Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:40 pm 

Gluten-free stuff isn't that expensive, if she is willing to make her own bread and such. And I'm pretty sure a human being can survive on ratatouille alone.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:45 pm 

@BastardHead; if I were your friend, and it turned out that I developed a gluten allergy, then I'd start to eat meat. Period. Anythink that affects my health in such a severe way would be taken out of my diet to never be seen again, moral problems be damned. This is just me talkin' though, and I'm far from being a vegetarian, so I'm pretty sure I don't have a full grasp of the way she must be feeling.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:55 pm 

There are a butt ton of restaurants that offer gluten free meals out there, but as for gluten free and vegetarian I'm not quite sure. My cousin has chromes disease or what ever its called and she does alright with finding things to eat weather it be at the store or at a restaurant. But I will tell you this, its not just mild discomfort, its outright mind numbing and debilitating so there is no powering through it.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:59 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Mother fucking Planet AIDS you noobs.

<3

As for Ahab, Call of the Wretched Sea is a magnificent album, everything else isn't. Too proggy and mellow, Wretched was so great because it has those absolutely massive whale sized riffs popping up every three minutes to violently crush everything, definitely some of the more for the throat FD around.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:17 pm 

Napero wrote:
Gluten-free stuff isn't that expensive, if she is willing to make her own bread and such. And I'm pretty sure a human being can survive on ratatouille alone.

Yeah, if she has the time and means and will to cook for herself. Also, I would imagine stuff like lentils and beans and other legumes are pretty cheap in the US as well. Those things are very filling. Not as fast to cook as pasta or noodles to be sure. BH did mention that she's living on a meal plan though so if I understand how that works, she gets the food from a cafeteria or something like that so she might not have the option of gluten-free vegetarian stuff since often those special diets don't happen to overlap.

Fast_Kill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:18 pm 

I dont consider myself a vegetarian but, I am not currently eating meat. That said, I would at least try some vegetarian "gluten free diet", which, depending where you live, can be affordable. At least for a week, if it this would stop the stomach problems, then probably it would be time to go to a doctor and get exams. Being vegetarian or not eating certain food for moral reason is always something very personal and important, and, for what I've seen, the longer you get into it, the more "hardcore" you become. I dont see it as something bad, all though, if its starts fucking with your health ... well, then you gotta do whats right.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:01 pm 

New Pure X album coming in March! So excited

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:37 pm 

Most restaurants will ultimately offer gluten free items (pretty much every chain restaurant does) that can be tailored to tastes including vegetarian. I'd be shocked if a university in the US didn't offer numerous gluten free items as part of their meal plans. If you aren't offering that sort of thing, you're missing out potentially on millions of customers at this point.

Even if you're comparing the cost of preparing gluten free food to meat, unless you're eating really terrible processed meat, chances are you'll still come out ahead as a vegetarian financially. Rice and beans will always be cheaper than even the cheapest cuts of fresh meat.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:17 pm 

My friend Ahab told me the pope retired yesterday. I smiled at him fondly and took a bite of my granola bar.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:49 pm 

Regarding gluten: I prepared some self made seitan last weekend and I'm planning on make a delicious meal from it tomorrow. Pictures coming up in the cooking thread.

Seitan is mostly gluten and takes way too much time to make but it's an awesome food for vegetarians (who aren't allergic). I need to find a store that has the stuff.

And as opposed to the totally overrated soy stuff like tofu it's made from wheat flour which doesn't need to be shipped around half the world. Hail seitan! :hail:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:07 pm 

You know, I was talking through the phone with this guy I know, and the phone call eventually drifted into a casual conversation. Then he interrupts the topic we were discussing by saying "You know what would be a great idea? To kill all violent criminals who are currently in prison and feed them to the poor". I heartily laughed at his idea, and..... He seemed to be offended by that. I asked the dude if he was actually serious, to which he replied "of course, what makes you think otherwise?!"

