* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:15 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
andersbang wrote:
I've never played Arkham Horror, but some dude close to me is selling it for about half price, so I'm contemplating buying it and giving it a go. I haven't played many co op games, but enjoyed the ones I have. I haven't got any hard core board gaming buddies, but many casual ones, so I guess I won't be able to play it very often, since each game seems like quite an investment in time and energy, at least if you're not a regular board gamer or only play easy going ones. I love the Mythos though, and I'd like to try the game (though I can probably borrow it if I just want to give some time). What are you guys' thought about the game? (yes, in a perfect world I'd borrow the game and try it before buying, but this guy just put it up for sale, so if I want this one there won't be time for that)

Very complicated, but very cool game. I'd say go for it.

Of course though, if you don't know anyone who'd want to play a complex 4-5-hour long game, well... You can play on your own, controlling multiple characters, but that's not quite as fun.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm sure I can persuade some friends to try it, though probably not super duper often. Is it fun enough to play with one experienced guy if the rest of the players haven't tried it before, or is it too complicated? If yes, that means I can learn the rules and introduce people to the game and that gives me a lot of potential players compared to if it's only fun if you play it with experienced players.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:23 pm 

Arkham Horror isn't exactly complicated, it's more just many many many simple things that you need to remember, like what order things happen in, which of a small number of stats govern which of a small number of challenge types, what a handful of symbols mean, and just remembering to factor in modifiers correctly. There are a few edge cases where different unusual conditions interact in ambiguous ways, but it's an old enough and popular enough game that a very quick google search will usually yield instant answers.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:50 pm 

Thanks. I think I'm gonna buy it then

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:36 pm 

anyone else into Bolt Action? WW2 miniatures game published by Warlord Games. Had a great game last night running my Waffen SS against my mates elite Finnish army.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:15 pm 

andersbang wrote:
Thanks. I think I'm gonna buy it then

Just real quick before you do, have a look at how-to's of Eldritch Horror, the follow up. Apparently they're going to be discontinuing Arkham now that this is picking up.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:30 pm 

Yeah, they've already done 2 small and 2 big box expansions for Eldritch. From what I've read they do have some overlap, but have a different feel in some spots and mechanics. Enough anyway that many people prefer one over the other. The general consensus seems to be that Eldritch is a bit more streamlined, though I'd need to play a few more games of Arkham to really compare them in any meaningful way.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:19 am 

yeah, I'm likely to go with streamlined basically automatically, not to say I'd never play Arkham. I'm going to get to play EH for the first time next week or something like that, which I'm reeeeally looking forward to. Never played Arkham, so outside of Elder Sign, I'm new to the whole thing.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:41 am 

I didn't know that Eldritch Horror was going to "replace" Arkham, though I knew it was the newer game. My friend has EH, so I'm sure at some point I'll be able to draw a comparison. The clever investment wold probably be to put my chips on EH, if that is going to be continuously supported, but I'm poor at the moment and a new (both to me and the game's condition), big game at half price is too good to pass up, especially if AH is a good enough stand alone game (since expansions/continuous support won't be as important)

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:29 am 

Board games aren't like software, "discontinuing support" really doesn't mean anything. They already made a shitload of expansions for it and there's enough of a secondary market that even if they go out of print, you shouldn't have too much trouble picking them up.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:32 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
Have you had a chance to try Eldritch Horror, HellBlazer? I quite like it, I've picked up a couple of the expansions. I've only played a couple games of Arkham and that was quite a while ago so I don't really know it well enough to do a proper comparison of the two.

Yeah, it's pretty much Arkham Horror Lite. Very similar games, but everything is streamlined in Eldritch Horror. Less elements to the game, and less options, but in return it's simpler to grasp, and faster to play. *shrugs* I can see people preferring either for different reasons. For my personal taste, I'd rather get the full experience with Arkham, if I have the necessary time.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:37 pm 

Yeah, I haven't played Eldritch Horror but I have read a fair bit about it and checked out the rules and such, and for my money if I'm going to play a Lovecraft-themed cooperative boardgame, I'd also rather get the full experience. A big part of the appeal for these games for me at least is the mythos - I'm big into it, and more is better. Plus, the atmosphere of the game seems more Lovecraftian - a long arduous struggle against an ancient horror from beyond the veil, in which you painstakingly scrounge what little you can from a small New England town as you race to stem the tide of evil flooding the place.

