Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:01 am 

Yeah, I like Rochefort 10 a decent amount but the first time I had the 6 I was delighted. It seems like the most refined of the three.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:24 am 

Got a bottle of Cascade's version of One Way Or Another, which I'm very much looking forward to.

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:05 pm 

Currently enjoying a Żywiec, pale lager from Poland. Refreshing, not bad.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:01 pm 

Matyu wrote:
Currently enjoying a Żywiec, pale lager from Poland. Refreshing, not bad.

Always seen, but assumed would be average.

I'm drinking Bear Beer lager ATM, will be a little while to wait on my Leffe shipment to come in :(

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:59 pm 

I had a couple of Spencer's Trappist ales yesterday. For $0.50 per bottle (Grocery Outlet for the win), it's one of the best beers in the world haha.

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:00 pm 

Yesterday I had a Straffe Hendrik Tripel, abbey tripel, brewed in Bruges, Belgium. Good beer.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:11 pm 

It's been ages since i posted in here... last Saturday i went to some dive bar hosting a Prairie tapping, holy hell. They had BOMB! in regular, chocolate, vanilla, coffee and chili, plus some other stuff, an IPA and a sour i believe. Sweet baby Jesus was the BOMB stuff good, I'd only had regular and birthday before. Chili is definitely my favourite.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:17 pm 

I've had the regular Bomb! plus three of the single-additive "deconstructed" versions; I think they were chile, vanilla, and coco. I agree the chile one was the best, after that I think I enjoyed the regular the most. I've also had Prairie Paradise, and I think I've had one of the Noir stouts as well. They've all been quite good.

The whole "Mexican hot chocolate" trend in stouts is probably my favorite beer trend. I don't care how gimmicky it is.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:13 am 

Kerrick wrote:
I had a couple of Spencer's Trappist ales yesterday. For $0.50 per bottle (Grocery Outlet for the win), it's one of the best beers in the world haha.

Those are damn good beers and already normally inexpensive, but 50c each is crazy! I first had their beer at The Big E fair a few years ago, and was impressed. Even more impressive, this past year the guy pouring beers at the fair was able to tell me where in my hometown (in another state!) to find one of their more limited beers. It was also nice that a 20oz pour of their quad was the same price as a Budweiser. :beer:

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:58 am 

bottleshop chain here in Aus has these on sale for $15 for 3x 750ml bottles:

It's probably the best widely-available drop in the country, at least the best pre-craft beer for sure. Not sure how easy it is to find overseas, but if you ever come across it, it's worth a sip.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:36 am 

Most people here are familiar with Copper's. The Extra Stout has been discussed plenty over time. The Sparkling Ale is decent, but nothing mind blowing. I would have thought $5 aus would be pretty standard anyway?

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:47 am 

Nah that's a 750ml bottle - the 375ml ones go for $4-5 normally, and a 6 pack is usually about $18 (pricing system here is better the more you buy). Normally 3 of the 750ml jobbies would be over $20.
Coopers has always been this beer that was the main alternative to the major breweries, and the sparkling has always been the best of the on-tap coopers beers.
The extra stout is godly, though. Good to know people are aware of it. I live in a cold region and my local beer has them on tap seasonally - nothing better than a few of them while the fire rages inside the pub. Gotta be careful though, cause it'll sit you on your arse if you're not careful. Potent stuff.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:44 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Kerrick wrote:

Those are damn good beers and already normally inexpensive, but 50c each is crazy! I first had their beer at The Big E fair a few years ago, and was impressed. Even more impressive, this past year the guy pouring beers at the fair was able to tell me where in my hometown (in another state!) to find one of their more limited beers. It was also nice that a 20oz pour of their quad was the same price as a Budweiser. :beer:

Yeah I was stoked! Grocery Outlet usually has decent prices for beer and then every once in a while they'll just have an absolute killer deal, like this. I haven't had their quad but I that's probably my favorite style of beer so I am quite intrigued. I'll have to keep an eye out for that... Does it usually come in 12 oz bottles?

