Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:44 pm 

I wouldn't call what that guy does "monkey dancing", Fast_Kill. I think it would be more precise to label it a "voluntary epileptic seizure".

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:46 pm 

That one may be gloriously bad, but THIS:

Flawless victory, or, in this case, incredibly-fucking-broken-at-everything-self-defeat.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:58 pm 

What.... they didn't have a guitarist?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:00 pm 

No guitarist with the smallest sense of self-respect would get even near those talentless fucks, Henk.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:03 pm 

LOL. I just realised what song they were covering. I didn't even hear it the first time.... I had to listen to the lyrics to figure it out.

EDIT Ok, so I just figured out it's a MEDLEY of different songs...... and here I thought they were just playing a absolutely horrible version of Metallica's One.

Last edited by henkkjelle on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:08 pm 

Highlights of the video for me are the first time they cut to the crowd of children completely not caring, the drummer's cymbal falling over, the kid in the blue shirt on the stage cossacking, and the wimpiest "...breakdown!..." shout ever.

Also, the one kid in the crowd near the end that throws up the horns and then immediately puts them down.

Fast_Kill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:47 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I wouldn't call what that guy does "monkey dancing", Fast_Kill. I think it would be more precise to label it a "voluntary epileptic seizure".

Yeah probably monkeys have better moves than those.

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:06 pm 

What was the point of bringing in stage dancers? Make it more br00tal for the kindergarten class?

And my post count is staying at 197 even though I keep posting... anyone know who I can talk to about that?

Edit: 198. Nevermind.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:40 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
No guitarist with the smallest sense of self-respect would get even near those talentless fucks, Henk.

Do you really need so much of an ego boost to dump on fourteen year-olds? Look, it was a terrible idea. But they're also not supposed to be accomplished musicians at their age. Sheesh.

The cut back to the kids, bored, was hilarious though.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:43 pm 

They got a Web Redemption on Tosh.0 a while back. Haven't actually seen it, though.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:46 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

Do you really need so much of an ego boost to dump on fourteen year-olds? Look, it was a terrible idea. But they're also not supposed to be accomplished musicians at their age. Sheesh.

There's a difference between being an accomplished musician and simply having common sense, because if you play like that yet insist in performing in front of a crowd, then you clearly lack the latter. Not to mention the fact that, from what little you can see, those guys don't look like fourteen year olds.

And in case anyone asks; no, I don't care that the crowd is comprised mostly of children. Children aren't idiots and also deserve quality entertainment.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:51 pm 

You expect fourteen year-olds to have high levels of common sense? Hm.

It smells fishy in here all of a sudden.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:52 pm 

Yeah, I just got here. Deal with it.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:54 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
And in case anyone asks; no, I don't care that the crowd is comprised mostly of children. Children aren't idiots and also deserve quality entertainment.

Tell that to pretty much everyone in entertainment today that isn't Lauren Faust, Studio B, or Pixar.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:54 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
You expect fourteen year-olds to have high levels of common sense? Hm.

It smells fishy in here all of a sudden.

Not high levels of common sense. Just, you know, the usual ones. Hell, I don't have high levels of common sense.
Subrick wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

Tell that to pretty much everyone in entertainment today that isn't Lauren Faust, Studio B, or Pixar.

Which is precisely one of the reasons I love Pixar so much. Not familiar with the other two though, or at least not by name.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:03 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:

There's a difference between being an accomplished musician and simply having common sense, because if you play like that yet insist in performing in front of a crowd, then you clearly lack the latter. Not to mention the fact that, from what little you can see, those guys don't look like fourteen year olds.

And in case anyone asks; no, I don't care that the crowd is comprised mostly of children. Children aren't idiots and also deserve quality entertainment.[/quote]

From the Tosh.0 video, I seem to remember them being around that age, they were pretty young. From what I remember, their guitarist left not long before they had to play or something, and they are the "metal club" at their school, hence all the dancers. I'm not defending it as being good or anything, it was pretty woeful, but as Disaster said, they are just kids.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:07 pm 

Fair enough. Still, that was a pretty embarrasing thing to watch/hear.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:13 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Which is precisely one of the reasons I love Pixar so much. Not familiar with the other two though, or at least not by name.

