Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:08 am 

It seems like Incantation gets more "acclaim" because they're easier to ape. Play reverb-soaked death metal with lots of chromatic riffs and low vocals and all the blogs will write about how it "really sounds like Onward to Golgotha, moreso than the recent trend of reverbcore" or whatever right above the download link.

For the record, Incantation>Immolation is where I firmly (and I mean firmly) stand.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:11 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I would agree with that sentiment as well, but I wouldn't say anything Dismember has ever done is that much better than Left Hand Path. They merely stayed good through the years, while Entombed didn't. :-P

Agree 100% on that one.

I'm still not sure about Incantation and Immolation, though; I far prefer that doomier style of death metal to the mid-paced sound.
When it comes to acclaim, my impression was that Immolation were better known, while Incantation are more respected. Though I must admit that this view is influenced by the reactions that I get when talking about either - my Immolation shirt gets nods of recognition even from the, well, teenagers in Metallica shirts; mentions of Incantation appear to impress more, but fewer people indicate that they've actually listened to the band.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:12 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I would agree with that sentiment as well, but I wouldn't say anything Dismember has ever done is that much better than Left Hand Path.

It doesn't matter because Clandestine is far superior to Left Hand Path.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:33 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fdYJ3ldJvI

Rob Flynn in Dread's performing his best Korn/Soulfly impersonations

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:43 am 

It's really, really weird to think Machine Head have been around for as long as they are.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:56 am 

lol@ Machine Head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJzeJiHHQOY
This is the most nu metal video of all time.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:59 am 

A lot of you guys might not like the song because he "sold out" or it's Nu Metal, but I love it because Machine Head was one of the best Nu Metal band at the time, they rocked Nu Metal better than most bands did
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:08 am 

Subrick wrote:
It's really, really weird to think Machine Head have been around for as long as they are.

Yes, yes it is. From scene veterans to teens, many metalheads I know had a MH phase (I'll admit right now that, as a lass of 14, Through the Ashes of Empire rocked my world for about a month; when very, very drunk, I will still belt out 'Descend the Shades of Night'.) These days I'd rather sandpaper my ears. Or, actually, the ears of that certain kind of fan they generally attract.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:09 am 

I love their first album, never listened to The More Things Change through Supercharger beyond a couple songs each, love everything from Through the Ashes of Empires onward, especially the one they put out in 2011.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:02 am 

Immolation used to be a lot more respected back in the early 00s, at least on the internet. It was a rare person who actually cared for Incantation. Their recent output at the time had been mediocre in comparison to their early material while Immolation were going strong with their most popular album (then and now) Close to a World Below and the strong follow-up, Unholy Cult. But after that Immolation have been concentrating more on touring than bringing out strong albums while Incantation... Well, they got lucky with the huge amount of revivalist bands bringing them out of the woodwork again.

Regarding Dismember and Entombed, I suppose Dismember stuck more to their guns, but aside from Dark Recollections, the band did nothing that could even begin to rival Left Hand Path.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:07 am 

But...but...but... 'Like an Ever Flowing Stream'.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:16 am 

Never got Left Hand Path its a boring album with literally the same flaccid Swedish guitar tone that saps any power out of the riffs, at least Ever flowing stream had some variation apart from just being boring from start to finish. I haven't heard Clandestine but I doubt its any better than LHP, gotta give props to Dismember for at least having one good album in their discography as opposed to Entombed.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:16 am 

4 AM and I just can't help myself, I have to pimp this Gargoyle song again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYpNK_J75HU
Hehe, foreskins.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:17 am 

I prefer Like an Ever Flowing Stream and in fact don't think a whole lot of Entombed in general.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:20 am 

I decided to give Machine Head's "The Blackening" another listen, I thought it was bad enough five years ago that I skipped multiple opportunities to see one of my favorite bands because MH were headlining. Why the fuck do I hear so much about this album, it's half nu-metal with the rest filled by aping Pantera and Trivium, with four songs that are around ten minutes long. Ten minute nu-metal songs, what the fuck?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:36 am 