The chat ended in a rather awkward note. I am almost sure the guy was kidding. Almost. I'm not close enough to him so as to be able to tell.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:24 pm 

hey guys, it's me. here's a new album. it's definitely the most "accessible" of my works. it's basically a tribute to Silent Hill composer Akira Yamaoka. It's very much like that. you should all listen - piano meets trip-hop meets ambient noise. something for everyone!

http://mapsofcrayon.bandcamp.com/

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:25 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
You know, I was talking through the phone with this guy I know, and the phone call eventually drifted into a casual conversation. Then he interrupts the topic we were discussing by saying "You know what would be a great idea? To kill all violent criminals who are currently in prison and feed them to the poor". I heartily laughed at his idea, and..... He seemed to be offended by that. I asked the dude if he was actually serious, to which he replied "of course, what makes you think otherwise?!"

The chat ended in a rather awkward note. I am almost sure the guy was kidding. Almost. I'm not close enough to him so as to be able to tell.

I know right. Human meat is pretty nasty, I doubt even the poor would want to eat it.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:30 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, I should thank the guy. That just gave me an idea for a nice short story. Whether or not I go through with it is an entirely different matter though :-P

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:40 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
hey guys, it's me. here's a new album. it's definitely the most "accessible" of my works. it's basically a tribute to Silent Hill composer Akira Yamaoka. It's very much like that. you should all listen - piano meets trip-hop meets ambient noise. something for everyone!

Not entirely related: but I noticed that you had a project called "Sunderland". What was your reasoning behind choosing this name? I find this incredibly amusing as Sunderland is one of the shittiest places in the UK.

Educate yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Sunderland

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:44 pm 

^ yeah, I Googled Sunderland and a bunch of football photos came up, and I assumed it was something of a city elsewhere. It's actually named after James Sunderland from Silent Hill 2, and started as a project devoted exclusively to topics like that - but then the drone songs started happening, and Dear Melinda didn't come out until now!

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:45 pm 

I haven't had any meat at all in the past 2 months, except for a few occasional chicken meals, haven't had any heartburn/ stomach pain problems that I used to get from most meat so I can't really say I miss it much, although it is quite tasty.
About to eat some meatless chili which is delicious and oddly doesn't give me heartburn or stomach pain. This awesome hot sauce goes great in the chili:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:48 pm 

SRIRACHA <3

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:56 pm 

^ yup

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:02 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

I dig it.
The song titles are nice.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:07 pm 

Napero wrote:

Yep. A lot of normal stuff is gluten free anyway, so you don't even have to go to special stores.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:36 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
SRIRACHA <3

QFT. B|

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:48 pm 

Sriracha rules. I really should pick some of that stuff up. I attempted making my own chili sauce but it wasn't nearly as good.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:52 pm 

Love throwing throwing Sriracha in pho. Freaking delicious.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:18 pm 

Three observations:

1) Deaf Centre by Owl Splinters (not owl city, thankfully) is a rather excellent ambient album that I recently found in my collection. It's quite unique, a lot of piano, a lot of drone, sure it's no Ravedeath1972 or whatever but it's still pretty damn good, I highly recommend it!

2) cold chicken kiev sliced up on toast with cheap lettuce+onion= the most susprisingly tasty I've probably ever had. Going to leave the house so I don't eat the rest of it <3

3) Perhaps the job boom is just happening in mining. There's pretty much nothing available in the town I'm living in right now. Luckily the missus is employed and uni starts soon :)

Thus concludes your boring caspian update.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:21 pm 

slayerhatesusall wrote:
This awesome hot sauce goes great in the chili

Delicious! A store I worked at carried that brand among others. Lee Kum Kee makes a good Sriracha sauce too.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:39 pm 

These are gluten free.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:58 am 

Decode these words to get the new Alice in Chains album title:

H V L E N T P S U S D A H I E E O E D T I U R R

Well, this is pretty much bonkers, but I think it'll be something with Heaven or Vultures, since the 'Hollow' artwork involves a weird two-headed crow or bird resembling the pentagram or something like that.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:05 am 

I think "Heaven" is going to be in the title, but something with "Vulture" in the name would be awesome.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:19 am 

The Hollow film clip is pretty cool as well. Probably will end up buying this at some point, as I quite liked Black Gives Way To Blue a lot.

