Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:45 pm 

Last couple days have been great at the gym, but now I'm so sore. Latest progress pic:

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:19 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Last couple days have been great at the gym, but now I'm so sore.

I'm so sore I can barely move.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:28 pm 

And Wednesday is Leg Day! o_O

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:24 pm 

God damnit Derigin.

Edit: Ok, at the request of not me, here's some "progress" pictures. (i.e. pictures of me shirtless whilst being fat and pasty, my apologies in advance):

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

MLG_Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:39 pm 

Used to, now I just eat the pain away. :(

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:05 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Was back at the gym today for the first time in about three months, took big deloads of course, but holy hell haha. Legs feel like jello and I'm sure my pecs and arms are gonna hate me tomorrow (yeah you don't need it blah blah blah but I like adding arm accessories to StrongLifts so did curls today). Felt great though. Though I will have no problem continuing to work past this point, I'm hoping to hit a 400lb deadlift, 300lb squat and 250lb bench without plateauing too much on the way. I'm shooting for maybe hitting those goals in May or so? That'd make me super happy so we'll see.

Well, next week I'll start hitting some of last year's PR's. Feels pretty good to be around the same place I was after like half a year (plus several months of inefficient training prior to that) in what'll be about seven weeks I suppose. I'm still shooting for those same lift goals, roughly, but have decided to just aim for round numbers in kilograms since that's what I use at the gym. So I hope to get to a 200kg deadlift 1x5, 150kg squat 5x5 and 100kg bench 5x5.

I think those are reasonable numbers for me to shoot for and, with any luck, I will hit them around early summer or so. Once I get there, I'm going to focus on just perfecting my form on the StrongLifts lifts, increase my speed through the sets/minimize rest time, work on some accessories and start adding in more cardio to try to slim down once I hit those strength goals. Then maybe next year I'll try to push the numbers up a bit more.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:19 am 

My current goals are to deadlift more than the bar. And to have the sexiest lats that ever latted.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:16 pm 

If I break my diet by even so much as 100 calories I completely abandon hope and binge eat for thousands above TDEE.

Just fuel to push-press 210lbs tomorrow I guess.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:48 pm 

Haha yeah. "Oh I already ate some empty calories...better eat all of them!"

Hit my old deadlift PR today. Also I saw a guy using a belt, gloves, and fucking straps, locked tight around the "bar," to do 7kg dumbbell rows. Never change, Korea.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:57 pm 

Fun fact: Bulgarian split squats were not actually invented by bodybuilders or competitive weightlifters, but were actually a form of torture frequently practiced in Eastern European dungeons during medieval times.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:48 pm 

(Can you guys tell that Clam and I did Leg Day today? :P)

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:31 am 

VoidApostle wrote:
If I break my diet by even so much as 100 calories I completely abandon hope and binge eat for thousands above TDEE.

Still struggle with that mental hurdle from time to time. Hurray slippery eating disorders!
The amount of fucks that are lost when going above the caloric goal for the day can be truly staggering.
Recently started an extended fat loss phase and have had a few amazing days to start it off. Always been the kind of guy that as long as I stick to my push day/pull/leg then off day my head is focused and diet stays intact, but we all know that is not when it matters most.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:30 am 

Failure day at the gym. Finally missed my first rep on squats, and missed some bench reps as well. I'm still in solid setting-PR's-all-the-time territory, so I don't mind that much...I just hope I'm able to keep up some vague forward momentum/maintenance for the next two weeks so my inevitable deloads coincide with missing the gym for a week while I travel. After I get back, it's time to crush these plateaus!

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:29 am 

By hitting PRs all the time, you mean getting a new best on your working sets and not getting new 1 rep maxes, right?

I remember you posted your goals a little while ago, and while it's good to be ambitious, it didn't seem very realistic. If there's one thing I've noticed, it's that the stronger you get the slower progress comes. I'm still making reasonable progress in most lifts, but at a much slower rate than my first two years of lifting.

