Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:10 am 

Veracs on the road to redemption?

Also, I can dig it Frog. Always liked those nigs.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:11 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Well...I do dress sharply.

Also, can we please talk about how this is fucking ridiculous and awesome.

Indeed we can. I raise my scotch glass to the keyboards in this track. Always loved that watery, feeble, rusted sound they have. I really like this album more than probably anything else I've heard from Mikko Aspa. Definitely looking forward to a followup, if one ever emerges.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:12 am 

I'm sure you could get a pretty huge haul if everyone would do that for you, Veracs. I'll pay Fenriz to deliver it at your house along with a ball sack falcon punch.

Frog has sexy suspenders, he's a master hipster and we like him like that.

My evening: studying + Colt 45

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:17 am 

Send Fenriz to my house, I'll sick my two hungry Border collies on him and they'll tear his postman trouser's off for Darkthrone's newest.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:18 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Well...I do dress sharply.

Also, can we please talk about how this is fucking ridiculous and awesome.

I can dig it. That main riff is mesmerizing and heavy as hell.

Oh. I haven't heard this before. I've listened to his other bands like Clandestine Blaze and DSO.

This wasn't too shabby. At about 3 minutes, the organ sounds (?) could've been used more effectively. And suddenly, it disappears like an 'on-off' switch. I'm about 7 minutes into the track and it seems waaaay better now. I'll definitely check out his full length later.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:21 am 

Please do so. It is good. The title track is one of the best funeral doom songs I know of. The whole album is great. Also, his track "Above Him" on the Crushing the Holy Trinity collection is just as good as, or better than, anything on this album.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:26 am 

Has anyone heard the new Nick Cave album yet? If so, what do you think?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:45 am 

Having a four day weekend rules.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:53 am 

My friend has a five day weekend because she has class only 2 days a week and doesn't work.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:04 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
My friend has a five day weekend because she has class only 2 days a week and doesn't work.

I'm in the same boat, only class is Monday and Thursday. I'm taking more classes, but (unfortunately)they are online.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:06 am 

I work from home....so...every day is Sunday, man.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:09 am 

Frog, you gotta send me one of your children stories. I am a father, remember? I run out of children books, and I'd like to give one of yours a try!
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:10 am 

OpsiusCato wrote:
Frog, you gotta send me one of your children stories. I am a father, remember? I ran out of children books, and I'd like to give one of yours a try!
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:11 am 

Being that my eventual life goal is to be an established writer/literary figure someday, working from home seems like it would be a reality if that big dream ever comes to pass. But at the same time, I don't know. I like the idea of being out in a real work place and interacting with people every day. So it's a tradeoff.

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:15 am 

You could always get a staff job reviewing Power Metal at Metal Hammer, dude.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:19 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
I work from home....so...every day is Sunday, man.

:beer:

I fix computers. I don't get paid much and rarely ever get a client(which kinda sucks). Pretty neat not having to put up with annoying co-workers and bosses who hassle you for smelling like pot.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:19 am 

I could never review anything professionally. I pretty much only do it when the inspiration hits me these days...otherwise it'd just get really stale and uninspired. A few of the reviews I've done here over the last year I already feel are like that.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:20 am 

Stale and uninspired? What are you waiting for, call up Metal Hammer!
Hehe, foreskins.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:23 am 

Pretend you're a duck. They need more quacks.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:25 am 

Crick wrote:
Stale and uninspired? What are you waiting for, call up Metal Hammer!

:lol: Exactly why I'd never want to be a professional reviewer.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:44 am 

Is writing more effective when you're cooped up at home or does it help to get a change in scenes? Damn movies/tv shows always dramatize that bit.

I know freelance writers who are doing well for themselves but the thing with freelancing, you really need to put yourself out there like "hey, i'm awesome" and whore your shit around.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:51 am 

Honestly, and I speak for myself here, there's no universal formula. I tend to end up cooped up and obsessed while writing something big, picking up nasty habits like smoking a bunch of cigarettes and just generally embracing the mood of the material. While, for short stories, I very much work at an on and off type pace. Tinkering whenever I'm feeling it.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:51 am 

caspian wrote:
do you prefer Agalloch? Opeth? :gay: :ah-ha:

Coming from a guy who recommends My Chemical Romance on a Warning/40 Watt Sun review. Huh!? I do understand your pun on that review but I've utmost dislike for over-the-top smartass people and for Metallica fanboys as well. It's not that I dislike Metallica. I like them.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:14 am 

doomster999 wrote:
Coming from a guy who recommends My Chemical Romance on a Warning/40 Watt Sun review.

Read it again dude, he was hardly "recommending" them, he was just saying they were so bad they're pretty much worce than MCR. 40 Watt Sun are so bad I'd maybe consider taking MCR over them. Also, I have no qualms about admitting I love Agalloch. A lot of the negative reviews of the first three albums centre around how it's not that heavy and not really black metal, when they weren't attempting to be those things at all.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:32 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
Coming from a guy who recommends My Chemical Romance on a Warning/40 Watt Sun review.