If I want to play something smaller and quicker, I'd rather turn to a different style of game altogether, with a theme that fits a smaller and quicker game length, like Pandemic or Ghost Stories.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:13 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
A big part of the appeal for these games for me at least is the mythos - I'm big into it, and more is better. Plus, the atmosphere of the game seems more Lovecraftian - a long arduous struggle against an ancient horror from beyond the veil, in which you painstakingly scrounge what little you can from a small New England town as you race to stem the tide of evil flooding the place.

Yeah, I’ve heard people say that the Lovecraftian theme and atmosphere feel a bit stronger when it’s confined to a single town rather than spread out across sometimes arbitrary locations. On the flipside, a lot of places in EH have their own unique set of encounters so you’ll get differently themed events for Tunguska or Shanghai or San Francisco, which is kind of neat. I also really like the double-sided card mechanic, (which I’m pretty sure isn’t in AH?) where you’ve got conditions like madness or injury or a dark pact that have the same fronts but when prompted to flip them over they vary in how bad the effect is. So sometimes you can get lucky and scrape by whereas other times you get swallowed by the void, or go bonkers and get thrown into an asylum.

Anyway. I’ve got a friend who owns Arkham and a bunch of the expansions, I’ll have to see if he wants to play sometime.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:01 am 

I'll probably end up playing both, since it wasn't the same designers doing both. I'd like to see Arkham all the way through, even though it does seem exhausting. I'm to imagine, though, that a lot of the experience depends on the group one plays with. Stands to reason, obvi, but I'd say the role that interpersonal dynamics play really start to matter around hour 3.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:37 am 

So I bought Arkham Horror and am going to play my first game this week. Three man game, I think just one of the other guys have tried it before, but we will have plenty of time, dedication and beers, so I'm sure we'll manage even though the rulebook seems pretty daunting after a casual flick-through.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:56 am 

Daunting is right. Read the rule book as much as you can before you start. There will be loads of "wait hold on wat?" as it is. 3 hour game turns into 6 hour wtf-fest.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:33 pm 

The main thing to keep in mind is the most immediate goal is SEALING THOSE GATES, with closing them being a close second. You need 5 Clue Tokens to seal a gate, which puts a marker on the space which prevents further gates from opening there. If you get a few of those down, it becomes much more likely that a gate won't open at all on subsequent turns, which makes the game much much easier. It also contributes to certain win conditions - if you close the last gate and have a certain number of trophies (I forget how many), you win instantly. This is by far the easiest and most reliable way to win the game.

Don't get bogged down trying to kill every monster on the board. Avoiding the toughest ones is often a good idea, unless you're assured of victory.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:38 pm 

Good advice. Kind of reminds me of the campaign scenarios of Rebel Assault we just won. Barely. If we had stopped to kill everything we would have run out of time or been overrun. We barely made the timer. It was really tense. I mean .. it's a board game, but it was really tense.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:40 am 

So we had the first game of Arkham Horror, six hours of play (all of us were new to the game) with three guys - The Drifter, The Professor and The Dilettante (though the guy playing The Drifter had to leave after 4 hours, leaving just two of us to finish the battle). We won by sealing the gates (we also played against Nyarlathotep which seems like one of the "easier" ancient ones). We forgot a little bit here and there in the first half of the game, flicking through the rulebook etc, but after a while it went pretty fluidly. It was a great game and I look forward to exploring it even more with different Ancient Ones and investigators etc

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:03 am 

Yeah, Nyarlathotep can be hard or easy depending on how many of the Mask monsters you draw. If you get lucky and don't draw any, or only get them late, it can be pretty easy. If you get a bunch early, it can fuck your game. I personally don't like him for that reason, too random.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:34 pm 

What do you guys think of the immersion comparison between Arkham and Eldritch Horror? I got a look in the EH box the other day and while it is reportedly more streamlined and somewhat shorter to play, I was disappointed that it didn't seem to have the same aesthetic texture. Different designers, as it turns out, which I didn't know before.