I really wish I could go back a few months and approach the program I'm on differently, because in hindsight I realize exactly why I hit plateaus in the bench and squat (although squat is finally increasing, I guess). In my opinion, the program called for increasing the weight way too fast so I ended up just hitting a wall and getting stuck there. Increasing the weight every workout indefinitely doesn't seem very realistic unless you're still in your first two years or so of lifting or if you start way below what you can reasonably lift and work your way up very gradually.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:53 pm 

Well I only started lifting for real in April last year (I think it was April), missed around a month in the middle of the year, then missed three months from October to January, so really I've only been lifting for like eight months or so. I mean, I did start really light and have worked my way up pretty gradually.

I dunno, I'm still shooting for those goals. I'm talking about new bests on working sets, yeah. Technically I didn't miss a rep on squats, I just did 4 reps on my last set and called it quits rather than try to really grind the last one out, but that was at 125kg and my goal for the year is 150, so I think it's doable. Dunno about hitting 200kg on deadlifts, I'm at 140kg now and haven't missed a rep yet but that's still a ways to go. I'm definitely getting to the point where grip is the real limiting factor, and since I can't use chalk, I dunno, maybe I'll try straps, or a hook grip, though that sounds painful as shit. In any case I'll be happy enough hitting 180kg on deadlifts this year since that's four big boy plates on each side. Bench, I think, will be the hardest - 100kg might not really be possible, I dunno. We'll see I guess.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:14 pm 

The deadlift goal seems a lot more unrealistic than your bench one, to be honest (the bench one is aiming high, but I think it's doable if you put a lot of effort into it). Over 4 plates for reps (think you mentioned that in a previous post) after not much more than a year of lifting seems like wishful thinking to me unless you have freak genetics. I know I'm mostly going off my own experience here (but keep in mind deadlift are my best lift), but getting to three plates was pretty easy for me. Getting from three to four plates for a 1RM took over a year and I was training pretty consistently. It's been over a year since 4 plates, and I haven't tested my max but I doubt I could deadlift 500lbs right now (I'm fairly confident I could hit 475, I'll have to test it soon). Don't mean to be a downer or anything, but don't be too upset if it ends up taking a bit longer.

Not being able to use chalk sucks, by the way. It helps A LOT. Can't say I've ever been able to get the hang of hook grip, but it will definitely help if you can. I guess you could use straps if you want, don't have much experience with that myself. Sucks because chalk is a godsend for grip. There's specific exercises you can do for the grip, of course. Doing farmer's walks will also help with grip and have other carryover benefits for the deadlift.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:05 am 

Yeah, I was doing farmer's walks at my previous gym but it's such a pain in the ass. Almost every time I'd try to do it I'd have someone stare at me then immediately walk over and just stand right in front of me as I'm walking. It's like seeing a white guy doing farmer's walks is like moths seeing a candle flame for Korean people or something. Maybe I'll try again. Still a long way away from the end of the year.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:08 am 

I've had a few jobs that were essentially the equivalent of doing farmer's walks all day and that's probably a big reason why my deadlift is disproportionately high compared to my other lifts. Wouldn't be surprised if I could get 8 reps on deadlift with my 1RM for squats, unfortunately.

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:43 pm 

Spoiler: show

Is it obvious from my lack of traps that I hate deadlifting? I barbell row like a motherfucker to atleast try to make up for it.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:07 pm 

Clam did a new deadlift PR (455lbs):

... and while we had the camera out, I did some heavy lifting, too (385lbs). I feel I could have done more (4 plates or 405lbs), but next time!

It was a good day!