Lauren Faust is an animator who worked on The Iron Giant and was the main creative mind behind The Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and the new My Little Pony series (well, before she left the show at the end of the second season, that is), and Studio B is the new MLP's production studio.

Last edited by Subrick on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:15 pm 

If we're sharing really bad performances, I'll throw this one out there.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:17 pm 

This too.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:21 pm 

Dude, Subrick, stop. Not only should you be posting in the appropriate thread (which is lame in the first place) but I'm pretty sure you were JUST banned for spamming the FFA with stupid links constantly. It's incredibly annoying.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:23 pm 

Actually it was just one video one time.

In other news, that Iced Earth thread in the main discussion now has me listening to them again. Barlow was so damn good.

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:30 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Dude, Subrick, stop. Not only should you be posting in the appropriate thread (which is lame in the first place) but I'm pretty sure you were JUST banned for spamming the FFA with stupid links constantly. It's incredibly annoying.

I know you were talking to the other dude, but are we not supposed to post videos here? I'm new to this thread so forgive me if I should have posted it somewhere else.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:31 pm 

There's another thread dedicated to the kind of videos that were being posted in this thread, but the conversation spilled over into this thread from the other one.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:33 pm 

mcmufffins wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

I know you were talking to the other dude, but are we not supposed to post videos here? I'm new to this thread so forgive me if I should have posted it somewhere else.

Everything in moderation is fine. But spamming video links like, "yo dawg, check this shizzle out!1" gets annoying.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:35 pm 

Subrick wrote:
There's another thread dedicated to the kind of videos that were being posted in this thread, but the conversation spilled over into this thread from the other one.

Yeah, uh..... Guilty as charged. Sorry :(

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:37 pm 

Subrick wrote:

FasterDisaster wrote:
Everything in moderation is fine. But spamming video links like, "yo dawg, check this shizzle out!1" gets annoying.

Ah, word.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:35 pm 

I'm reading The Dark Tower series right now and I'm in love. I'm almost done with the third book and I'm pretty much hooked. I've heard it gets shitty near the end, but I'm going for the long haul.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Last edited by GuntherTheUndying on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:35 pm 

Blain is a pain.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:49 pm 

If you're hating on the kids playing awful cover songs in front of people when they were young, then I am 10000% sure you didn't sing/play an instrument at a young age. You do not care how well prepared you are, you just want to get out there and rock and that is that. I remember this one cover gig my band did when I was 13 at a Halloween party. The drummer chose our songs and burned them all on a CD for us, and none of us (including him) practiced or learned any of them. We got through about half of Crazy Train except I didn't know how the bassline for the bridge went so I just made it up and the guitarist didn't know the solos and instead of improvising he just stopped playing. The drummer was notoriously bad at fills so For Whom the Bell Tolls was a hilarious off-time mess because he went too long during each fill in the verses. We couldn't even finish Hell's Bells of all things because we just didn't learn it all. But you know what? We set up in that living room and we trainwrecked our way through. Because that's what you do when you just really, really want to rock.

We played one other time in front of people, it was in the guitarist's garage, using the drumset belonging to his brother's pop punk band, and we only played For Whom the Bell Tolls (because it was the only song we could do the whole way through without fucking up) and one two minute long original song with a wretched improvised bass solo (heavily inspired by Joey DeMaio, six years before I ever listened to Manowar) by yours truly leading into it. If there was video evidence of these performances, we'd be in that thread too. The point is that every single young kid does this, and when you're 11-15, you don't give a fuck how you sound, you don't care if you aren't as good as what you're trying to emulate, you're just incredibly enthusiastic and that is that. That Unholy Confessions cover is terrible, but it's not that far off from where my friends and I were.

Basically, all of us young musicians can relate. And if you can't, you simply weren't or aren't a musician.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:33 am 

I agree with Bastard, but then again, Decapitated.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:37 am 

Let's all stop talking about serious things and watch this man cook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mm_5Z__TjQ
Hehe, foreskins.