Like An Ever Flowing Stream seems to be the Swedeath album that appeals to people who don't like Swedeath, all that much. It's a great album, sure, but I prefer Left Hand Path (which, tellingly, was my first death metal album). I actually played it last night and still enjoy it just as much.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:12 am 

Like an Ever Flowing Stream is one of my favorite DM albums ever. And Clandestine is too. It's the combination of filthy, buzzsaw-riffing death metal with excellent catchy melodies that does it.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:51 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Like an Ever Flowing Stream is one of my favorite DM albums ever. And Clandestine is too. It's the combination of filthy, buzzsaw-riffing death metal with excellent catchy melodies that does it.

Basically this. Those are the two best DM albums I have heard at least. Never saw the big deal about Left Hand Path though, after the first song it all starts to sound the same to me. Clandestine is a beast of an album though, always hear something new on it. How they went from that to Wolverine Blues is beyond me.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:08 am 

Yeah, Left Hand Path is good, but nowhere near as original as Clandestine (well, in retrospect; back in the day it was one of the pioneers of the style...but Clandestine just has more interesting songwriting :P), and not as memorable either. I have to say my favorite overall DM record might be The Spell of Retribution by The Chasm, but it's a close call between that and Like an Ever Flowing Stream and possibly Altars of Madness.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:27 am 

I prefer Indecent and Obscene if only for Dreaming in Red.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:39 am 

I used to be very excited by Left Hand Path when I first got into it, but it has lost some of its appeal with time. I still like it quite a bit, but I'd rather listen to Clandestine, or hell, many of the other classic Swedeath releases, such as Dark Recollections. Now, if we're gonna talk about favorite death metal releases overall, then for me it's a triple tie between Pierced from Within, None So Vile, and Gateways to Annihilation.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:06 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Now, if we're gonna talk about favorite death metal releases overall, then for me it's a triple tie between Pierced from Within, None So Vile, and Gateways to Annihilation.

Never cared much for Swedeath but if we're talking fav dm releases now it's a triple tie for me between Altars of Madness, Altars of Madness, and Altars of Madness.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:11 pm 

Well, call me a heathen, but out of Morbid Angel's discography, my favorite is Gateways to Annihilation. It's not like it doesn't have a ton of competition, and you are right on the accounts that Altars is insane, but Gateways simply has this sort of intangible quality that makes it stand out and speak to me in a way that no other MA album can.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:18 pm 

Domination is my favorite MA album.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:05 pm 

Domination is sooooooooooo boring. Covenant and Altars for me.

In other news I am now enjoying Obscura by Gorguts. That album is too long imo but still really good. Technical and dissonant but I am still able to follow it unlike a lot of technical dm bands nowadays. Earthly Love is probably my favorite song. From Wisdom to Hate is my least fav Gorguts album still. Cannot get behind it still.

Last edited by xThe__Wizard on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:08 pm 

Domination is a catchy, fun album. It doesn't have much more than that going for it though. I like it, but wouldn't put it alongside Morbid Angel's best stuff.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:09 pm 

I think, in terms of favorites, it's Altars first, then a tie between Blessed and Covenant, then Gateways, then Domination, Formulas, and Heretic.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:16 pm 

Calusari wrote:
But...but...but... 'Like an Ever Flowing Stream'.

I like that album well enough, though not exactly my thing. I'm not particularly swayed by genre nostalgia nearly as much as personal nostalgia, and the classic status of the album definitely fattens the score somewhat, but not so much that it makes me like it that much more than I would if I didn't know it was classic. It's weird how really important albums can be lackluster (like the Beatles .. yawn) -- but .. ok, you convinced me. I'll listen to it over breakfast. ;)

Incantation: talk about classic status. Holy fuck. Their first two albums are .. like .. quintessential. bad ass. And in this regard, I feel like my praise is redundant. I wish I knew enough about Incantation worship to draw a decent comparison, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's likely the reviewers who say something "sounds just like ... Golgotha" mean "attempts to hold a candle, and manages a half-way decent job at it."

