Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:25 pm 

How addictive can they get? Well, stimulants in general don't have physical w/d symptoms as severe as other drugs, but psychosis/extreme depression is often reported when heavy users abstain.

Addiction is subjective (and different from dependence--one can be addicted to anything, dependence requires the presence of withdrawal symptoms). Speaking just for me, I would say they are "not very" addictive. But I'm also a downers man.

Last edited by sortalikeadream on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:43 pm 

Shortly before Christmas I received my order from Ad Noiseam, which contained all the Whourkr and Igorrr albums not named Concrete. Holy shitballs, you guys. First off, Hallelejuh is easily my number 2 release for 2012. But more than that, he's shown that he's growing as a composer, and should be placed in the same ranks as Venetian Snares, Autechre, and Squarepusher.

Funny though, but Whourkr is a clear step down in quality. I wonder if the premise of the project restricts the songwriting creativity by pigeonholing itself into too narrow of a niche.

At any rate, if you want some whacked-out electronic music, give Igorrr a listen.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:35 pm 

I have had good experiences with spending time with lots of people on MDMA :-D never tried it myself, of course. I don't roll that way.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:19 pm 

Hugo Chavez is dying. You read it here first!

:oh shit:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:25 pm 

I'm not doing anything for New Years, mostly because I just don't like to do partying, even on the days where it's pretty much required that you do.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:41 pm 

Just came back from a rather long walk (had to go outside, as I've been pretty much a recluse for the past few days). It's raining a bit outside, and I was listening to Sigh's In Somniphobia through my headphones during the little stroll. It was really awesome, but I also felt a bit dizzy and slightly paranoid a couple of times. Maybe I got into the music a bit too much :lol:

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:47 pm 

For two years, I've been sick on New Years. I'm healthy now, and I was ready to go fucking nuts because I haven't in a long time and my boss gave me the next day off, and I didn't even ask. And then today:

-My phone gets shut off because the phone company didn't get the payment; it's still pending, just hasn't been posted yet.
-My friends bail on me and move out of town with their girlfriends/boyfriends.
-I have a hundred dollars missing in limbo.
-Other plans are unlikely because of the crowds here in Grand Rapids and I won't be able to meet friends already down there; the city is expecting 30,000-40,000 people, and the cover charge for bars is around $20, not including the price of drinks which will be more than usual.

I've been anticipating this night for a long time. My rage could crack the Earth.

Obligatory Last FM Link

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:04 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
I have to opportunity to try XTC (MDMA) for the first time tonight. Is there anything I really really should know or have to prepare for?

Test first it to make sure its real MDMA and not just research chemical(s) if you haven't already.

Aszfargoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:34 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Do I visit my brother and spend the night being awkward around someone else's friends or do I spend it sitting at home being miserable. Decisions, decisions...

I chose the (only superficially miserable) staying home option. I haven't had such a calm, restful night in what feels like ages. It's just me, a few bottles of wine, music, and Ingeborg Bachmann. The only downside is that tonight will most certainly be the only night like this for quite a long time.

I, for one, would've found an evening spent awkwardly in the company of someone else's friends far too exhausting. I prefer to spare the chance of spending three to four consecutive days in a state of mental exhaustion caused by attendance of a social event! Although I can fully understand being at odds with yourself about this: I'll tend to throw myself at social events anyway more often than not, even though I know for sure that they will, well, "harm" me, if only not to get out of practice, so to speak.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:54 pm 

slayerhatesusall wrote:
henkkjelle wrote:
I have to opportunity to try XTC (MDMA) for the first time tonight. Is there anything I really really should know or have to prepare for?

Test first it to make sure its real MDMA and not just research chemical(s) if you haven't already.

