Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:22 am 

Calusari wrote:
By the way, has anyone ever ordered from Solitude Productions (doom label host to Ea, Abstract Spirit, Funeral)? I'm considering getting quite a bit from them, but no one I know has ever encountered them before.

I've ordered from them several times and it's always been reliable. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:25 am 

Awesome, cheers for the speedy and useful reply! :)

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:26 am 

Calusari wrote:

No worries, my friend. Actually, I should check out their site again. Could use some more doom in my life....

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:30 am 

Calusari wrote:
Bah, damn living at the arse-end of the world; even with the discounts at 20 Buck Spin, the shipping still makes the CDs I was looking at more expensive than they'd be from other places. Thanks for the heads up, though; news of music sales is always appreciated!

I've had my fair share of this. Nuclear War Now! is having a discount sale and with the things I want to get the shipping price outweighs the price of the actual items. It's the same reason I don't order much from Hells Headbangers. That's why I wait for local distros to stock items. It'll cost heaps but at least it doesn't charge through the roof on shipping.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:33 am 

Yep; Metal Massacre is good that way - free shipping in Oz; though if they're not having a sale their products are pretty overpriced. Have you checked out WOWHD, by the way? Free worldwide shipping if your order's over $60; they have a tonne of metal (use the search function, the sales catalogues are useless).

MikeyC wrote:
Calusari wrote:

No worries, my friend. Actually, I should check out their site again. Could use some more doom in my life....

Yeah, they have such an incredible range; I had no idea that so many of my favourite doom bands were all with the same label. They even stock Lordamor, which a few people I know have been raving about but is otherwise impossible to find. Glad to hear they're reliable!

Their bandcamp site has a few free compilations for download, helped me find some new interesting bands.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:37 am 

Calusari wrote:
Yeah, they have such an incredible range; I had no idea that so many of my favourite doom bands were all with the same label. They even stock Lordamor, which a few people I know have been raving about but is otherwise impossible to find. Glad to hear they're reliable!

Their bandcamp site has a few free compilations for download, helped me find some new interesting bands.

Same. Ea, Comatose Vigil, Abstract Spirit, and so on. They've got a good range. They've also got the latest The Howling Void album. Interesting!

I'll be back in Melbourne in just over a week, so I'll obviously be going back to Realm of Kaos and hopefully the others for more money-guzzling shopping. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:47 am 

Good to hear! I need to get to those places myself; the only store I checked out in the last few weeks was Missing Link, quite happy with Portal's 'Outré' for $15. That is, if I ever have money again after looking through Solitude Production's site... oh, my, I keep seeing nice things. I may have to sell a few organs.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:50 am 

Calusari wrote:
Good to hear! I need to get to those places myself; the only store I checked out in the last few weeks was Missing Link, quite happy with Portal's 'Outré' for $15. That is, if I ever have money again after looking through Solitude Production's site... oh, my, I keep seeing nice things. I may have to sell a few organs.

You don't need both kidneys, right? ;)

That's a good pick-up. I hope to have a fruitful time looking through those stores, too. The guy at Realm of Kaos remembers me so I have to buy at least one thing, haha.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:01 am 

Haha, that's how he gets you! This is his much-feared strategy for getting customers. :lol: Seriously, he's a lovely guy, but his niceness (and ridiculous memory) is his secret weapon; I know people who've pretended they moved interstate just to have an excuse for not going there anymore. The whole business pretty much survives on sympathy. Though they do have some rarities...

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:06 am 

I can understand that! He is definitely a lovely guy, but I try to pretend I'm always looking at something, even though I'm constantly caught in his web. :lol:

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:02 am 

Just watched the Saxon movie. I'm now intending to start a Saxon marathon from the Saxon album right through to Call to Arms.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:29 am 

Crick wrote:
Meanwhile I sit here on my ass with a bag of chocolates, not having gained a pound in years.

I'm the same. No matter what I drink or eat, and no matter how little I exercise, I don't gain weight.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 am 

MikeyC wrote:

I'll be back in Melbourne in just over a week, so I'll obviously be going back to Realm of Kaos and hopefully the others for more money-guzzling shopping. :)

Seriously, dont go to ROK. About a hundred metres back towards the markets on the same street is Heartland records. Much better shop, much more reasonable prices.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:49 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Crick wrote:
Meanwhile I sit here on my ass with a bag of chocolates, not having gained a pound in years.

I'm the same. No matter what I drink or eat, and no matter how little I exercise, I don't gain weight.

Same here. I love being able to eat what I want but people with fast metabolisms die earlier. That's the price we have to pay :|

Damn now I'm hungry...
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:58 am 

I suppose we're no more resistant to heart diseases and such than others, and since weight doesn't make us watch our eating, we simply eat more crappy foods.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:28 am 

that's what we all think till we hit 30

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:53 pm 

Assisted someone named Quo Vadis. Don't know why I think that is cool but I think it is. :np:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:09 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I suppose we're no more resistant to heart diseases and such than others, and since weight doesn't make us watch our eating, we simply eat more crappy foods.

Another insanely-fast-metabolite here; I eat fairly healthy and people always ask "Why don't you just eat more junk food if you don't gain weight?!" But I still feel bloated and tired if I'm eating garbage all the time, even if it doesn't translate to additional pounds.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:18 pm 

Apparently My Bloody Valentine are set to release a new album before the year is up? Color me surprised, and excited. Loveless will always be a classic.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:26 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Another insanely-fast-metabolite here; I eat fairly healthy and people always ask "Why don't you just eat more junk food if you don't gain weight?!" But I still feel bloated and tired if I'm eating garbage all the time, even if it doesn't translate to additional pounds.

