Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:45 pm 

http://www.rememberaaronsw.com/
26 years is no age ... :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

http://soupsoup.tumblr.com/post/40373383323/official-statement-from-the-family-and-partner-of
Quote:
Aaron’s death is not simply a personal tragedy. It is the product of a criminal justice system rife with intimidation and prosecutorial overreach. Decisions made by officials in the Massachusetts U.S. Attorney’s office and at MIT contributed to his death. The US Attorney’s office pursued an exceptionally harsh array of charges, carrying potentially over 30 years in prison, to punish an alleged crime that had no victims. Meanwhile, unlike JSTOR, MIT refused to stand up for Aaron and its own community’s most cherished principles.

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

you can just shake your head over such a tragedy.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:48 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
BSS. Your stupid shit was mostly intensely naive and oblivious, rather than sexist and offensive, so that's a positive.

Yeah, ever since you guys gave me that asskicking back then I've learned to keep my mouth shut about things I'm not qualified to speak on. I wonder if Civil will be similar.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:52 pm 

For the life of me I have no idea who that is or what that site is about or why the justice system is to be blamed...

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:09 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
http://www.rememberaaronsw.com/
26 years is no age ... :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

http://soupsoup.tumblr.com/post/40373383323/official-statement-from-the-family-and-partner-of
Quote:
Aaron’s death is not simply a personal tragedy. It is the product of a criminal justice system rife with intimidation and prosecutorial overreach. Decisions made by officials in the Massachusetts U.S. Attorney’s office and at MIT contributed to his death. The US Attorney’s office pursued an exceptionally harsh array of charges, carrying potentially over 30 years in prison, to punish an alleged crime that had no victims. Meanwhile, unlike JSTOR, MIT refused to stand up for Aaron and its own community’s most cherished principles.

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

you can just shake your head over such a tragedy.

It's tragic what happened to Aaron. I didn't know much about him apart from reading the stuff in the news. He was a robin hood to the internet community. Regarding the charges on him, I think there there should be alternate punishments for cyber crimes especially when there is no angle of physically harming a person and when the outcome of a 'victim' isn't death. I know that it can be argued that the harm here is in terms of money but all I'm saying that is that cybercrime punishments should be treated differently.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:12 pm 

"Transcendence Into The Peripheral" played at 45 is my new favorite metal record of all time. If I had the resources I'd rip it at that speed and upload it. It doesn't just sound like "X played faster/slower", it sounds like a completely different band fucking NAILING a dark, hateful, and pantshittingly heavy sound. I seriously can't think of anything else I've heard that even sounds close.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:17 pm 

Has anybody encountered dvds/games that have an unusual smell. I'm under the impression that they are fine to keep in a collection as long as they don't smell of smoke.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:24 pm 

My Cathedral - The Gardens of Unearthly Delights is supposed to smell like green apple when it's played, it's not the case for me :(

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:27 pm 

Same here Tony. I want my apple-scented Cathedral. :cry:

Obligatory Last FM Link

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:41 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
My Cathedral - The Gardens of Unearthly Delights is supposed to smell like green apple when it's played, it's not the case for me :(

:???: :???: :???:

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:49 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
"Transcendence Into The Peripheral" played at 45 is my new favorite metal record of all time. If I had the resources I'd rip it at that speed and upload it. It doesn't just sound like "X played faster/slower", it sounds like a completely different band fucking NAILING a dark, hateful, and pantshittingly heavy sound. I seriously can't think of anything else I've heard that even sounds close.

Sounds like an interesting listen.

On a somewhat related note, my brother discovered that playing Bruce Springsteen LPs at 45 sounds like Meat Loaf. Exactly. Like. Meat Loaf.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:02 pm 

Hey Atrocious Mutilation, how did you get your custom title?

KITTY SO PUFFY... lol

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:07 pm 

^ Either inspired by puffy fluffy kittehs such as - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... VRm3mKCypw Or he loves this label - http://www.facebook.com/KittyPuffyShop

But heck, anything about cats is awesome :)

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:27 pm 

Dragunov wrote:

If I had that album on vinyl I would try that out, cause that sounds pretty awesome.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:31 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
Hey Atrocious Mutilation, how did you get your custom title?

KITTY SO PUFFY... lol

It's an inside joke of our fb group, it's based on IX Leviathan's cat, Steve French. I'm sure he wouldn't mind me posting a pic of him (he has his own fan page). During our g+ hangouts, Atrocious often says "KITTTTTTTY SO PUFFFFFY" :)

Spoiler: show

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:39 pm 

KITTY SO PUFFY.

Anyways, yeah, Rog gets pretty excited when Steve French comes out to play... occasionally, some might sat, overly so.

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:49 pm 

BloodSacrificeShaman, long time no talk man. How have you been?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:35 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Same here Tony. I want my apple-scented Cathedral. :cry:

Eeeeeeeh, not to sound like an asshole, but guys..... Are you high? I mean it.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:40 pm 

No, the disc actually smells like apple in a cd player when it gets warmed up. Mine never has, though.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Last edited by GuntherTheUndying on Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:40 pm 

Maybe before asking if the exact comment of two persons (two very cool persons too) is ridiculous, you should do 15 seconds of research on the net and check for yourself (hint: it's even on MA). Ehhhhh, I don't care if I sound like an asshole!

