Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:22 pm 

VoidApostle wrote:
Come on man, that's like asking someone how their human flag is because they can bang out 50 crunches. :ugh:

not really. you have epic pulling power (predominantly rear delt and upper back -- the same as the front lever)

a guy across the pond I know does chin-ups with a woman hanging off him (about the equiv of 110lb chin-ups), and he can do a rope climb in front lever, hence my curiosity.)

human flag requires virtually no core, and only a little oblique strength.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:34 am 

I can do around 20-25 with my body weight, but I haven't tried weighing myself down. I do the neutral grip because it feels better to me.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:12 pm 

Dogsitting for my neighbor. Access to clearer pic quality.

Spoiler: show
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:36 pm 

So anyone that allows you access into their home has to risk you lumbering around topless searching for the best lighting? :lol:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:45 am 

When you find good lighting you must unclothe on the spot. You know this...

Last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:05 pm 

Comparison March 2015 to now. The left pic was after 4 months of dieting, mind. I was MUCH worse when I originally started my transformation. Still, this is to prove that I am the archetypal "skinnyfat" physique if I don't work out, even if I am watching my diet.

Last.fm

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:11 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Dogsitting for my neighbor. Access to clearer pic quality.

your back's already so wide, I'd like to see a pic where you're doing a pull-up or mimicking the top of a pull-up, just to show your back flexed.

Also, better lighting :P you have a better body than your photography skills will convey

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:52 am 

The quality of Diamhea's camera is inversely proportionate to the amount of muscle on his body.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:27 pm 

Side chest...

Last.fm

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:51 pm 

I couldn't help myself

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

FunkyBurlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:22 pm 

^I don't know how long I've been staring at that. I'm surprised I pulled myself away long enough to type this out. It's too good :-D :lol:

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:23 pm 

And so, so perfect. :P

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:38 pm 

Considering investing in a foam roller. I shouldn't be creaking and aching like a geriatric at 23.
On a similar note, can anyone recommend a stretching routine or just where to fucking start with mobility work at all?

A friend taking the piss out of my lighting edited this. Not even mad.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:43 pm 

Beginners yoga dvds dude. Not even joking a little bit. Yoga will not only keep you fit but it's great for keeping limber.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:19 pm 

Made a cool video featuring some lifting footage from 2015 progressing into 2016 with Armoured Angel playing in the background. Definitely will make more of these in the future as I get stronger and get more interesting footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-NVEZVuQbo&t=2s

Edit: inb4 Diamhea says "That taking over shirt tho" :-D :lol:

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:24 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
Beginners yoga dvds dude. Not even joking a little bit. Yoga will not only keep you fit but it's great for keeping limber.

What kind of primitive savagery is ''dvds''? The future is now.

That's such a blatantly obvious answer that I never even considered though.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:25 pm 

You guys are making such great improvement this last year.

Gotta admit I think I've plateaued a bit. :grumble:

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:39 pm 

Speaking of stretching and Yoga, 2 things a lot of us probably don't do enough. My wife has become a Yoga pro, meanwhile I can barely touch my toes. I never foam roll either, I feel like I already spend way too much time at the gym, I do go in the hot tub and use the strong jets sort of like a foam roller, just as good? IDK.

On Wednesday I decided to take a recovery week, I've been lifting 5-7 days a week for about 8 months now with a good amount of HIIT as well, although the way I lift is basically HIIT anyway. Been spending like 15 hours a week in the gym and my muscles and joints could probably use a full 7 days to relax. This is day 3 off and I don't know if I can make it, I want to go workout so bad :cry:

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:26 pm 

I did yoga a lot as a kid, went about 15 years without doing it, and was still considerably more flexible than my friends who never did any yoga.

Back to not doing it now, but I got this Fitbit Charge 2 and I've been trying to at least take 2 walks per day + at least 30 minutes of other exercise + lifting weights. Trying to drink tea and coffee more, also. (Even with a spoonful of sugar, it's fewer calories than drinking soda. If I limit myself to water, I'll probably end up just drinking Pepsi again.)
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 pm 

Well honestly it depends, if you're creaking and aching at 23 I'd say you've not used proper form or over trained (this is very common among young people wanting to make quick gains and a cut body) and possibly but not likely done irreparable damage, the whole yoga and stretching gives temporary relief but in the long run letting your muscles heal and warming them up with light weights is leagues better than any stretch. Lay off the problem areas or incorporate secondary muscles to compensate.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:36 pm 

VoidApostle wrote:
Erosion of Humanity wrote:

What kind of primitive savagery is ''dvds''? The future is now.

That's such a blatantly obvious answer that I never even considered though.

Well however you choose go do it. It's helped me a lot. Greatly improves flexibility, muscle relaxation and soreness, and overall stability. Yoga ist krieg. Plus it's a fucking workout in and of itself.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:30 am 

I finally get my first paycheck tomorrow, so I went gym shopping today. Fucking hell this area sucks bad for gyms. The two top options are the government-run gym that's kind of a hike from my house. It's about $40/month and the equipment is packed all close together, is old as fuck and all mismatched and cobbled together and the power rack doesn't even have safety pins. The cheapest/best private gym in my area is fortunately also pretty close to my house. Best deal there is $540 for a year. Brand new equipment and nice facilities, but ugh, that price. That's a cheap one, too - the average price seems to be right around $90/month.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Thumbman
The Shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:00 pm 

VoidApostle, definitely get a foam roller. It helps a lot.

