Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:52 am 

bloodycumshit wrote:
on a different subject, is Norwegian television really going to play a fire place burning for 12 hours o_O

You've never seen Canadian television during Christmas time, have you? Our local station always switches to footage of burning logs in a fireplace. If you're really bored, after a long time you'll eventually hear or maybe even see the arm of the man who stokes the fire. It's things like this that make people coming up from Vancouver to our humble city of ~80,000 call us a bunch of backwater hicks! :-D

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:17 am 

LlamaTrainer wrote:
bloodycumshit wrote:
on a different subject, is Norwegian television really going to play a fire place burning for 12 hours o_O

You've never seen Canadian television during Christmas time, have you? Our local station always switches to footage of burning logs in a fireplace. If you're really bored, after a long time you'll eventually hear or maybe even see the arm of the man who stokes the fire. It's things like this that make people coming up from Vancouver to our humble city of ~80,000 call us a bunch of backwater hicks! :-D

That's like the fucking weirdest bizarre shit ever, though i suppose you could put the heater next to the tv and pretend you have a nice cozy fire place on Christmas

Someone told me they have a channel for dogs in america, but things like that in america don't surprise me.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:46 am 

anyone else heard the Empty 7" by Neurosis? Obv. I downloaded it as I imagine buying it is impossible, but damn, it's good. Definitely their first step into the weird sludge/tribal beasts they'd become. Might even shit out a review on it pretty soon :)

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:21 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Scorntyrant wrote:
In the last week-and-a-bit I've seen Dead can Dance, Swans, Godspeed you! black emperor, My bloody valentine and Einsturzende Neubauten. In a heatwave. In Australia.

Crap. I forgot about GY!BE. And I don't really know where to look to see when DCD are playing.

too late now. They have been announcing the dates on their world tour since the new album came out nearly a year ago - I had my tickets since September last year. Not a massive fan of GY!BE, so happy to have caught them and MBV at ATP. Saw Swans on Friday night, and again in a very hungover and pissed off state in the crushing heat at ATP. Catching Neubauten again tomorrow night.

I get all my gig notifications through having the Australian ticketing agencies on my facebook feed. Plus reading forums and looking at the streetpress when we take a break at band practice. It's not that hard to keep on top of.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:25 am 

shouvince wrote:
Have you tried some tunneling websites?

Actually I have an add-on for that but it regularly stops working because of Youtube updates. Well, tunneling website it is then. I hate having to use those.

Love the video! Love the fact that there's actually something noteworthy happening besides the band performing and that the cuts aren't completely epileptic and smothered with unnecessary effects. Yes that's a virtue nowadays.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:43 am 

Yeah I suppose it isn't too hard. I'm not Melbournian so I don't get the street post thing, but I am a bit too passive when looking out for bands coming through. Basically someone I'm facebook friends with has to be excited enough about it to post about it, or I miss it haha.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:08 am 

ghengis, why don't you just use the last.fm events?
http://www.last.fm/events/+place/Austra ... ?showAll=1 (or for whichever city that you reside in)

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:24 am 

Three day weekends are the best weekends.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:27 am 

I have the week off for Reading Week.
Hehe, foreskins.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:12 am 

caspian wrote:
anyone else heard the Empty 7" by Neurosis? Obv. I downloaded it as I imagine buying it is impossible, but damn, it's good. Definitely their first step into the weird sludge/tribal beasts they'd become. Might even shit out a review on it pretty soon :)

Damn man, it's pretty hard for me to imagine a realistic genre tag that would put me off a metal band more than that. Even if I didn't know a thing about Neurosis, my exit would be so speedy I would have already left failsafeman-shaped hole in the wall.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:30 am 

failsafeman wrote:
caspian wrote:

Damn man, it's pretty hard for me to imagine a realistic genre tag that would put me off a metal band more than that. Even if I didn't know a thing about Neurosis, my exit would be so speedy I would have already left failsafeman-shaped hole in the wall.

Come on, it's not something repugnant like djentstep. Of course, your definition of realistic might not be exactly the same as mine.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:33 am 

So the reviews on here aren't exactly glowing but I was really surprised just how bad Accept's "Eat the Heat" is. I consider "Russian Roulette" part of their golden era and I'm not one of those Udo=Accept fans since I absolutely love "Stalingrad" (still need to get the one before that) so I was really disappointed here. Lukewarm and oh so dull. The guitar is pushed back so damn far to make room for those absurdly cheesy drums.

Oh well, I paid $1.60 for it, I'm sure I can hock it for more. I still have the 90's albums and pre-"Restless" material to explore, hopefully more interesting results will be yielded.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:01 pm 

I really want to join this gang
Spoiler: show

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:11 pm 

Damn. On the same train of thought, when was the last decent-watchable musical which had tons of dance scenes?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:14 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Damn. On the same train of thought, when was the last decent-watchable musical which had tons of dance scenes?

