Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:29 am 

I almost never check Facebook when I'm out somewhere. Hell, I don't even use my phone often, especially compared to the texting machines that other people my age are. Earlier today when I was in Manhattan I used Facebook twice in the span of about 9 hours. Once to say how amazing it was walking through Times Square, and another to post the below photo of me at a haunted house/goth horror bar there called Times Scare.

Spoiler: show

Wonderfully enough the combination of my wearing all black, my pentagram, and my big ass longcoat made me look the most gothic person there tonight aside from maybe the bartender chick, and I don't even call myself goth.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:39 am 

To be fair, for a lot of those people, the time they're spending checking Facebook on their phone would've been time spent awkwardly sitting there doing/saying nothing if they didn't have their phone.

All my friends have smartphones but at gatherings we only bring it up to respond to texts or to look something up if we're discussing something.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:47 am 

Well if they came with other people, they could just...talk to each other, ya know.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:53 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Smartphones... mine is about seven years old (give or take) and is hideously out of date, and fashion. Oh well.

What I find HILARIOUS about the smartphones/fuckbook relationship is when I and my beautiful significant other are out at the pub, all the younguns' that frequent our favourite watering hole will arrive in pairs or what have you, select a table to sit at, and then proceed to simultaneously whip out there smartphones and check facebook - immediately. Occasionally, uncomfortably, some conversation may break out, maybe, then it's back to facebook again. Good to be out with friends huh?

EDIT: PLEASE tell me that facebook has not yet infiltrated to the Deep Ones yet fish man?

Ugh. A few of my friends are text addicts and it's so frustrating. I actually got rid of my cell phone altogether at the beginning of the year because I refuse to text and it seems like the only way people are interested in communicating these days. I really should get a phone again though, since I've happened upon some really frustrating situations which could have been prevented by having a phone. Still, it's as if people of my generation (and it's even worse for the younger generation) are forgetting how to socialize properly.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:08 am 

Razakel wrote:
Still, it's as if people of my generation (and it's even worse for the younger generation) are forgetting how to socialize properly.

This is my point exactly. If you're going to be at a place with "friends", then how about conversation eh? The younger generation will be the worst for this scenario, and it will probably degrade more over the next few [/speculation].

My collection

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:15 am 

I got rid of my cell phone over a year ago. The mental peace this offers cannot be overstated.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:15 am 

I kinda feel like everyone I meet is socially retarded. I have no problems striking up a conversation and being friendly, but there's just a lot of dead air when I talk to a lot of people now.
Hehe, foreskins.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:39 am 

What would facebook do?!

My collection

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:44 am 

*Puts on hipster glasses* I was socially retarded long before the advent of Facebook or smart phones.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:07 am 

One time I recall I went out for breakfast with a "friend with benefits" of the time. She sat there fucking about with her phone and possibly uttering a monosylabic grunt from time to time while I was trying to make conversation. Really pissed me off and I never did that again. I dont give a fuck how hung over you are, if someone is sitting at the table with you, put the phone away unless you just got a message that your house burnt down.

That said, I never had a cellphone till I was 26, and I've had that one since then (34 now) - it's a phone - it makes calls and sends texts. No camera, no internet. Someone gave me their old Iphone 3 just recently - I think it might be handy for maps and to avoid having to carry a seperate mp3 player, but last time I checked there were things called books to keep you entertained on buses and so forth. I spend all fucking day in front of a computer at work, I dont need to know what you deadbeats are saying when I'm out with my GF :p

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:32 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Not to be a geek or a jerk obsessed with accuracy, but the Deep city near Innsmouth is actually Y'ha-nthlei, not R'lyeh :-P Great Cthulhu is not pleased with you, Calusari!

Damn. I knew it wasn't R'lyeh, but had forgotten the name of this one. I've always been bad at geography.

When it comes to smartphones, I must say I find it useful for doing things like finding places via maps or checking emails while I wait for the bus (I get too antsy while waiting to read or listen to music); hell, I'm on one now. The university only communicates via email, and I'll get many a day require quick responses (meetings, almost being locked out of my own bloody office, etc).

I only joined Facebook quite recently, and, while I do check it too often, I find it to be a very useful tool for coordinating social events.

