Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:32 am 

:tongue:

You know you're jealous...

My collection

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:51 am 

Subrick wrote:
Just finished writing a review for that Annotations EP. Here's a brief snippet of it.

Quote:
I know many will cry afoul at an absolute negative score of zero percent, just like many cry similarly afoul at a score of one hundred percent, but in the case of Dark Days there is no other score that fits the sheer lack of anything creative, original, interesting, listenable, or smart in this EP's 18 or so minutes of aural sodomy. There are only four songs, but every single one of them run together 99.99998% of the time. Every slam, every chuggachugga breakdown, every lame attempt at sounding "brutal" sounds exactly like the one that just came before it. This is an album built upon the false idea that more slamming = more brutal. Sorry to break it to you Emmure wannabes, but playing mid-tempo range chugging with a production quality tailor made to make you sound as heavy as possible is not brutal. God of Emptiness is both brutal and haunting. Cannibal Corpse is brutal. Dark Days is not brutal. Dark Days does not deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as "brutal". Each song, while being incredibly stupid as a whole, has its own standout moment where you just pause your audio player and facepalm as hard as you possibly can. The pinnacle moment of stupidity in this regard comes on the very first track, "Buried in a Bad Rep"; at about :57 we hear a choir of gang vocal bros shout in the lamest, most uninterested manner possible, "SO SUCK MY FUCKING DICK!". It's moments like this that really make me wonder why it had to be Chuck Schuldiner and Quorthon that died young. We really need them nowadays.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Glad to have you on the front lines of the war, defending real music from these newjack punkSs!!

Speaking of which, seems the Death to All tour is coming back again this year. Should be cool:
Spoiler: show
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:02 am 

Yeah guys, if Chuck Schuldiner and Quorthon were still around, the musical evolution of all the genres I dislike would have ground to a halt! Just one wave of their magical fingers and all the falseness in metal would have been swept away in a glorious torrent!

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:40 am 

sitting here watching the birds foraging for food in the snow, listening to einsamkeit. It's eerily silent, ethereal.

Thinking of you lot sweating your bollocks off in Australia :-D

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:02 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Man, Under_Starmere and CrushedRevelation's bromance is getting super gay.

You and Frog could double date with them :D

Bobby_Typhoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:37 am 

Just emailed my great-grandmother to tell her that having another minor stroke is rather selfish of her, because since I am deployed I can't be there to take her to church again just to ensure my place in the inheritance chain is at the top! I'm sure she'll enjoy that and since laughter is the best medicine I think I did more for her than the docs in the city with their X-ray machines and catheters.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:25 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
In other news, I posit to you all a question. Have you ever stumbled across an album whose cover art was so brazenly stupid that you just had to hear what the band sounded like? My last one before five minutes ago was Merciless Conquest by Morbid Carnage. I mean really, a werewolf preacher with an assault rifle in a graveyard? "Man, that's like if you got a third grader stoned and asked him what the coolest thing ever was", I said to myself.

And then today, I found this:

The armored ostrich from Joust with fucking eyezerbeams?! If this ends up sucking, I'm sending the band an angry letter.

I've got one for you, Black Omen - Devil, I found this at Savers thrift store and the cover art was so astonishingly bad that I just had to buy it and check it out. I was expecting for a good laugh but was pleasantly surprised by what I heard, its not the greatest thing ever but it was definitely worth the $2 I paid for it. I don't know if you'll be able to find it or not seeing as how they're what I'm guessing to be a local and self produced band from Freeport Il and not here on the archives.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:48 pm 

Bobby_Typhoon wrote:
Just emailed my great-grandmother to tell her that having another minor stroke is rather selfish of her, because since I am deployed I can't be there to take her to church again just to ensure my place in the inheritance chain is at the top! I'm sure she'll enjoy that and since laughter is the best medicine I think I did more for her than the docs in the city with their X-ray machines and catheters.

