Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:24 am 

grauer_mausling wrote:
the classic: peppermint tea, preferably made from fresh peppermint leaves put into the hot water.

If it doesn't have camellia sinensis in it it isn't tea. Just sayin'

[/pointless elitism]
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:50 am 

Grunge is not even a legit subgenre. It was a 90's media invented fad, it has been discussed minutely on the 'Grunge' thread recently.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:07 am 

I used to wonder what Dave Suzuki was up to these days. With a little help from MA, I found out about Churchburn - a project between him and Ray (Grief). Well, it's somewhat sludgey-doom with some black metal influenced vocals. I've listened to their bandcamp but somehow it's not pushing me enough to buy the digital album. Check it out here.

http://churchburn.bandcamp.com/album/churchburn

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:14 am 

I listen to a lot of dsbm, Trist, Ancestral, Gris, and bands such as Katatonia and October Tide, but find Ok Computer really .. :ugh: for some reason, just thinking about it even.. :ugh:

Spoiler: show
:ugh:

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:00 am 

Bobby: Most anything from Twinings should set you up nicely. Earl Grey, English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast, Lady Grey, Lapsang Souchong, Prince of Wales...you can't go wrong! Though if you're deep in the sticks of Hicksville (or...Korea, alternatively), you may have to make do with something like PG Tips (The Lifeblood of England), which actually isn't half bad. I'd say as long as you've got some milk and honey on hand, most black teas will stand you in good stead. And though it probably has little bearing on your needs, I can wholeheartedly back the enthusiasm here for Moroccan mint tea. That shit is off the charts good.

Regarding Radiohead and The Beatles, neither of them have ever done much for me. No particular hatred here nor there... they're fine for what they are, but they just don't really speak to me, and aren't anything I'd ever consciously throw on except out of idle curiosity or desperation. The other day at work, though, I did have my first visceral twinge of distate for Paul McCartney off some radio from the next room. I'd have to firmly say that Paul McCartney is the factor I enjoy the least when it comes to The Beatles. He's got a fairly cloying musical touch.

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:36 am 

Never was a big Radiohead fan, particularly as they went deep into prog territory. Part of that I think was reactionary for me; You had a lot of indie rock types circa late 1990s looking for something a little more grandiose but who didn't want to dig very far into music. Radiohead basically became the de facto "smart rock band" in spite of doing a lot of thing pretty poorly IMO. Kid A is, IMO, unlistenable trash. Probably the most overrated album of any genre in the last 20 years. They had a certain pop sensibility early on that basically wasn't present in a lot of the space rock type bands of the 90s, which is basically why we talk about them and not, say, Bardo Pond. But by Kid A that was dead and gone.

The Beatles, meanwhile, are pretty much deserving of what's been said about them. Anyone who sits there and says "I hate The Beatles" is probably someone who is "trying too hard," as I'd put it. What they're trying at likely varies, but it isn't an opinion I can take seriously.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:12 pm 

Paul McCartney is a d-bag though. Can't stand any of his solo stuff.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:23 pm 

Listening to OK Computer. Bit more mellow than I'm used to in the mornings, but definitely good. I'll have to take a walk or something listening to this. "Karma Police"...man, what a fucking good song. And "Paranoid Android," holy shit.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:32 pm 

I hated radiohead at first, but they're definitely a band that grew on me, even if I only listen to that album, and some songs from the first 2 albums. The other day I had no surprises on repeat while I was in the shower. Really good song. Want to listen to it now actually, will give the album a listen when I get back from the library. I'm at uni on cup final day, just a bit annoying.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:19 pm 

Has anyone seen that video of Radiohead "shredding?". I like them, but it's pretty amusing and not far from the truth!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:36 pm 

^ Man that's some great music! Maybe I should check them out after all.

Mysticaloldbard wrote:
pretty amusing and not far from the truth!

:???: What do you mean by that?