I'm finding thematic strength to be a major contributor to my enjoyment of a game. Mechanics alone don't seem to be enough.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:40 pm 

(Cross-posting from the VG thread):

Well, this is a thing...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/st ... escription

Funded in 3 min, currently at almost 4x its original goal as of this posting. Damn.

Way expensive though. Not sure if want... o_O

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:57 pm 

Ehhh yeah, around 140 CAD? That is definitely up there... not completely unreasonable for a miniature tabletop game but for that price they had better be some damn good components!

It looks fairly similar to the D&D Adventure System games, from what I can tell. Presumably it will have a fair bit more to it if they are going to bring the promised Dark Souls difficulty.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:58 pm 

Yeah for a board game company without large-scale distribution and manufacturing capabilities and lots of fiddly bits that's not outlandish. Economies of scale work against them. There are some niche indie board gaming companies that regularly charge a comparable amount, like Splotter Spellen. Too much for me to dump on an unproven product, though.

C'mon Morrigan, take a chance! You know you want to!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:00 am 

But... why would I play this, when I can play the video games instead? :D

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:15 am 

I've talked a little bit about Blood Bowl Team Manager before, but I can't recommend this game enough. I've played it a lot lately and just bought expansion pack # 2 which is a great addition. It's basically violent American football with Warhammer Fantasy races, but with focus on the entire team througout a "season" instead of just a single match. It's pretty fast and has a great balance between fun action ("My Orc Blitzer tackles your Wood Elf Thrower") and strategy. There's a lot of risk-reward considerations. The basic game has six different teams, and each of the two expansions has three more, so there's a lot of replay value because all the teams play very different.

In other board game news I tried Pandemic for the first time a few weeks back. Great game, the three of us won both times, though we played on the lowest difficulty as it was our first try. We are going to buy Pandemic Legacy, which sounds awesome. Has anyone tried it?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:49 pm 

I haven't tried Pandemic Legacy but I'm definitely interested, it's currently the reigning champion #1 game of all time on boardgamegeek. I'm just leery of the price ($70) coupled with the fact that I don't really have a solid group together who would be willing to get invested in a game that will necessarily take many game sessions to complete, and isn't really amenable to drop-in, drop-out play.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:15 am 

Too bad I'm nowhere near you, because I'd join up.

As our Imperial Assault campaign nears completion, I can safely say that this is not my favorite game. Two major problems, not in ranked order, happen too often for my taste:

The first is how many crucial events depend exclusively on dice rolls. Just as an example, I spent three full rounds trying to activate a single terminal. You spend all this time working out the fastest way to get to the damn thing in the first place, only to have all your hard work bitched by some random number of shit rolls. There are plenty of ways to get good at the fun parts of this game, but there is no way to get better at throwing dice. Not all the missions are like this, thankfully, but too many of them are. The combat relies on dice, but it doesn't suck at all! When none of the base game characters had any better chance than I did, it just seems like a crap choice for mission design. Get the expansion so you can pass terminal missions! uurgh.

The second factor is that it's almost impossible to avoid meta-gaming. The allies are all discussing strategy and the Imperial player is just sitting right there listening. Plus some of the initial set ups show troopers beyond doors the rebels supposedly can't see through, but .. they can, so .. they set up accordingly. And other scenarios like that. Too much telegraphing. This sucks because when the surprises actually come off, they work well. I don't understand the inconsistencies in this game's design.

Over all a fairly well thought out and decently balanced game with some mechanical issues. A lot of clever versatility, being based on Descent, but .. in the end it just makes me want to play Descent instead, which I'm to understand is just better in general.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:30 am 

failsafeman wrote:
I haven't tried Pandemic Legacy but I'm definitely interested, it's currently the reigning champion #1 game of all time on boardgamegeek. I'm just leery of the price ($70) coupled with the fact that I don't really have a solid group together who would be willing to get invested in a game that will necessarily take many game sessions to complete, and isn't really amenable to drop-in, drop-out play.

