Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Forbunnie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:50 pm 

Anybody here plays Magic the Gathering? If so, what do you think of the new set?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:38 pm 

Have you played Keyforge? Curious what you think of the grand master's excursion into AI.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:23 am 

Avid RPGer here (mainly Call of Cthulhu and Delta Green, but other favourites are Degenesis, Eclipse Phase and Red Markets among many). I loathe Keyforge, mainly because it's the first new game FFG published after discontinuing the best card game ever: Netrunner. Petty of me, I know. I'm also playing the Legends of the Five Rings LCG, but not as competitively as I did Netrunner.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:45 am 

matras wrote:
Avid RPGer here (mainly Call of Cthulhu and Delta Green, but other favourites are Degenesis, Eclipse Phase and Red Markets among many). I loathe Keyforge, mainly because it's the first new game FFG published after discontinuing the best card game ever: Netrunner. Petty of me, I know. I'm also playing the Legends of the Five Rings LCG, but not as competitively as I did Netrunner.

Was it really FFG's fault though? WotC pulled the licence from them. Crap company. Netrunner (both CCG and LCG) was great though, but the consistent problem of finding players is a turn-off, which is why I stick to LotR LCG and Arkham Horror LCG these days as they both play excellently solo. (That said, I did recently pick up three cores, a deluxe, and six chapter packs of the Game of Thrones LCG because it was dirt cheap - cost less then one new core).

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:08 am 

Nah I don't think it was entirely FFGs decision, even though they said at the time that they "decided" not to renew the license from WotC. My suspicion is that since Eurazeo (at the time owners of Asmodee and with that also FFG) had put up Amodee for sale early 2018, they had strict orders from above Asmodee's heads not to spend any big sums (which a license would be) which makes sense. And since FFG owned the IP and not the game mechanics/terminology it was good bye Netrunner, even though they'd just released a Core 2.0.

Yeah I have the problem with finding the time to drag my ass to the local game dungeon to play, which is why I mostly play both Netrunner and L5R online nowadays. Damn it was fun going to the European Championships in Birmingham for Netrunner with fellow players from Sweden.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:26 pm 

Netrunner is a great game. Keyforge is fine. No real reason to hate it. I was surprised by how well it worked mechanically. I won't be spending any money on it. Sad to see Netrunner go, but the good thing is that the cards don't evaporate just because the world is closed. Love that game.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:12 am 

Absolutely. And a fan-driven organization at nisei.net release new cards and have Organized Play and all. Great community work there.
And my views on Keyforge, hyperbole as they are, are more connected with the business model of the game. Granted, you can buy as much or as little you want, but the whole concept feels like I'm buying things to throw away. I have no doubt that the game mechanics are solid (I mean it's friggin Garfield).

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:32 am 

The mechanics are indeed solid. The core set is stable. I agree about the commercial black hole, but really my only significant qualm is the lack of world. Both MtG and Netrunner did a pretty good job at that, Netrunner being more my thing. As far as the game itself, though, it plays really well. I was deeply incredulous about the deck quality being anything other than a crap shoot just based on sheer numbers, but some friends of mine have been buying a dozen or so decks each and no complaints so far .. pretty much just the art being thin, and when you're my friends that doesn't matter. Matters a lot to me, though. And .. still .. a couple dozen is nothing compared to 104 septillion possible. I'd like to see some analogies for that kind of astronomical comparison. Like how many otters it would take to add up to 104 septillion hairs (they have unbelievable amounts of hair).

For instance, when I first saw that absurd figure, I did some rough-figure math and 104 septillion decks came close to smothering the entire planet in 4 inches of cardboard.

Avocat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:26 pm 

I've recently been playing the 4th edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. I'm familiar with Warhammer, but had never played any of the previous editions. I have to say that I'm enjoying it more that traditional DnD. It's low fantasy and player characters are more like normal people that high powered magicians and fighters. Combat is highly lethal and thinking about how you approach a problem is often more important that your stats and equipment.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:23 am 

That's interesting. Can you elaborate on how approach is handled by the game/why that is?