Edit: I think I understand now: You mean their music is a realist impression of the uncomfortable truth of inevitable human suffering, but in a cynically humoristic way! Yes, I agree :nods:

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:46 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
Grunge is not even a legit subgenre. It was a 90's media invented fad, it has been discussed minutely on the 'Grunge' thread recently.

You could say that about a lot of genres though. It would be interesting to see a list of genres that didn't originate as some sort of media label.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:06 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Mysticaloldbard wrote:
pretty amusing and not far from the truth!

:???: What do you mean by that?

Edit: I think I understand now: You mean their music is a realist impression of the uncomfortable truth of inevitable human suffering, but in a cynically humoristic way! Yes, I agree :nods:

Exactly! Haha. I was joking really, I just thought it was a spot-on parody.

Bobby_Typhoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:36 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Bobby: Most anything from Twinings should set you up nicely. Earl Grey, English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast, Lady Grey, Lapsang Souchong, Prince of Wales...you can't go wrong! Though if you're deep in the sticks of Hicksville (or...Korea, alternatively), you may have to make do with something like PG Tips (The Lifeblood of England), which actually isn't half bad. I'd say as long as you've got some milk and honey on hand, most black teas will stand you in good stead. And though it probably has little bearing on your needs, I can wholeheartedly back the enthusiasm here for Moroccan mint tea. That shit is off the charts good.

Well I will have to check the stores, but hopefully Wichita is large enough that I can find most of the types of tea you all have recommended. Though if I ever venture back to Korea I would probably just have to live off of what I can pick up at the base commissary. Thanks again everybody.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:37 pm 

So I'm partially in charge of setting up a massive frat party on St. Patty's day which I'll probably also be DJing for. It should be fun, we're charging $10 at the door for all you can drink beer and green jesus. The only downside is I have Irish heritage and I won't be able to get drunk until 1 30.

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:40 pm 

Mysticaloldbard wrote:
Has anyone seen that video of Radiohead "shredding?". I like them, but it's pretty amusing and not far from the truth!
That's pretty amusing. I'm not the biggest fan of them, but whoever overdubbed the performance almost hit the nail on the head.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:23 pm 

So there's this huge fire an hour or so away from me and due to the geography of my location everything has been funneled into the valley. It smells like ass... And by tomorrow all the smoke will be blown into town and trapped until it settles.

Fun.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:46 pm 

Ah damn, now you get to stay indoors and watch shit on tv the Oscars!

Anywho, I lost my guitar pick :( And I had only one remaining. Ugh. Prior to that, I was attempting to play 'Eternal Nightmare' by Vio-lence. I love songs which don't need change in tuning. Everything in standard E! Needless to say, you can tell I'm still very much an amateur. Boy, that song is fast as fuck...I can feel my right wrist ache a bit now.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:51 pm 

Went to a flea market in Duncansville today with a guy who will sell copies (burned CDs) of albums. Must I have to go to the big cites in order to find good selection at flea markets? :roll: My best experience was one up around the Harrisburg area.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:52 pm 

iAm wrote:
So there's this huge fire an hour or so away from me and due to the geography of my location everything has been funneled into the valley. It smells like ass... And by tomorrow all the smoke will be blown into town and trapped until it settles.

fun.

Some Nights.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:18 pm 

I remember many years ago there was a wildfire in Canada that was so bad it wafted all the way south to Pennsylvania. The smell of burning was in the air, and I just thought to myself, "That might be the smell of maple trees burning and caribou dying, eh?"

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:31 pm 

Does anyone know what the hell is going on with Deathevokation? They've released their debut in 2007, which was a goddamn masterpiece, but haven't done much else since, save for a few very short splits.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:24 pm 

iAm wrote:

Fun.

Damn man, that sucks. There's been a lot of fires where I live, down in Tasmania, Aus. Not exactly the most pleasant way to get into the year, for sure.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:27 pm 

Metal.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:31 pm 

EDIT 2: Someone else has pointed out that Noktorn stated that his middle name started with a D, whereas this guy's is apparently an R. So this might just be a freak coincidence and this might not actually be him. Read the following with a hefty helping of skepticism. Yeah cosmic coincidence, it seems. Disregard.

