Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:13 pm 

It will be worse than for the latest Ensiferum since it will be fanboyism x1000. I don't know if it will beat the 26 reviews of the self titled though (3rd on the site after Illud and Reign in Blood.)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:52 pm 

Just in case that whole "happiness" thing was getting on your nerves.

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:04 am 

I thought "this is a commercial." and laughed a little. Am I a bad person?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:06 am 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
/me np: Wintersun - Time

No kidding.

Is it shit, or snow-covered shit?

It would be like a battle against time listening to it in one sitting.

edit:
ziiiiiiiing

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:08 am 

TheEvilSocky wrote:

I..... I got something in my eye.....

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:16 am 

Went to a screening of EA Dupont's Das Alte Gesetz at the Modern at Suffolk University with a live score provided by Thomas Köner. Deep, reverberant, anxiety filled drones, lots of his signature texture work. It underscored the dread caused by assimilation and self identity as well as constraint of roles present in the film profoundly. There was a discussion with him as well. It was interesting to hear him discuss the opening up of spaces and the duty of analysis and observation of our times.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:46 am 

Lucky! I wonder if there'll be a recording of the soundtrack released at any point.

That reminds me, still have to grab his new Novaya Zemlya, I've read very positive reviews. More of the same, sounds like, but how could that ever be a bad thing? ;)

Oh WoP, if you're interested in checking out more live Köner material you might want to look into Kontakt der Jünglinge, his collaborative project with Asmus Tietchens. I've not delved too far into it yet myself (soon!), but it seems promising. Several albums created under that project.

Last edited by Under_Starmere on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:06 am 

It doesn't seem likely. The score is created while he's watching it with you, so every performance is different. He talked about finding new spaces to draw new insight/conclusions, then abandoning them, and moving on to new experiences/spaces, so it seems like he is into the open living work (for this commission) and breathing life into the old and making it new. Recording it seems antithetical.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:11 am 

Ah, okay. Wow...that sounds really cool. Awesome that you were able to catch the performance. Would've loved to have seen that.

p.s. See my comment above re: Kontakt der Jünglinge in case you missed it.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:47 am 

I've been meaning to check out Asmus Tietchens so this'll give me an excuse finally.

I'm on an Aube (Aqua Syndrome), Smell & Quim, Three Six Mafia, and Italo-Disco kick right now. It's pretty bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9WB_4hh1ao

Oh and Phantomsmasher! Plotkin is the master of filters and making ineffable music.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:24 am 

WTF is up with amazon seller i-Deals Store, they have thousands of cds for $1 each including tons of rare box sets and rare cds, I wonder if they got hacked or something? I mean look at the price of this Sinister altered since birth box set for just one example, $1! Must be some kind of glitch.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:44 am 

slayerhatesusall wrote:
WTF is up with amazon seller i-Deals Store, they have thousands of cds for $1 each including tons of rare box sets and rare cds, I wonder if they got hacked or something? I mean look at the price of this Sinister altered since birth box set for just one example, $1! Must be some kind of glitch.

Quote:
Rates are based on shipping a single item. Purchasing multiple items from a seller results in multiple shipping charges--there are no "per shipment" and "per item" charges, as there is when you buy items fulfilled by Amazon.com.

Oldest trick in the world. Still relatively cheap.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:46 am 

TheEvilSocky wrote:

It doesn't even need the Dead Island theme for the ad to be the saddest thing ever. Anyway, here's something else from Thailand to lighten the mood.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:57 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
TheEvilSocky wrote:

I..... I got something in my eye.....

What, it's got a happy end. How are you supposed to feel existential despair that way?

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:57 am 

inhumanist wrote:
What, it's got a happy end. How are you supposed to feel existential despair that way?

And you didn't cry through the video at all? You expected the ending to make up for the sorrow? I'd have gone and beat those people for being such assholes.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:41 am 

I'm not gonna cry because of a made up 3 minute commercial when all the real suffering and tragedies that happen in the world don't make me cry every second of my life.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:04 pm 

Inhumanist, I felt moved because, for a comercial, it was incredibly touching and heartfelt. It's not a thing of existential despair (something which anyone with half a brain should be extremely used to by now)

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:18 pm 

*Sigh* I never said that it's not touching or heartfelt and that there is anything wrong with being moved by it. I'm maybe not as affected by it as other people (because I'm such a cynical bastard), or at least that's what I tell myself, but that was not my point. In my first post I wasn't even trying to make a point, just to point something out that went through my mind at the time.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:25 pm 

Sorry then. It's just that I read it differently.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:34 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
*Sigh* I never said that it's not touching or heartfelt and that there is anything wrong with being moved by it. I'm maybe not as affected by it as other people (because I'm such a cynical bastard), or at least that's what I tell myself, but that was not my point. In my first post I wasn't even trying to make a point, just to point something out that went through my mind at the time.

