Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:34 pm 

Crick wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
I worked out yesterday, had an awesome, healthy meal and ate good the rest of the day. I had an awesome day at work, I was perked up, aware, in-tune, getting tons of work done and was in good spirits.

I did not work out this morning and started my day with McDonald's breakfast, and I didn't eat well the rest of the day. My mood was dour, I was feeling tired and worn out, and I wasn't anywhere near as focused, and my mood was poor. I also felt like shit.

The difference matters. Trust me.

I woke up early yesterday and didnt eat till 10PM. I was in super high spirits and had fun in class, and was actually pretty satisfied with my work. I exercised before bed.

WHAT NOW, MAGIC MAN?!?!?!?!

Well, you exercised before bed the previous day. That probably explains it. I was pointing out that in my case, food, sleep and exercise directly affects my performance and mood in very real ways. I didn't give a shit five years ago. Even at twenty-five, I can feel it affect me now.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:41 pm 

Can we all agree that Philip K. Dick's 'The Eyes Have Seen It' is one of the funniest and most creative 2-page science fiction stories ever written? And that I should have posted this in the literature thread?

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:54 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Well, you exercised before bed the previous day. That probably explains it. I was pointing out that in my case, food, sleep and exercise directly affects my performance and mood in very real ways. I didn't give a shit five years ago. Even at twenty-five, I can feel it affect me now.

Actually, the day prior I did not exercise before bed.

WHAT NOWWWWW (Yeah, its probably good for you, but I am an infinite well of power)
Hehe, foreskins.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:00 pm 

I'm going to turn into a fat blob soon if I don't eat healthy and start exercising. Where do you find the will power for all that?

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:01 pm 

shouvince wrote:
I'm going to turn into a fat blob soon if I don't eat healthy and start exercising. Where do you find the will power for all that?

Cocaine and creatine.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:03 pm 

shouvince wrote:

It's all about you man, if you have the willpower to get up and do it. :nods:

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:09 pm 

Marag wrote:
shouvince wrote:

Cocaine and creatine.

Interesting.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:20 pm 

shouvince wrote:

The ability to give a shit and realize that changing your eating habits isn't as difficult as it may seem.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:47 pm 

What I eat doesn't necessarily affect my weight I've noticed, unless that includes beer and ridiculously large steaks/ hamburgers. Get out and exercise more, it isn't that difficult.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:09 pm 

Yes it is. When I go to bed I tell myself that when I get up I'm gonna work out before I go to work. Then I get up and usually take a power nap instead.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:18 pm 

iAm wrote:
What I eat doesn't necessarily affect my weight I've noticed, unless that includes beer and ridiculously large steaks/ hamburgers. Get out and exercise more, it isn't that difficult.

It may not affect your weight, (some people have super high metabolism that offsets the weight part), but your health is definitely still being damaged. Weight is a short to medium term problem you notice. Other effects that you can't see will be the things that kill you sooner.

I don't know. I feel like I'm in a better place than I was even a year ago. I saw the foods I was still eating for the past decade. Even just a food switch to all natural chicken and tons of greens and veggies, the difference is night and day, every day.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:34 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
iAm wrote:

It may not affect your weight, (some people have super high metabolism that offsets the weight part), but your health is definitely still being damaged. Weight is a short to medium term problem you notice. Other effects that you can't see will be the things that kill you sooner.

Oh totally, I'm way out of shape even though I'm pretty thin. I'm sure me being a smoker has something to do with that too, though.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:44 pm 

Really it's super easy to eat healthy if you actually learn how to cook. It's prepackaged food that really kills you with calories. Also cooking for yourself is cheap and easy, once you have a few pieces of equipment and a modest collection of spices.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:53 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Really it's super easy to eat healthy if you actually learn how to cook. It's prepackaged food that really kills you with calories. Also cooking for yourself is cheap and easy, once you have a few pieces of equipment and a modest collection of spices.

