Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:38 pm 

Had a friend of mine send me a link about this video: THE MOST IMPORTANT BOOK OF THE 21ST CENTURY (according to the author). Actually though I seriously would be interested to read this even if I feel like giving money to 5 Percenters does me no favors personally:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwUUkEve4nI

Quote:
I have no clue where to begin find music that I like.

All I can tell you is to keep listening to things, keep an open mind, and remember that no one really gives a shit about what music you like except you. Unless it is Marillion. I liked them when I was a teenager and a friend of mine was like "LOL Marillion" and now we both laugh about it because seriously, Marillion.

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:44 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Went to one of the grocery stores in town that I don't normally go to. Everything in the store was messed up, from signs/tags to which products were where to the automated checkout throwing exceptions on literally every item ("incorrect weight in bagging area") and having half of the stuff I got ringing up at the wrong price. As I was walking towards the door, two bags ripped at the same time. It shouldn't be hard!

Awww ... 20 dollars!? I wanted a peanut.
20 dollars can buy many peanuts!
Explain how.
Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
You make it sound easy!

I'll save you, Zodi!

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:14 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
I'm still not getting why people seem to worship Demigod's Slumber of Sullen Eyes. I mean it doesn't suck...but there's nothing particularly amazing about it. The riffs aren't anything excellent, compositions are fairly tight but kind of forgettable, atmosphere is kind of nowhere in particular, and the album as a whole has no sense of flow at all. :| What gives.

Perhaps you just need to give it time to sink in, I don't know what else to say. I view it as one of the best death metal albums period, so it's a no-brainer that I disagree with every point you made for disliking it. For me, Slumber of Sullen Eyes is pure, classy DM. Nothing more, nothing less...

Maybe we're not listening to the same album. :p

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:56 pm 

Meh, I'm probably just broken inside. If anyone's looking to rent a soul on the cheap, shoot me a PM.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:24 pm 

So the debut Giant X (the new band featuring Rolf Kasparek and apparently Liam Neeson) album has shown up on certain seedy corners of the internet that I frequent. I have to hear it because of my masochistic obsession with Running Wild, but this couldn't have more warning signs plastered on it if it was printed on a cigarette carton. A post-2000 (94 for most of you heathens) butt rock album with Rolf, with a name that's eerily reminiscent of the band of misfits who got kicked out of Running Wild and summarily started a Running Wild worship band? Man there's no way this can be good. The only brightside is that at least he isn't releasing this as another Running Wild album I suppose...
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:27 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
So the debut Giant X (the new band featuring Rolf Kasparek and apparently Liam Neeson) album has shown up on certain seedy corners of the internet that I frequent. I have to hear it because of my masochistic obsession with Running Wild, but this couldn't have more warning signs plastered on it if it was printed on a cigarette carton. A post-2000 (94 for most of you heathens) butt rock album with Rolf, with a name that's eerily reminiscent of the band of misfits who got kicked out of Running Wild and summarily started a Running Wild worship band? Man there's no way this can be good. The only brightside is that at least he isn't releasing this as another Running Wild album I suppose...

This is just proof of what Rolf really wants to do, and how much I can't respect the newest Running Wild travesty.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:29 pm 

Yeah, Shadowmaker was a pretty obvious trap to get idiots like me to buy it (which I didn't, thankfully). But even then I did like two or three songs off of it, but I think that shows more of my delusional fanboyism than any remaining skill on his part.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:40 pm 

Anyone else notice the subtle goatse in the logo?
Hehe, foreskins.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:44 pm 

Crick wrote:

:bow: How appropriate.

Anywho, three songs in and it's 2-1 on the shitty butt rock to decent rocking metal ratio. The first song actually sounded like it could have been a decent track on The Brotherhood or something, but the next two so far have been bad rock songs that try to be anthemic but just end up boring. Rolf's voice has fallen so far, and the production he's been employing lately really highlights that. Dude needs reverb on his voice.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:49 pm 

You need to review ReV like I did, BH. You'll feel more complete as a RW fan after doing so.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:55 pm 

I always planned on doing them all someday. With my five year anniversary as a regular reviewer coming up in February and me leaving for basic training in March, I'm running out of time and have two big milestones coming up, so I'll probably do it sometime.

Update on Giant X: "Now or Never" was kinda fun, kinda metal-lite, "Nameless Heroes" was a really really awful ballad that needs to be shot behind the shed and ignored, and now I'm halfway through "Go 4 It" and it's actually pretty cool. Big stupid rock n roll song. ANA will kill me for this but it reminds me of certain Motorhead tracks, actually.

So far it's shit on the whole but there are a couple good spots.

EDIT: "The Count" is this album's answer to "Me and the Boys". Holy shit this is bad.