So hey, if any of you guys were wondering about Noktorn/SharpAndSlender and what happened to him...looks like he's been arrested and put on $10,000 bond.

Actually, this explains why he suddenly decided to sell all of his CDs and then abruptly disappeared. Fucking weird world.

EDIT: apparently he's been out since then but got arrested again in October 2012 (thanks to dystopia4 for being a fellow snoop): http://florida.arrests.org/Arrests/Noah ... s_8667644/

Last edited by MalignantThrone on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:33 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Metal.

And really, what more needs to be said? That's some profound commentary right there.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:34 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
So hey, if any of you guys were wondering about Noktorn/SharpAndSlender and what happened to him...looks like he's been arrested and put on $10,000 bond.

Actually, this explains why he suddenly decided to sell all of his CDs and then abruptly disappeared. Fucking weird world.

OMFG

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:38 pm 

:lol:

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:40 pm 

I think this is him as well, it appears to be an arrest at a later date:
http://florida.arrests.org/Arrests/Noah ... s_8667644/

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:44 pm 

Man, he looks way older in that one. Poor dude doesn't age well under stress, it seems.

Noktorn, if you can read this from your cell, I'm trying my best to be MA's resident slam wigger/shitty music lover in your absence! :(

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:46 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
So I'm partially in charge of setting up a massive frat party on St. Patty's day which I'll probably also be DJing for. It should be fun, we're charging $10 at the door for all you can drink beer and green jesus. The only downside is I have Irish heritage and I won't be able to get drunk until 1 30.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padraig

you have Irish heritage but you confuse St. Patrick with Selma's sister on the Simpsons?

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:46 pm 

I don't share his tastes, but he was a really good reviewer. I wonder what happened, all I could tell from the link is it had something to do with stolen property.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:48 pm 

Scorntyrant wrote:
you have Irish heritage but you confuse St. Patrick with Selma's sister on the Simpsons?

Ah shit, that's right.

:oh shit:

Edit: Alright now things are getting weird. Here's something else that says he was arrested for burglary and grand theft in 2007 and released from prison in 2009.

http://mugshots.com/US-Counties/Florida ... 3/details/

I'm not sure if Florida has three strikes law, but if they do Noktorn may be a bit screwed as his 2012 arrest would appear to be his third arrest (I think 2 of the times he was charged with 2 things).

Last edited by Thumbman on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:54 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:

What the fuck

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:04 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:

EDIT: apparently he's been out since then but got arrested again in October 2012 (thanks to dystopia4 for being a fellow snoop): http://florida.arrests.org/Arrests/Noah ... s_8667644/

It appears that this might be the wrong guy, Noktorn is Noah D Richards and not Noah Roberts Richards. From his blog:
Quote:
I am Noah D. Richards of Bradenton, Florida.

(credit to Rapethedead for figuring that out)

Last edited by Thumbman on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:04 pm 

That is so incredibly funny and unexpected. I love how he looks ten times happier in the second one for no apparent reason.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:09 pm 

Yeah man. I don't think that's him. Huh. I literally just un-friended him on facebook today just because he hadn't talked in forever, so I dunno, maybe it is. I don't remember what he looked like, save the long-ass hair.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:13 pm 

That other Noah was incarcerated in 2009, and Noktorn has tons of posts from that time frame. Pretty sure it's not him, guys. :rolleyes: You've been pranked. Unless Florida prisons offer daily Internet access, and no curfews and allows inmates to post at 1 or 2 AM...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:16 pm 

Yup, MalignantThrone and I are just idiots. Move along, nothing to see here. It is a pretty crazy coincidence, though.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:19 pm 

Throney was just looking for meaning, for a reason behind his idol's senseless disappearance. Now he sinks back into the terror of not knowing. Of not knowing and wondering...

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 819, 820, 821, 822, 823, 824, 825 ... 827  Next