Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:19 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
There is no style of music which does not have a strong contingent following on MA. Everything overlaps somewhere.

No one likes crunkcore. No one.
Hehe, foreskins.

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:27 am 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
I created a second user on my computer so I could open up a new iTunes. I'm adding all of my non-metal music into the iTunes, and foobar2000 (for the lossless files). I even set up a scrobbler and everything for last fm. I was getting overwhelmed trying to wade through mountains of metal albums in my folders to get to non-metal albums.

I feel like for the past year or two metal has completely dominated my time, and my music preference. I want to have metal be separate from the other music, because there's something about metal that's 'different' than other music. Getting into metal only leads to more metal. All of the genre is kind of closed off from other music. There's hardly any noticeable influence with a metal band that doesn't come from other metal bands. That's not a bad thing, but it doesn't help when I want to be into more music than just metal.

Although I love the genre, and I feel like I've dug so deep, I found gems that only the extremely hardcore, such as a lot of the users on this site (I presume), and myself only into. My idea is to start with a clean slate, except I can still come back to my old library any time I want. I barely have any non-metal albums to listen to. I think seeing them all in iTunes already makes it a lot clearer, and it will be easier for my eyes and mind to fill in the blanks once I get to finding new, non-metal albums to add to the library.

I know what you mean. I've just delved so deep into the metal that I've found the source of all things metal, and have become one with it. I am metal.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:38 am 

Metallic Shock wrote:
Damn after reading this page I remembered that MA has a surprisingly extensive rap fan base. I always usually thought the two genres had opposing fans or something but I guess not.

That's what you get for reading YouTube comments.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:49 am 

Crick wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:
There is no style of music which does not have a strong contingent following on MA. Everything overlaps somewhere.

No one likes crunkcore. No one.

May I add my two cents?

NO. ONE.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:51 am 

Is crunkcore a real thing, or did you two just make that up to scare everyone else?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:53 am 

Look up Brokencyde, cry for mankind, move on.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:59 am 

Mother of Cthulhu. I'll move on when I've stopped twitching.

I really thought that was a made-up thing. o_O

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:02 am 

It gets worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0RsVkSQo6c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trhh6EOLSkc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tubq_z3csRo

Much, much worse. It really is a tossup between this and thugcore as the worst musical style ever created.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:06 am 

Sounds like you guys need some Attack Attack! to cleanse your palate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDzt6yI3Dw8

Edit
Actually, I feel really guilty now. Have some King Diamond instead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdJKLE58FUM

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:10 am 

The thing about Attack Attack is that they went from being offensively terrible to just plain bad once they jumped on the core kid bandwagon of being darker and less goofy looking. Plus it gave them the single worst guitar tone I've ever heard on a record. Ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViSZI6UJEUQ

This on the other hand trumps everything Attack Attack have ever done in terms of total face rape disguised as music.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:16 am 

Do not bring up DTS ever again in here, Subrick. That was the worst. I'm compelled to play Gecko's "One Night Stand" to cleanse my ears.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:18 am 

You posers just aren't gangsta enough to handle duh mad slams.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:21 am 

However, I do not feel anger when listening that song, merely bewilderment that a group of people could actually make that incoherent and chopped together a song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZF5m-vmDzM

This on the other hand pisses me off in every single way possible. I HATE this band. I hate their music. I hate their douchebag looking white guy with dreads guitarist, I hate their big tit mascot singer, I hate that they are singlehandedly the biggest setback to women in metal music possibly ever, I just hate every single fucking thing about this band.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:24 am 

You guys laugh now, but you just wait until Thumbs Up Get Down reaches viral popularity. My buddy stumbled across this today and it's a comedy goldmine, the fact that it has less than three thousand views is something of a bittersweet tragedy. Yeah, great this hasn't become popular or the new thing people try to rip off, but so many people are being deprived of the hilarity. A few choice words from my friends:

"The singer looks like he steals his mom's wine coolers"
"They literally have a guy who screams for ten seconds and that's it?"
"This is literally the worst breakdown ever, it's like a Ke$ha song"
"it's not that bad"

The band describes their genre as "Boston Best Friend-based Dance-Core".

