to be horrible, but it was quite refreshing on a day like this and the fruitiness wasn't overbearing at all. The lime aftertaste was a great touch. Kind of makes me think of what I wish Corona was.

Calabogie Brown Cow Milk stout just might be my new favourite beer. I've never had a stout so ridiculously smooth, which the nitro is largely responsible for. Quite flavourful and almost dangerously easy to drink. I've been a fan of Big Rig's Release the Hounds black IPA for a while now, and their double chocolate stout is just as good. Very smooth and rich, and just the right amount of sweet.

Thrashman1997
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:38 am 

Aw man yer makin me thirsty!

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:00 am 

Last couple of months or so, haven't had much of a desire to drink anything other than sours, which I'd just recently found a grocery store near-ish to work that has a pretty nice selection of ones I haven't had yet (for the area anyways). Had gotten a bottle of Rodenbach Caractere Rouge which is just wonderful.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:00 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Woo! Garage Project! Fantastic brewery, been there personally and they always have some truly great beers. If you ever find it Corpse, I heartily recommend the Venusian Pale Ale - wonderfully delicious pale with a hint of coriander/cilantro. Refreshing and damn tasty.

The VPA just got available, so I ordered one right away + another bottle of the ''Pernicious Weed''.
They are both bottled in late march this year so only about two months old, not bad for a NZ beer here in Norway.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:05 pm 

Whoa, jealous!

Been really enjoying the upped beer ante. Just tonight I had some Coopers, some Priori Tongerlo Brun, Victory Golden Monkey and just now I've been sipping on this Mc Chouffre. I've got some Hobgoblin as well!

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:12 pm 

Was in San Francisco this week for work and had a shitload of good beer:

-Pliny the Elder: This isn't the strongest/hoppiest IPA ever, but I think its legendary status is warranted because it's definitely the most perfectly-balanced.

- Solidarity Forever (by The Rare Barrel brewery): Limited-release blend of golden sour beers aged in oak barrels with rose petals, chamomile, and coriander. Very balanced despite all the different flavors, with the coriander coming through the strongest and augmenting the sourness surprisingly well.

- Barrel-aged Monster's Park with Coconut and Cocoa Nibs: Ran into a Modern Times tap takeover at the Mikkeller Bar downtown. I love coconut in barrel-aged stouts (just like the legendary Prop '13) and this didn't disappoint.

Coming back to SF in a month and I'll be making a day trip one of the days to Russian River Brewing with my friend. Honestly considering bringing an extra suitcase to bring back all the Pliny and -tion's.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:23 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Whoa, jealous!

Been really enjoying the upped beer ante. Just tonight I had some Coopers, some Priori Tongerlo Brun, Victory Golden Monkey and just now I've been sipping on this Mc Chouffre. I've got some Hobgoblin as well!

I have only tried the ''Houblon Chouffe'', but that was a really good one!
And I do have a bottle of the ''La Chouffe'' here.

I didn't really like Belgian beers that much before, but they are growing on me a lot now.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:35 pm 

Oh Gnu, Pliny's legendary status is 100% deserved. Glorious, glorious IPA. I'm not sure about the Midwest, but the Pliny stand-in I've always gone to over on the east coast is Troeg's Nugget Nectar, which I think is a really comparable and criminally underrated beer.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:12 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Oh Gnu, Pliny's legendary status is 100% deserved. Glorious, glorious IPA. I'm not sure about the Midwest, but the Pliny stand-in I've always gone to over on the east coast is Troeg's Nugget Nectar, which I think is a really comparable and criminally underrated beer.

Closest thing in the midwest we have is Three Floyd's Zombie Dust, which is close (95% to Pliny's 100% if we're going by MA grading).

It seems that a lot of west-coast breweries have been imitating the cloudy/juicy east coast IPA pseudo-style. I know a lot of folks aren't fans, but I love it - a few months ago my cousin bought some Heady Topper back from a business trip to Vermont and it totally lived up to the hype.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:32 pm 

forestcorpse wrote:
CrushedRevelation wrote:
Woo! Garage Project! Fantastic brewery, been there personally and they always have some truly great beers. If you ever find it Corpse, I heartily recommend the Venusian Pale Ale - wonderfully delicious pale with a hint of coriander/cilantro. Refreshing and damn tasty.

Spoiler: show

The VPA just got available, so I ordered one right away + another bottle of the ''Pernicious Weed''.
They are both bottled in late march this year so only about two months old, not bad for a NZ beer here in Norway.

Nice work there! :thumbsup: hope you enjoy the Venusian, as it's a great warm weather beer, with enough flavour and zestiness to satisfy. Damn I love that beer.

My collection

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:52 am 

Is anyone familiar with Gasconha? It's the only thing in town even remotely interesting, but it's pretty damn pricey. I'm guessing the local store got it in for the sizeable number of French expats in the area, but for the price they're asking I doubt anyone's buying. I'm waiting to see if the price drops when they realize they cant move it otherwise. I did once shell out for the brune, and it was reasonably solid. When I next get paid maybe I'll try another.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:12 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
It seems that a lot of west-coast breweries have been imitating the cloudy/juicy east coast IPA pseudo-style. I know a lot of folks aren't fans, but I love it - a few months ago my cousin bought some Heady Topper back from a business trip to Vermont and it totally lived up to the hype.

I love these new juicy ipas. NEIPA as they call them.
Having one now called ''Tasty Juice'' from Lervig.
Killer brewery and beer!

CrushedRevelation: I hope we get some warm days/eveings soon. Then I am gonna crack it!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 86  Next