Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Forbunnie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:50 pm 

Anybody here plays Magic the Gathering? If so, what do you think of the new set?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:38 pm 

Have you played Keyforge? Curious what you think of the grand master's excursion into AI.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:23 am 

Avid RPGer here (mainly Call of Cthulhu and Delta Green, but other favourites are Degenesis, Eclipse Phase and Red Markets among many). I loathe Keyforge, mainly because it's the first new game FFG published after discontinuing the best card game ever: Netrunner. Petty of me, I know. I'm also playing the Legends of the Five Rings LCG, but not as competitively as I did Netrunner.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:45 am 

matras wrote:
Avid RPGer here (mainly Call of Cthulhu and Delta Green, but other favourites are Degenesis, Eclipse Phase and Red Markets among many). I loathe Keyforge, mainly because it's the first new game FFG published after discontinuing the best card game ever: Netrunner. Petty of me, I know. I'm also playing the Legends of the Five Rings LCG, but not as competitively as I did Netrunner.

Was it really FFG's fault though? WotC pulled the licence from them. Crap company. Netrunner (both CCG and LCG) was great though, but the consistent problem of finding players is a turn-off, which is why I stick to LotR LCG and Arkham Horror LCG these days as they both play excellently solo. (That said, I did recently pick up three cores, a deluxe, and six chapter packs of the Game of Thrones LCG because it was dirt cheap - cost less then one new core).

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:08 am 

Nah I don't think it was entirely FFGs decision, even though they said at the time that they "decided" not to renew the license from WotC. My suspicion is that since Eurazeo (at the time owners of Asmodee and with that also FFG) had put up Amodee for sale early 2018, they had strict orders from above Asmodee's heads not to spend any big sums (which a license would be) which makes sense. And since FFG owned the IP and not the game mechanics/terminology it was good bye Netrunner, even though they'd just released a Core 2.0.

Yeah I have the problem with finding the time to drag my ass to the local game dungeon to play, which is why I mostly play both Netrunner and L5R online nowadays. Damn it was fun going to the European Championships in Birmingham for Netrunner with fellow players from Sweden.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:26 pm 

Netrunner is a great game. Keyforge is fine. No real reason to hate it. I was surprised by how well it worked mechanically. I won't be spending any money on it. Sad to see Netrunner go, but the good thing is that the cards don't evaporate just because the world is closed. Love that game.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:12 am 

Absolutely. And a fan-driven organization at nisei.net release new cards and have Organized Play and all. Great community work there.
And my views on Keyforge, hyperbole as they are, are more connected with the business model of the game. Granted, you can buy as much or as little you want, but the whole concept feels like I'm buying things to throw away. I have no doubt that the game mechanics are solid (I mean it's friggin Garfield).

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:32 am 

The mechanics are indeed solid. The core set is stable. I agree about the commercial black hole, but really my only significant qualm is the lack of world. Both MtG and Netrunner did a pretty good job at that, Netrunner being more my thing. As far as the game itself, though, it plays really well. I was deeply incredulous about the deck quality being anything other than a crap shoot just based on sheer numbers, but some friends of mine have been buying a dozen or so decks each and no complaints so far .. pretty much just the art being thin, and when you're my friends that doesn't matter. Matters a lot to me, though. And .. still .. a couple dozen is nothing compared to 104 septillion possible. I'd like to see some analogies for that kind of astronomical comparison. Like how many otters it would take to add up to 104 septillion hairs (they have unbelievable amounts of hair).

For instance, when I first saw that absurd figure, I did some rough-figure math and 104 septillion decks came close to smothering the entire planet in 4 inches of cardboard.

Avocat
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:26 pm 

I've recently been playing the 4th edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. I'm familiar with Warhammer, but had never played any of the previous editions. I have to say that I'm enjoying it more that traditional DnD. It's low fantasy and player characters are more like normal people that high powered magicians and fighters. Combat is highly lethal and thinking about how you approach a problem is often more important that your stats and equipment.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:23 am 

That's interesting. Can you elaborate on how approach is handled by the game/why that is?

Avocat
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:27 pm 

Lower level characters especially are pretty piss poor in combat. Magic using players can actually be more of a danger to the party than whatever monster being faced if they roll poorly or don't have certain skills. In a recent confrontation with a troll we had to set up an elaborate fire trap rather than trying to kill it outright which would not have gone well.

I like the success level system for rolling too. Instead of constant swings and misses from bad rolls you can still do damage to an opponent if they happen to roll even worse than you in an opposed roll. It makes confrontations a bit less grindy and more dynamic.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:57 pm 

Yeah Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th Ed is indeed really good. I played the shit out of my 1st and 2nd ed (3rd edition was pile of poop imo). It's gritty, dangerous and filled with dark humour. Everything is mud, rain, pox and misery pretty much.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:33 am 

matras wrote:
Everything is mud, rain, pox and misery pretty much.

Music to my ears.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:27 am 

Welp, as it turns out I'm heading back to Korea (to the same city) for another year instead of going to England. One of the players in our group DMs his own D&D game, and another of our players started playing with him as well, so it looks like I'm joining his campaign as a level 9 wood elf rogue. Trying out the scout subclass. Give me all the proficiencies (minus the social ones as I'm going the sort of maladjusted - but friendly - hermit type). Should be fun times.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30