You're welcome.

EDIT: I also love how there's a keyboard part, but the dude just sits behind a laptop and doesn't actually play any keys. CLASSIC
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Last edited by BastardHead on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:25 am 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
I created a second user on my computer so I could open up a new iTunes. I'm adding all of my non-metal music into the iTunes, and foobar2000 (for the lossless files). I even set up a scrobbler and everything for last fm. I was getting overwhelmed trying to wade through mountains of metal albums in my folders to get to non-metal albums.

I feel like for the past year or two metal has completely dominated my time, and my music preference. I want to have metal be separate from the other music, because there's something about metal that's 'different' than other music. Getting into metal only leads to more metal. All of the genre is kind of closed off from other music. There's hardly any noticeable influence with a metal band that doesn't come from other metal bands. That's not a bad thing, but it doesn't help when I want to be into more music than just metal.

Although I love the genre, and I feel like I've dug so deep, I found gems that only the extremely hardcore, such as a lot of the users on this site (I presume), and myself only into. My idea is to start with a clean slate, except I can still come back to my old library any time I want. I barely have any non-metal albums to listen to. I think seeing them all in iTunes already makes it a lot clearer, and it will be easier for my eyes and mind to fill in the blanks once I get to finding new, non-metal albums to add to the library.

I love foobar2000. the only thing that sucks is it wont work with my ipod, but my ipod is kinda broken anyway.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:30 am 

Subrick wrote:
However, I do not feel anger when listening that song, merely bewilderment that a group of people could actually make that incoherent and chopped together a song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZF5m-vmDzM

This on the other hand pisses me off in every single way possible. I HATE this band. I hate their music. I hate their douchebag looking white guy with dreads guitarist, I hate their big tit mascot singer, I hate that they are singlehandedly the biggest setback to women in metal music possibly ever, I just hate every single fucking thing about this band.

That was truly awful. This is the kind of stuff Metal Hammer has a hard on for, I'm certain of it.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:33 am 

BastardHead wrote:
You guys laugh now, but you just wait until Thumbs Up Get Down reaches viral popularity. My buddy stumbled across this today and it's a comedy goldmine, the fact that it has less than three thousand views is something of a bittersweet tragedy. Yeah, great this hasn't become popular or the new thing people try to rip off, but so many people are being deprived of the hilarity. A few choice words from my friends:

"The singer looks like he steals his mom's wine coolers"
"They literally have a guy who screams for ten seconds and that's it?"
"This is literally the worst breakdown ever, it's like a Ke$ha song"
"it's not that bad"

The band describes their genre as "Boston Best Friend-based Dance-Core".

You're welcome.

EDIT: I also love how there's a keyboard part, but the dude just sits behind a laptop and doesn't actually play any keys. CLASSIC

It was like they were desperately trying to make a song that you'd hear in a cell phone commercial, only without all the overproduced singing thus showing how terrible the singer is.

Necroticism174 wrote:
That was truly awful. This is the kind of stuff Metal Hammer has a hard on for, I'm certain of it.

It's not the worst stuff I've ever heard musically, although it is indeed really goddamn bad, but very few other songs or bands bring such deep hatred and anger out in me.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:37 am 

Oh no, it's musically pure shit. And I've rarely heard such aggressively grating and terrible vocals.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:43 am 

Her abysmal vocals ruined an instrumentally great cover of Postmortem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rt_iNAbA8U

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:52 am 

Her abysmal vocals ruined an instrumentally good cover of Postmortem. Only problem with the instruments on it is that the drumming is less complex fill wise than the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rt_iNAbA8U

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:19 am 

^ That was terrible. The hag ruined one of my favorite Slayer songs. I'm visibly very pissed. Don't they review shit before posting it up. Guess they all suck at knowing what sounds good and what doesn't.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:19 am 

I really wanted to post Complete since yall are talking about worst music, but there's different kinds of bad. Complete will never be as gay as some of the stuff above, it's harmless really.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:20 am 

There really should be a thread solely for bad music that everyone can throw stuff into and discuss how bad it is.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:26 am 

No no no. No more terrible music. If you all want to get your ears raped by music, let it be good music?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:39 am 

Eh, one more for the road.