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:49 pm 

though written in german this entry on my blog may be some fun to you due to the pics itself.
Basically it's an entry about the hillarious weapons shown on 80s VHS covers.
Guns that based on mechanics/physics just won't work (ok, the slingshot-knife-knucklering-weapon of
"Striker" could work, haha).

Enjoy: http://wunderbare80er.blogspot.de/2012/ ... -80er.html
(the title is translated to "ballistic wonders of the 80s")

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:56 pm 

Domination sucks. A few good tunes, sure, but also a few crappy ones, and nothing as good as the ABC trilogy at all. Gateways I only listened to once, but I remember it sounding pretty safe and unambitious compared to the original ABC trilogy...

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:01 pm 

Gateways is not something that I find to be remarkable thanks to its innovation or fresh songwriting, but because of its density and planetary scope. It's an album that feels and sounds HUGE, and as far as I'm concerned, it's the only record to truly capture that eldritch atmosphere the band always struggled to convey in one way or another.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:02 pm 

Immolation > Incantation

Dismember > Entombed

Altars, Blessed, Covenant > Everything else MA did

As for my favorite death metal album, I'd think I'd have to pick either De Profundis or Litany since those two Vader albums were really what got me into the style in the first place. If not those then Effigy of the Forgotten. I'm sure there's a really obvious one I'm forgetting as well.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:05 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Gateways is not something that I find to be remarkable thanks to its innovation or fresh songwriting, but because of its density and planetary scope. It's an album that feels and sounds HUGE, and as far as I'm concerned, it's the only record to truly capture that eldritch atmosphere the band always struggled to convey in one way or another.

Yeah, eh, I always liked MA for how original their first three albums sounded and how much they pushed the boundaries. Nothing else they did after really came close for me.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:09 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

Yeah, eh, I always liked MA for how original their first three albums sounded and how much they pushed the boundaries. Nothing else they did after really came close for me.

Yeah, that's where many people seem to stand regarding MA, and rightfully so, as those first three albums are classics for a reason. I don't think I'll change my mind about Gateways anytime soon though.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:11 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:

I really agree with this. The album covers an image of something massive and destructive. It's not as catchy as AoM but nowadays prefer it over that one. It's also one of my favourite death metal albums. Weird how their follow up would suck hard though - I find Morbid Angel to be really inconsistent. I quite liked all of their works back when I got into them quite a bit but nowadays it's just GoA and AoM that I listen to and actually enjoy.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:17 pm 

You are a cool person, Colin :-D

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:26 pm 

Formulas Fatal to the Flesh is the BEST Morbid Angel album. Steve Tucker-era!!!!!!!
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:34 pm 

Well this past Christmas was a complete success! Had the family over, everyone got at least one really great/useful gift and saw some relatives who I haven't seen in a few years and among those was my cousin John. I haven't seen or talked to him in at least two years but he somehow knew I liked metal despite us almost never having a conversation about music. Anyway, John said he had a buddy who was also a metal head and asked him what to get me for a gift and recommended Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory by Dream Theater. Needless to say, I LOVED it and oddly enough, all the music sounded familiar to me at the time but I couldn't place where I had heard it before until my younger brother mentioned it was from a DragonBall Z Movie (If you were born in the 90's, you HAD to watch DBZ if you wanted to be cool during grade school :lol: otherwise you were shunned :ugh: ).

How are the holidays going for the rest of you?

Well, that's not uncommon at all. Many people go on 4chan in order to get off.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:47 pm 

Where's your Morbid Angel reference, son?
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:52 pm 

Hmm, well I'm playing Domination again in light of this conversation and I guess it ain't bad. But it just feels like Covenant without any of the atmosphere and with less good riffing. Kinda an average work.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 734, 735, 736, 737, 738, 739, 740 ... 827  Next