Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:48 pm 

So... yeah. I've been listening to the gamerips of the new Doom Eternal soundtrack on Youtube (and doing some gamerips of my own so I can have it on my iPod). I enjoy them very much. I've learned a couple of the songs on guitar and bass.

With the new score, it sounds like Mick Gordon got a lot more comfortable with the sound that he created for 2016 Doom. 2016's soundtrack was more unhinged and raw, just trying to slap as hard as possible with enormous sounds, two-note bass synth riffs, and djent. Eternal's soundtrack slaps just as hard, but it's more focused. The amount of guitar-based music is more proportionate to the synth-based music, and the synths sound a lot "cleaner". There's still dirty parts, but it's not just the "run everything through as many pedals as possible" approach of 2016's soundtrack. And - believe it or not - the soundtrack takes a foray into genuine heavy metal riffs and not just djent on the Super Gore Nest combat suite. It's also really cool how a lot of themes from previous Doom games have been brought back.

I heard themes from all of these original Doom tracks:
At Doom's Gate (of course)
Dark Halls (twice - once in the main menu, once in the ARC complex, I think)
Opening To Hell (main menu & Icon of Sin original boss theme)
Sweet Little Dead Bunny (I don't think the track made it into the game, but it's in the game files)
Sinister (Cultist base, re-made by that guy with the super-deep vocals)
Residual (Doom 2016 ambient track, re-made for the Khan Maykr's realm)
Doom 3 intro (plays somewhere in the Mars Core mission, I think)
E1M8 "Victory" music (Betrayer's theme, also plays in Exultia)

The only thing I found to be a bit cheesy was the "heavy metal choir". It either sounds like a massive hardcore gang shout or very loud whispering. Both of which have been done before.

But everything else is very recognizable. It's a game score, but the pieces still stick in your head along with the gameplay. Usually I despise djent-based music, but the style that Mick Gordon has now perfected is unique enough for me to look past it. Hell, I'd be up for what all those like-grubbing Youtube commenters are saying about deeming the games' soundtracks a new genre: Vegacore... Marscore... "DOOM" metal... Ardjent...

While I consider 2016 Doom to be a superior game to Doom Eternal, I consider Eternal's soundtrack to be superior to 2016's soundtrack. I'm looking forward to the official release.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:27 pm 

Hahaha, I like "Ardjent"

And I agree that Mick Gordon not only made a kick ass soundtrack for Doom and Doom Eternal, but managed to make a new genre in the process. I don't know if it would be considered metal by MA standards, especially being that it relies on a LOT of electronica/industrial and ambient, but it's definitely something that has not been quite done before.

Also "Sign of Evil" (E1M8) is also in the soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9J94_Blfnk - this one gave me chills when I first heard it.

The sheer number of throwbacks in Doom Eternal really impressed me, especially as someone who grew up with id software games. I love that there are Commander Keen songs you can collect, and then wander around Fortress of Doom with that playing in the background.

It makes me want a proper Commander Keen sequel, not a mobile title knockoff either. A proper platformer for PC.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell
RIP DIO

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:44 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
Hahaha, I like "Ardjent"

And I agree that Mick Gordon not only made a kick ass soundtrack for Doom and Doom Eternal, but managed to make a new genre in the process. I don't know if it would be considered metal by MA standards, especially being that it relies on a LOT of electronica/industrial and ambient, but it's definitely something that has not been quite done before.

Also "Sign of Evil" (E1M8) is also in the soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9J94_Blfnk - this one gave me chills when I first heard it.

The sheer number of throwbacks in Doom Eternal really impressed me, especially as someone who grew up with id software games. I love that there are Commander Keen songs you can collect, and then wander around Fortress of Doom with that playing in the background.

It makes me want a proper Commander Keen sequel, not a mobile title knockoff either. A proper platformer for PC.

Whoa, that is Sign of Evil! That passed right by me when I heard it in-game.

I love the collectible albums too. Basically every major id title has a song in the collectibles. The Quake Champions one interested me quite a bit. It's sort of a post-hardcore/metalcore thing that I wouldn't mind hearing more of. Never played the game, never heard the soundtrack, and I think the same guy who wrote it keeps popping up in my YouTube recommendations with Doom OST remakes all the time.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:26 pm 

Hot take, but I feel like Mick Gordon writes much more interesting djent music than most actual djent bands. I'm not even talking about the synthy industrial or ambient influence, but the parts where he just fucking rips & tears on the guitar. A big part of why I think this is because he writes actual riffs instead of just playing cool grooves and rhythms.

Ex: BFG 10,000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMNW7qTNjJ0

That main riff hits harder than a blood punch.

Edit
Quote:
The Quake Champions one interested me quite a bit. It's sort of a post-hardcore/metalcore thing that I wouldn't mind hearing more of. Never played the game, never heard the soundtrack, and I think the same guy who wrote it keeps popping up in my YouTube recommendations with Doom OST remakes all the time.

That would be Andrew Hulshult. The guy's sort of a boomer shooter icon at the moment. Did the soundtracks for Dusk, Amid Evil, and Wrath.
Ex: Keepers of the Gate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvyM6ZKZx6U

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:09 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
Hot take, but I feel like Mick Gordon writes much more interesting djent music than most actual djent bands. I'm not even talking about the synthy industrial or ambient influence, but the parts where he just fucking rips & tears on the guitar. A big part of why I think this is because he writes actual riffs instead of just playing cool grooves and rhythms.

Ex: BFG 10,000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMNW7qTNjJ0

That main riff hits harder than a blood punch.

I agree with that. I mean, when he does do guitar stuff it's still two-note djenting but he makes it his own somehow. It's not quite cookie-cutter. I have no idea whether this is true or not, but Mick strikes me as a person who isn't very well-versed in the heavy metal world, save for a few big names & pseudo-metal acts like Meshuggah (I believe he is friends with their guitarist). Therefore, when creating metal-influenced music, he only has his own brain to draw from instead of just copying the style of some other band he heard.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:24 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Whoa, that is Sign of Evil! That passed right by me when I heard it in-game.

You could say that that's not a good sign.

:boo:

Reply to topic