Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:07 am 

If you say so, they weren't going for heaviness anyways, it was perfect for the atmospheric piece it was.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:10 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
doomster999 wrote:
My review for Pallbearer's Sorrow and Extinction which was in queue seems to be lost. :cry: The forum seems fine but the main site still ain't working for me.

I hope you gave it under 20%. Such an uninteresting and plodding album.

U mad? o_O It's doom perfection. So I've to give it a perfect score. I'm sure you don't listen to much doom. :tongue:
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:13 am 

I listen to doom more than any other sub-genre. It's not like I'm the only one who thought it was quite a shit album.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:14 am 

I don't think its perfect it could've done with clipping a few songs, and he's right it could've been slightly heavier, but they're a young band and they've gotten a lot of acclaim because of the album. They're only going to get better.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:22 am 

Pilgrim are a young band too and they released a kick ass and thouroughly DOOM first record.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

doomster999

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:26 am 

Veracs wrote:
I don't think its perfect it could've done with clipping a few songs, and he's right it could've been slightly heavier, but they're a young band and they've gotten a lot of acclaim because of the album. They're only going to get better.

To each his own you know. I think it has the perfect balance between heaviness and melody. And I don't think it's overly plodding, it's quite dynamic in some areas. Surely it kept that brooding atmosphere throughout and I like that in my doom.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

doomster999

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:31 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Pilgrim are a young band too and they released a kick ass and thouroughly DOOM first record.

I've heard Pilgrim. And the only thing comes to my mind is Isole crossed with Reverend Bizarre. Pallbearer are far more original, at least to me.

Last.fm

Last edited by doomster999 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:35 am 

Based on general experience, if someone with "doomster999" says a doom band is good and someone else says it isn't, I'd go with the latter. Not really meant as a slight on doomster himself, just on the nature of doom fans; who're probably up there with christian music and NSBM fans for "least demanding". If it's slow and heavy they love it, regardless of whether it's actually good or not.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:40 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
The forum is back! Now everything in the world is right again.....

Just joined the party but this downtime hasn't affected me that much considering that I've been laptop less since yesterday. I had given it for repair. But shows how much I want to be here if I'm typing all this painfully on my phone. Sigh.

doomster999

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:46 am 

caspian wrote:
Based on general experience, if someone with "doomster999" says a doom band is good and someone else says it isn't, I'd go with the latter. Not really meant as a slight on doomster himself, just on the nature of doom fans; who're probably up there with christian music and NSBM fans for "least demanding". If it's slow and heavy they love it, regardless of whether it's actually good or not.

I don't know what are you trying to say but if I say that 'this' particular band is good that doesn't mean it has to be good. Surely, there are people who'll differ in opinion. And I'm no one to say that they're wrong. I respect their opinion if they respect mine. It's mutual understanding.

Last.fm

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:26 am 

I actually listened to Pallbearer again the other day, so as to prepare myself for a planned, hatefully negative review, and for whatever reason I kinda liked it. Its over long and all, but it isn't bad, just a little boring. Probably worth a 60 or so. The amount of love it gets its still annoying, but I think its partially because of all the damn Profound Lore worship these days too.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:33 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I actually listened to Pallbearer again the other day, so as to prepare myself for a planned, hatefully negative review, and for whatever reason I kinda liked it. Its over long and all, but it isn't bad, just a little boring. Probably worth a 60 or so. The amount of love it gets its still annoying, but I think its partially because of all the damn Profound Lore worship these days too.

I thought it was a pretty neat album, "An Offering of Grief" is a great song. But I definitely did not get why it was so popular; it seemed to just kinda pop out of nowhere and I had no idea why people were making such a big deal out of it. It's not like Pagan Altar/Sleep worship hasn't been done before. But I guess the fact it was on Profound Lore offers an explanation of it's notoriety.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:41 am 

There is an unparrellelled level of worship for that label, itps quite odd. I do like the no specific genre and the experimental ideals of the label, but all the BM is that cascadian shit and they've put out like 4 non boring doom albums,

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:51 am 

I didn't mind the album so much to completely abhor it. But I guess all the hate that some of you are addressing is an externality and not so much about the music. If I'm not mistaken, this band has been featured in big magazines and that probably is the reason behind the surge of fanboyism for them. It's like the guys behind the desks of Hammer, Revolver, Rolling stone, whathaveyou are thinking..."Hmm let's promote the fuck out of a lesser known band, so that we stay relevant with the underground community". Anyway just my hypothesis.

doomster999

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:57 am 

If something like Sorrow and Extinction is being acclaimed for it's originality and balanced diversity, a certain amount of flak towards it is also quite understandable. Smartass expert opinion and negative criticism is quite a trend nowadays.

Last.fm

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:27 am 

Originality? Diversity?

doomster999

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:41 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Originality? Diversity?

What? You found none? That's ok.

Last.fm

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:06 am 

The site being down really highlights how often I use it - I had about ten bands to look up, over the course of yesterday.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:16 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Originality? Diversity?

x2 The greatest thing about Pallbearer is their artwork

Negative criticism was always a thing, dude. It's quite normal actually and it's not trendy.