My friends and I rarely take out our phones when together; that is a ridiculous habit. If we do, though, it's as a way of sharing something, especially metal (playing a linked track and then discussing it, etc).

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:50 am 

Calusari wrote:
My friends and I rarely take out our phones when together; that is a ridiculous habit.

This conversation has been going for a little while now, but yes, this is awesome. I hate it when I'm trying to chat to someone and they pull out their phones and text or go on Facebook or something. I make a conscious effort not to do that.

In other news, I now have 3 weeks off work. Looking forward to not getting up at stupid o'clock for work. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:41 am 

I agree with most of the sentiments on this page. Irks me like hell when colleagues start fiddling on their phone when we're out for drinks or lunch/dinner. What's worse is...fiddling on your phones in the theaters!

I love my phone, which is a Nexus S. It's not a really up-to-date smartphone considering how the mobile space has exploded. I got it when I got my first full-time job last year. Quite an investment and it's been mighty useful for maps, email, news, music, to-do lists, notes, impromptu photos and of course the usual internetsing. I'd say about 30% of the time, I'd be surfing MA via the phone.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:46 am 

^ Yeah, theatres. Trying to watch a movie and you see a rectangular light in your peripherals.

If you want to spend most of your time on your phone, go for it. I just think there's times and places where it shouldn't happen.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:21 am 

MikeyC wrote:
^ Yeah, theatres. Trying to watch a movie and you see a rectangular light in your peripherals.

...or the touch click sounds.

Yeah, like you said, there is obviously a time and place for everything. I was once schooled by my ex- when I used to spend too much time on twitter :)

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:39 am 

I fully agree on the Facebook and smartphone stuff written on this page. I still don't have a Facebook page, and I never will, for personal and professional reasons, and for me, my various smartphones have been purely tools for my job. Actually, I rarely even use the "smart" features on them, and instead enjoy the convenience of a "real" keyboard and easy to use directories and searches. But if you feel the need to browse Facebook or Twitter in the presence of others in a pub, for example, you should really go stand on a freeway and do it there, preferably in the twilight wearing city-camo.

A phone, when it's a tool, needs to be, first and foremost, a reliable and comfortable phone, and being "smart" should be a secondary feature. And that's where Nokia has, IMO, screwed up lately, the three latest models I've had have been disasters as phones, with such features as crashing on the OS level once a week, taking up to an hour and a half to reboot (usually slightly less than 10 minutes, though, but still enough to fail at calling someone in a timely manner after getting off a plane, for example), being a sensitive prick in various situations, having a combination of an enormous display delay and a buffer memory on the touch screen (resulting in yours truly clicking on things that appear only two second after I try to punch something that used to be on the screen... annoying as fuck... and suddenly I find that instead of trying to find my wife's number to call her, I'm actually modifying the contents of the default screen to include the CNN international edition webpage, or changing the Wi-Fi settings, or changing the wallpaper pic, or something as stupid...), a really idiotic key lock system that results in the same setup hassle IN THE MIDDLE OF A FUCKING PHONE CALL, and then being unable to even click the setups and whatever shut once the call is over, because at that point the moronic thing decides that the key lock is locked, after all, resulting in ugly anatomical words and plenty of solitary yelling in the car.

Yeah, unless the new Lumia I'm supposed to get next week is a decent piece of engineering, I welcome the future bankruptcy or hostile takeover and merger by Microsoft or some other entity, or whatever the world might have in store for Nokia, just see this being over with. The Nokia market share seems to be in line with the quality of their phones, except that they are still doing remarkably well considering the crappiness of the E7, E75, and that one before that with the serial code I can't recall.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:01 am 

Napero wrote:
A phone, when it's a tool, needs to be, first and foremost, a reliable and comfortable phone, and being "smart" should be a secondary feature. And that's where Nokia has, IMO, screwed up lately, the three latest models I've had have been disasters as phones, with such features as crashing on the OS level once a week, taking up to an hour and a half to reboot (usually slightly less than 10 minutes, though, but still enough to fail at calling someone in a timely manner after getting off a plane, for example), being a sensitive prick in various situations, having a combination of an enormous display delay and a buffer memory on the touch screen (resulting in yours truly clicking on things that appear only two second after I try to punch something that used to be on the screen... annoying as fuck... and suddenly I find that instead of trying to find my wife's number to call her, I'm actually modifying the contents of the default screen to include the CNN international edition webpage, or changing the Wi-Fi settings, or changing the wallpaper pic, or something as stupid...), a really idiotic key lock system that results in the same setup hassle IN THE MIDDLE OF A FUCKING PHONE CALL, and then being unable to even click the setups and whatever shut once the call is over, because at that point the moronic thing decides that the key lock is locked, after all, resulting in ugly anatomical words and plenty of solitary yelling in the car.