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:46 am 

Turner wrote:
Nah that's a 750ml bottle - the 375ml ones go for $4-5 normally, and a 6 pack is usually about $18 (pricing system here is better the more you buy). Normally 3 of the 750ml jobbies would be over $20.
Coopers has always been this beer that was the main alternative to the major breweries, and the sparkling has always been the best of the on-tap coopers beers.
The extra stout is godly, though. Good to know people are aware of it. I live in a cold region and my local beer has them on tap seasonally - nothing better than a few of them while the fire rages inside the pub. Gotta be careful though, cause it'll sit you on your arse if you're not careful. Potent stuff.

The extra stout is probably my most drunk (?) beer over the year. Works in summer and winter IMO (I'm a few hours south of perth, so not the hottest place in the world). One of my favourite beers and I'd do horrible things to have it on tap. Highly recommend putting a 6 pack or two somewhere dark and cool and leaving it for year, btw- it ages spectacularly well. Gets way maltier, way mellower- absolutely sensational. Yeah coopers are pretty good, pretty fond of the extra strong vintage, and the red may not be world class but it's still real tasty, cheap, strong, easily available, etc. i'm having a green now- $46 for a carton when I bought it which is super cheap :)

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:10 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Kerrick wrote:

Spencer's Trappist is a really cool place. Worth a visit for solid beer and unique history (first and only recognized trappist brewery outside of Europe). I met the father/abbott/head dude in charge (?) when I worked in the industry. Great guy and a wonderful christian which is coming from a heathen like me.

Now drinking: Uncle Uncle Cousin Cousin from Veil brewery. First Ive had from Veil. Tough to get up here in New England but well worth the effort. This beer is DANK, BIG and JUICY. Almost on par with what we have up here in the North East :wink:

caspian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:32 pm 

@ThePoop I was chatting with someone else about trappist beer and its' links with christianity recently. Few things are as good a witness as to the benevolence and goodness of god as a nice trappist brew. The protestants got nothing in comparison.. Joel Osteen? Hillsong? lol

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:03 am 

Joel Osteen brewing beer, now there's a funny thought. To bleed over from a topic beat to death in the main sub, if an immoral cretin brews an incredible beer, is it ok to drink?

caspian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:46 am 

Doesn't really change from how I respond to music IMO, like I'd let a fair bit of shit slide but if a brewer got caught with a Thee Plague of Gentleman/Lostprophets-esque crime than I'd find another brand to drink, sure

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:38 am 

Haha, I was trying to be a bit tongue in cheek, but yeah I’m in agreement.

I am currently drinking On The Contrary from Springdale Brewery. This brewery started as the casking wing of Jacks Abby I believe, which if anyone is familiar with, have been brewing world class lagers for years. More recently Springdale has been making some really solid hoppy ales in the New England style, of which “On the contrary” is one. Highly recommended if you’re in the MA area cruisin for brews.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:57 am 

Budweiser the king of beers. I know its maybe t a obvious choice but still a great one.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:12 am 

Just got my beer delivery: 4 dozen Leffe blonde. It's just hit the best before date but still tastes fine, and cost less than $1 a bottle. Now I have something to drink other than "belgen", a cheap nasty lager that lists maize as one of the ingredients.

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:24 pm 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
Budweiser the king of beers. I know its maybe t a obvious choice but still a great one.

Known worldwide, great beer. I'm currently enjoying a Kirin Ichiban Shibori, from Japan.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:26 pm 

Evidently my brothers wife hates bud lite. I don't mind people having different opinions then mine but she didn't explain her reasons for not liking the stuff. It was just "it sucks" and that was that. Tough times.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:35 am 

got me a 6er of this shit this arvo:

It's hopped to next Tuesday but not offensively so, and at least it's over 5%. For some reason the trend in Australia is beers under 4.5% these days (with lots of breweries coming out with new beers around the 4,2 mark), and no amount of citrus note-esque hops can really disguise the lack of booze. I think there must have been some government-led push to make midstrength beer standard (instead of being what pussies drink at BBQs on Sundays cause they're driving) and the "big micro" breweries have definitely gotten behind it, but thankfully some of them remember there are still a heap of us out there who consider getting bombed central to the whole experience, and include the citrusy hops as a bonus. Pirate Life indeed!

