Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:54 pm 

Yeah, you didn't strike me as trying to make a moral point, Inhumanist. I definitely get where you're coming from. It's just that "boy", being a perfectly nice and common word in the English language that was unfortunately given a racist subtext many decades ago, but then lost said subtext, to never recover it..... Well, I just don't find it to be offensive. It's certainly not even close to outright racial slurs like the ones I mentioned before, so..... Eh, I don't know.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:56 pm 

Yeah man, that type of speak is reserved for friends/close acquaintances. I always say "It's ya boy" to the black dudes I work with, and it's mostly because we talk about rap all the time and that's a pretty popular phrase.

But, yeah, I guess it could be offensive, I don't know. You know you're racist when you don't even know what constitutes as racism anymore.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:10 pm 

Severed Survival might be my all time favorite death metal album.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:20 pm 

It's probably nothing to get worked up about, so eh, whatever. It's not like I talk to black people in English a lot.

@AppleQueso: Good choice! But also not a unusual one. If I had to pick something spontaneously I'd probably say Seven Churches because it's such a fun album.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:24 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Yeah man, that type of speak is reserved for friends/close acquaintances. I always say "It's ya boy" to the black dudes I work with, and it's mostly because we talk about rap all the time and that's a pretty popular phrase.

But, yeah, I guess it could be offensive, I don't know. You know you're racist when you don't even know what constitutes as racism anymore.

Aye, my biff is just with that particular word, but I guess it doesn't matter much. Just like Inhumanist, I don't talk to black people in English. Hell, I don't know any black people in person, so I guess that will never really be a problem. You couldn't be more right about your second point though.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:32 pm 

As promised before the weekend, here's a scan of the article about Metal Archives in Iron Fist Magazine;

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:32 pm 

Preparing for a jury trial while listening to Voivod all day today. Good times.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:34 pm 

AppleQueso wrote:

SS has some of my favorite Autopsy songs, but overall I think Mental Funeral is their best

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:20 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Fuck. FUCK WHY IS BOLT THROWER SO GOOD. This will remain a mystery for the aeons, our sacred noumenal question, our arcanum.

The secondary arcanum shall be: WHY DID BOLT THROWER START KIND OF SUCKING AFTER THE IVTH CRUSADE.

I can understand why you might consider some of them a bit less good, but kinda suck is really stretching it. For Victory is fucking amazing. Mercenary has some very good songs (I can't even put into words how much I love "Powder Burns" and "No Guts No Glory") but the production is pretty much shit. The albums after that are solid as hell, but I would say not as good as The IVth Crusade and For Victory.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:34 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
As promised before the weekend, here's a scan of the article about Metal Archives in Iron Fist Magazine;

Nice man! Thanks, pretty cool article.

That's my last week before having a week off (reading week) wooo.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:19 pm 

Neat article! I did notice those innocuous amazon/ebay links but at that time I wasn't aware of affiliate marketing. Good stuff all around :thumbsup:

Xlxlx wrote:
shouvince wrote:
Yeah, well Waltz isn't lead-role material. I can't fathom him in any sort of lead role actually. He's at that Philip-Seymour-phase in life where he's being recognized for good supporting roles. If that makes any sense :-D

Ya think so, man? Because I believe the guy could be a great protagonist if given the right character. You know, sort of a guile hero thing, where he uses words and wit more than brute strength. He certainly has the charisma to pull that off.....

You hit the nail on the head! I'd hope for him to play such roles à la Sherlock Holmes but less mainstream and more badass. Maybe I think that way because of the stigma that I associate him with negative-ish roles...which are inevitably supporting actors. What you said would definitely be worth watching though.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:55 pm 

Nice article, I'm loving the best albums according to the MA bit, I knew Elvenefris was going to be among them.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:14 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:

Cool, looking forward to see the entire thing.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:18 pm 

Artillery's By Inheritance came out in 1990! Agghrh!

But yeah, Iron Fist is a cool magazine, I've got all three issues so far.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:02 pm 

Marag wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:

SS has some of my favorite Autopsy songs, but overall I think Mental Funeral is their best

I love all Autopsy's material, but acts of the unspeakable is my favourite album by them.

I just listened to the new Suffocation and Darkthrone, and they're both fantastic. Haven't listened to much new metal at all this year, and evidently I need to! Beginning of Sorrow is one of Suffo's best tracks. Also gone past 70k plays on last fm today

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:44 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I had a moment of completely accidental racism yesterday. I was in the practice space's building's kitchen. The cook was black. As I was walking out with the food, for whatever reason I say "See ya BOY...er, man."

I still feel like an asshole.

At least you didn't... you know... quote a certain word from Django Unchained...

On the topic of the Oscars, The Onion was lambasted for calling 9-year old actress Quvenzhané Wallis "a cunt". But if she grows up and is anything like Lindsay Lohan, or any number of child stars that grew up into complete failures, I say The Onion has every right to say, "Called it, bitches!"