Yeah, sorry for the misunderstanding. My mental instability got the better of me.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:47 pm 

It's ok, I'm used to misunderstandings when I'm clumsily trying to express my thoughts. :)

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:21 pm 

A new world record for jumping from a space balloon was just made. Watched the live feed for a whole hour, right to the time when he touched down on the ground. It was pretty spectacular. Don't know if anyone knew this was happening, but it was pretty cool.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:41 pm 

It was pretty cool to watch. I'm somewhat amazed (and just a little, teensy bit bummed) that nothing really went wrong.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:50 pm 

theposega wrote:
It was pretty cool to watch. I'm somewhat amazed (and just a little, teensy bit bummed) that nothing really went wrong.

I was a little surprised he didn't break the fall time record. He must have been going too fast.

Anyways, I was just thinking about how I wish they'd let Rob Evil out of jail already. Just looked up some interview with him, but I couldn't find why he's incarcerated or for how long.

Last edited by metaldiscussor666 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:58 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
A new world record for jumping from a space balloon was just made. Watched the live feed for a whole hour, right to the time when he touched down on the ground. It was pretty spectacular. Don't know if anyone knew this was happening, but it was pretty cool.

wanted to watch it the other day, but they bailed on it. Saw on FB it was happening today, and watched it from 9 minutes onwards. Really enjoyed it, watched it with my friends and housemates. Really scared for him all the way through. Loved all the pictures of the Earth from the various heights. Shame it was a stream and not on TV though, as I had to have it on low-ish quality so it didn't have to buffer. Some of the footage from the cameras on him will be great to see.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:33 pm 

He didn't break the freefall record because of using the parachute so early.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:57 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
He didn't break the freefall record because of using the parachute so early.

Not the time record, because he was going really fast.

Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:52 pm 

Did anyone of you that was on here last night see a post that said something about people outside my house looking for a dog? I swear I posted it on this thread last night and it appeared in the "Lamb of God hate" thread.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:53 pm 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:
Did anyone of you that was on here last night see a post that said something about people outside my house looking for a dog? I swear I posted it on this thread last night and it appeared in the "Lamb of God hate" thread.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:16 pm 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:

I thought it was supposed to be a super cryptic metaphor about hating Lamb of God

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:28 pm 

Just found this little gem. It's a YouTube show with Scott Ian (yes, the Anthrax Scott Ian) talking with a bunch of people who make special effects for horror movies. It's pretty cool.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:19 pm 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:

:ah-ha:

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:08 pm 

slayerhatesusall wrote:

I bought a few CDs here because of the cheap price a couple nights ago. I paid maybe ten bucks for three CDs (all Symphony X albums, specifically the double-disc edition of Iconoclast, The Odyssey and Twilight In Olympus).

I am somewhat curious about the prices, but if they come like the product description said, I won't complain or protest.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:18 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Just found this little gem. It's a YouTube show with Scott Ian (yes, the Anthrax Scott Ian) talking with a bunch of people who make special effects for horror movies. It's pretty cool.

That was awesome, cheers Nico :thumbsup:

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:00 am 

I can never understand half of the people in Thrash metal shows. Whenever a solo pops up, the whole front row starts twiddling their fingers in the solo-er's direction. I keep on thinking they want to tickle the scrotum of whoever is doing the solo.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:38 am 

Pagan_Death_Sceam wrote:
I keep on thinking they want to tickle the scrotum of whoever is doing the solo.

I've seen it happen.

Caj1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:35 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Welcome back bellends, to the thread that never ends. We're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside.

I only read the first five posts because I'm a lazy cretin, and all I have to say is that I really hate Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:43 am 

Caj1 wrote:
I only read the first five posts because I'm a lazy cretin, and all I have to say is that I really hate Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

In a thread that's well over a year old, and has over 25,000 posts, you read the first five and posted? Wouldn't the last five or something make a bit more sense...?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:59 am 

TheNiceNightmare: It's absolutely imperative that all users of FFA read the entire discussion so far. This way we can avoid the annoyance of a previously discussed topic coming up for the second time.

Caj1, I recommend you read the older FFA threads aswell before posting here.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:00 am 

It'd be wise to take notes along the way.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 639, 640, 641, 642, 643, 644, 645 ... 827  Next