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:36 am 

macro brewery?

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:34 am 

Been on a beer journey recently, picked up a few different Weihenstephaner pints which were all fanfuckingtastic. Vitus was the best of the three that I tried, reminded me of fresh bread.
also picked up Goose Island's Bourbon Stout which I'm very excited to find.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:56 am 

Unlike last year, I was able to find a handful of Bourbon County bottles and actually I probably could have gotten two more if I wanted to spend the money. Only the regular, but to be honest this year that's the only one I'm interested in. The coffee variant is perpetually overrated, they ruined the barleywine last year, and neither the Northwoods nor this year's Prop recipe really interest me that much.* I very seriously doubt that this year's Reserve either a) tastes much different from regular Bourbon County or b) that any especially different flavors would be any more attributable to the Knob Creek barrels than they are just normal batch variation.

I haven't opened any of the bottles yet, probably will open two closer to Christmas. The rest can be cellared. I recently had a 5-year bottle of Bourbon County, my oldest yet, and it was quite good.

*almonds? So Evil Twin, much Biscotti Break. And last year (I think, or maybe 2015) they had a Canadian Breakfast Stout tribute too. So weird to see BCBS become imitator rather than innovator.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:28 am 

I stopped chasing Bourbon County variants a few years ago, as I just can't justify the time and cost involved. If you live in the Chicago area, it's become much easier to find the regular BCBS, which is the one I'm partial to, anyway. Costco in Lake Zurich had a huge stack of the regular on Black Friday and there was still some left when I went back on Sunday. My local Jewel still had it on Sunday, too, although they were down to their last case when I was there.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:51 pm 

Saturday I had a bottle of Golden Draak Belgian ale which was quite good. On Friday I met up with some friends at the local brewery Steel Bonnet which makes delicious English style ales. Good stuff.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:26 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
I stopped chasing Bourbon County variants a few years ago, as I just can't justify the time and cost involved. If you live in the Chicago area, it's become much easier to find the regular BCBS, which is the one I'm partial to, anyway. Costco in Lake Zurich had a huge stack of the regular on Black Friday and there was still some left when I went back on Sunday. My local Jewel still had it on Sunday, too, although they were down to their last case when I was there.

Yeah Jewel was the first place I went, no hassle with a line or anything. I really didn't prep for it or anything; I wolk up from my turkey coma around 11am or so, strolled into Jewel at about noon, and got the regular no problem. Which was all I wanted this year.

If the barleywine was the same recipe + process as it used to be---ie, a barleywine aged in Bourbon County Stout barrels, giving it both a bourbon and a stout flavor---that beer would be my #1 beer priority every year no matter what. Also, it would be the only beer I would intentionally wait in a line for. I was bewildered and upset when they changed it last year.

Without it...meh. If I'm in the Chicago area around Black Friday I might seek out one of the non-coffee variants depending on what they're releasing that particular year, otherwise I'm not going to fret. This year, they announced a "Reserve Barleywine" which was aged in Bourbon County Rare 2015 barrels (along with three other variants I didn't give a shit about). That's pretty much as close as you can get to King Henry, which was (and will forever remain) Goose's best beer. So I was pretty psyched out. But as it got closer to black Friday they decided it wasn't good enough to release. Once they announced that, I felt no hype for this year's Bourbon County extravaganza. Got a few bottles of the regular and didn't give a second's thought to the variants.

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:56 am 

Had my first 650 ml bottle of Hop House lager, which is flavoured with apricot, so its got a sweet taste. I like the first one, but I can imagine that any more than two could make it a bit sickly because of the sweetness factor. I switched to big bottles of Peroni afterwards; 10 to be exact, and a vodka, and a tequila; I have a morning headache, but West Ham beat Chelsea parasites so I'm happy.

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:45 am 

Psyche_Dome wrote:
Had my first 650 ml bottle of Hop House lager, which is flavoured with apricot, so its got a sweet taste. I like the first one, but I can imagine that any more than two could make it a bit sickly because of the sweetness factor. I switched to big bottles of Peroni afterwards; 10 to be exact, and a vodka, and a tequila; I have a morning headache, but West Ham beat Chelsea parasites so I'm happy.