The only junk food I like is gummy candy, generally. Im nuts for gummy candy and sour gummy candy. Other than that, Im not really a huge fan of junk food. Im a sucker for apple pie, but thats a "once every three months" thing.
Hehe, foreskins.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:30 pm 

Oh man, sour gummy candy is like the bane of my existence. I'll eat that stuff until my tastebuds are completely devastated.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:30 pm 

Fun fact: that's actually a corruption of "Gummi", the German word for rubber. And yeah, they're nuts for them over there. When I first arrived in Berlin I was presented with a huge jar (seriously, it was halfway to vase-hood) full of Gummibärchen.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:40 pm 

This snow storm is intense. Tried to go out and take the bus but no dice. Didn't show up for an hour and another one was very much stuck in a snow bank. Sorry HellBlazer :p

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:47 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
This snow storm is intense. Tried to go out and take the bus but no dice. Didn't show up for an hour and another one was very much stuck in a snow bank. Sorry HellBlazer :p

Told ya!!!!!!! I opened the door to check the weather and I said "fuck it".

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:49 pm 

Necro, how far are you from the metro? If it's not a walking distance, you're excused. (Though come on, posting in the FFA instead of calling...? :P)

Tony is still a giant pussy though. :p

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:54 pm 

A 30 minute ride or so on a regular snowy day. I lost the number and my brother sprinted to the computer as soon as I went outside!

Last edited by Necroticism174 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:55 pm 

30 minute bus ride? Ouch. Ok. :(

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:55 pm 

Hey, get back in the chat.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:02 pm 

Kingston is only a couple hours from Montreal so I feel your pain. Took me a hell of a lot longer to shovel than I would have cared for. Some jackass pointed his snowblower towards my driveway and that stuff can be like concrete. Also had to help a few folks, who forgot to get some decent tires, push their cars. People don't learn :durr:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:49 pm 

With my shoveling I did the slope up the driveway, a walkway from the edge of the stairs to the end of the driveway, and the parking space we usually put the Jeep. When you have four wheel drive, it really isn't worth spending 5 hours shoveling slushy snow off the entire square of the driveway.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:24 pm 

Scorntyrant wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Seriously, dont go to ROK. About a hundred metres back towards the markets on the same street is Heartland records. Much better shop, much more reasonable prices.

I went to Heartland Records last time (thanks to Calusari for telling me of its existence!), and I agree that the prices are better, but there's less variety. I would like to go to both, though.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:08 pm 

Man, I can't even remember the last time I smoked resin. Fuck being broke.

Thanks for locking that homosexuality thread Napero. I was afraid to enter that one, once I decided there was no point in posting "Nothing."

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:36 pm 

That thread

Spoiler: show

escalated quickly.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:03 am 

After spending some time with their classic albums and seeing them constantly brought up in the same breath, I have come to the conclusion that Immolation > Incantation. BY A LANDSLIDE.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:25 am 

Oooh, that's a tough call.

You're right about them often being brought up together, though, to the extent that I know people who always confuse the two; that's one of my pet hates. To me, they sound far, far too different to one another to be lumped together, but don't quite differ enough for them to represent two ends of a sonic spectrum. Ergh.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:30 am 

Yeah, they're almost worlds apart really. Incantation does the whole doomy and super evil murky death metal thing, while Immolation is more focused on making very creative dissonant mid-paced to fast riffs catchy somehow.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:31 am 

I almost posted the exact same thing (Immolation>Incantation) on here just to stir up some conversation. Just got "Unholy Cult" which completes my Immolation full length album collection. I don't hear that album talked about much at all and it fucking blew me away. I'm kind of a weird Immolation fan, I think that and "Harnessing Ruin" are my favorites while "Close To A World Below" is my least.

Incantation is a great band and all but I'd say their best still ranks just below Immo's worst. I want to stress neither band has even approached mediocrity.

Also, I used to get them confused all the time until I actually started listening to the two of them. They're two bands that can be described in similar ways (dark, dissonant, those big doomy moments they both do, the "scorched" tone of it all, etc) but they've both got such a distinctive respective personality its impossible for any good death metal fan to confuse the two.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:40 am 

Sokaris wrote:

Incantation is a great band and all but I'd say their best still ranks just below Immo's worst. I want to stress neither band has even approached mediocrity.

I wouldn't go NEARLY that far. Immolation's worst (Shadows in the Light) is painfully mediocre. Depending on the day, I would even say it's terrible. Thankfully they never released something nearly that bad, production and songwriting wise. It's nowhere near the mastery that is Mortal Throne of Nazarene. Still, with Ross Dolan, the dynamic and awesome drumming, and more crazy and memorable riffs than you can count, it's hard not to prefer Immolation.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:50 am 

Well, most people wouldn't go that far. I don't know if Incantation is a lot bigger in terms of sales or anything like that, but I definitely hear more acclaim going to them than Immolation.

Immolation is a HELL of a lot more memorable to me, that's all. Those weird, twisted, harmonic littered riffs, that low roar of the vocals, the drums that sound like their drummer's using tree trunks to play... They just speak more to me than Incantation is all.

Immolation>Incantation

Don't even get me started on how much better Dismember is than Entombed.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:00 am 

I would agree with that sentiment as well, but I wouldn't say anything Dismember has ever done is that much better than Left Hand Path. They merely stayed good through the years, while Entombed didn't. :-P

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 733, 734, 735, 736, 737, 738, 739 ... 827  Next