Also drink a lot of water, you tend to get dehydrated on MDMA. You can get hyperthermia too (dangerously overheated) so if you're really bundled up for the cold weather you might want to remove a layer or two of clothing.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:55 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
For two years, I've been sick on New Years. I'm healthy now, and I was ready to go fucking nuts because I haven't in a long time and my boss gave me the next day off, and I didn't even ask. And then today:

-My phone gets shut off because the phone company didn't get the payment; it's still pending, just hasn't been posted yet.
-My friends bail on me and move out of town with their girlfriends/boyfriends.
-I have a hundred dollars missing in limbo.
-Other plans are unlikely because of the crowds here in Grand Rapids and I won't be able to meet friends already down there; the city is expecting 30,000-40,000 people, and the cover charge for bars is around $20, not including the price of drinks which will be more than usual.

I've been anticipating this night for a long time. My rage could crack the Earth.

Wow. Let's hope 2013 starts off in the worst possible fashion and get's exponentially better!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:08 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Also drink a lot of water, you tend to get dehydrated on MDMA. You can get hyperthermia too (dangerously overheated) so if you're really bundled up for the cold weather you might want to remove a layer or two of clothing.

Christ, is it really worth it? I just read up on the possible adverse affects and I wouldn't go near the stuff :ugh:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:17 pm 

Dude, these are just worst-case scenarios, that's what reading lists of possible side-effects will tell you. I mean, read a list of possible side-effects of alcohol. Nausea? Memory loss? Liver damage?? Christ, is it really worth it? In reality a reasonable dose of pure MDMA is very safe. Most of the real danger comes from 1) being an idiot and taking way too much, or 2) buying it from a questionable source and getting a pill cut with mystery drugs or even something not containing MDMA at all. If you're responsible, you'll be fine.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:20 pm 

Yeah, therapists even used to use it in small doses.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:27 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Dude, these are just worst-case scenarios, that's what reading lists of possible side-effects will tell you. I mean, read a list of possible side-effects of alcohol. Nausea? Memory loss? Liver damage?? Christ, is it really worth it?

I've asked myself the same thing every fucking night so far on vacation.

The answer has been "yes," by the way. A resounding yes.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:33 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Dude, these are just worst-case scenarios, that's what reading lists of possible side-effects will tell you. I mean, read a list of possible side-effects of alcohol. Nausea? Memory loss? Liver damage?? Christ, is it really worth it? In reality a reasonable dose of pure MDMA is very safe. Most of the real danger comes from 1) being an idiot and taking way too much, or 2) buying it from a questionable source and getting a pill cut with mystery drugs or even something not containing MDMA at all. If you're responsible, you'll be fine.

Yeah, your right. I got ahead of myself there. Responsibility is the key word and it does make a difference. All in all, if hes around a cool group of people, He'll have fun I am sure.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:02 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Most of the real danger comes from 1) being an idiot and taking way too much, or 2) buying it from a questionable source and getting a pill cut with mystery drugs or even something not containing MDMA at all.

3) Lack of awareness of what the drug does to the body
4) Not drinking nearly enough water due to attenuated thirst: hyperthermia ---(dance all night long)---> hyperpyrexia, renal failure
5) Overcompensating with water because you've been told to: urinary retention ---(keep drinking)---> hyponatremia, vomiting, fainting & unconsciousness
6) Taking other drugs and compounding all the problems

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:36 pm 

Ahh, this New Years is awesome. Last night here in Barbados on the beach, ordering a hella lot of Chinese food, and then going and getting hammered at the fish fry for the rest of the night. Halfway there now! :D

HAPPY NEW YEARS ERR'ONE!
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:22 pm 

Jesus, have you guys ALL done ecstasy? o_O
I know too many people that have just gone downhill from usage (constant and sparingly), so I would never try the stuff.

I DO smoke weed, though. Any of you guys smoke weed? What's the best way to get by drug checks?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:48 pm 

I just heard The Ultra Violence by Death Angel in a Carl's Jr. commercial.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:10 pm 

TheMysticWombat wrote:
What's the best way to get by drug checks?