Suddenly, now my phone's glitches don't seem to be that annoying anymore.

But yeah, I remember how I used to nag my parents for a phone, thinking it would be essential. Years later, it's more like an expensive paperweight than anything.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:08 am 

VoidApostle wrote:
*Puts on hipster glasses* I was socially retarded long before the advent of Facebook or smart phones.

This.

The main advantage of my Android phone is not having to carry a seperate MP3 player around, and it really is the best player I ever owned. Apart from that, if I took out my dumbphone every time I'm bored I still wouldn't know what the hell to do with it because I'm not planning on getting a mobile web plan anytime soon. People tend to get really annoying if I tell them that, all puzzled about why I even own a smartphone in the first place then, but these people need to shut the fuck up. Besides, I still have wifi at home and at the uni and I don't need the internet anywhere else, especially not for my non-existent facebukkake.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:25 am 

^ well, it is handy to have a mobile plan on your phone. I'm not gonna sound preachy but if yer working and receive tonnes of emails, it's easy to respond to them on the go.

Napero wrote:
Yeah, unless the new Lumia I'm supposed to get next week is a decent piece of engineering, I welcome the future bankruptcy or hostile takeover and merger by Microsoft or some other entity, or whatever the world might have in store for Nokia, just see this being over with. The Nokia market share seems to be in line with the quality of their phones, except that they are still doing remarkably well considering the crappiness of the E7, E75, and that one before that with the serial code I can't recall.

Are you talking about the 920? I heard it's quite a good phone (spec-wise). It can be a tad bulky though.
Nokia's oversight of the evolution of mobile and its ecosystem is the main reason why it stands where it stands. The company always had a mass market strategy, which worked in the early 2000s. But since 2007 and the advent of these so called 'smart' phones, nokia hasn't budged from the primitive Symbian OS. They only later adopted Meego for a while and then last year with Windows. And all their gimmicks with that pureview phone have, IMO, failed. It's difficult to compete with the open source android ecosystem. The way I see things, unless something really revolutionary happens, they will be swallowed up Samsung. I have a gut feeling that either RIM or Nokia will be acquired in the next two years...either by Microsoft or possibly even Amazon (there were talks of them getting into the mobile device business).

Last edited by shouvince on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:05 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
EDIT: PLEASE tell me that facebook has not yet infiltrated to the Deep Ones yet fish man?

No worries there. The elders strongly frown upon any activity that calls outsider attention to the community. And you can imagine what their frowns look like. There were a few youngsters several years ago that made some online dating accounts, but it all came out before too long and they were thrown in with the rest of the sacrificials during the next festival. Imagine throwing away immortality for some cheap lander hanky-panky. Kids these days.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:17 pm 

My new favorite movie ever, and I didn't even watch it yet: http://youtu.be/Q8LV1S2q2GA

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:17 pm 

I require people to keep using cell phones at inappropriate times, so they may drop them and break them. That way there's a chance they may come to my work and have me fix it. JOB SECURITY Y'ALL

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:33 pm 

Yeah, I hate having a device that has a GPS and has removed my ability to get lost. Or the fact that it has the ability to locate badass restaurants and fun stuff to do, oh man it fucking sucks that I can immediately send messages to a handful of friends to meet up somewhere, and since it has Spotify, I have literally, unlimited music without taking up any storage space. It's liberating not having it.

Yeah, we're an overstimulated generation, and many of us have succumbed to that dreadful situation of just texting in public, but if you can just step back from it, smartphones are fucking incredible.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:43 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Yeah, I hate having a device that has a GPS and has removed my ability to get lost. Or the fact that it has the ability to locate badass restaurants and fun stuff to do, oh man it fucking sucks that I can immediately send messages to a handful of friends to meet up somewhere, and since it has Spotify, I have literally, unlimited music without taking up any storage space. It's liberating not having it.