My collection

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:22 am 

Alice In Chains are one of my favourite bands, and Hollow grew on me quickly. I can barely contain my excitement for the album.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:24 am 

Unlikely: Heaven's Perilous Truth Died

Less likely: Heaven's Three Dildo Pursuit

Anagram generator comedy option: Sir Tutu Heaven Dildo Herpes

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:31 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Less likely: Heaven's Three Dildo Pursuit

That's a classic! :boo:
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:59 am 

Ah, Sriracha sauce - the Thais know where it's at that's for sure. They're part of the Holy Spice Trinity too, along with Mexico and India.

Today I went for a school lunch because there was a ceremony for just over an hour then it was off to the coast for raw fish and booze. I have no idea what half of the stuff was that I ate but I do know that raw innards were involved. Christ, the guy across from me was going at this fish head, eyeballs and all. Then someone had the nerve to ask me if I was in this country because I like the food so much. I told him no I'm here so I can afford to go to Europe in June to watch King Diamond, Manilla Road, Candlemass, Amorphis and a bunch of others play live because I've never seen them live before. He replied with something like 'Yes it's very fresh good for power".

I guess I just don't see the purpose of eating fish eyes and fish parts that resemble uncooked circumcised baby penises. I don't care if it has protein in it or whatevs, it looks like shit and tastes like shit - culinary double-whammy right there. Call me bonkers but that's just the way it is.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:18 am 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
My friend Ahab told me the pope retired yesterday. I smiled at him fondly and took a bite of my granola bar.

That post just makes me crave for granola bars!

And woah, a puzzle for AiC fans? How very 'customer engagement through gamification'. Sorry been reading lots of marketing poop.
Failsafe, you got some good ones :)

My unlikely title: Lupus! He, A Dithered Investor.
Fuck, that was lame.

I'm excited about the new album though. BGWTB was highly enjoyable.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:44 am 

Just had some tortilla chips with Sriracha sauce, peanut butter, and chopped raw garlic cloves on top, it was quite tasty surprisingly. There isn't much that Sriracha sauce doesn't go good on.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:28 am 

doomster999 wrote:
H V L E N T P S U S D A H I E E O E D T I U R R

The Deep Haunted Vision
The Vultures Red Order
Heavens Red Vultures
The Hearts in Portals
Valentino Sushi Tit Dude

Keep on ending up with extra letters.

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:23 am 

Eh, Sriracha sauce is alright. It has a strange texture for chili sauce and compared to other Thai spices tastes different, but I can't think what since I have a headache. I must be used to spices used in soup and water-based dishes or something. But I guess it must be a white people delicacy. ;)

I just came across an odd occurrence for local shows. Turns out on the March 15 there's Ensiferum, Opeth/Katatonia and Grave, and I can't go to any of them since I have commitments with the university. I just can't catch a break for shows.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:43 am 

I fell in love with Blair's Death Sauce with Chipotle last week. A workmate had an unopened bottle he had to get rid of on the command of his wife... Which is strange. Wonderful stuff, I will need to try it on raw beef, and maybe season some strips of beef with it and dry them. Beer, dried beef and Napero will have a wonderful evening on a random Friday.

Sriracha is very good on a pizza, BTW.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:19 am 

I just read hells_unicorn's review of Dying Fetus' Purification Through Violence.
Sure, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but there's no need to shit on such a great album, one of my top 10 metal albums in my opinion.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 804, 805, 806, 807, 808, 809, 810 ... 827  Next