Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:18 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Noktorn has always been named Noktorn.

He was posting under the name SharpAndSlender on the forum for some time. All his reviews are under the name Noktorn, though.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:19 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Noktorn has always been named Noktorn.

He was posting under the name SharpAndSlender on the forum for some time. All his reviews are under the name Noktorn, though.

Ah yes, he was also SepticTomb for a time. But yeah, all of his reviews are under the Noktorn name.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:33 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
EDIT: This just made me go o_O :nono:

I am completely and utterly unsurprised to see that all of the cited politicians are Republicans.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:37 pm 

What ever happened to Noktorn's review of Catasexual Urge Motivation? It's still on his blog, but I noticed it left this site like a week after being posted.

Also, perhaps someone can help me out. No matter what LP I put on my turntable, it quickly starts skipping. Does this mean I just need to replace my needle or should I take the whole turntable into a shop to get it checked out? I'm pretty new this whole thing. I'm assuming it's just the needle because I've never replaced it and it was already used when I got it. How often do needles generally need to be replaced?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:41 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Noktorn has always been named Noktorn. The thing is that it was so long that the site couldn't handle it (it cut off the last few paragraphs) so it got nuked (also for other reasons, namely it was more about himself than the music), but it can still be found on his blog.

It was "me, myself and I".

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:43 pm 

His review got nuked. I'm not entirely sure why, but I believe it was because of his innate ability to write "ME! ME! ME! ME! LOOK AT ME!" in his reviews, especially that one. I've never read it myself because I don't care for CUM (well played Catasexual Urge Motivation) or his reviews in general...most of them anyway.

I know Morrigan isn't a fan of Noktorn. At all. In any universe, anywhere.

Obligatory Last FM Link

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:06 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Also, perhaps someone can help me out. No matter what LP I put on my turntable, it quickly starts skipping. Does this mean I just need to replace my needle or should I take the whole turntable into a shop to get it checked out? I'm pretty new this whole thing. I'm assuming it's just the needle because I've never replaced it and it was already used when I got it. How often do needles generally need to be replaced?

Probably just the needle. Is it actually skipping or just crackling? If it's crackling you might just need to clean it. If it's skipping it might have gotten dull and need replacing.

In other news, I've got my first haircut in almost two years booked for tomorrow. I feel like I'm going in for surgery.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:09 pm 

Yeah, it's skipping and crackling, actually. Thanks for the advice.

Holy fucking SHIT!!! The first announcements for Brutal Assault are unreal: Amorphis, Borknagar, Caparthian Forest, Benediction, Ihsahn, Meshuggah. Will probably buy my ticket in December. Wacken and Brutal Assault within ten days, I'm in for a wild start to next August. Anyone else thinking of going?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:18 pm 

I'm thinking of getting a haircut too, I'm not ready yet though, I want Razakel's haircut!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:19 pm 

Has anyone seen the new Cattle Decapitation video? Jesus goring christ...
Edit:
Just found the thread. Well, it's viraling for a reason :D

Last edited by why on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:21 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a haircut too, I'm not ready yet though, I want Razakel's haircut!

<3

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:23 pm 

why wrote:
Has anyone seen the new Cattle Decapitation video? Jesus goring christ...

Well, if you want to see it again...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93977

I wonder if we'll see something like this again.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:46 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

Sellout :grumble:

I always find it a bit sad when someone makes that decision. I guess I'm just too young and idealistic.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:08 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

Sellout :grumble:

I always find it a bit sad when someone makes that decision. I guess I'm just too young and idealistic.

I've been wearing a skinhead cut since I was 13. It's only just recently that I've actually let my hair grow. (Going backwards I guess) Can't say I ever really got the whole hair attachment thing with metalheads, in my experience having long hair as a male adds a ton of social pressure.

Though that might have something to do with the fact that most of the places I've lived were primarily inhabited by conservative religious folk.

last.fm

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:10 pm 

I got my hair cut at the beginning of this year, felt weird on the first days but then I never cared again.
Maybe I'll go skinhead on the next one

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:13 pm 

All Symphony X is good. Never heard a bad album by them.

As for AN, Vanitas is fucking incredible - it's more melodic than past efforts but also really ballsy, wrathful and angry. Doesn't lose an inch of its fury in the melodicism.

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:13 pm 

Did you know that Huntress got $25/K for Spell Eater from Napalm because they signed a 360 deal? Things I learned from an e-friend being courted by labels for a deal.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:23 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

This. All of their stuff goes from "good" to "fucking excellent".
Empyreal wrote:
As for AN, Vanitas is fucking incredible - it's more melodic than past efforts but also really ballsy, wrathful and angry. Doesn't lose an inch of its fury in the melodicism.

I'm yet to listen to it in it's entirety, but judging by Of Fire, and Fucking Pigs, it's awesome, and much better than what I heard from Passion.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:23 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
His review got nuked. I'm not entirely sure why, but I believe it was because of his innate ability to write "ME! ME! ME! ME! LOOK AT ME!" in his reviews, especially that one. I've never read it myself because I don't care for CUM (well played Catasexual Urge Motivation) or his reviews in general...most of them anyway.