Yeah, we're an overstimulated generation, and many of us have succumbed to that dreadful situation of just texting in public, but if you can just step back from it, smartphones are fucking incredible.

Froggy the monster hipster and BH the walking cartoon are the only people to have adapted to smartphones and not become turds about it. What is the world coming to?
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:52 pm 

OH YOU HEROIC SAINTS OF MODERNITY PLEASE SAVE US FROM OUR OWN IGNORANCE!

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:40 pm 

I'm more surprised that MFR's initial "kids these days" post was allowed enough credence to tangentially give way to an actual discussion/gripefest over the last 2 pages, but whatever...

"Peaceville 3" + Katatonia during the day, 2nd wave BM at night. Not a bad holiday soundtrack over the past few days.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:31 pm 

What I love about the holidays is the sheer amount of cake one can gorge on! Just gobbled down pieces of walnut and plum cakes. What are your favorite cakes?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:34 pm 

Anyone else find it kinda stupid that nobody is mentioning the long term positives of this whole "fiscal cliff" thing? Yes, there will be a period of recession in a couple days if there's no legislation passed to stop it, but the deficit will be cut right in half because of it as well. I say they just let it happen.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:38 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
My new favorite movie ever, and I didn't even watch it yet: http://youtu.be/Q8LV1S2q2GA

I MUST WATCH THIS! :lol:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:15 pm 

shouvince wrote:
What I love about the holidays is the sheer amount of cake one can gorge on! Just gobbled down pieces of walnut and plum cakes. What are your favorite cakes?

Cheesecake. Everything else usually makes me sick because it's too dry, fatty and sugary at the same time. Cakes with unhealthy amounts of chocolate are an exception.

Last edited by inhumanist on Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:16 pm 

My favorite cake is PIE, because fuck cake.
Hehe, foreskins.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:19 pm 

The best cake is actually a cookie. That's why this time of year rules so much, my family just makes cookies day in and day out and I just gorge myself.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:25 pm 

Chocolate cake destroys every other kind of cake, especially when stuffed with dulce de leche and a cream of your choice.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:25 pm 

The best pie is a pear-pie with Advocaat that you only get in a small café in north-Germany. My mother successfully reverse-engineered the recipe. If there was a baking thread I could post it there.

1337 posts Image

Last edited by inhumanist on Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:29 pm 

LlamaTrainer wrote:
inhumanist wrote:

I MUST WATCH THIS! :lol:

This is the only Troma movie I've seen and I have a terrible impression of them now because Surf Nazis Must Die is fucking terrible. I know it has a great premise and looks wacky as fuck but it is actually very boring. That fat sassy black lady does kick a lot of ass but she can't redeem it. Even with the mindset of "lets watch a really bad movie and make fun of it for being bad" it blows. Watch THIS instead, so many ridiculous scenes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jYpiGgqT5Q
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:53 pm 

NP: Venenum's self-titled EP. Fucking dandleballs this rules hard. Wonderful instrumental tones, opulent atmosphere... not absolutely consistent writing quality from track to track, but a truly noteworthy release, to say the least. Firmly embeds its own mossy niche within the yawning grotto of contemporary death metal :hail:

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:46 pm 

I keep adding more albums to my best of list.... Maybe I should keep track of them next time.

YsmirsBeard666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:47 pm 

I can't stop watching Breaking Bad.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:05 am 

My favourite cake - and one of the few I like - is Bienenstich. There are lots of versions, but I prefer the one with vanilla pudding (custard?); the best one I've ever had is, of course, the one I grew up with, made by a tiny bakery in my home town in Lower Saxony. I haven't had it in 13 years. :(

Venenum are good, but honestly aren't doing that much for me - I tend to prefer my OSDM a little slower; though 'Bewitched Craft' is a killer track. So far, the only copy I've been able to find of the debut is close to $30; I'm hoping to find something cheaper somewhere.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:16 am 

YsmirsBeard666 wrote:
I can't stop watching Breaking Bad.

Breaking a habit as bad as that one might be difficult...

Sorry.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 738, 739, 740, 741, 742, 743, 744 ... 827  Next