My progress in the gym lately has been a bit of a mixed bag. Deadlift progress going well and I think I have a decent chance of getting a 500lbs max in the next six months. Shoulders going well. My bench has plateaued a little bit, but that makes sense since I've lost a little bit of weight and didn't go to the gym enough in December. My squat progress is abysmal, though. I'm not that much stronger there than I was a year ago. I just don't fucking get it. We've started doing front squats regularly so I'm hoping that helps. I know my quads really aren't up to par, because I still have the good mornings squat problem sometimes. Hoping to get this up, if it keeps going this way I'll be out benching my squat.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:45 pm 

VoidApostle wrote:
Considering investing in a foam roller.

they're like $5 at the nearest big chain store. do it! they're awesome. I just made mine with some excess pipe and foam that was on hand, no need to get anything fancy/expensive from boutique 'fitness' retailers.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:57 am 

Was back at the gym today for the first time in about three months, took big deloads of course, but holy hell haha. Legs feel like jello and I'm sure my pecs and arms are gonna hate me tomorrow (yeah you don't need it blah blah blah but I like adding arm accessories to StrongLifts so did curls today). Felt great though. Though I will have no problem continuing to work past this point, I'm hoping to hit a 400lb deadlift, 300lb squat and 250lb bench without plateauing too much on the way. I'm shooting for maybe hitting those goals in May or so? That'd make me super happy so we'll see.

FunkyBurlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:10 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
My squat progress is abysmal, though. I'm not that much stronger there than I was a year ago. I just don't fucking get it. We've started doing front squats regularly so I'm hoping that helps. I know my quads really aren't up to par, because I still have the good mornings squat problem sometimes. Hoping to get this up, if it keeps going this way I'll be out benching my squat.

Squats are my best lift. I was doing 340lb 5x5 a month ago before de-loading. My form was suffering at that quantity. But it's been good because I've been feeling better about my form as I've been reaching back up.

My bench is pretty weak. I would love to reach 225lbs with in the next few months. I've never done above 180, when at the time it was my 1 rep. Now I'm in the 170s so looking up for sure. Though I still feel like I'll be plateauing before too long. Deadlifts are okay, I'm not back at my best yet. I did an unconvincing 340 on Friday, but I barely slept at all the night before so.

Does anyone else jump rope? I just started it up and it's been kicking my ass. I can't say I've done enough for any real results yet but I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with doing them over a long period of time.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:29 pm 

I never really try to find my 1RM anymore, and lately I only do bench with dumbbells. I can do 100 lbs dumbbells easily for reps and I do 200+ for close grip barbell and incline when I'm not using DBs, so I'm kinda curious how much I can actually flat bench with a bar these days. I'm squatting around 250 and deadlifting 3-350 but those are both lifts I don't want to push to hard. I'm only 180 lbs and I see a lot of guys who are taller "bigger" who can't move the kind of weight I am.

I failed to take a full recovery week, I made it to day 3 and ended up working out 3 days in a row. I went a little lighter than usual, but I think I have a problem. My recovery days are usually cardio days and I can't decide if I want to try taking more full days off, doing more cardio days or just taking a couple light and easy weeks. Problem is whenever I try to do a "light" day I end up going pretty heavy and hard anyway.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:30 pm 

FunkyBurlin wrote:

Squats are my best lift. I was doing 340lb 5x5 a month ago before de-loading.

My bench is pretty weak. I would love to reach 225lbs with in the next few months. I've never done above 180..

How does everyone on the internet have such a god damn good squat accompanied by such a shitty bench??? I'm growing skeptical of the depth some of these people squat to... :grumble:

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

FunkyBurlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:45 pm 

Hahaha I hit depth I swear! I barely ever did upper body work for long periods of time. I play soccer and placed my focus on squats and deadlifts in school. And I used to due a lot of kettle bell swings all the time that got my elastic movement through my hips really powerful. 70lb Kettlebells will do that.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:15 am 

If you ever want some laughs look up "스쾃" (Korean spelling of squat) on Instagram. I swear most of those guys just break at the knees then lock back out and call it a rep, and they usually have spotters for it.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:54 pm 

FunkyBurlin wrote:
Hahaha I hit depth I swear! I barely ever did upper body work for long periods of time. I play soccer and placed my focus on squats and deadlifts in school. And I used to due a lot of kettle bell swings all the time that got my elastic movement through my hips really powerful. 70lb Kettlebells will do that.

That's totally understandable! Most serious athletes focus on lower body power, strength, development, and athleticism over upper body anyways as athletics require you to, well, be on your feet! I actually spent an entire two years barely training upper body due to some serious shoulder pain and discomfort. :ugh: I ran 5/3/1 More Squatting template without the pressing and was squatting and pulling 5 days a week for a couple of months in 2015!

iamntbatman wrote:
If you ever want some laughs look up "스쾃" (Korean spelling of squat) on Instagram. I swear most of those guys just break at the knees then lock back out and call it a rep, and they usually have spotters for it.