Laughter: the newest New Age medicine.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:57 pm 

Bobby_Typhoon wrote:

:)

Really cool that you still have your great gramma. I never got to meet mine. Hope she gets better soon mate.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:14 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/A ... 65/Subrick

Full review of that Annotations EP is up.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:24 pm 

Subrick wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Annotations_of_an_Autopsy/Dark_Days/311465/Subrick

I don't think you understand what a slam is. If there were indeed slams on that EP, it wouldn't be nearly as awful as it currently is.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:33 pm 

Believe you me, if Chuck and Quorthon were still alive they would be leading this unwelcome 'musical evolution'.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:53 pm 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21103987

Failed assassination attempt on the leader of the Bulgarian party "the Movement for Rights and Freedoms" Wow, the guy sure was lucky. He also has some quick reflexes!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:39 pm 

Some of you may have already seen this. I found it hilarious.
Garfunkel and Oates - Fuck me in the ass because I love jesus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ36S3d1 ... r_embedded

Last edited by shouvince on Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:07 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
Believe you me, if Chuck and Quorthon were still alive they would be leading this unwelcome 'musical evolution'.

Sure they would. :rolleyes:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:22 pm 

So I was just at Half Priced Books doing a little browsing and there was a guy next to me talking to his friend saying he needed to expand his CD collection and literally the next thing out of his mouth was " ooohh Hawthorne Heights" I almost couldn't hold in my laughter.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:07 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:

Failed assassination attempt on the leader of the Bulgarian party "the Movement for Rights and Freedoms" Wow, the guy sure was lucky. He also has some quick reflexes!

Holy shit those guards were slow.
He was fucking lucky, that's for sure.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:20 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
henkkjelle wrote:

Holy shit those guards were slow.
He was fucking lucky, that's for sure.

Just saw the video. This guy's luck will not be topped this year. Definitely some slow ass security there.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:40 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:

Uncut footage of the attempt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYrY2PS4qSs

Both Ahmed Dogan and the assassin are lucky to be alive. People really stomped the shit out of that fucker. I chuckled at the old man who wanted to go at him by the time everyone stopped stomping on the guy.

Edit
I can't believe I let a grammar mistake stay up this whole time! :(

Last edited by Adriankat on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:05 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

You and Frog could double date with them :D

Spot on. :lol:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:01 pm 

You people should give The Cursed (Bobby Ellsworth's sadly short lived side project) a listen. It's very cool, groovy, and slightly sleazy heavy/doom/something. The music has a lot of attitude, and it's nice to hear Bobby out of his element for once. He sounds very natural singing more rockin', laid back material!

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:31 pm 

Adriankat wrote:

Both the Ahmed Dogan and the assassin are lucky to be alive. People really stomped the shit out of that fucker. I chuckled at the old man who wanted to go at him by the time everyone stopped stomping on the guy.

Ha, wow, they really went to town stomping on the guy. He deserved it, but it made for some good viewing.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:22 am 

So, that new Katalepsy record. It sounds like the first time I discovered Jungle Rot. Just, wow. Are there any other bands similar to their sound? Not sure what kind of death metal is, but it's super groovy, but not like Jungle Rot. Slam death? Not really sure what "slam" means.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:31 am 

Who cares about the dead guys, David Vincent is alive and fighting popular music by making unpopular music.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:41 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Who cares about the dead guys, David Vincent is alive and fighting popular music by making unpopular music.

Plus acting like a total clown in the process.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:41 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:

Plus acting like a total clown in the process.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:53 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Adriankat wrote:

Both the Ahmed Dogan and the assassin are lucky to be alive. People really stomped the shit out of that fucker. I chuckled at the old man who wanted to go at him by the time everyone stopped stomping on the guy.

Ha, wow, they really went to town stomping on the guy. He deserved it, but it made for some good viewing.

