Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:37 pm 

Just found out that James Randi is speaking in my city tonight! Stoked!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:46 pm 

Pogo wrote:
I don't like Judas Priest and, no, I will not get out. You get out.

It seems we're going to have a problem here....

Seriously though, I understand difference of opinion and taste and all that, but enjoying Sabbath, Priest, and Maiden is basically a metalhead requirement for me. It's so strange for me to think that people don't.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Pogo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:50 pm 

I like Sabbath and I like Maiden. Priest can just go fuck off, though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:53 pm 

Not like I really care enough to get mad or anything but what makes Priest that much worse to you? Seems like quite a radical shift in opinion for bands that are usually pretty well liked together.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:57 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Not like I really care enough to get mad or anything but what makes Priest that much worse to you? Seems like quite a radical shift in opinion for bands that are usually pretty well liked together.

That's one of the reasons it's so perplexing to me. Have you only heard British Steel and Screaming for Vengeance and then decided they sucked? I'm just not quite sure how one jumps on the hate train for Priest while still liking Maiden. They've always been part of a pair to me.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:01 pm 

Pogo wrote:
I like Sabbath and I like Maiden. Priest can just go fuck off, though.

Same here. I especially love early Sabbath (like most metalheads) but I've never cared for Priest.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:05 pm 

I can understand people not liking Preist but to tell them to "go fuck themselves" just comes off as ignorant to me, based off how many great bands they've inspired.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:09 pm 

Endless stupidity abound.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:31 pm 

People act as if the FFA hasn't been locked before. You'd think the Roman numerals next to the title of the thread would be a hint that this happens all the time?

And yeah, +1 on skipping Turbo when we get there. :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:42 pm 

I don't like Iron Maiden. Black Sabbath and Judas Priest are good, but not amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6_EM956 ... re=related

Anyone else had to laugh around 11:35 when Michael Kiske suddenly had a bucket on his head and Kai Hansen danced like an idiot? :lol:

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:47 pm 

colin040 wrote:
I don't like Iron Maiden.

:o
colin040 wrote:
Black Sabbath and Judas Priest are good, but not amazing.

o_O

RaudtOgSvart
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:51 pm 

I think Judas Priest makes bad music.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:53 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
colin040 wrote:
I don't like Iron Maiden.

:o
colin040 wrote:
Black Sabbath and Judas Priest are good, but not amazing.

o_O

Hey, atleast I'm not telling others to ''go fuck themselfs''! :p

Seriously now, Iron Maiden never really clicked at all. Judas Priest I can appreicate, I don't find them amazing but I enjoy Sad Wings of Destiny and Painkiller once in a while. Black Sabbath I find to be quite inconsistent, but they have quality albums.

Also Gamma Ray's first debut sucks, but man, ''Lust for Life'' rules so much.

LIVE! LIFE! EAAASYYY!

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:56 pm 

New FFA, huh?

Hi all.

Pogo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:57 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

You mean aside from finding Halford's voice annoying?

A lot has to do with family matters. Namely an older brother who is a junkie douchebag and a big Priest fanboy. (Incidentally, also the same brother who got me started in metal at a young age.) It's complex. In summary I find Halford annoying and have some unpleasant memories associated with Priest. Not too unlike my absolute disdain for Michael Bolton thanks to my mom playing "Time, Love and Tenderness" for 24 hours STRAIGHT while driving between California and Utah in '92. I get twitchy just thinking about it.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:02 pm 

I know this is kind of irrational and I'm going off on a tangent here, but I honestly can't see how somebody can be into metal and dislike Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Maiden. I've seen people like this before, and I just don't understand it. Like, really, were those bands not an essential part of your metal upbringing? And even if they weren't, how can you deny the LOADS of excellent riffs, catchy choruses and soaring vocals in ANY of the three bands? It puzzles me.

Oh another note, is Napero becoming the new Nightgaunt or something? Because it seems like Gaunt's trademark "long-ass lock posts that own everybody who posted in the thread prior" have been mysteriously absent (haven't seen one in a while) and Nappy's had quite a few of them in the recent past.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

GarageMetal468
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:03 pm 

Wow I am pissed. Usually free Scion sponsored grind shows have a California date and a Chicago date. Since January I've seen Trap Them/Black Breath/Mammoth Grinder and Magrudergrind. Gridlink and Phobia also had one but I couldn't make it. Of course, this next one they're having has fucking REPULSION on there, and it's only a CA date. God fucking dammit. Eh, guess they couldn't get them to Chicago for this one, maybe.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:27 pm 

I mainly dislike Judas Priest because of the vocals. I can't stand them. I saw Halford live opening for Ozzy, and it was fun, but I couldn't see myself enjoying his voice on CD. 99% of the songs I've heard by Priest just don't do it for me.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:28 pm 

YOU GUYS ARE ALL WEIRD!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:29 pm 

I usually assume anyone who says they don't like Priest haven't heard Sad Wings of Destiny or Stained Class.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:32 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I usually assume anyone who says they don't like Priest haven't heard Sad Wings of Destiny or Stained Class are giant poseurs who need to GTFO.

Yeah, I went there. :D

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:34 pm 

Heh, I would love to make such inflammatory statements but there are pretty huge chunks of their discography I can't get into.

Sad Wings, Sin after Sin, and Stained Class are three of my all time favorite records though. I could not function as a human being without these.