I love apricot beer. It was the first flavored beer I ever tried and it was early yet in my drinking career.. ended up getting mildly drunk at my boss' Christmas party but it holds a special place in my heart now :D

Psyche_Dome wrote:
I have a morning headache

Damn, I'd hope so lmao

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:47 pm 

I'm currently drinking Radeberger from Germany, Pilsner style. Great beer and great taste.
Very similar to the Pilsner Urquell from Czech Republic, which is one of my favorite beer.

moshpithooligan666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:05 pm 

good topic ! currently drinking hertog jan a nice beer from the netherlands.

caspian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:48 am 

Well dudes, I just had the Sink the Bismarck, that 41% IPA from brewdog.

I knew it was gonna be strong but I didn’t expect it to be anywhere near as mental as it is. There’s a bunch of liquorice and toffee and burnt butterscotch,maybe a bit of honey too, but it’s mostly pure hop oil. Incredibly bitter and a massive alcohol burn. Tried it cool but I think it’s best enjoyed warm when the alcohol/death by hop vibes mellows a bit. Deliberately warmed it up to a touch above room temperature and it's a lot more drinkable at that level. Kinda pours like port and has a deep viscous vibe to it.

I split it between four people and we basically carefully sipped it like a really strong scotch. The bottle is still half full, and will be finished at a later date.

It’s rewarding but more so really challenging. Like listening to Khanate at half speed, or reading War and Peace in Russian when you don’t really know the language. Yeah, I feel like I’ve drank a lot of barley wines and 20% stouts but this was in a whole other level. It's certainly not awful, but not something you would have particularly often. I'm saving the last half (the bottle comes with a stopper so you can have it over a few sessions) for winter, as a nice balmy 20C night is not really a good time to have what is basically a rather nice, but overwhelmingly hoppy spirit.

Overall my brother summed it up pretty well: "I didn't really enjoy it but everything else about it was great".

Suffice to say I reckon when I burp over the next two weeks I'll still taste it. Worth it if you can find it- it's genuinely one of a kind, beer bucket list kinda shit. No double IPA will ever feel strong again, that's for sure.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:12 pm 

To celebrate that the sun is turning today, I cracked this Barleywine from Nøgne Ø on 11%
Sunturnbrew, brewed in December 2014.

Very muchsmoke and ash,almost burnt.
Some honey, and smoke.
Really nice one.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:00 pm 

I’ve been eyeing Sierra Nevada’s special barrel-aged series A Trip In The Woods for at least a year haha but have never forked over the cash for any. As a Christmas gift my wife got me one. The series is old Sierra Nevada classics (of the heavier side such as their imperial stout, barley wine style ale, etc.) barrel-aged with some additional flavor. I got their Big Foot (barlyey wine style ale) with ginger. I’m very curious to try it out! Their traditional Big Foot is amazing so I have high hopes for this.

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:37 am 

Wassup y’all...

Never tried it but Dogfish 120. How the fuck does it “age well” as stated on the bottle, but have such a high amount of hops? It just doesn’t make sense to me. Does anyone have any experience with this? Seeing as IPA with a typical amount of hops starts to taste shitty after 90 days, I don’t get how this would be any different. I had a Belgian style IPA from Two Roads that was aged for a year on their unlocking the vault day. Even that, which was aged under perfect conditions, had weird off flavors. Luckily they complimented the malt and yeast and it wasn’t a bad beer whatsoever.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:56 pm 

120 Minute is not an IPA. It is a barleywine with a shitload of hops. I don't care what the brewery calls it, if you take an IPA-base and make it 18% you've pretty much brewed a hoppy barleywine. Having actually had the beer before, I can attest that it is sweeter than some liqueurs, with hop flavors added on top.

kellyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:14 am 

Our local brewery has an outmeal stout called the "Driftwood". It's 10/10 for me. I'm not great with describing beer, but it's just everything I want in a dark, smooth stout. Also I like Dreadnaught IPA from Three Floyd's. Fruity and delicious

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86  Next