Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:59 pm 

iAm wrote:
shouvince wrote:
Huh? I never saw any of those white-supremacist elements.

As if confederate flag merchandise isn't enough...

Ah well, that is there. But I was referring to something more extreme. Anyway, don't give a shit about that. Whew, lots of Pantera talk.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:13 am 

I'm glad Phil got his shit together and joined a band that was actually good (not that the puple EP was great). He seems like a genuinly cool human being nowadays.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:21 am 

OpsiusCato wrote:
Sometimes, while moderating the band queue, I stumble upon bands that make me want to kill myself, just for how bad they are. Funnily enough, this time the band that achieved it plays DSBM.

what band was it? i like dick sucking black metal that all sounds the same

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:34 am 

Apparently Eyes of Noctum broke up. Sadness, as they were pretty damn good.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:07 am 

Rhapsody is great, they wrote the most epic song ever (by volume).

Pantera is great, yeah Walk is shit but nobody with half decent taste will deny that, especially when they wrote a ton of other genuinely awesome shit.

This is the official word.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:24 am 

PENIS! EERIE! MINION!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:46 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Rhapsody is great.

:gay:

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:50 am 

Fucking hell, my university did a Harlem Shake video. Im out.
Hehe, foreskins.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:33 am 

Pantera... I have no interest whatsoever in their style of brütal thrash/groove metal or whatever it's called what they do. Way overrated band. They are like everything Metallica did wrong in the 90s, only worse.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:21 am 

Crick wrote:
Fucking hell, my university did a Harlem Shake video. Im out.

Guys at work did one. One of the dude's gets naked. It's certainly different.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:48 am 

Here's pretty much what all the sane people think about the harlem shake. Courtesy Explosm.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:13 am 

Still better than Gangnam Style parodies by miles. They spare me horrid parody lyrics and shitty knock-off covers of the music.
Hehe, foreskins.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:39 am 

Well yeah, just 30 odd seconds of the Harlem Shake versus that disgustingly popular song where everyone joins in to sing the only part they know which is "Haaaay, Sexaay Laaaydey". Definitely better in that sense. But still irksome.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:44 am 

Most people like Gangnam Style because its got a LOLWEIRD video (Asian culture sure is crraaaaaazzzyyy!)

They don't realize that it's meant to be a parody.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:04 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Rhapsody is great, they wrote the most epic song ever (by volume).

Pantera is great, yeah Walk is shit but nobody with half decent taste will deny that, especially when they wrote a ton of other genuinely awesome shit.

This is the official word.

Rhapsody is great. [2] Call me or the band gay, like a give a shit. :finger:

Never been much of a Pantera fan. In fact I've bashed them on several occasions in past. But they've written some really good songs like Cemetery Gates, The Sleep, Floods, Hollow, they had this kind of melodic sludge thing in some of their compositions which works for me, but on the other hand they've written tons of god-awful proto-nu-metalcore type of shit like Walk, 5 Minutes Alone as mentioned previously. On the contrary Down is a much better band and I like most of their materials. Anselmo may have been a douche but he's a better person now. Moreover, the man has got great taste in Metal and music in general.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:39 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I'm glad Phil got his shit together and joined a band that was actually good (not that the puple EP was great). He seems like a genuinly cool human being nowadays.

Well, you know what I think about Pantera being bad, but yeah, Down's cool. I'm also yet to listen to the new EP thoroughly, now that I think about. I remember hearing it, and not being very impressed. As for Anselmo..... Yeah, guy's quite decent nowadays. He's been pretty mellow since Dimebag died.
BastardHead wrote:

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:58 am 

Pantera up through CFH rules and a lot of the other stuff they wrote also rules, barring the obvious offenders. I heard Reinventing the Steel the other day after not hearing it for years and years and was surprised at how much I thought of it, great record... some might even say it's goddamn electric.

Also, insinuating that anything that sports the confederate flag must be racist or has ties to white supremacy is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

OceanOfViolence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:54 am 

shouvince wrote:

:lol:

My university just made a video of their own Harlem Shake, in the college of business of all places... As I said on Facebook, this looks like the MDF Party Brigade minus a goregrind band playing.

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:01 am 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
insinuating that anything that sports the confederate flag must be racist or has ties to white supremacy is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

This is probably just a coincidence, but, being from the American south, I can say that everyone I've come across who sports a confederate flag also has a "Damn niggers!" attitude.

And are apparently open about it for no apparent reason when around other white people... :|

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:18 am 

Well, idiots like to think that everyone else is also an idiot, so there's that.

On an unrelated note, I really like this little article on the subject of arachnophobia. Sure, the guy is biased, but he does raise many a valid point. If anything, people should be more wary of clowns. Fuckin' uncanny valley inhabitants.....

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:55 pm 

Quite a cool article, X. When it comes to spiders, I border between mild arachnophilia and indifference...I think I've said that way too many times here. Anyway, one of those images towards the end reminded of this post inhumanist made sometime back :)

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:07 pm 

This is probably just a coincidence, but, being from the American south, I can say that everyone I've come across who sports a confederate flag also has a "Damn niggers!" attitude.

:nods:

Even in fucking California.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:26 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Quite a cool article, X. When it comes to spiders, I border between mild arachnophilia and indifference...I think I've said that way too many times here. Anyway, one of those images towards the end reminded of this post inhumanist made sometime back :)

Ah yes! The wuddly widdle jumpin' spider! :-D

And really, since I've been reading that guy's page, my respect for arthropods in general has grown a lot. I already liked them quite a bit, but they go from interesting to endearing/totally badass once you seriously learn more about them. They (along with many sea creatures) are the closest thing to aliens we'll ever get to see, and I think that deserves some appreciation.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:31 pm 

VoidApostle wrote:
This is probably just a coincidence, but, being from the American south..