I know Morrigan isn't a fan of Noktorn. At all. In any universe, anywhere.

He was a good reviewer and a musical genius! Rainfall is my favourite band :-D
Nice new custom title, by the way!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:27 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

This. All of their stuff goes from "good" to "fucking excellent".
Empyreal wrote:

I'm yet to listen to it in it's entirety, but judging by Of Fire, and Fucking Pigs, it's awesome, and much better than what I heard from Passion.

Yup. I haven't heard most of AN's discography but Vanitas stacks up well to The Codex Necro and In the Constellation..., and provides its own more melodic, thrashy sort of edge to the previous sound which was more of a hellish blur of noise. This new one you can distinguish everything much more easily, but it actually works because they don't tone down the aggression, they just used a different kind of production that accentuated the sound in a new way. And they varied up the songwriting with some cool slower cuts.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:46 pm 

Noktorn was weird man, he was a really good writer, but his taste was pretty awful and his levels of pretension were through the roof.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:07 pm 

I cringed reading through his Catasexual Urge Motivation and Paracaccociwhatever reviews

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:15 pm 

Where is he anyway? Haven't seen him post in awhile.

last.fm

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:20 pm 

Nobody around here knows (at least as far as I'm aware). He does owe quite a few people money from his distro, and it's been suggested that that has something to do with his abrupt disappearance.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:30 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Nobody around here knows (at least as far as I'm aware). He does owe quite a few people money from his distro, and it's been suggested that that has something to do with his abrupt disappearance.

http://www.metal-archives.com/users/Noktorn
Hm, looks like he got banned from the forums. He hasn't been around since January.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:33 pm 

oogboog wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/users/Noktorn
Hm, looks like he got banned from the forums. He hasn't been around since January.

Spoiler: show

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:34 pm 

I'm so happy right now.. I just got my hands on the last copy of Horn of the Rhino - Weight Of Coronation, directly bought from the band. :hyper:

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:06 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
He was a good reviewer and a musical genius! Rainfall is my favourite band :-D
Nice new custom title, by the way!

Thank you sir, Dark Tower and stuff.

Razakel wrote:

He's a total loser if that's true. I'd disappear abruptly too if I owed a bunch of money because I'm irresponsible.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:39 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtgAynh-b3U appropriate ^

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:58 pm 

I'm surprised nobody has done a concept album on the Dark Tower yet. Sure, Demons and Wizards have a few songs, but Demons and Wizards suck.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:02 pm 

Aeonblade wrote:
I'm surprised nobody has done a concept album on the Dark Tower yet. Sure, Demons and Wizards have a few songs, but Demons and Wizards suck.

Haha I was just thinking about starting a band about The Dark Tower. Fuck that would be awesome.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:05 pm 

Long days and pleasant night my friennddsss! Journey across far away landsssss!!

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:07 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Aeonblade wrote:

Haha I was just thinking about starting a band about The Dark Tower. Fuck that would be awesome.

A friend of mine from the band The Ziggurat (They're on the archives, look them up!) was thinking about doing an album about it, but after he found out about the Demons and Wizards tracks he drifted away from it. Tried to convince him that he should do it anyway, but he seems more interested in sticking to Lovecraft metal now.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:11 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Long days and pleasant night my friennddsss! Journey across far away landsssss!!

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.

Stephen King makes the best villains: The Crimson King, Randall Flagg, Pennywise, Tak, Annie Wilkes, John Rainbird (no one EVER talks about Rainbird), George Stark...

Some of his novels suck, but man, his good ones are ace.

Obligatory Last FM Link

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:14 pm 

Aeonblade wrote:
I'm surprised nobody has done a concept album on the Dark Tower yet.

I can just imagine it. The album gets off to a great start but after a few tracks it starts leaning towards the middling. A seemingly obligatory, half-hearted ballad makes an unremarkable appearance. Suddenly, without warning, it veers off into self indulgent tripe. As the album churns out it's last few unfortunate songs a choir, a flute, and a string section show up in a muddled attempt at epicness.

Actually wait, I think I've heard albums like that before...

burnroasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:14 pm 

Speaking of stupid posters, this was the funniest thread. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73261

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:18 pm 

The only book I really didn't like was Wolves. That one was total assholes. Wizard and Glass was slow, but I thought the plot had enough interesting parts to make it worth it at the end. All the real world and time travel shit get's goofy, but Song was short and fast paced, and I thought the last book did a good job at bringing everything together.

Can't complain about the first three. Love those books, especially Drawing.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:22 pm 

The Dandelo was one of my favourite creatures in the series. I always thought that it was quite similar to the monster Pennywise was.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:27 pm 

Speaking of books and authors and literature things, I just started reading a book by Vonnegut and I'm loving the hell out of it so far.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:28 pm 

Tick Tock Man was such a let down. When he appears he's talked up to be very dangerous and at least as fast as Roland. Then he's brought back in the next book to die ten seconds after he appears. Gasher ended up being a better villain.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 641, 642, 643, 644, 645, 646, 647 ... 827  Next