Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:09 am 

Well, every coin has two sides, doesn't it?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:10 am 

bassistneededlolnot wrote:
I just wish people could understand that tragic things can sometimes in a way be funny.

You wish this girl would laugh at the death of her grandmother so then you'd've "gotten with" her? Because that's totally what you implied with that sentence.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:11 am 

I don't really think he meant that, Bastard..... It sounded more like a general statement to me.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:15 am 

That last post of his definitely reads like he's frustrated that the timing was bad, which is fair enough I guess in a selfish way that's human and relatable, but tact certainly isn't his strong point is what I'm saying.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:17 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I just wish people could understand that tragic things can sometimes in a way be funny.

You wish this girl would laugh at the death of her grandmother so then you'd've "gotten with" her? Because that's totally what you implied with that sentence.

That's totally not what that sentence stated. Calm your tits. I just meant that hopefully people can understand how laughing at the irony of a bad situation is entirely different than laughing at someone's misfortune.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:19 am 

BastardHead wrote:
That last post of his definitely reads like he's frustrated that the timing was bad, which is fair enough I guess in a selfish way that's human and relatable, but tact certainly isn't his strong point is what I'm saying.

Basically. Comes off as quite immature really.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:24 am 

Subrosa. So fucking good--have not had such an affinity for a recently released metal album in quite some time.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:27 am 

Yeah that last album was so good. I like how they took a big risk with "House Carpenter". Have you heard their earlier stuff, and if so is it worth checking out?

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:32 am 

There's nothing immature about how I handled the situation, or even selfish as Bastardhead suggested. I patiently waited for her to come back outside, she told me she wasn't capable of doing much for the rest of the day, and I respected her decision without bitching about it or even showing a hint of frustration. Feel free to explain the selfishness in that. Am I really expected to grieve over the death of someone I know literally nothing about? Yeah, I was frustrated, but I put effort into understanding her situation and empathized. Fuuuuuuuck off.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:40 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Subrick wrote:
http://lagometal.bigcartel.com/

Here they sell their EP, along with shirts and a coffee mug. There's also Bandcamp for the demo they just put out.

http://lagometal.bandcamp.com/

Good shit here, guess it's worth reading your ten zillion posts a day on the chance you'll namedrop something awesome :p

I'm very big on dropping the names of bands I feel need more exposure.

Also, you finding anything of value in those Sorrowseed links I sent you?

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:52 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
Yeah that last album was so good. I like how they took a big risk with "House Carpenter". Have you heard their earlier stuff, and if so is it worth checking out?

Aw yea. That one just came on. Fucking love it! Kind of reminds of this song, both being rooted in traditional folk and contrasting with the rest of the album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfZEeXGkyHM

I haven't checked out any of their earlier work.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:55 am 

There's nothing immature about how I handled the situation, or even selfish as Bastardhead suggested. I patiently waited for her to come back outside, she told me she wasn't capable of doing much for the rest of the day, and I respected her decision without bitching about it or even showing a hint of frustration. Feel free to explain the selfishness in that. Am I really expected to grieve over the death of someone I know literally nothing about? Yeah, I was frustrated, but I put effort into understanding her situation and empathized. Fuuuuuuuck off.

You handled yourself just fine based on what you said, but the shpiel we here at MA got afterwards was pretty shitty. And selfishness isn't something to be proud of, obviously, but simply pointing out that wishing certain things went differently so you would have potentially gained something is the very definition of selfish is not me condemning you. I'm selfish all the time, that's why I said it's human. That's not the part I'm calling out as dickish, it's the line about wishing she could see the humor in a family member's death so that way she wouldn't have been sad and your streak of bad luck and poor timing wouldn't have continued.

Yeah yeah it was a general statement, sure, whatever, but you said it in response to this situation and you can't deny that where I'm coming from, this makes you look like kind of a douche.