Fortunately, I was at the univ most of the yesterday and it will be the same today! #metalarchivesaddiction #yolo

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

doomster999

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:41 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Negative criticism was always a thing, dude. It's quite normal actually and it's not trendy.

Honestly, I don't think it has always been a thing like it's today. If something is being well received nowadays, suddenly a certain amount of flak comes from nowhere to dampen the spirit. It was not like this 15 or 20 years ago.

Last.fm

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:43 am 

I will never, ever understand people who don't save their reviews on their hard drive. And/or write it online in that particular box as opposed to some text software. It's such a basic, screamingly obvious thing to do.

doomster999

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:59 am 

Azmodes wrote:
I will never, ever understand people who don't save their reviews on their hard drive. And/or write it online in that particular box as opposed to some text software. It's such a basic, screamingly obvious thing to do.

When I used to write reviews for my friend's site called My Metal Bin I saved them on MS Word as Wordpress supports pasting directly from Word. But since the site is awaiting renewal for a long time I don't write reviews quite frequently anymore. I don't think there's a similar feature here. Is there?

Last.fm

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:20 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
"Can I play with Mantiiisss!!"

..Maha. Haha. Muh haha...ha...ha...meha.... ha... .....ahhhh.....

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:29 am 

funny how people have different ways of dealing with things, I come from a family where everyone swears by using alcohol to treat every ailment, from colds an flu, to even alcoholism

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:02 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
CrushedRevelation wrote:
"Can I play with Mantiiisss!!"

..Maha. Haha. Muh haha...ha...ha...meha.... ha... .....ahhhh.....

The Evil that Mantis Do? :oh shit:

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:16 am 

Metantoine wrote:
The Evil that Mantis Do? :oh shit:

"The Mantis Who Would Be King."

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:20 am 

Mantis in the Rue Morgue?

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:33 am 

Quote:
It's like the guys behind the desks of Hammer, Revolver, Rolling stone, whathaveyou are thinking..."Hmm let's promote the fuck out of a lesser known band, so that we stay relevant with the underground community".

LOL @ any print publication doing this. Print publications do shit for money. If they aren't doing it for money, its because someone at the magazine is stanning hard for a particular act. IMO if you're gonna stan for a new band in 2013 Pallbearer is probably the best option.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:27 pm 

Off to see Chapel of Disease and Deathhammer tonight. The latter were meant to be playing yesterday, but apparently were too drunk to get their flight, perhaps slightly more predictable considering they're apparently notorious for it.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:56 pm 

Is anyone else having major lag issues loading the band pages on the site? It takes my browser like an extra minute per page since the site went down

Under_Starmere wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:14 pm 

New Manilla Road for 6 bucks on Amazon MP3? Unbeatable deal.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:22 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
New Manilla Road for 6 bucks on Amazon MP3? Unbeatable deal.

I guess I'm in the boat with people who think that buying MP3s is a bit laughable, even though I do suppose I support it since it's obviously more moral than stealing a band's music (which I don't do unless it's something that's out of print). I'm definitely going to check out more songs from the album before paying money for it though, since the one I heard was really, really poor.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:31 pm 

I don't really have much space for physical albums so I'm trying not to overload on them. I'm not really in a stable space right now and plan on moving around a lot in the next year, so it's easier for me to just get the MP3 albums instead sometimes - though every once in a while I still get a real CD which is always a treat.

It sounds fucking good so far by the way. And "The Grey God Passes" has grown on me every time I listened to it. This sounds pretty much like you'd expect an MR album to sound so far. Just hits all the boxes for a good, solid dose of MR and shows they have never forgotten their roots.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:14 pm 

Veracs wrote:
Is anyone else having major lag issues loading the band pages on the site? It takes my browser like an extra minute per page since the site went down

Yup. It takes an extra couple of clicks for the page to open. It'll take a while for everything to get back to running smoothly. In the mean time I shall munch on some chocopies!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:40 pm 

Why doesn't cola contain coke anymore? Because racism.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:49 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
When I used to write reviews for my friend's site called My Metal Bin I saved them on MS Word as Wordpress supports pasting directly from Word. But since the site is awaiting renewal for a long time I don't write reviews quite frequently anymore. I don't think there's a similar feature here. Is there?

What do you mean, "similar feature"? Copy-pasting text you wrote in a text editor on your computer? Not sure I follow. :scratch:

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:12 pm 

Coming in late to say Pallbearer sucks and when I saw them live it was the worst day of my life.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:47 pm 

I'm almost shocked to hear a few of you had bad experiences seeing Pallbearer. My band opened for them a while back and they were definitely awesome. Very loud, very heavy, everything sounded great. Cool dudes too; we all chilled after the show and drank beer and chatted about music.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:18 pm 

I've never listened to Pallbearer. I have a friend who swears up and down that they're as good as it gets, but I haven't bothered yet. Pilgrim on the other hand is definitely good.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Last edited by GuntherTheUndying on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:33 pm 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
Coming in late to say Pallbearer sucks and when I saw them live it was the worst day of my life.

Home-schooled and protected, I recon? Also, never had chickenpox?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 783, 784, 785, 786, 787, 788, 789 ... 827  Next