Yeah, we're only planning to do it because we're three old friends who all like board gaming. On top of that we don't see each other as much anymore, so now we can get to hang out at least once a month. Will report back after first Legacy session in May.

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:26 pm 

What's your twenty, andersbang, do you copy, over.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:59 pm 

I guess he succumbed to the plague.

OneRodeToAsaBay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:02 pm 

:( *plays mournful tune on trumpet*

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:14 am 

Clinging to life, but barely. Black plague-level hangovers foiled our first go at Legacy. And now summer vacation's rolling up, so board game coordination will be super difficult (next week I'm off for a festival for about two weeks, not long after that it's six weeks of backpacking in India with my girlfriend). I'm sorry I let the thread down :(

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:56 am 

:nono: You won't be invited to the MA boardgame-expo 2023 now.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:23 am 

In good board game related news though, our Blood Bowl Team Manager and bong smoking group is going strong.

OneRodeToAsaBay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:12 pm 

Quit having an exciting festival-going life, andersbang, there's people out here checking this thread and spasmodically hitting F5. :oh shit:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:48 pm 

andersbang wrote:
In good board game related news though, our Blood Bowl Team Manager and bong smoking group is going strong.

Can...can I join?

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:34 am 

OneRodeToAsaBay wrote:
Quit having an exciting festival-going life, andersbang, there's people out here checking this thread and spasmodically hitting F5. :oh shit:

:( I can't handle it! The weight of responsibility is driving me to go camp in a field boozin and smoking weed for two weeks while wearing stupid costumes! Noooo

failsafeman wrote:
andersbang wrote:

Can...can I join?

Of course. Everyone is invited to come suckle the bong teat of the Board Game Mother. But seriously, Blood Bowl Team Manager is a fuking great game and very accommodating of intoxication and loud metal. We normally hit the bong pretty heavily while blasting Inhume when we play. Send me a PM next time you're Scandinavia-bound

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:38 pm 

Currently setting up a D&D campaign in a custom setting for a group of friends.

Shit's tough, yo.

Aristo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:30 pm 

In college and before some of my friends got jobs out-of-state, we used to play quite a bit of 3.5 ed. and Pathfinder. I also dabbled in Warhammer 40k and Fantasy for a while, but now my basement's full of minis that are un/half painted. I still paint for the hobby, but I haven't actually played the games in a long time. I also collect non-GW minis just as a pastime and for generic sci-fi stuff.

I'd like to get into pen/paper roleplaying more frequently, if I had the schedule and friendbase for it. I'm rather selective of who I try to play with; I'm all for 'optimal' character builds, but having those one or two players who set out to break the game ruins what I like most about RPGs - the narrative and immersion.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:01 pm 

Most of my D&D gaming is done online via Skype and Roll20. I'm big on character optimization, as well, but only to a point--that point being the limits on how much shit you can reasonably justify. I'll make a Warlock/Executioner hybrid who can deal 4d8+6 damage at-will at level 1, and I'll roll with it because, in roleplaying terms, the concept I have for this character is fuckin' cool (she's a badass shadow mage, but she believes her voice curses those she addresses, so she remains mute and has to communicate through increasingly frustrated gesturing because the party tends to be full of gesture-illiterate morons). And mechanically, she's a character who starts off OMGWTFBBQ but becomes more and more balanced (and eventually mediocre) as time goes on. But I will not be caught dead being that guy who brings a Goliath Mounted Chevalier Charger with a lance who deals who-cares-it's-fuckin'-dead damage every turn, twice, because not only is that a concept that is ludicrous beyond any reasonable explanation, but there's also a fine line between "powerful, but swingy and early-game-based" and "get the fuck out."

Besides, as powerful as Malrissa is at level 1, any Ranger will outperform her. And then be able to find tracks and heal the unconscious.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 30  Next