Avocat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:27 pm 

Lower level characters especially are pretty piss poor in combat. Magic using players can actually be more of a danger to the party than whatever monster being faced if they roll poorly or don't have certain skills. In a recent confrontation with a troll we had to set up an elaborate fire trap rather than trying to kill it outright which would not have gone well.

I like the success level system for rolling too. Instead of constant swings and misses from bad rolls you can still do damage to an opponent if they happen to roll even worse than you in an opposed roll. It makes confrontations a bit less grindy and more dynamic.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:57 pm 

Yeah Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th Ed is indeed really good. I played the shit out of my 1st and 2nd ed (3rd edition was pile of poop imo). It's gritty, dangerous and filled with dark humour. Everything is mud, rain, pox and misery pretty much.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:33 am 

matras wrote:
Everything is mud, rain, pox and misery pretty much.

Music to my ears.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:27 am 

Welp, as it turns out I'm heading back to Korea (to the same city) for another year instead of going to England. One of the players in our group DMs his own D&D game, and another of our players started playing with him as well, so it looks like I'm joining his campaign as a level 9 wood elf rogue. Trying out the scout subclass. Give me all the proficiencies (minus the social ones as I'm going the sort of maladjusted - but friendly - hermit type). Should be fun times.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:05 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Welp, as it turns out I'm heading back to Korea ... D&D game ... level 9 wood elf rogue ... Should be fun times.

Excellent news. Good luck. War many.

I'd offer to paint your minis, but not sure the shipping and time they'd spend away from the table would be worth enduring. That said, if your group needs stuff prepped for the future, let me know. We can work something out.

I've started painting in earnest, finally. Took an age, but worth the wait. The main holdup was effective workspace, but that's sorted now. Progress is rapid not only because I have a routine, but also a different approach. My friend pointed me toward tutorials by the understated lame-slayer Dana Howl and that changed everything, focusing on a strong foundation of zenithal highlighting and tight black-and-white underpainting, with the color work coming much later from glazes and thinned paints. Once I get the system down, I'll get an air brush and tighten everything up even more. I've essentially walked away from trying to learn traditional layering. Painting is really fun now instead of an aggravating chore.

The depth in the figures is already so much better. Pictures will occur eventually. I need a decent backdrop for them. Looks weak af to have it sitting on a cutting mat with bottles around. Life is tiresome. Painting is the cure.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:20 pm 

I just checked out the quickstart of the RPG based on the Talisman board game. Standard fantasy stuff but it looks cool and has a simple but effective ruleset. Should be fun in play!

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:25 pm 

What's the basis of the rule set? How does it differ from D&D? Why that and not just D&D? Not a rhetorical question, mainly just curious. For a while I've felt that as far as fantasy alternatives to D&D go, it's difficult to improve on The Burning Wheel.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:45 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
What's the basis of the rule set? How does it differ from D&D? Why that and not just D&D? Not a rhetorical question, mainly just curious. For a while I've felt that as far as fantasy alternatives to D&D go, it's difficult to improve on The Burning Wheel.

The basis of the ruleset is 3D6 plus skill (plus bonus if applicable). You have two basic characteristics - Strength and Craft. Strength is linked to 3 three other attributes and the same goes on with Craft. There is a lot of classes and some unsual races (called Ancestries here) - you can play as a ghoul or a troll for example. There are levels but overall it is skill based. As for why not D&D - I played all editions of D&D and lots of OSR variants. Love some of them to bits (AD&D 2e!) but I loved Talisman and my group always wants to play some fantasy stuff so I just wanted to try it out. Character generation is quite fast (30-40 minutes) and it seems like it would be very fast in play.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:04 pm 

Sounds good. I was hoping it would be something like "just wanted to check it out." You're fortunate you have a group stable enough to try out things and see how they go. GLHF!

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:32 pm 

Bought the Ultramodern5 REDUX pdf today with the intention of using downtime to learn it and craft a campaign for a few friends. Does anybody have experience with it? Tips?

