Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:54 am 

People preorder things like music and video games to be the first ones to experience it (unless of course the music is leaked). But why do people really want to be the first to get things? I probably wouldn't care if I get a new Battlefield game a month or two later from it's release date. Nor would I mind getting a new album by any band later. Sure the companies try to make preordering music or games more worth it by putting it in special packaging or adding additional levels or multiplayer skins in games. I wouldn't kick myself for missing any of that.

Why do people preorder?

I've decided this is the only kind of collection in the world that matters.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:00 pm 

Most likely to get whatever video game, CD, DVD, etc. as soon as possible, and to make sure - in case of some unexpected surge of interest or highly unlikely event - that they will end up with said-item in their hands regardless of what happens.

I don't preorder, but that's all preference based on the individual. My friend preorders everything, basically assuming he'll drop over dead if the new Call of Duty game doesn't land in his hands on the midnight of its release, which I find a bit melodramatic, but whatever; that's his preference. My logic: things get cheaper when they've been released for a period of time and become easier to find, plus I hate scrambling around just to get something at a certain time.

Thrashpit
Last FM! - New Profile!

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:27 pm 

Ive only preordered a few things on amazon, mainly cause if you do, you get the lowest price that theyll advertise.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:34 pm 

Sometimes, yes, but mostly for price differences. I just pre-ordered an album+t-shirt combo for the re-release of Blut Aus Nord's "Mythical Beast of Rebellion" album, and the shipping is free. Other than that I don't preorder unless an item is limited to 200 copies or some such stuff.
Death metal is eternal.

Metantoine
Big Beautiful Famgot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:38 pm 

sometimes if you preorder something you get extra limited things
like Triptykon, i've got a cool poster. Also i've got the limited digibook version, so i'ts nice for that

and for the latest Slough Feg, i preordered it, and it came in the mail, like 3-4 days before his release date!!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Halberd

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:36 pm 

Well if it's a rerelease, I can get it. But if it's totally new, I'd rather see some reviews or listen to some samples first. I'd rather have things in my collection that I don't think suck.

I've decided this is the only kind of collection in the world that matters.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:41 pm 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
Sometimes, yes, but mostly for price differences. I just pre-ordered an album+t-shirt combo for the re-release of Blut Aus Nord's "Mythical Beast of Rebellion" album, and the shipping is free. Other than that I don't preorder unless an item is limited to 200 copies or some such stuff.

I was tempted to preorder that one, since the shirt looks cool and it is so limited, but since I don't like re-issues which change art/add songs I've opted against it.

The only thing I've ever pre-ordered was Agalloch's The White EP, like you, I'd only do it for things that are in limited numbers. I'm rarely up to speed enough to actually know of the existence of them before they're out though.

DarkMoonBlackSky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:06 am 

Wilytank wrote:
People preorder things like music and video games to be the first ones to experience it

Really? I just pre-order stuff because I want my tangible product ASAP :P

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.