Given the choice they probably wouldn't be there.

or in Haiti
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_Revolution

ever wondered why Haiti is so poor today?

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:27 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I fully support your Rhapsody hate, iAm. Dreadful band...

I don't love you anymore, dude.

Also, insinuating that anything that sports the confederate flag must be racist or has ties to white supremacy is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Hooray for Dixie!
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:32 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
On an unrelated note, I really like this little article on the subject of arachnophobia. Sure, the guy is biased, but he does raise many a valid point. If anything, people should be more wary of clowns. Fuckin' uncanny valley inhabitants.....

Hehe... the end is good.

Never been afraid of spiders or living things in general (that are not likely to kill me). Am however quite necrophobic for some reason. It's gotten better with growing up though.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:29 pm 

I love Rhapsody. It should be interesting to hear what Staropoli and Lione's group write.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:30 pm 

It's the exact same time as the other band.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:57 pm 

VoidApostle wrote:
insinuating that anything that sports the confederate flag must be racist or has ties to white supremacy is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Dude, I'm from Georgia, there are plenty of people who are proud to be from the south who aren't racists or white supremacists.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:35 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

If somebody can point me to a song more over the top, with more bombast and epicism, in a shorter or at least comparable amount of time, I'll rescind that statement. Until then, y'all be trippin'.

And because I'm a vehement Pantera defender, I maintain that bringing up how much they suck but only mentioning obvious songs like "Walk" or "Five Minutes Alone" is like saying Metallica's whole career is shit because of "Sad But True" and "Until it Sleeps". Suck it up and listen to some other shit or shut the fuck up. If you don't like it, then fair enough, I totally understand, but if you can't understand or acknowledge that "Walk" is an anomaly in their career then you can keep your trap shut regarding their entire career. For real.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:52 pm 

I also love Rhapsody. Reign Of Terror is one of my favorite songs ever.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:01 pm 

I think the burden of proof falls on the Pantera fans and not the rest of us in this case. Sure they have a few good songs here and there (maybe 3 or 4 per CD) but on the whole they just kinda suck.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:02 pm 

Dude, I'm from Georgia, there are plenty of people who are proud to be from the south who aren't racists or white supremacists.

Jackson, MS checking in here to agree with this statement.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:10 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Sure they have a few good songs here and there (maybe 3 or 4 per CD) but on the whole they just kinda suck.

The first half of the sentence validates the second half, it's just unfortunate that a lot of vocal detractors seem to just stick with the second half of it.

EDIT: I should clarify. The fact that you say there are a handful of good songs scattered about isn't what makes your opinion valid, it's the fact that you at least acknowledge that they don't always sound the same as that one crappy song that most fans don't even like.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:52 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Sure they have a few good songs here and there (maybe 3 or 4 per CD) but on the whole they just kinda suck.

The first half of the sentence validates the second half, it's just unfortunate that a lot of vocal detractors seem to just stick with the second half of it.

EDIT: I should clarify. The fact that you say there are a handful of good songs scattered about isn't what makes your opinion valid, it's the fact that you at least acknowledge that they don't always sound the same as that one crappy song that most fans don't even like.
Nobody can genuinely dislike every last bit of what they've ever done?

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:57 pm 

Pantera post their rightfully-deleted-era were pretty cool for the most part. A good way to tell if someone's a lame, feels/pseudo-intellectual metalhead is by their opinion on post-power metal Pantera (do you prefer Agalloch? Opeth? :gay: :ah-ha: ). VDoP should have a lot wrong with it, but Phil's so charismatic and the guitar riffs just constantly work. To the haterz I would say: walk on home boy.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Last edited by caspian on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:58 pm 

Like I said, it's probably just a coincidence.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:59 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:

That's what the edit was supposed to clear up, because I realized it came off like that. Of course, that's a perfectly valid possibility and opinion, I'm just mainly expressing my frustration with people saying they suck and then going on about how shitty "Walk" is. It's like, goddammit I know "Walk" sucks, what else do you not like?

It's similar to the whole "every Motorhead song sounds the same" thing. I don't know why people are content to hear "Ace of Spades" and "Iron Fist" and then figure they've got the gist of the band. It's the same thing with taking "Walk" and "Five Minutes Alone" from Pantera and totally ignoring the completely different songs from the same albums. Just something that irritates me when trashing the band.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:59 pm 

In unrelated news, really enjoying Morgion's relapse collection. Among Majestic Ruin kills pretty hard, gotta say. Oh, and I enjoy Walk! It's probably the only song of it's ilk (cheesy tough guy stuff, arguably a nu-metal predecessor) that I really enjoy. But I really enjoy it.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:05 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

That's what the edit was supposed to clear up, because I realized it came off like that. Of course, that's a perfectly valid possibility and opinion, I'm just mainly expressing my frustration with people saying they suck and then going on about how shitty "Walk" is. It's like, goddammit I know "Walk" sucks, what else do you not like?

It's similar to the whole "every Motorhead song sounds the same" thing. I don't know why people are content to hear "Ace of Spades" and "Iron Fist" and then figure they've got the gist of the band. It's the same thing with taking "Walk" and "Five Minutes Alone" from Pantera and totally ignoring the completely different songs from the same albums. Just something that irritates me when trashing the band.

Yeah, ok. I guess I didn't read that too well.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 813, 814, 815, 816, 817, 818, 819 ... 827  Next