Last edited by BastardHead on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:56 pm 

Crick wrote:

Maybe they are embracing their butt rock influences? :lol:

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:59 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Update on Giant X: "Now or Never" was kinda fun, kinda metal-lite, "Nameless Heroes" was a really really awful ballad that needs to be shot behind the shed and ignored, and now I'm halfway through "Go 4 It" and it's actually pretty cool. Big stupid rock n roll song. ANA will kill me for this but it reminds me of certain Motorhead tracks, actually.

EDIT: "The Count" is this album's answer to "Me and the Boys". Holy shit this is bad.

:lol: :lol: :lol: This has to be accepted as a side project for MA so we can review (bash) this.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:00 pm 

Crick wrote:
subtle goatse

Now there's an interesting pairing.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:02 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Crick wrote:
subtle goatse

Now there's an interesting pairing.

LOL, that's an oxymoron if I've ever seen one.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:02 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: This has to be accepted as a side project for MA so we can review (bash) this.

Ugh, it's in the queue right now, I put in the Moderator Notes that I'd listen and judge it's metalness to see if it's worthy of inclusion. Not looking good so far. And the side project rule is gonna be blurry here, because it was started as a new band after RW dissolved, but is now considered a side project by Rolf since he brought RW back, so who knows really?

"Rough Ride" is boring as fuck, I swear I can hear country influence in this. Four songs to go after this, and I have to be to work in an hour. This is gonna make me walk in the door in a foul mood :lol:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:03 pm 

LanceCriminal wrote:
huh. People actually still pay attention to that guy?

Unfortunately, yes. VoidApostle's family is sadly not an isolated exception.

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
Was that really so bad? I was expecting to see worse. Even though his logic is applied to women it could easily have been directed towards men,

What the hell is that supposed to mean? He targeted women, but because he hypothetically could have targeted men, it's fine...? I.... don't even

Quote:
anyways even if people still watch this dude I doubt there's many functionally fucking couples that would look to an 80 year reverend for romantic advice. No harm there.

See above.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Crick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:05 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
Crick wrote:

Maybe they are embracing their butt rock influences? :lol:

It doesnt help that he band's name is GIANT X. Im just waiting for "Giant X-hole" to pop up in a review.
Hehe, foreskins.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:09 pm 

You could place anything in that X though, if you take it as a String variable...

GIANT asshole
GIANT anus
GIANT penis
Hehe, GIANT foreskins.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:09 pm 

The more I listen to Behold... The Arctopus the more I cannot wait to see them. My love for complete guitar wankery might be coming back.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:19 pm 

Giant X album is done, "R.O.C.K." is the rock n roll version of "Thrash til Death", and it's not very good... at all. "Let's Dance" was so stupidly bad it was almost endearing, and "Friendly Fire" was just... oh lord there were some bad songs here. Definitely more rock than metal though, so a page here isn't looking too promising.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:37 pm 

Let's dance put on your red shoes and dance the blues
Let's dance to the song they're playin' on the radio

Aszfargoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:05 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Let's dance put on your red shoes and dance the blues
Let's dance to the song they're playin' on the radio

If you say run - I'll run with you!
If you say hide - we'll hide (hide, hide, hide, hiiiideee...)!
Because my love for you - could break my heart in two!
(Daaaaaa...)
If you should fall (Daaaaaaaaaaa...)
Into my arms (Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...)
And tremble like a - floooooooowweeeeeeeer!

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:08 pm 

Chose general anesthesia for my wisdom teeth extraction. After the IV needle was inserted and I was hooked up to monitoring devices, I was laying down for a good few minutes wondering when the hell they were going to start the surgery until I realized had gauze in my mouth. Very cool experience. I was pretty disappointed I didn't end up all loopy like this girl, though. That was the one thing I was looking forward to experiencing.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:32 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
Chose general anesthesia for my wisdom teeth extraction. After the IV needle was inserted and I was hooked up to monitoring devices, I was laying down for a good few minutes wondering when the hell they were going to start the surgery until I realized had gauze in my mouth. Very cool experience. I was pretty disappointed I didn't end up all loopy like this girl, though. That was the one thing I was looking forward to experiencing.

Wow, GA? Quite interesting man. The reason I say this is because I have a peculiar condition with my wisdom teeth. They are horizontally placed under the gums and they were extending slowly but have kinda stopped. This was about 4 years back though. I still have the x-ray I had saved on my photobucket. It hasn't posed much of a threat but if it does, I'll have to get them extracted as well.