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:43 pm 

My face accurately depicts how much that lift burned.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:17 pm 

Hah, my body was so stiff yesterday evening.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:25 pm 

You look like you needed some Gin after that. :P

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:15 am 

Hahahaha...those pics are amazing. I've never really looked at deadlift photos before, only videos. In videos it's so easy to see the amount of effort it takes to lift weights like that, but in the static medium of the photograph, it looks like you guys are just standing there holding a thing. Like, dystopia is holding a thing and has to poop, and derigin is holding a thing and just saw a guy key his car in the parking lot.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:29 am 

Someone key my car?! Aw, hell nah! *drops the thing*

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:16 am 

I do not go to gyms, and only have some nice dumbbells right now. But I have been attempting to get in far better shape and am considering a weight bench, but one that folds up and can be stored in my apartment. I start my day with some push-ups to wake up and typically try to close it out in the evening doing fairly simple shit in my living room that I can do with the dumbbells.

Mostly, I have been monitoring my eating as much as I can. Too old to eat whatever the fuck I want anymore.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:37 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Someone key my car?! Aw, hell nah! *drops the thing*

did you forget to rerack your weights last week? :P

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:06 pm 

Haha, it's the gym I work at so my boss would be PISSED if that was the case!

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Crystal_Logic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:03 am 

I had set myself goals to get to 100kg deadlift, 60kg squat and 50kg overhead press by the summer but coursework and exams are getting in the way, so I might have to delay them by a month. It had been going well though, my deadlift shot up each time I did it but I have been leaving it and working on back and core exercises as I was unbearably stiff the day after each work out.

Anyone on the gas?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:47 am 

Crystal_Logic wrote:
I had set myself goals to get to 100kg deadlift, 60kg squat and 50kg overhead press by the summer but coursework and exams are getting in the way, so I might have to delay them by a month. It had been going well though, my deadlift shot up each time I did it but I have been leaving it and working on back and core exercises as I was unbearably stiff the day after each work out.

Why is your overhead press goal so high compared to your squat and deadlift (and why no bench goal)? I could do both the squat and deadlift goal when I started barbell training but that overhead press goal is pretty hefty in comparison. How is your deadlift form? This was the big problem for me my first year of lifting. Once I learned to keep my back straight and pull my hips through recovery got a lot easier and I stopped hurting myself. Also make sure you're stretching and foam roll if it really hurts.

Crystal_Logic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:36 pm 

Getting a foam roller was the biggest help, rolling out each leg before and after helped me be able to walk the day after haha.

I started all of the lifts from scratch, and that was the target I set with a PT (who I just went to once to get some direction).

Currently on
30kg overhead
45kg squat
80kg deadlift
37.5kg bench

Forgot to mention my target for bench is 50kg too.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:13 pm 

Man OHP ramps up faaaast. I squat over 120kg now and 50kg OHP is hard as fuck. No way your OHP and bench will be even.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:26 pm 

Nobody here is "on the gas." only a few of us have built enough of a base to realistically even consider it.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:48 pm 

One of my buddies from another board this weekend. he is the first guy to walk out (further to the left initially) and the one that knows how to actually pose. He is over fifty and inspiration for me because he has maintained exceptional shape.

Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Crystal_Logic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:21 am 

Quote:
No way your OHP and bench will be even.

Probably not, a more realistic goal would be 40kg OHP (which I always call 'gorilla press' or 'Ultimate Warrior press' haha).

Someone might be on the gas, you never know.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:42 pm 

Shoulder day...

Last.fm

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:17 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Shoulder day...

you really need to work on those phone gainz

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:58 pm 

Still the same phone. I dropped a 50lb dumbbell on it last month and shattered the screen but it still works.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:41 pm 

Couple "in action" shots. Just trying to get a good pump going... didn't realize there was a smear or sweat or something on the lens until after I downloaded the video, so some of the detail is washed out (as usual).

Last.fm

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:53 pm 

Jesus fuck, Eric Bugenhagen is an absolute beast. Drinks a gallon and a half of raw, non-homogenized whole milk every single day and does 20 rep squats...

And he listens to Dissection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dvLkXkk3Hc

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 58  Next