Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ericfg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:10 pm 

I'm a big Genesis fan, especially the older stuff with Steve Hackett and of course Peter Gabriel.
Steve Hackett had recent released 'Genesis Revisted II' and since I loved the first album I jumped on this new release. I've had this album for a month now and cannot stop playing 'Supper's Ready'. That tune is just amazing; it blows me away. Today I decided to find out who the vocalist was on that particular track as Hackett often employs guest musicians on these two albums. Mostly prog guys, naturally.
But imagine my surprise when I googled the vocalist for 'Supper's Ready'.... No way I was ready for that; Mikael Åkerfeldt of Opeth! I'm not much a fan of DM but I have at least heard of the band. Now I just have to check them out. (Recommendations anyone?).
And BTW, for any old-school prog fans Steve Rothery just freakin' wails on the solos on 'The Lamia'! Just like the old days!
Not very "metal", this post. If mods want to move it elsewhere please feel free to do so.

Almost forgot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtOg-CApS3o

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:37 pm 

Seems more like FFA material.
Anyway, Genesis started to suck after Peter Gabriel left.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

RedAnkh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:42 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:

Good thing Supper's Ready is from the album Foxtrot, so I guess your post is pretty pointless?

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:05 am 

You're aware that Akerfeldt is nuts for 70s prog, right? He's basically devoting his life to it of late, between Heritage and Storm Corrosion.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:20 am 

RedAnkh wrote:
MrMcThrasher II wrote:

Good thing Supper's Ready is from the album Foxtrot, so I guess your post is pretty pointless?

I don't see how my point is pointless. I was just summarizing my feelings on Genesis. Learn to read.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:27 am 

Your post was quite useless to be honest and it wasn't quite related to the thread, MrMc. But yeah, I'll move this to the Tavern.

Also, there's actually nothing with Mike to appear there, as it been said by ENKC, quite the opposite, actually. Haven't heard the track, I'll do so soon as I'm big fan of both the song and Mike.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:38 pm 

Foxtrot is a good album but one I listened to sparingly. I have to be in the right mood. That said, I haven't heard it in ages. Mikael sounds good here and his style actually stretches from his latest Opeth album, I'm hearing some more varied singing from him on this track (and before you shoot me down, yes, I'm aware there are multiple vocalists performing). His clean vocals have been shining since Heritage; I've heard more than one person say they never knew how good his voice was before, especially when the new songs are played live. I'm expecting him to expand his palette on subsequent releases.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:54 pm 

Mm, this gets me moist. It shant be long before he and Wilson start their own label and house a bunch of projects fronted by refugees from old forgotten prog bands, as well as their own splendiferous shenanigans.

I want Akerfeldt to release a solo album of mostly acoustic stuff. An Evening With Akerfeldt it will be called. He'll be on the cover with a glass of wine and an acoustic guitar, fireside in the thick of the woods. Oh yes. And he'll croon tunes of sparse beauty and haunting, melancholy metaphysical contemplation. Martin Barre and Steve Hackett will have some guest solos.

AND IT WILL BE GOOD DAMMIT AND YOU WILL BUY IT AND I WILL BUY IT TOO AND WE WILL ALL LAUGH ABOUT HOW WE THOUGHT IT JUST WOULDN'T BE ANY DAMN GOOD.

Ericfg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:03 pm 

ENKC wrote:
You're aware that Akerfeldt is nuts for 70s prog, right? He's basically devoting his life to it of late, between Heritage and Storm Corrosion.

I was not, at all. Just stumbled acrossed him as I said in my first post. I am listening to 'Heritage' right now and WoW, metal this ain't! But I mean that in a good way.
If this Opeth material has the dynamics and production values of good 70s/80s prog than count me a new fan. Does it/do they? Production values or sound quality, I mean? It's so hard to tell from a youtube stream.

Ericfg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:46 pm 

johnny jackass wrote:

Thanks so much for sharing that opinion. The internet would be such a cold and impersonal place without insightful and, uh, totally obliviously obvious posts such as yours. Keep up the good work my friend, you are making a difference! The lowest common denominator is your for the asking.

(yeah, I know I got trolled. But once in a while I just got to respond, just for S&Gs)

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:02 am 

Yeah, no, I'll just stick with the original, thanks. Peter Gabriel has one of those totally idiosyncratic voices that you can't really compare to. Akerfelt is a talented singer, sure, but his voice doesn't have at all the same character as Gabriel's, and it's that character that makes up a huge chunk of the song's appeal. I seriously winced when Akerfeldt went into some of those typical Gabrielesque passages. Some songs just shouldn't be covered.

Ericfg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:25 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Yeah, no, I'll just stick with the original, thanks. Peter Gabriel has one of those totally idiosyncratic voices that you can't really compare to.

No question about that. One of the main reasons Gabriel-era Genesis is so awesome
Quote:
Akerfelt is a talented singer, sure, but his voice doesn't have at all the same character as Gabriel's, and it's that character that makes up a huge chunk of the song's appeal.

That's very true, again. But here's where I start to stray form the path: John Wetton did a lrage chunk of Hackett's first Genesis tribute album and he did a lot of stuff that I liked. He added a bit more of polished melody than....Pete's vox. In some cases I really liked what he did. Kind of like I like Peter's more poppy and melodic, post-Genesis solo material. In the long run, to me, it's all good and top-knotch prog.

Quote:
I seriously winced when Akerfeldt went into some of those typical Gabrielesque passages. Some songs just shouldn't be covered.

Like I said that one track just tickles my fancy. But it's just a matter of whatever floats one's boat, isn't it? :)
The thing that gets me though is that I was under the impression that Akerfelt and Opeth were a DM band. I wiki-searched him and was returned "DM" and then knowing Opeth was on this site I just figured he was part of the Nordic metal scene. Little did I know he and Opeth are barely considered metal. Not that that's a bad thing, quite the opposite actually. But here I was thinking we had a Lemmy or King Diamond or Halford stepping way out and doing something really outrageous.
My bad on that.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:47 am 

Ericfg wrote:
johnny jackass wrote:

Thanks so much for sharing that opinion. The internet would be such a cold and impersonal place without insightful and, uh, totally obliviously obvious posts such as yours. Keep up the good work my friend, you are making a difference! The lowest common denominator is your for the asking.

(yeah, I know I got trolled. But once in a while I just got to respond, just for S&Gs)

SO you'll bow down to me?

ANYWAY, slightly on topic, I LOVE Steve Hackett, but never listened to his solo material. Is it any good?

Ericfg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:12 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
I LOVE Steve Hackett, but never listened to his solo material. Is it any good?

Yes. The dude still rawks, hard.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:16 am 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:

I want Akerfeldt to release a solo album of mostly acoustic stuff. An Evening With Akerfeldt it will be called. He'll be on the cover with a glass of wine and an acoustic guitar, fireside in the thick of the woods. Oh yes. And he'll croon tunes of sparse beauty and haunting, melancholy metaphysical contemplation. Martin Barre and Steve Hackett will have some guest solos.

AND IT WILL BE GOOD DAMMIT AND YOU WILL BUY IT AND I WILL BUY IT TOO AND WE WILL ALL LAUGH ABOUT HOW WE THOUGHT IT JUST WOULDN'T BE ANY DAMN GOOD.

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Reply to topic