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:48 am 

Just backed Torchbearer 2e. I'll post again in 2021 when it arrives.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:27 pm 

given I'm officially "between jobs" for the interim I decided to start taking commission painting more seriously. Surprising amount of work coming in, halfway through the second Bolt Action army and working my way through the Kingdom Death stuff, lots of enquiries coming in. I've put up some galleries of past work at facebook.com/ironharveststudio if you want to see what kind of stuff I do.

It's not enough to live on full-time but it's a nice supplementary income in these tough times. Beats having a boss too - get up in the morning, queue up some music and podcasts and grind away till my back gets sore.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:16 pm 

Scorntyrant wrote:
given I'm officially "between jobs" for the interim I decided to start taking commission painting more seriously. Surprising amount of work coming in, halfway through the second Bolt Action army and working my way through the Kingdom Death stuff, lots of enquiries coming in. I've put up some galleries of past work at facebook.com/ironharveststudio if you want to see what kind of stuff I do.

It's not enough to live on full-time but it's a nice supplementary income in these tough times. Beats having a boss too - get up in the morning, queue up some music and podcasts and grind away till my back gets sore.

Post pics of that Bolt Action stuff. I've always been curious in a WWII game, been thinking about picking up Ambush! which costs a small fortune on eBay (and is out of print) as a solo game.

I've near-given up on card games and tabletop RPGs (real RPGs, not 5th edition DnD which is utter shit). Simply because I've gotten hooked by minis; currently into Necromunda now, with some Beastgrave on the side, but man, the painting minis thing is nuts - I love it and wish I'd taken it up ages ago. Talk about a stress reliever, it's right there! A friend in Canada (Newfoundland to be exact) who plays a lot of these CCgs/LCGs mentioned being bored; like he ordered a box of Middle-Earth CCG boosters (great game, that) but was bored immediately after sleeving them. I told him if he'd ordered a box of minis, cut them, glued them, primed them, basecoated them etc etc he wouldn't have been bored at all, well, let's hope he listens.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:54 pm 

waiguoren wrote:

Post pics of that Bolt Action stuff. I've always been curious in a WWII game, been thinking about picking up Ambush! which costs a small fortune on eBay (and is out of print) as a solo game.

As I say, galleries are on the FB page, dont fancy re-uploading to imagur or whatnot right now.

Bolt Action is a very approachable game - I think of it as the "commando comics" version of WW2 in that it's not entirely realistic but is very "cinematic". That said though, the beauty of historical games is that your miniatures can be used in multiple systems. In this case, I can play Chain of Command or Battlegroup using all my Bolt Action stuf.

That said, it is VERY terrain heavy compared to a Games Workshop type game. You need a lot of trees, buildings, hills, roads etc for it to play properly

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:00 pm 

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/path ... -inc-books[

Paizo is offering $360 worth of material for $5-$30, with proceeds being donated to the Carl Brandon Society, NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund, and the National Urban League.

darkeningday wrote:

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:59 pm 

I've been playing Infinity lately. Tabletop minis skirmish game made by a Spanish company named Corvus Belli, complicated rule set but it's the best tabletop minis game I've encountered (better than any Games Workshop game, and better than simpler games like Frostgrave). Why is this, no one asks?

Because you are always active. The players still have turns, so we'll begin there. During the active player's turn they can activate each one of their models, like every other similar game, EXCEPT instead of activating and using each model one at a time, the active player can use the activations from other models on the same model. So if you have five models on the table, instead of (for example) using those activations one at a time per model, you can use all five of them on one model and make that model take five actions in one go. Crazy, you say? Having a model go all Rambo across the tabletop?

Agreed!

Except with Infinity, as soon as a model is in line of sight, the opposing player's models that have line of sight can react and take actions themselves, either dodging or (most likely) shooting at the fucker. So instead of the "I go you go" thing the other games have, this game has non-stop action. And then things like the minis having camouflage and all other sorts of complicated goodness, you just end up with a really good game where tactics and strategy plays a huge role.

Highly recommended.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:39 pm 

By all accounts Infinity is a very good game as you say. The criticisms I've heard are that the rules are quite complex, it's very terrain heavy and the minis are fiddly. I agree about the activation system - after playing Bolt Action for so long now with it's random activation patterns I find it strange going back to playing "I-go-you-go" systems where you more or less sit and watch while your opponent has their turn.