Re: Subrick: I uhh... haven't gotten to it yet :(. I was busy with Warhawk (who sent me their demo the same day as you), and now I've been doing the year-end stuff for my blog. It's a busy time of year for me when it comes to non-internetical stuff anyway (plus I'm working six days a week now), so I'll get to it soon, and I'll let you know what I think.

sabbathfan4993
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:03 am 

The new Ignivomous was way better than the Horrendous album which admittedly is still very good. I think it's a bit unwarranted to say these throwback death metal bands are just ripping off the classics. The newer bands have a recognizable kind of murky sound that wasn't as pronounced in the death metal of 20 years ago. They aren't reinventing the wheel but it's not right to immediately dismiss all of it like I've seen some people do.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:13 am 

FOZZY MADE A GOOD ALBUM?!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:15 am 

Yeah, that album is actually pretty good. Their newest one is good too, but it does fall a bit victim to some dumbing down (see that song with the A7X singer with the really shitty music video). Aside from that song though, it's a good album that's a good mix of Ozzy-style metal and radio rock.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:03 am 

Figures, I decide to stay offline for a day and there's a death metal discussion. :( Anyway, sorry if the conversation's starting to move on - I have to throw in my two cents, otherwise I'll explode.
CrushedRevelation wrote:
Binah

:beer: Yes! Thank you! Someone else has heard of this band.
I couldn't possibly decide on a favourite death metal album, but some top candidates for me would include Disincarnate's "Dreams of the Carrion Kind", Gorguts' "Considered Dead" (just has the edge (hahaha... come on... no?) over "Edge of Insanity", Moondark's "The Shadowpath", Nerlich's "Defabricated Process", Obituary's "World Demise", Rottrevore's "Iniquitous" and Undergang's two albums. I'd have thrown in Demilich, but I haven't listened to that one in a while. Egads... the more I think about this, the longer this is getting. This was meant to be a quick mention of one or two albums.

Now, to listen to MA's discography again - I recall preferring Altars, but it's been years, frankly, since I've really listened to any of them.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:48 am 

Binah does look like a good find. Will have to sample more. Really nice logo they've got.

Also, just discovered Ataraxy and Venenum. Thanks YouTube.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:03 am 

Just got into Ataraxy today, thanks to that 'Best Albums of 2012' thread. Can't believe I missed that release.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:07 am 

Revelations of the Ethereal does sound very promising. Venenum also has a really nicely developed sound for only having one EP under their belt (wormeaten robe?...). Definitely will be looking forward to their full-length, if one ever emerges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8hanqiD3w8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zWdDuz ... =endscreen

Man, this is incredible stuff. Love the tape degradation on these rips, too, it adds that much more to the sound. All their artwork seems to be absolutely top-notch as well. An impressive project!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:57 am 

Damn, I'm late to an Immolation discussion.

Shadows in the Light is mediocre? Listen to that riff in Lying With Demons and die. It's not one of their strongest, but I've come to like it more than Harnessing Ruin and Majesty And Decay. Being perhaps the third weakest album, it's "only" a pretty damn excellent album.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:03 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Shadows in the Light is mediocre? Listen to that riff in Lying With Demons and die. It's not one of their strongest, but I've come to like it more than Harnessing Ruin and Majesty And Decay. Being perhaps the third weakest album, it's "only" a pretty damn excellent album.

Ilwhyan speaks the truth, and Necro is weak :-P

But yeah, Shadows in the Light is as solid as a diamond. Maybe it's not as insanely great as Unholy Cult or Close to a World Below, but it's still is a very catchy and brutal piece of death metal with all of the signature Immolation quirks. I just wish the drums (and especially the bass drums) had a more organic sound in SITL.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:09 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I just wish the drums (and especially the bass drums) had a more organic sound in SITL.

Quite true. It's fairly sterile as far as Immolation productions go. The band has unfortunately favoured this approach on the last couple of releases. One reason is apparently that Vigna considers Harnessing Ruin to be a far better piece than it's recognised as by fans, and seems to think the fault is in the album's production.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:13 pm 

Prepare yourselves for 90's sxe Jewish metalcore with lyrics about the Holocaust.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjQVBptt5Eg

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:26 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
I just wish the drums (and especially the bass drums) had a more organic sound in SITL.

Quite true. It's fairly sterile as far as Immolation productions go. The band has unfortunately favoured this approach on the last couple of releases. One reason is apparently that Vigna considers Harnessing Ruin to be a far better piece than it's recognised as by fans, and seems to think the fault is in the album's production.