Oh man. I don't know about you guys but I laughed throughout the video. For starters, glad that no one got killed...but damn, the assailant would be feeling pretty darn stupid that the gun failed on him. Imagine his cell mates poking fun at him. It's now stuck with him for life. And all those old fogies trying to get a foot in at the assailant. Indeed, good viewing.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 am 

This...song...is fantastic :lol:. The best part is when he says "city burns like kike." Next time I go out to the bars I'm bringin an 80's boombox rigged up to loop it all damn night.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:40 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:

Scandal! Never shall you gain entry to our ultra-exclusive executive playa's club of metal brotherwarriors! :guns:

(Man-)Touching on the subject of Spectral Lore's Sentinel again, I have to say it's interesting to see an artist successfully take up the flame of artists like Blut Aus Nord to kindle his own unique vision. The French black metal influences on this album are obvious, but he really pushes the sound in his own direction and manages to create something really impressive with it, wisely eschewing bland worship and instead doing justice to those inspirational sources in exploring new and fertile creative territory. This is the sort of album that takes you a damn sight down the rabbit hole before you even begin to take stock of where you've already been. It sucks you in and surrounds you with its evolving constructions, unfolding its bewildering angles and planes like some elegant blossom, at times awing with breathtaking beauty. Plus you get some of the best extraplanetary drone work you're liable to hear on a metal album anywhere. Definitely one to look into, people!

http://spectrallore.bandcamp.com/album/sentinel-2

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:57 am 

^ That's one of the best albums of 2012. The 30 minute ambient track ("Atlus - A World Within a World") is absolutely breathtaking.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:08 am 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
Subrick wrote:
Best way to introduce yourself to classical music is Disney's Fantasia. It's where my interest in classical music began and it's just a damn good movie as well.

Plus the opening number in the movie is Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, which in my opinion is the greatest piece of music ever written.

Wasn't there two versions of that movie? I think there was one like many decades ago and fantasia 2000. Which one do you recommend?

Fantasia 2000 was the sequel. Originally it was gonna have at least 4 or 5 of the segments from Fantasia in it, but in the end only The Sorcerer's Apprentice was included from the first movie. 2000 came out in 1999, while the first movie came out in 1940.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:23 am 

Subrick wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Annotations_of_an_Autopsy/Dark_Days/311465/Subrick

Man AoAA's first album is pretty nice sounding. Idk how bands can evolve like that in such a short time.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:53 am 

Kim Dotcom's Megaupload is back in the form of cloud storage. Gonna upload all my mp3's and mkv's from my uh... family vacations, yeah, that's it!

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:07 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
Kim Dotcom's Megaupload is back in the form of cloud storage. Gonna upload all my mp3's and mkv's from my uh... family vacations, yeah, that's it!

This guy is my fucking hero.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:13 pm 

"Mega is going to be huge, and nothing will stop Mega – whoo!" a gleeful Dotcom bellowed from a giant stage set up in his yard, seconds before a helicopter roared overhead and faux police agents rappelled down the side of his mansion. Dotcom eventually ordered everyone to "stop this madness!" before breaking out into a dance alongside miniskirt-clad "guards" as music boomed.

:lol: Is there any footage of this?

edit

nvm, found it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4qObiU08Go

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:27 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Some of you may have already seen this. I found it hilarious.
Garfunkel and Oates - Fuck me in the ass because I love jesus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ36S3d1 ... r_embedded

Saw that a few days ago, laughed my ass off. :lol:

Obligatory Last FM Link

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:26 pm 

Australia gets it's hottest recorded weather, Québec gets a snowstorm that knocks down a bunch of trees. Go Québec.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:32 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
You could place anything in that X though, if you take it as a String variable...

GIANT asshole
GIANT anus
GIANT penis
Hehe, GIANT foreskins.

I guess that would be a private variable.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:22 pm 

Apparently the "assassin" in the Ahmed Dogan video used a gas pistol, a form of non-lethal weapon. Doesn't mean it's completely incapable of killing, though.

He still deserved to get his ass kicked though.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:19 pm 

I saw a helicopter hovering over a power line, and a guy balancing on the helicopters legs to work on a power line. Had to be one of the oddest things I have ever seen.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 766, 767, 768, 769, 770, 771, 772 ... 827  Next