And a couple good ones to wash out the taste.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:46 am 

This one is so bad it's hilarious.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:58 am 

I'd love to contribute but unfortunately I don't know any bad music. Sorry.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:00 am 

This is so bad it's hilarious. As my friend JT said, they're playing in a fucking living room.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:03 am 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:

I want to have metal be separate from the other music, because there's something about metal that's 'different' than other music. Getting into metal only leads to more metal. All of the genre is kind of closed off from other music. There's hardly any noticeable influence with a metal band that doesn't come from other metal bands. That's not a bad thing, but it doesn't help when I want to be into more music than just metal.

Holy shit, are you ever not painfully wrong?

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:34 am 

Spoiler: show
shouvince wrote:
No no no. No more terrible music. If you all want to get your ears raped by music, let it be good music?

Yes. Yes. Yes. Much better. (Also, copying that quote finally let me see the code for embedding YouTube clips. Excellent.)

EDIT: placed the quoted clip in spoiler tags to save space.

And, yeah, ^whilst everyone's personal experience is different, etc, I must say that metal has often led me to appreciate other music, and vice versa; I don't see how metal only ever leads you to discover other metal.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:41 am 

^ I agree. I think metal is quite diverse in itself for one to not only discover other genres of music but also enjoy them. I started enjoying punk/crust/ska through metal bands who cited such genres as influences. Similarly with folk and ambient genres as well.

Haha, the 'youtube' embedding option is actually there on the dashboard :)

Anyway, this made for an interesting read. This was set in 1978.
"For 40 years, this russian family was cut off from all human contact unaware of world war II"
http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/history ... ld-war-ii/

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:12 am 

shouvince wrote:

That was pretty standard occult styled dm, kind of boring really apart from the solo. Why does that band get so much praise, the Pseudogod album from last year was more interesting than that tepid song with those weak frog fart vocals.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:14 am 

Beat these.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:52 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:

I promised I would not publicly mention Metantoine's secret invite-only waltz, polka and klezmer subforums hidden on this very board. I might break that promise soon.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:18 am 

Argh, too many embedded videos. Maybe this feature isn't that great in hindsight, considering that it takes a lot of space. Must be used sparingly I suppose or at least in spoiler tags.
Spoiler: show
Apologies for starting the chain with that Abyssal video

Veracs, to each their own I say. I think Abyssal is pretty badass. The vocals are pretty drowned-out-death metal style. I got no issues with it.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:23 am 

Napero wrote:
I promised I would not publicly mention Metantoine's secret invite-only waltz, polka and klezmer subforums hidden on this very board. I might break that promise soon.

Klezmer is so kvlt.
:panda:

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:20 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
metaldiscussor666 wrote:

I want to have metal be separate from the other music, because there's something about metal that's 'different' than other music. Getting into metal only leads to more metal. All of the genre is kind of closed off from other music. There's hardly any noticeable influence with a metal band that doesn't come from other metal bands. That's not a bad thing, but it doesn't help when I want to be into more music than just metal.

Holy shit, are you ever not painfully wrong?

Quoted for truth.

Veracs on Abyssal wrote:

On another note, FUCK Osmose and their copy protected cds. Assholes.

My collection

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:36 am 

Hail of Bullets is so awesome. That gloriously heavy and crushing sound of the guitars along with Martin's suffering, tearing vocal cords. Ah, fantastic stuff.

Edit: They have some cool melodically-infused songs too. 'Berlin' is great.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:43 am 

You guys are ass holes specially Subrick now I'm gonna have that damn In This Moment song stuck in my head all day. And for the record my buddy loves them he thinks they are one of the best bands out there right now. :durr:

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:09 am 

As for Veracs' Abyssal hate, I agree the debut is a messy riff salad, although I did a fair.few of the riffs, I prefer the Portal worship of the new one over it.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 778, 779, 780, 781, 782, 783, 784 ... 827  Next