I do think that Harnessing Ruin would be significantly improved by a superior production job, though it's still a fairly weak album as far as Immolation's standards go. It's a shame that Vigna thinks that way, though the rather lifeless drum production never detracts massively from the newest records. I still wish they got rid of it, though.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:55 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation ... VR4HJ3OAhs

Another awesome old school death metal act. Funeral Age from America.

sabbathfan4993
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:10 pm 

I actually consider Shadows in the Light to be just about up there with Close to a World Below and Here in After. It may be a bit more accessible but some of my favorite guitar work from Vigna is on there plus Dolan sounds like an absolute beast. I definitely think Majesty and Decay has been their worst so far but even that would still get an 80/100 or so from me. Also, thanks to whoever it was who mentioned Venenum. This is some top-notch stuff.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:16 pm 

Harnessing Ruin and Shadows in the Light are the only two Immolation albums I haven't heard, and they're the two getting namedropped the most over these last few pages. I know it's the cliche answer but Close to a World Below is currently my favorite, with Unholy Cult right behind. There's something about the sloppy cacophony that I just adore about those, it sounds like Alex Hernandez is trying to hit every single drum head at the same time during each blast beat, it's great.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:21 pm 

I wish Alex Hernandez would've stuck with them, as he's a fantastic drummer. Very flashy and technical, but in a cool, "wank free" way.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:27 pm 

The 2012 Beherit EP is great. The moron who said it's monotonous and gave it 40% obviously doesn't get it Beherit. Definitely on my year's best of list.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:31 pm 

Listened to Subrosa's 2006 album "The Worm has Turned" (demo, some tracks rerecorded for Strega). Now I'm on 2008's Strega, and you can see how the band has gradually refined their art to the point of "No Help For the Mighty Ones." If you like that you might as well as least give the other stuff a cursory glance--I think you'll be able to tell whether it's for you before the first song on either album ends.

edit: the demo is a demo, a historical curiosity. But Strega is fucking awesome, at least on a stoned first listen. These tracks stood out:

Sugar Creek, Self-Rule (Bandcamp, 'cause this song's apparently not on Youtube) and Cradles.

Last edited by sortalikeadream on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:40 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
The 2012 Beherit EP is great. The moron who said it's monotonous and gave it 40% obviously doesn't get it Beherit. Definitely on my year's best of list.

You know, I was wondering about that. I just noticed they released something this year a few days ago and was undecided on wether I should listen to it.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:46 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

Yeah. Celebrate the Dead is a great track. Best of 2012 for me too.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:49 pm 

Fucking hell, filesharing websites. You dont have to pull uploads of bedroom black metal releases limited to 15 fucking copies. I cant find this shit anywhere now.
Hehe, foreskins.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:53 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:

Was that song supposed to be evidence that the album is good? It wasn't awful, but it was pretty dull.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:08 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

Was that song supposed to be evidence that the album is good? It wasn't awful, but it was pretty dull.

Well, I understand it if you don't like it, Mr. USPM*-is-the-only-good-kind-of-heavy-metal :-P

I do find Chasing the Grail to be significantly superior in comparison to what I heard from this band in the past (who I dismissed mostly as a gimmick). Maybe the vocals are slightly processed and the riffing could be a bit meatier, but it's a cool listen, nonetheless.

*You know I also love USPM, so please don't smite me for this :-P

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:12 pm 

Eh, I thought that was rather painful. Prior to listening to that I hadn't once heard anything by Fozzy, but if that's their best material, they're pretty shite.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:17 pm 

Says the guy who once stated that my taste "isn't entirely horrible" :lol:

Nah, we're cool Ilwhyan, though I sometimes don't get you :scratch:

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:22 pm 

The only cool part of that was the solo section and the bit immediately following it.
Hehe, foreskins.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:47 pm 

Weirdly enough I seem to study best while listening to grindcore, even a bit better than with ambient music. No idea why, it just works. Managed to write over a thousand words and finish my last essay in just a few hours, with all my grindcore set to shuffle.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:30 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Binah does look like a good find. Will have to sample more. Really nice logo they've got.

Also, just discovered Ataraxy and Venenum. Thanks YouTube.

You should definitely check out more Binah, the whole album (for a debut) is a gargantuan, atmospheric, oppressive beast. Bloody excellent. Venenum is a band I though (too late now) of reccing to you, but hey, you've found them now. Another quality release, had the EP for some time, and rate it very highly.

My collection

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 736, 737, 738, 739, 740, 741, 742 ... 827  Next