Not even that. Just know how to pick out three or four different veggies or rices a week. Pair them with a chicken breast/tender or lean beef and voila.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:58 pm 

Well, the point I forgot to make is that people who suck at cooking often don't want to "eat healthy" because fatty greasy prepackaged food tastes way better than what they can cook, and various cliche notions of healthy food (bland, skinless chicken breasts, steamed celery, etc.). But if you're a halfway decent cook it's really not hard to cook delicious food that can rival pizzas, burgers, fries, whatever unhealthy shit you crave. My split pea soup is like 90% vegetables and 10% ham and bacon, yet it tastes as hearty as a big juicy hamburger. Once you get decent at cooking you don't have to battle those cravings that people trying to lose weight often have for fast food.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:02 pm 

Eh, we see differently on that. It's all about the quality of food you buy at the store, and how it's cooked that create healthy foods out of just the food itself. I buy skinless chicken tenders (the organic shit, it's better and juicier), and I cook them so they're nice and juicy, squirt a half lemon on the suckers while they cook. I'll usually steam white rice and broccoli, or green beans, asparagus, mushrooms, etc.

But I suck when it comes to spices and shit which is why I just put lemon on everything. Lemon is awesome, so yeah. But, to me, I need food to power me through the day. I don't really eat for pleasure, so to speak, (that sounds pretentious as shit), but the shit I cook still tastes awesome. I'm also not trying to cook ultra-gourmet food. Just something quick and easy.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:04 pm 

See that might be fine for you but it's really not enough for most people. Just invest in some basic spices like oregano and thyme, cooking is MUCH easier than people think. Lemon does go really well on chicken, though, you're not wrong about that.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:08 pm 

You don't think people get turned off from cooking because they feel like they can't cook these extravagant, gourmet meals with these crazy spices and majestic seasonings in just the first few times they do it? That's how I always looked at cooking, at least, but once I started buying my own food and just cooking the food as is, my eyeballs popped out of my head. Maybe I'll graduate to more gourmet shit in the future, but that's not really the goal for me at the moment. I'd like to cook specialty shit on occasion, but definitely not as a day-to-day meal.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:18 pm 

Any of you guys know a good, free email service that is free of bullshit? I'm trying to switch from Hotmail. I did look at Gmail, but at a glance, it doesn't seem to be much better.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:25 pm 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
Any of you guys know a good, free email service that is free of bullshit? I'm trying to switch from Hotmail. I did look at Gmail, but at a glance, it doesn't seem to be much better.

Define bullshit?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:29 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
You don't think people get turned off from cooking because they feel like they can't cook these extravagant, gourmet meals with these crazy spices and majestic seasonings in just the first few times they do it? That's how I always looked at cooking, at least, but once I started buying my own food and just cooking the food as is, my eyeballs popped out of my head. Maybe I'll graduate to more gourmet shit in the future, but that's not really the goal for me at the moment. I'd like to cook specialty shit on occasion, but definitely not as a day-to-day meal.

Dude, you're the one blowing it out of proportion. Cooking this supposed "gourmet shit" with "crazy spices" is fucking easy most of the time. Seriously, the difference between what you cook and "gourmet shit" is like a pinch or two of herbs that you can buy at any supermarket.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:32 pm 

failsafe is right. Most of the stuff I thought was super hard took nothing more than a youtube video and some patience. I went from making eggs perfectly for me to all the dishes I could want. Teriyaki though I still suck at. I haven't figured that out.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:03 am 

failsafeman wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

Dude, you're the one blowing it out of proportion. Cooking this supposed "gourmet shit" with "crazy spices" is fucking easy most of the time. Seriously, the difference between what you cook and "gourmet shit" is like a pinch or two of herbs that you can buy at any supermarket.

And... I agree with you? Er... so you don't want to have a conversation, then? All I did was pose a question about why people might be intimidated by cooking. I wasn't attacking what or how you cook, but it sure seems like you feel that way.

The point I was trying to make is that many people who don't cook, might stay out of the kitchen because they feel intimated when it comes to making things from scratch, and they probably overcomplicate it and way overshoot what they're actually cooking, hence the need for, "crazy spices", "majestic seasonings" and hours of time they think they need to make food work, when it's really super simple.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:13 am 

A lot of the time I don't have time to cook for myself as much as I'd like to, due to a shitload of classes, work, etc., but once the school stuff is done with I plan to really delve more into it. Dabbled in it a bit and I want to do more.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:18 am 

Was going to see Satan's Satyrs again tonight, but ended up leaving before they played after some of the antics of the opening act ruined the enjoyment for me and my friend. The singer of the band was hitting himself in the head with the mic until he bled, and then was banging his head on the floor repeatedly. It was really weird and just took away from the overall enjoyment of the show. Kinda bummed about it.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:30 am 

analog_winter wrote:
Was going to see Satan's Satyrs again tonight, but ended up leaving before they played after some of the antics of the opening act ruined the enjoyment for me and my friend. The singer of the band was hitting himself in the head with the mic until he bled, and then was banging his head on the floor repeatedly. It was really weird and just took away from the overall enjoyment of the show. Kinda bummed about it.