Chicago. And it was fucking glorious.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:31 pm 

Crick wrote:
Let's all stop talking about serious things and watch this man cook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mm_5Z__TjQ

Seeing how large quantities of food are wasted just like that honestly makes me cringe... :ugh:

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:01 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Crick wrote:
Let's all stop talking about serious things and watch this man cook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mm_5Z__TjQ

Seeing how large quantities of food are wasted just like that honestly makes me cringe... :ugh:

And yet in some way its the blatant disregard that makes it so great. Its like art, man. It offends on such a ridiculous level that it becomes intriguing to watch.
Hehe, foreskins.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:10 pm 

I understand that, and yet I have doubts that it's worth it.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:29 pm 

caspian wrote:

Early Neurosis is really cool. I'm not the biggest fan of Word as Law, but Pain of Mind is an awesome hardcore album. I do really like that Empty release, the Joy Division cover is really interesting. The other song really reminds me of Black Flag.

So my university had one of those Harlem shake things, but the video had to be taken down because someone dressed up as a gorilla with a giant swastika on their chest.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:51 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
So my university had one of those Harlem shake things, but the video had to be taken down because someone dressed up as a gorilla with a giant swastika on their chest.

Nazi Kong?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:03 pm 

Congrats to Xlxlx!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:14 pm 

Guess I have far too much free time during summer vacation.....

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:24 pm 

So that's what the mod's dashboard looks like.
*beard scratch*

Xlxlx, are you on a secret quest to dethrone Empy as top poster on the boards? :)

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:28 pm 

:lol:

No, I just really like to comment on stuff. Incidentally, that isn't as good a trait as I'd like. I'm better than when I started though, or at least that's what I think, considering I haven't been banned to date, and only got one warning (which was admittedly deserved for making a very out of place comment).

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:45 pm 

Well, one really has to be a douchebag to get banned from the boards. The rules are so simple, which leaves me to believe what kind of cretinous ingrates would use this website and then post untoward shit to incite the mods. I guess it comes down to egos.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:34 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Well, one really has to be a douchebag to get banned from the boards. The rules are so simple, which leaves me to believe what kind of cretinous ingrates would use this website and then post untoward shit to incite the mods. I guess it comes down to egos.

There aren't even rules written anywhere, if you're a civilized person and act like it you're allowed to stay. The only thing written anywhere that I ever cite is the description of the promotional forum, which a lot of people seem to miss.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:34 pm 

Ah yeah, you know what I mean...the unwritten rules of don't-spam-don't-be-a-prick-etc.

In other news, (this seemed a tad trivial for the TV thread) the Mortal Kombat Legacy series returns for its second season. It's being made by the folks at Machinima. I watched most of the season 1 and found it quite enjoyable since I've been a fan of the original movie series.

Here's the trailer for S2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... l3jrR5XMSU

Last edited by shouvince on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:42 pm 

The casting could've been better, and Mileena looks faaaaaaaaaar too pretty, but beyond that, it looks decent. I might even watch a couple of episodes to see what's what.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:54 pm 

Oh, I remember the days when Xl found a girlfriend/date/hostage/whatever and vanished for a period of time. He then received trace amounts of nuts and has stayed ever since clogging the board with posts like cholesterol clogs a heart. And for that we love like tolerate him.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:58 pm 

I love you too, Wayward.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:10 pm 

I'm surprised someone noticed me enough to generate any type of feeling. You could say I tend to fall by the Way(ward)side~!

*rimshot*
Spoiler: show

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:41 pm 

Eh, 7.50/day only seems like a lot because of how small these boards are. I've seen 1.5k a week or more on some other boards.

last.fm

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:45 pm 

Talk about an odd pairing that works great together. I have been listening to this hardcore band called Pulling teeth lately, and besides kicking my ass with their take on hc/metal, I came across this bizarre live album where they are the backing band for Thor (Can) playing some of his older metal/rock stuff. I have to say it is quite interesting to hear.

Listen to the whole thing here:
http://a389recordings.bandcamp.com/album/a389-093-thors-teeth-sonar-01082010-12

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:12 pm 

TheOldOne wrote:
Eh, 7.50/day only seems like a lot because of how small these boards are. I've seen 1.5k a week or more on some other boards.

On what boards have you seen that? The ones for obsessive, isolated psychos?! o_O

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:13 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
TheOldOne wrote:

On what boards have you seen that? The ones for obsessive, isolated psychos?! o_O

Around 214 a day? Jesus Christ, you sure it ain't just some motherfucker spamming "YOLO" in every thread?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:16 pm 

Yeah, it's not as much as other boards I checked, but for MA, it's a lot.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/membe ... osts&pp=30

100,000 posts? OK :ugh:

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:23 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

"ixcuincle - 09-19-2008 - 100,190"

and I thought I had no life

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:24 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

Over the course of 11 years, that's an average of 24 a day. Not that bad. Not as bad as 214 at least.

Edit: dude below him had just as many and joined in 2008.
Edit 2: That's 53 a day. Maybe someone gets in too many arguments about steroid debacles, fist fights, or cheating. Or whether hockey is a sport at all.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:30 pm 

Yeah, I was more showing the 2008 dude. Since when hockey isn't a sport? Go back to your beloved baseball, Murcan!

/me is watching the Habs game

I also remember another forum Empyreal is using, he had a lot of posts, can't find the website though.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:33 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Since when hockey isn't a sport? Go back to your beloved baseball, Murcan!

Carlin logic: Hockey isn't a sport, it's three activities done at once: ice skating, playing with a puck, and beating the shit out of someone. If these guys were intelligent at all, they'd do them one at a time. :-P

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 810, 811, 812, 813, 814, 815, 816 ... 827  Next