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:54 am 

BastardHead wrote:
If you're hating on the kids playing awful cover songs in front of people when they were young, then I am 10000% sure you didn't sing/play an instrument at a young age.

Hahah, I wasn't hating, I just thought they were funny. I'm a (shitty) musician, and I made several awful cover videos when I was 13-15. Like, really goddamned bad. I can relate to how the kids feel, but damn, it's still funny to watch.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:14 am 

The above. I started at 14 and for a good couple years I was fucking shit. The difference is I didn't jump into playing live or, worse, recording before I felt I was ready. I still have a few of the videos I made in my first two to three years of playing on my Youtube page and I cringe when I watch them.

Also, I tried tenor sax when I was 9. I pretty much instantly lost interest.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:52 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
doomster999 wrote:
Bolt Thrower and Suffocation are completely different bands. I don't understand how this kind of idiotic comparisons keep coming everyday, whether in my friends circle or on the internet. Are people that stupid? Honestly, I don't listen to Suffocation. I've only heard Breeding the Spawn once, that too a couple or more years back. Tech Death isn't really my cup of tea, though I occasionally listen to Nile and Obscura and I'm a big fan of Atheist. Atheist isn't much of a technical death band anyway. Still, my point is Bolt Thrower can't be compared to Suffocation or Benediction can't be compared to Nile.

Yee yoou can. People were comparing quality and nothing else, not comparing them as similar bands. Any bands can be ranked quality versus quality.

Let's compare Mastodon and Motley Crue. :-D
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:58 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Okay, guys, a dude just posted this video in the thread about bad covers, but really, I think you all should listen to it. It's..... Unreal.

I think this guy is either deaf or insane. There's no other explanation as to why, having a voice like that, he would even dare to front a band, let alone "sing" for a crowd.

OMFG, finally I've heard something even shittier than that "Run to the Hills" cover. :puke:
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:24 am 

The leader of Barrow Wight paid me a beer 'cause I added the band on MA, that's what we call success, right??????????

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:25 am 

BastardHead wrote:
If you're hating on the kids playing awful cover songs in front of people when they were young, then I am 10000% sure you didn't sing/play an instrument at a young age. You do not care how well prepared you are, you just want to get out there and rock and that is that. *trainwreck #1* Because that's what you do when you just really, really want to rock.

*trainwreck #2* The point is that every single young kid does this, and when you're 11-15, you don't give a fuck how you sound, you don't care if you aren't as good as what you're trying to emulate, you're just incredibly enthusiastic and that is that. That Unholy Confessions cover is terrible, but it's not that far off from where my friends and I were.

Basically, all of us young musicians can relate. And if you can't, you simply weren't or aren't a musician.

Actually, I and my friends weren't. We played in elementary school music classes and we liked it, but we didn't really have much enthusiasm to go out and play in front of crowds. We did it a few times and while we had no clue as to how we would sound - no soundchecks or anything like that, probably the drums were way too loud - we did practice the songs meticulously until we had them down, before we performed them on stage. Also, we never wanted to perform on stage, just forced to do it due to being part of the class. Just saying that generalizations aren't always 100%.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:34 am 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
I'm reading The Dark Tower series right now and I'm in love. I'm almost done with the third book and I'm pretty much hooked. I've heard it gets shitty near the end, but I'm going for the long haul.

The third book was my favorite by far; there was really just this creeping sense of dread and mystery that never got emulated as well during the rest of the series (which was still excellent.) The entire ending itself isn't necessarily shitty as much as how a certain plot point near the end is resolved, at least in my view.

I actually haven't even read the Wind Through the Keyhole yet...I felt at first like jumping back into the world knowing how everything ends wouldn't hold much appeal but it's hard to stay away from something with that level of worldbuilding. May put it next on the reading list.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:08 am 

Metantoine wrote:
The leader of Barrow Wight paid me a beer 'cause I added the band on MA, that's what we call success, right??????????

If it was a good beer, yes. If it wasn't, still applicable.

If he paid you a bear, then a review of no less than 89% would probably return the favor to equal standing.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 808, 809, 810, 811, 812, 813, 814 ... 827  Next