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:50 pm 

Hey Tony, no need to lose it. It's just that the idea of apple scented albums is..... Well, fucking weird. Again, sorry if I sounded insulting. It wasn't my intention.

Besides, doom albums should be lavender-scented. Everyone knows that!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:00 am 

Cathedral is a weird band, so it fits. I'm not losing it, I'm simply annoyed by easy to find informations and lazy people who can't be bothered to find them and prefer to wait for someone to tell them all the answers. /pedantic rant (I still like you)

Check the cd itself, yes it's weird, but it wasn't quite random as it fits the theme and the artwork. I own the digipack version of this album!

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:02 am 

Speaking of Cathedral, I'm very excited for that new album that comes out in a few months. Sad it's going to be their last one though.

Obligatory Last FM Link

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:10 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Cathedral is a weird band, so it fits. I'm not losing it, I'm simply annoyed by easy to find informations and lazy people who can't be bothered to find them and prefer to wait for someone to tell them all the answers. /pedantic rant (I still like you)

:-D :-D :-D
Metantoine wrote:
the cd itself, yes it's weird, but it wasn't quite random as it fits the theme and the artwork. I own the digipack version of this album!

Might as well check it out. Haven't listened to much Cathedral beyond Forest of Equilibrium though. Has their sound changed a lot since their debut?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:11 am 

I don't think I've ever heard a Cathedral song. On an unrelated note Darkthrone's Circle the Wagons is awesome, just the pure embodiment of old school metal killing.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:12 am 

They added stoner elements and their mood changed from bleak and mournful to upbeat and fun, somewhat. I think most if not all of their albums are great.

Empy, you should. They are fantastic.

Obligatory Last FM Link

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:18 am 

Mmmmmm, that sounds like quite the drastic change.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:19 am 

It is and it isn't. They make it feel natural.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:20 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Mmmmmm, that sounds like quite the drastic change.

It wasn't too much of a diversion, though. Darkthrone has always had a pretty coherent flow through their discography, even amid some fairly divisive evolutions. Circle the Wagons is cool. The title song is also one of the catchiest things ever.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:24 am 

I was actually talking about Cathedral, Detector :lol:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:35 am 

Of course, the debut is their only album in this genre. Dorrian's voice is also weirder on the other albums, he's an acquired taste but I personally <3 him. I also can't wait for the new album and I'm still sad I missed their last show ever in North America (MDF 2 years ago)

/me moves from his couch to his desk to plug his external hard drive and copies Cathedral's discography to his laptop.

Here's a brief rundown of their disco. Do check them out, they're one of my favorite bands. Ah yeah, be sure to check their EPs too, Soul Sacrifice is really cool.

-FoE: weird slow doom with some death influences (my future backpatch for my 2nd vest!)
-The Ethereal Mirror, The Carnival Bizarre: faster groovier doom/stoner (their two best albums imo)
-Supernatural Birth Machine and Caravan of Redemption: Been a while since I heard these, they're a bit more stonerish and rockier.
-The VIIth Coming and The Garden of Unearthly Delights are way darker and doomier than their post FoE stuff, still groovy though
-But their heavier album and darkiest album is Endtyme. It's really crushing. Check the first 6 minutes or so, I couldn't find Melancholy Emperor on yt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpMwg7S52cs
-The Guessing Game is very different, check the review by this expert (he's handsome) http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/C ... Metantoine

That's it, sorry for that. I feel like doing a marathon of their stuff now.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:52 am 

fetalfeast wrote:
BloodSacrificeShaman, long time no talk man. How have you been?

I've been fine dude, thanks for asking. Been lurking the site since I stopped posting ages ago and decided as long as I watch my mouth, it should be cool to come back on. Feels good to start posting again though, it really is a great community.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:58 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
I was actually talking about Cathedral, Detector :lol:

LOL, I just realized my mistake. I would have caught that had I noticed the word sludge... :-P

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:58 am 

You got my attention, Tony. I simply guess that I'll be giving Cathedral some of my time for the next few days! Besides, I need a change in rhythm. Been listening to fucktons of heavy and power metal* for the last couple of months, giving the other sub-genres only marginal attention, so going into a bit of a doom binge might be just what I need!

*Heavy and power metal are still bloody fucking awesome though. In fact, they replaced thrash as my favorite metal sub-genre, something I would've never imagined.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:40 am 

Yep, never liked Cathedral. Hate the vocals, am unmoved by the riffs.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:51 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Yep, never liked Cathedral. Hate the vocals, am unmoved by the riffs.

It's a well known fact that your taste sucks though! (this post is as pertinent as yours)

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:54 am 

Don't be a dick Tony, it's not becoming of you. I was simply bringing up how overrated I find one of the sacred cows.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:01 am 

And I tend to agree. Apart from the awesome Soul Sacrifice ep, I found their stuff a tad tedious. The Forest Of Equilibrium was ok in places, but never seemed to fully grab a hold of me, same goes for the atrocious The Ethereal Mirror which I quickly traded on after really trying with it, but to no avail - it rubbed my scales the wrong way. Never seen the need to revisit...

My collection

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:05 am 

What, mate? Can't hear ya!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:05 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Don't be a dick Tony, it's not becoming of you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKedRiHhnUk
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:46 am 

My views towards Cathedral are exactly the same as Necro's.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 757, 758, 759, 760, 761, 762, 763 ... 827  Next