. 40 Watt Sun are so bad I'd maybe consider taking MCR over them. l.

:lol:

That's almost as great as Tony posting that picture of Nadja.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

doomster999

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:40 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
doomster999 wrote:

Read it again dude, he was hardly "recommending" them, he was just saying they were so bad they're pretty much worce than MCR. 40 Watt Sun are so bad I'd maybe consider taking MCR over them. Also, I have no qualms about admitting I love Agalloch. A lot of the negative reviews of the first three albums centre around how it's not that heavy and not really black metal, when they weren't attempting to be those things at all.

It's ok. There are a lot people who can stand Warning/40 Watt Sun, I'm one of them. It's a fact that their songs are dang repetitive and void of any distinctive transitional passages and a portion of people despise them for that. Everyone is free to entitle their opinion, there's that and there's modesty.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:50 am 

Although I personally find them a bit boring, I can totally understand why people like Warning. 40 Watt Sun on the other hand came off like the Nickleback of doom metal when I listened to their album. Every song sounds the same to me, the vocals are awful (I don't know how he got worse) and the riffs/chord progressions are lifeless. Don't mean to shit on a band I know a few people here like, but I really don't understand why they are so hyped up.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:07 am 

1) Funnily enough, I wasn't being serious.

2) I like repetitiveness and lack of transitions. I'm known for a Nadja fan, I mean c'mon.

3) My reasons for disliking warning/40watt is because there's no interesting guitar parts and the singer whines all the time. This should be pretty damn obvious.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

doomster999

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:17 am 

Musicians don't owe anything to anyone. They've the right to make the kind of music they want. Eventually a group of listeners will appreciate it and the other half will diss it. I've said mean things about bands in the past but now I find it absolutely inane and juvenile and I've refrained from it long ago.

dystopia4 wrote:
Although I personally find them a bit boring, I can totally understand why people like Warning. 40 Watt Sun on the other hand came off like the Nickleback of doom metal when I listened to their album. Every song sounds the same to me, the vocals are awful (I don't know how he got worse) and the riffs/chord progressions are lifeless. Don't mean to shit on a band I know a few people here like, but I really don't understand why they are so hyped up.

Yea, I felt that too from first few listens. But I kept on listening from time to time, and I've noticed that there's enough melody buried within that dense guitar tone and the basslines complement it perfectly. And about the vocals, if someone can stand Jonsi's vocals then I don't understand having any problem with Walker's voice even remotely. That was referred to Caspian btw after noticing Sigur Ros in his top last.fm artists.

Last.fm

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:58 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I could never review anything professionally. I pretty much only do it when the inspiration hits me these days...otherwise it'd just get really stale and uninspired. A few of the reviews I've done here over the last year I already feel are like that.

Writing for Metal Hammer/Kerrap would be easy: just state the opposite of your honest opinion and see which label gives you the biggest bag of cash in exchange for you giving their shitty bands awesome reviews. Plus if you're lucky, the said label will sign your own boring band (*cough* I'm not naming names *splutter*).

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:59 am 

dystopia4 wrote:

Be that as it may, caspian actually likes Blink182 or whatever.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:57 am 

Trent Reznor's wife looks like an underage Thai prostitute.

Just saying.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:04 am 

Could also be a dude.

Just saying.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:00 am 

shouvince wrote:
Could also be a dude.

Just saying.

Considering she looks looks like an underage thai prostitue that could very well be accurate. Those ladyboys. Gotta watch out for um.

doomster999

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:20 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Could also be a dude.

Just saying.

Dude with decently shaped melons per se. :-P

Last.fm

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:51 pm 

Speaking of Metal magazines, did anyone here read Metal Maniacs? In my very limited time with that publication, I declared it the only print publication worth reading on Metal. This was like 5 years ago or something, so I don't really remember what the quality of the writing/articles were like, but I do remember it covering an unexpected amount of underground stuff, and I discovered a number of cool Black Metal bands from reading it. It only took two issues for me to want to sign up for a subscription, and it became defunct like a month later :lol:. I wonder if I could find those two issues I had.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:22 pm 

Yea I used to read it in high school like around 2000-2002. Besides Terrorizer it's the only metal mag I thought was worth the money. I think the only decent metal journalism going on in America these days is to be found online.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:23 pm 

I could never review professionally because A) I already know I'm shit with deadlines, and B) if Liquid Metal is anything to go by, what passes as popular mainstream metal nowadays is a bunch of fast "sludge" bands and djent/groove stuff. I swear to God, any time I turn that station there is a 30% chance they'll be playing either Meshuggah or Gojira. It's fucking constant.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:30 pm 

So I'll be going to Reno this weekend and a friend of mine is supposedly getting free tickets to Exhumed and Phobia! That'll be twice I've seen them on this tour. Even though they got a new singer Phobia is still way bad ass.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:33 pm 

I'm getting an allergic reaction to the capitalized genres on these boards these days. It looks soooo retarded. Any ideas on how to stop this crap? Anyone?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 815, 816, 817, 818, 819, 820, 821 ... 827  Next