Don't smoke weed. It stays in your body for long time.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:11 pm 

I wish you all a happy new year, people! May these be twelve months full of joy, success, metal, and other awesome shit :headbang:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:13 pm 

The earth has once again orbited the sun without exploding or being hit by meteors. Congratulations, earth!

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:17 pm 

Oh, don't be such a Debbie Downer, Lex! I know you're all fuzzy and warm inside! Come on, let me give you a hug :-D

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:24 pm 

I'm not, man! I'm genuinely amazed! The little earth that could, in a chaotic and unpredictable universe :bow:

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:33 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, how should I celebrate.....

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:47 pm 

Spectro trip and sleep the last mile on the way to Endsville.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:51 pm 

I didn't understand a word of what you said, Lex.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:00 am 

A most desolate New Year to you all.

*kisses the dog from the lack of women in this house*

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:01 am 

I wish there was a way I could watch the New York fireworks, which should be happening as I type, but I'll just wait for the various YouTube videos to appear.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:06 am 

Jenny McCarthy just kissed a dude on TV that has visible herpes. Serves the bitch right.

Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:07 am 

Happy New Year!!
Spoiler: show

Last edited by Metalfuckingrules on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:08 am 

kingnuuuur wrote:
failsafeman wrote:
Most of the real danger comes from 1) being an idiot and taking way too much, or 2) buying it from a questionable source and getting a pill cut with mystery drugs or even something not containing MDMA at all.

3) Lack of awareness of what the drug does to the body
4) Not drinking nearly enough water due to attenuated thirst: hyperthermia ---(dance all night long)---> hyperpyrexia, renal failure
5) Overcompensating with water because you've been told to: urinary retention ---(keep drinking)---> hyponatremia, vomiting, fainting & unconsciousness
6) Taking other drugs and compounding all the problems

Well, 4 and 5 are basically a part of 3, and 6 is basically a part of 2. But yeah, those things don't happen too often considering how many MDMA users are out there. A little bit of knowledge (like, 5 minutes on the internet) and a little bit of experience (starting small, working your way up, finding the 'sweet spot' where your ideal dosage is) basically guarantee your safety. MDMA isn't addictive, either.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:09 am 

MikeyC wrote:
I wish there was a way I could watch the New York fireworks, which should be happening as I type, but I'll just wait for the various YouTube videos to appear.

There are tonnes of places where fireworks are being streamed live.

Oh and Happy New Year MA and all you junkies!

Edit: Mikey, here you go.
http://newyears.earthcam.com/ts/index.h ... st_nye2013
http://www.heyreverb.com/blog/2012/12/3 ... are/59133/

The first link is working for me.

Last edited by shouvince on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:10 am 

shouvince wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

I saw one but I had to pay. I'll just wait for YouTube. It'll be on the news, but that means watching the news.

Happy new year to all the Americans. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:13 am 

MikeyC wrote:
shouvince wrote:

I saw one but I had to pay. I'll just wait for YouTube. It'll be on the news, but that means watching the news.

Happy new year to all the Americans. :)

Here you go. Free.
http://newyears.earthcam.com/ts/index.h ... st_nye2013

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:15 am 

shouvince wrote:

:tongue: I missed it! Never mind. Thanks, anyway. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:16 am 

MikeyC wrote:
shouvince wrote:

:tongue: I missed it! Never mind. Thanks, anyway. :)

Haha. Yeah, I guess you tuned in when they were signing off. Sokay. You could still catch the new year celebrations on the west coast.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:26 am 

shouvince wrote:
Haha. Yeah, I guess you tuned in when they were signing off. Sokay. You could still catch the new year celebrations on the west coast.

Yeah, I might do that. Cheers. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:49 am 

New Year's day, hungover and hot and humid as hell. Yep, everything is what it should be...

My collection

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 740, 741, 742, 743, 744, 745, 746 ... 827  Next