Or she could grow up and be like Drew Barrymore, whose worst crime is the movie Beverly Hills Chihuahua.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:14 pm 

A dude in the rec central wrote that:
Quote:
My perfect band would be Suffo/Defeated Sanity brutality and technicality, but with the rhythmically progressive edge of Meshuggah, plus DT style composition and melody, as well as their instrumental duels and solos, along with Gojira/Meshuggah grooves, black metal influence, jazz fusion, folk/oriental shit and all types of extreme vocals used (minus core) as well as aggressive cleans.

My reaction:

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:23 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
Or she could grow up and be like Drew Barrymore, whose worst crime is the movie Beverly Hills Chihuahua.

Are you joking, I can't tell. Barrymore was in rehab at like 12 or something.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:23 pm 

Also, she was in that TV movie version of Babes in Toyland with Keanu Reeves.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:31 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Quote:
My perfect band would be Suffo/Defeated Sanity brutality and technicality, but with the rhythmically progressive edge of Meshuggah, plus DT style composition and melody, as well as their instrumental duels and solos, along with Gojira/Meshuggah grooves, black metal influence, jazz fusion, folk/oriental shit and all types of extreme vocals used (minus core) as well as aggressive cleans.

My reaction:

bawson ):
I got a brain tumor imagining this stuff

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:49 pm 

I can sort of picture how all of that would work, but not in any real homogeneous way. Itd require a lot of sections and building to each different style, in some cases merging them. Basically every song would be 10 minutes (minimum).
Hehe, foreskins.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:52 pm 

That's every single contradictory genre rolled into one.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:20 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:

Are you joking, I can't tell. Barrymore was in rehab at like 12 or something.

No one's perfect.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:12 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Quote:

My reaction:

Defeated Sanity and Dream Theater? Why the fuck would anyone want to hear brutal death metal modified for friendly use on HGTV?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:13 am 

Maybe he really just wants to hear a 30 minute death metal song with a zillion time changes in it.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:17 am 

Well, DT's apparent "musical genius" and "technicality" goes unnoticed by me as I instead commonly rant on their cheesy musical tone.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:19 am 

Images and Words is a goddamned classic.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:20 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Images and Words is a goddamned classic.

Yet we seem to share animosity towards Scenes From a Memory.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:23 am 

That's pretty much the only one of theirs I hate. I have a bit of a differing opinion from most as my other favorite is Octavarium.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:24 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Quote:

My reaction:

I like how after he asks for everything he possibly can to be included in one band, he specifically excludes -core vocals from the extreme vocals he wants. Gotta keep that metal street cred up.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:27 am 

He left out those nu-metal JUMPDAFUCKUP passages as well.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:28 am 

I don't hate any of DT's records honestly. I just don't listen to all of them equally. For example, I never listen to Falling into Infinity or Octavarium (although Octavarium's songs I do enjoy much more), while I will never get old of BC&SL, Scenes from a Memory, or Train of Thought.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:51 am 

The debut, Images and Words, Awake, and Scenes from a Memory all rule, not to mention the fact that Live at the Marquee is one of the best live records ever done by a metal band. That's as far as I'll defend the DT crew, though. Beyond that..... Eh.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:52 am 

Awake always kind of bored me to be honest. Except the first couple songs.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:53 am 

Thought I might take a moment to recommend some recent quality blackened death metal that might've slipped under quite a few radars here: Embrace of Thorns' Praying for Absolution. It's not boundary-pushing by any stretch, but it's very confidently executed, solid bestial goatfuckery that I'm sure would be right up several of your streets and I would be remiss in failing to comment on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-8T-0wUW2k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGv85XoJr5A

You're welcome. And good night! May you sleep well, next to your goats.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:58 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Awake always kind of bored me to be honest. Except the first couple songs.

I can imagine how it would bore you, but I don't know..... It kinda has the same appeal Metallica's Justice holds for me; cold, mechanical, bitter, and full of rage and frustration (although the rage is, if anything, very subtle). It's kinda overlong, yes, but that only bothers me if I'm not in the mood for it.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:00 am 

Yeah, good album, U_S. I got it when I bought some stuff on NWN during their xmas sale. Probably, the worst album I got from that haul though. I'm too lazy to type them so here's the pic I posted on the Purchases thread. This Ignivomous album is the shit!

http://i.imgur.com/X44Qg.jpg?2

I won't enter the DT discussion since I'll slap Empyreal again.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:01 am 

There's really not much to say about the greatness and technical prowess of Dream Theater, but I think they've become much more mechanical with each release specially Petrucci's guitar has lost the feeling it used to generate. I enjoy all of their albums more or less, Images and Words is definitely a favourite followed by Scenes From a Memory, Awake and Train of Thought, which is probably the heaviest 'prog metal' album I've ever listened.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:03 am 

I need to check out some of DT's early stuff, so long as it actually has more than just worthless time changes and some degree of musicality to it. I liked Octavarium for well-done ballads and overall catchiness when I first heard it at 15, I haven't heard anything else though

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:13 am 

OK, it seems there's a non-priest crazy old woman Lutheran exorcist getting attention in Finland. I'm so proud of my country again.

The combination of the Middle Ages and antibiotics is kinda cool, I guess, but I still can wear plate armour and carry one of those spiked flails at work, which is a bummer.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 821, 822, 823, 824, 825, 826, 827  Next