Spoiler: show

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:37 pm 

Adriankat wrote:

Anesthesia is fucking weird. When I was about to get my appendix removed, they had me count backwards from 100 to 1, and by the time I started and finished the operation was over.
Still the worst birthday dinner ever, but it was pretty cool either way.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:46 pm 

Getting GA for wisdom teeth extraction is actually the norm here in America. I went with GA because I'm sort of a sissy, heh. I had horizontal wisdom teeth too; they were getting pretty close to the nerves, which would've caused some problems if I had not acted sooner. All four of my wisdoms had bad decay on them too due to them being impossible to clean (two were under the gums).

Anesthesia is pretty weird. I vaguely remember opening my eyes for a little bit and hearing my teeth being cracked, but I'm not even sure if I was dreaming.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:50 pm 

Oh damn, I better wish mine stay dormant forever. I didn't know GA was a norm for those procedures. I figured since it wasn't that big a surgery, GA wouldn't be advised. But I get why anyone would be a sissy regarding this. I'm a fuckin' pussy when I have to pay a visit to the dentist. I've already gotten two RCTs =/

Crick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:56 pm 

So Gargoyle are working on yet another new album. Already in the studio. Jesus christ guys, do you ever stop?
Hehe, foreskins.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:58 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
I was pretty disappointed I didn't end up all loopy

Last time I went to the dentist to get a cavity filled they way overdid the anesthetic. I was out long enough to be able to show up at a party a couple hours later and get the "what the fuck is that kid on" looks.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:16 pm 

Crick wrote:
So Gargoyle are working on yet another new album. Already in the studio. Jesus christ guys, do you ever stop?

That's what I love about Japanese bands man. They are always releasing tons of music. It's great.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:52 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
I think I need to look more into Spectral Lore...

:wtf:

You're doing it again, Sentinel will be among my next purchases.

My collection

Crick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:01 pm 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
Crick wrote:

That's what I love about Japanese bands man. They are always releasing tons of music. It's great.

They've not taken a single break though, like god damn. They've released something EVERY SINGLE YEAR. No hiatus, just constant touring, recording, or filming. This'll be their 16th album in 26 years of existence, not counting EPs, demos, or compilations (which, in Gargoyle terms, is almost never a compilation but a shitload of re-recordings)
Hehe, foreskins.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:30 pm 

They obviously are cyborgs or something.

30 more minutes til the weekend. Cannot wait.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:40 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

*The word toxik in your signature catches my eyes.* *clicks on your blog out of curiosity* *scrolls down to see the "Think This" score* *leaves*

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:58 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:
I think I need to look more into Spectral Lore...

:wtf:

You're doing it again, Sentinel will be among my next purchases.

:lol: stalkiinngg yyooouuuu....

I first came across II a couple years ago while shopping at Aquarius in San Francisco, but I remember not liking what I heard at the time. I think the drum programming was bugging me and the Aquarius fanboy-froth review wasn't helping things. Anyway, I forgot about it for a while, then crossed paths with Spectral Lore again on their split with Underjordiska, which I checked out on the basis of the cover art alone, and was really pleasantly surprised by an unexpectedly beautiful, immersive collection of atmospheric/ambient instrumental work. Forgot about Spectral Lore altogether again, then stumbled across some samples of Sentinel a couple days ago. Sounded really promising, will definitely be consuming a lot of the stuff he's got up on Bandcamp this weekend.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:10 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
:lol: stalkiinngg yyooouuuu....

:oh shit:

Been sampling the hell out of Sentinel, and was completely engrossed by the sprawling, hypnotic nature of it - vast stuff indeed. For something else soaked in brittle, overwhelming atmosphere in a black metal context starmere, give Evilfeast a listen. I kind of like this quite a bit...

My collection

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:25 pm 

I've been listening to Christopher Amott's last solo album. It's actually pretty decent considering I don't really care about Arch Enemy. 99% based with some very good guitar work. Amott is a decent singer too.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:15 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

*The word toxik in your signature catches my eyes.* *clicks on your blog out of curiosity* *scrolls down to see the "Think This" score* *leaves*

BastardHead is entitled to his opinion, even if it's a ridiculous one :-P

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:19 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Been sampling the hell out of Sentinel, and was completely engrossed by the sprawling, hypnotic nature of it - vast stuff indeed. For something else soaked in brittle, overwhelming atmosphere in a black metal context starmere, give Evilfeast a listen. I kind of like this quite a bit...

Hmm...I've given Lost Horizons of Wisdom a few spins in the past and recently looked into Wintermoon Enchantment. I can't say Evilfeast does much for me, even though I think he does what he does respectably. A lot of the time his stuff rides this awkward line of almost being really awesome and also being tiringly familiar-sounding (i.e. Burzum worship + Emperor knockoff + big keyboards = ehhh). Kinda falls into a generalized grey area for me, though at least on the pleasing side of that spectrum.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 764, 765, 766, 767, 768, 769, 770 ... 827  Next