What the..... Was that guy high or something?

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:32 am 

I do not know, but like I said, it was really weird and really took away the enjoyment of the show.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:33 am 

You could at least stay to see the headliner you paid money for. Go outside during the set of the opener?

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:37 am 

I thought about that, but it was only $5 and I had seen the headliner before, but stuff like that is just really uncomfortable to witness (at least for my friend and I), and it really does kinda sour the mood.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:36 am 

Public mutilation doesn't really bother me. There is a line where Rock And Roll becomes attempted suicide, however.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:46 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

And... I agree with you? Er... so you don't want to have a conversation, then? All I did was pose a question about why people might be intimidated by cooking. I wasn't attacking what or how you cook, but it sure seems like you feel that way.

The point I was trying to make is that many people who don't cook, might stay out of the kitchen because they feel intimated when it comes to making things from scratch, and they probably overcomplicate it and way overshoot what they're actually cooking, hence the need for, "crazy spices", "majestic seasonings" and hours of time they think they need to make food work, when it's really super simple.

No man we're cool. My point is that you're at like step one of a process (not cooking at all being step zero), where step two would be figuring out that even the hard shit is actually pretty easy to cook for the most part. Like OzzyApu said, with a good youtube video and some patience even a beginner cook can make just about anything, as long as you're not expecting it to turn out perfectly the first couple of times.

Honestly the main difference between an amateur chef and a professional chef is that a pro chef can cook what we cook twice as efficiently, while also cooking a bunch of other stuff at the same time. If you just pick one thing and take your time, it's really not that hard to cook a restaurant-grade meal.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:53 am 

Cooking isn't intimidating if you get in and have a crack/experiment with different seasoning and spices, and most importantly, taste test it. It can really change the dynamic of the dish you're making. This one was an experimentation of fresh, as in caught that day, pan fried (extra virgin olive oil used) bonito fillets, rice seasoned with mirin, sushi seasoning and steamed baby bok choy (which I overcooked a little...), and was bloody delicious, plus I had never made it before. Easy as.

Spoiler: show

FROM NOW ON I WILL BE A GOOD BOY AND PUT BIG IMAGES IN SPOILER TAGS

My collection

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:27 am 

That looks pretty good!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:50 am 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:

This question reminded about the Goatse email being launched this year. For those of you who don't know, Goatse was a disgusting meme from the mid 2000s. If it was a free service, I probably would've signed up.

http://www.indiegogo.com/GoatseMail/

analog_winter wrote:
I thought about that, but it was only $5 and I had seen the headliner before, but stuff like that is just really uncomfortable to witness (at least for my friend and I), and it really does kinda sour the mood.

Was that a lady friend? But damn, that was plain weird.

Crushed, that looks delish!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:56 am 

Cooking is easy, but my kitchen-corner is tiny and full of unwashed dishes, so fuck me.

shouvince wrote:
link that has the word goatse in it

Yeah I'll definitely not click that.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:30 am 

inhumanist wrote:
Cooking is easy, but my kitchen-corner is tiny and full of unwashed dishes, so fuck me.

shouvince wrote:
link that has the word goatse in it

Yeah I'll definitely not click that.

Haha, it's innocuous really. I know it's pretty weird to have that as an email id. But go ahead. Click. Do it. Now.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:23 am 

I don't worry that much about eating healthy.
I'm going to die whether I eat healthy or not.

Amor Fatty...

Seriously though, I do like to cook good/healthy food and experimenting with spices and junk... But I'm a socially-retarded dependent and shut-in with no income and a family that mostly just eats garbage. Look for me on Hoarders in a few years! I'll be the toothless, mumbling fat idiot who lives with his mommy after her husband died and she let her house go to shit.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:05 am 

Fox News Claims Solar Won't Work in America Because It's Not Sunny Like Germany

Oh god, my sides!
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:21 am 

So glad my girlfriend makes amazing food because no matter how hard I try, it doesn't work out well apart from French toast, I make a killer French toast.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:25 am 

Ok fuck here goes nothing. My modest attempt at making lunch. Fried rice with peas, sausages and plain scrambled eggs. I'm learning.

Spoiler: show

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 796, 797, 798, 799, 800, 801, 802 ... 827  Next