Sadly we are still in lockdown and have been since May and will be until the end of October at the earliest, so I haven't played a game of anything for a really long time. Which is shithouse in more ways than I can tell you. But on the plus side I just found out this morning that I have been accepted into my country's small business development program on the strength of the business I have built up as a commission painter while I have been stuck at home. This means I get a year of funding/training/mentoring to build it up to the next level, and won't be hassled by the unemployment system for the duration.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:25 pm 

Scorntyrant wrote:
But on the plus side I just found out this morning that I have been accepted into my country's small business development program on the strength of the business I have built up as a commission painter while I have been stuck at home. This means I get a year of funding/training/mentoring to build it up to the next level, and won't be hassled by the unemployment system for the duration.

Dude, that's awesome. Good on you!

darkeningday wrote:

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:57 pm 

Scorntyrant wrote:
By all accounts Infinity is a very good game as you say. The criticisms I've heard are that the rules are quite complex, it's very terrain heavy and the minis are fiddly. I agree about the activation system - after playing Bolt Action for so long now with it's random activation patterns I find it strange going back to playing "I-go-you-go" systems where you more or less sit and watch while your opponent has their turn.

Yeah, it is terrain heavy but the new terrain is quite nice (for thick cardboard). The minis are indeed fiddly - they're metal which is hell to glue together, but the later minis just fit better than the earlier ones. One problem as well is the minis tend to look the same, which prevents me from buying more (this is a good thing, my pile of shame is truly shameful).

Your post reminded me that I wanted to pick up some Bolt Action minis just for the painting. Picked up a pack of three German fellas for pretty cheap with my last order and bought a bunch of Skaven stuff as well because I like rats, including this kindly bugger - just look at the damn thing! Currently gluing him together now actually:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-SE/Sk ... bomination

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:35 pm 

Been a minute. Bringing this thread back from beyond the veil of death!

I played D&D in my friend's campaign for two years. It was....something. I came to really enjoy roleplaying as my character, and forming some bonds with other player characters. The campaign itself, though, was...ehhh. The DM was hyper obsessed with really boring shit like making his D&D setting a realistic medieval place. We had to roleplay through so much incredible tedium. For example, we cleared out some vampires from their lair under the city and took it for ourselves. Being a nature-loving wood elf, this creepy underground lair needed some sprucing up, so I put in some bonsai and a rock garden and wanted a skylight built so they could thrive. I told the DM I wanted to have that done during the 5 total days of downtime we had the entire time I was playing, and he made me roleplay through negotiating with contractors, and meeting them sometime the next day from 10 am to 4 pm. Basically he made D&D about as fun as all the most boring parts of real life. The whole time we just fought generic human mooks. Everything took so fucking long to do. In two years I went from level 9 to level 11 and in-game only about two weeks elapsed. Major pacing issues, but it was the only in-person game I had available so I stuck with it.

Anyway since then I've moved to Ireland and started a master's. I also started DMing a campaign for some students in my program. It's a really diverse group (five players) and only one guy has ever played a tabletop RPG. We've had a session zero and two real sessions of play so far and I think they're hooked. They're on a mission to find a lady's missing husband, who went berry picking, but found that he and some other people were attacked and taken underground by some kruthiks (sort of insect-like burrowing reptiles). Once they find the guy in the kruthik lair (plastered to the wall to serve as fresh food for the new hatchlings), they'll find him with another guy. Turns out the missing husband is actually a criminal who was tipped off that the other guy was going to be transporting a valuable magical artifact through the area, so jumped him, murdered his companion, and was in the process of robbing him when the kruthik attacked. The second guy is a member of an organization that collects and documents ancient artifacts to uncover the truth about the world. I'll leave it up to them who they believe and whose side they take (if any). I have a number of ideas as to where the story could go from there depending on how they react to the situation.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:32 am 

I couldn't believe it, but at the comic book store that I frequent they had the original D&D for sale. Actually, they have the first 4 or 5. I picked up the first one. It has everything that was originally included, with the exception of the pencils. I really wish I could find people who are into it. I would love to play.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30