Hahahaha I've seen those before. Dudes who put on massive amounts of weight and squat higher than the peak of Mount fucking Everest. Grr...what a sad, sad joke.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:15 am 

Today I was doing overhead press and the trainer lady at the gym came over and told me I should be using a super wide grip. Every form guide I've ever read/seen says otherwise (usually a grip just slightly wider than shoulder-width is recommended). Is there any reason to go wide, or is this some completely different exercise? I kind of doubt all of the people I've heard from are wrong about this, but maybe she thought I was trying to do something else entirely.

awheio
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:31 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Today I was doing overhead press and the trainer lady at the gym came over and told me I should be using a super wide grip. Every form guide I've ever read/seen says otherwise (usually a grip just slightly wider than shoulder-width is recommended). Is there any reason to go wide, or is this some completely different exercise? I kind of doubt all of the people I've heard from are wrong about this, but maybe she thought I was trying to do something else entirely.

Well, I think "slightly wider" is an understatement, and misleading. In a posture that feels comfortable, each wrist is ~4 inches from the shoulder (although I didn't get out a ruler). You could look up pictures too to see other examples. "Super wide" is not something I would personally do either though. But my overhead press grip is slightly wider than my grip for bench press, and I think that's pretty appropriate.

FunkyBurlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:45 am 

awheio wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

Well, I think "slightly wider" is an understatement, and misleading. In a posture that feels comfortable, each wrist is ~4 inches from the shoulder (although I didn't get out a ruler). You could look up pictures too to see other examples. "Super wide" is not something I would personally do either though. But my overhead press grip is slightly wider than my grip for bench press, and I think that's pretty appropriate.

Comfortable isn't always right. I moved my hand placement in and have been experiencing better results. I did so after doing some research on this. Forearms should be perpendicular to the bar and hands close in distance to the shoulder. It's a leverage and power thing. Don't listen to that trainer.

[Edit] - The detailed and specific research that I mentioned for reference. If anyone was wondering. https://stronglifts.com/overhead-press/

Iron Wizard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:37 am 

I've been lifting weights for almost a year now. I started with 3 pound therapeutic dumbbells, now I have an adjustable set. I'm currently curling 30 pounds, which isn't bad for 5'3 and 105 lbs. Unfortunately, I broke my right arm so I can only do front raises by hooking weights to my arm with a belt, for now.

My current lifting stats:

Dumbbell curls-30lbs
Deadlift-130lbs
Bench press-100lbs
Front raises-20lbs
Military press-10lbs
Squats-60lbs (I just started doing them with a dumbbell in one hand in response to my broken arm; 60 pounds is the most that will fit on one dumbbell)

I wonder what Glen Danzig's stats are-he's my height and he possesses a fucking huge build.

-Ronnie James Dio, Black Sabbath- Heaven and Hell

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:50 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Is there any reason to go wide

I looked it up, and it looks like the world record for the clean and jerk is notably higher than for the snatch, and it's the snatch that utilizes the wide grip. seems to suggest it's harder(?)

FunkyBurlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:50 am 

Erotetic wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

I looked it up, and it looks like the world record for the clean and jerk is notably higher than for the snatch, and it's the snatch that utilizes the wide grip. seems to suggest it's harder(?)

It's harder to have a wider grip for OHP because it is wrong. I never understand the do what's comfortable thought. There is a right and wrong way to execute lifts. If doing it the correct way is uncomfortable, then you're not as strong as you thought and you need to deload and work back up correctly.

As far as snatching and clean and jerks go, the differences in what you can lift between the two is relevant more towards the posterior and anterior chain strengths and not the grip width between the two.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:30 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Every form guide I've ever read/seen says otherwise (usually a grip just slightly wider than shoulder-width is recommended).
There's a reason why these guides exist and they're well established by people with ample amount of education. There's a reason you don't hear about injuries when performing the exercise as stated in the form guide.

Last edited by volutetheswarth on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
awheio
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:55 pm 

FunkyBurlin wrote:
awheio wrote:

Comfortable isn't always right. I moved my hand placement in and have been experiencing better results. I did so after doing some research on this. Forearms should be perpendicular to the bar and hands close in distance to the shoulder. It's a leverage and power thing. Don't listen to that trainer.

[Edit] - The detailed and specific research that I mentioned for reference. If anyone was wondering. https://stronglifts.com/overhead-press/

Well, when I adopt the posture I tried to describe, my forearms are perpendicular to the bar. If I bring them closer to my shoulders, they stay parallel, but I have to tuck my elbows in in a pretty unnatural way. I dunno, it seems that just with muscular arms, back, etc., it will always be awkward to get your hands very close to your shoulders in that position. The perpendicular idea is good, but I would not personally rely on trying to get my palms within inches of my shoulders.

Iron Wizard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:36 pm 

Erotetic wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

The wider the grip, the more stable the bar is, but also, it makes the force less direct, so it does require more exertion.

-Ronnie James Dio, Black Sabbath- Heaven and Hell

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 56  Next