Bahamut7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:35 pm 

I always expected the odd person to not like Priest, Maiden or Sabbath anyway. :P

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:37 pm 

Of the Holy Trinity comprising Priest, Maiden, and Sabbath, Sabbath is probably my least favorite. Looooooove Priest and Maiden.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:42 pm 

Does anyone know if Obscene Productions still carries copies of Elvenefris? At this point I'd jump out a second-story window if it meant I could get my hands on one. :hyper:

Pogo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:42 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I usually assume anyone who says they don't like Priest haven't heard Sad Wings of Destiny or Stained Class.

I've had the misfortune of hearing all of Priest's work between my little brother, my friends, my older brother and the "baby daddy" listening to it around me. Still don't like it. The "baby daddy" is a fan and bought Angel of Retribution when visiting me in '05 (release day) just to hear it because he didn't want to wait to return home to get his pre-ordered CD in the mail. :durr: He ended up giving it to me. I, in turn, have since given it to my daughter as it's the only thing I can give her from her father. Turns out she likes Priest. Yuck. I had to institute a rule about headphones. Also... she's five. :grumble:

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:45 pm 

I'm very disappointed, we almost got all the way to 1000 pages in the last FFA :(

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:46 pm 

Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin after Sin, Stained Class, Screaming for vengeance, and Defenders of the faith are just pure awesome. Can't even pick a favorite out of those 5.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:51 pm 

Pogo wrote:
He ended up giving it to me. I, in turn, have since given it to my daughter as it's the only thing I can give her from her father.

:(

That's sad. Doubly so because it's fucking Angel of Retribution.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:51 pm 

There's the obvious three (Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin after Sin, and Stained Class) for me, the 80s were pretty hit and miss, but Painkiller is one of my all time favorites. I understand a lot of fans don't like it because it completely eschews the complexity of their early works, but fuck they are just too good at simply hammering their point home.

Pogo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:53 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Pogo wrote:
He ended up giving it to me. I, in turn, have since given it to my daughter as it's the only thing I can give her from her father.

:(

At least she has since decided that Scream Bloody Gore is her favorite.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:57 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Of the Holy Trinity comprising Priest, Maiden, and Sabbath, Sabbath is probably my least favorite. Looooooove Priest and Maiden.

Heh, I'm the opposite. Black Sabbath was a formative force in my early metal background and I still love several of the Ozzy-era albums (Dio, not so much). Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, however, were not (in fact I managed to come at metal from a side passage that didn't include them whatsoever), and I still can't really get into them. Not that I can't see why people would like them, they just don't really do it for me somehow. Iron Maiden I have more experience with, and Seventh Son and Powerslave are enjoyable, as well as parts of Piece of Mind and Somewhere in Time, but they're nothing I'd revisit very often. Judas Priest, on the other hand, hasn't really compelled me to jump on their studded leather-covered wagon at all, judging by what I've heard (to wit, Unleashed in the East and Sad Wings of Destiny, the latter being impossible for me to get through more than three or four tracks of before getting bored). They're just not my thing, I suppose. Though I never claimed to be a metalhead, so my street cred isn't exactly in jeopardy.

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:04 pm 

Ahh, I miss Boardland I.

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:07 pm 

failsafeman wrote:

Are you looking down on Angel of Retribution? Because if so, FUCK YOU! :fuck:

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:09 pm 

Oh yeah, I also wanted to share this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05zhL1YUd8Q

One of the most painfully retarded collections of arguments I've ever seen for veganism. Any logicians in the house may want to steel themselves.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:10 pm 

RapeTheDead wrote:
I know this is kind of irrational and I'm going off on a tangent here, but I honestly can't see how somebody can be into metal and dislike Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Maiden. I've seen people like this before, and I just don't understand it. Like, really, were those bands not an essential part of your metal upbringing? And even if they weren't, how can you deny the LOADS of excellent riffs, catchy choruses and soaring vocals in ANY of the three bands? It puzzles me.

Oh another note, is Napero becoming the new Nightgaunt or something? Because it seems like Gaunt's trademark "long-ass lock posts that own everybody who posted in the thread prior" have been mysteriously absent (haven't seen one in a while) and Nappy's had quite a few of them in the recent past.

Napero's name is really Asenath.

And I believe every metalhead can find at least one Sabbath or Priest album that they like.

And I can't believe someone just compared Judas Priest with Michael Bolton. Well, I laughed, anyway.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Pogo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:12 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
RapeTheDead wrote:

Napero's name is really Asenath.

And I believe every metalhead can find at least one Sabbath or Priest album that they like.

And I can't believe someone just compared Judas Priest with Michael Bolton. Well, I laughed, anyway.

Someone? :-( You don't remember meeeee?

I'm going to go cry now. :-P

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:15 pm 

I got Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin, and Stained Class at the same time, and it took me a while to really get into SWoD. I was coming into it as someone who listened to more modern and more "extreme" material (my listening habits at the time could probably be summed as "nothing before 1980"), so I suppose the overall sound was a big part of that (these weren't the new remastered versions, either).

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:16 pm 

Pogo wrote:

Someone? :-( You don't remember meeeee?

I'm going to go cry now. :-P

Hahah, I do, but was too lazy to search back and determine who it was who made that comparison.

Don't cry. Listen to Stained Class instead. You'll feel better.

Least favourite of the "holy trinity" would be Maiden, but I still enjoy the hell out of some of their albums.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:19 pm 

TheNiceNightmare wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

Are you looking down on Angel of Retribution? Because if so, FUCK YOU! :fuck:

Yes, I am. Come at me, bro

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 827  Next