Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Earthshine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:59 pm 

Hey guys.

In the next few years I'll become too old to do a working holiday, so I want to get out there and do it before it's too late.

Anyone from any of these countries, or has any experience with working holidays here, I'd love some advice.

Which of these countries would suit a working holiday best? I've heard Norway can be a very expensive place to live. What about finding work? I'm not looking to make a lot of money or anything. Really I just want to experience what it is like to live in one of these countries. Ideally I would like to live in a rural area for a while. Any suggestions on areas to search? Or even places to search for work? I'm a qualified teacher and have experience working overseas as an English teacher so I guess that could be an option too.

Any advice or information would be amazing. Thanks.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:12 pm 

if you're talking about this year, you're very late... :D

you're also ideal bait for Tvind/Humana (they go by many more names), who are scammers... so beware. based in Denmark, but they have "volunteer positions" in other countries as well.

other than that, I wish you luck. these are all beautiful, noble countries.

Earthshine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:47 pm 

aloof wrote:
if you're talking about this year, you're very late... :D

you're also ideal bait for Tvind/Humana (they go by many more names), who are scammers... so beware. based in Denmark, but they have "volunteer positions" in other countries as well.

other than that, I wish you luck. these are all beautiful, noble countries.

Thanks for the reply man. I'm looking at heading off some time next year if possible!

I'll be very aware of those companies. I've worked in Japan as an English teacher, so I am well aware of "schools" that people set up to rip people off. Tvind sounds like another level though... wikipedia says some people describe it as a cult.

Ideally I want to work in a rural area, like a farm or something, so hopefully I can avoid these people.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:32 am 

Look into teaching at international schools, then if that works you'll not only experience whatever country you're in but will find it easy to visit the others as well. Otherwise without knowing the language you'd be lucky to get a job as a dishwasher (unless you're very talented in the IT field).

Earthshine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:16 am 

waiguoren wrote:
Look into teaching at international schools, then if that works you'll not only experience whatever country you're in but will find it easy to visit the others as well. Otherwise without knowing the language you'd be lucky to get a job as a dishwasher (unless you're very talented in the IT field).

Thanks man. I will look into international schools.

I have a friend that worked on a farm for about a month, so I'm thinking something along those lines. I wouldn't expect to get a regular job, especially not on a working holiday visa.

InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:16 am 

It will be tough finding work in Sweden when you don't speak the language. Now everyone knows English but unless you understand and speak Swedish people will be reluctant to hire you. We also have much stricter rules (formal and informal) when it comes to needing a specific education for jobs. It is much easier in, say, England to get a job if you're a proven card from another employer or if you have a nice university diploma (regardless of subjects). In Sweden you're likely to be asked to have an exact degree specifically for the field in which you look for a job.

However if you're a teacher that might be a great in for you. We lack teachers in Sweden so we are quite coveted. And they do pay us very well (contrary to popular belief). Now language will be a barrier again unless you actually teach English, but then you probably can't teach in a regular school since I think the pupils need someone who knows their native language as well. But yes, look into international schools, the English schools and such.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:45 am 

People in Finland's rural areas are less likely to speak English at a very good level. I imagine the same would apply to any Nordic country. Just something to keep in mind.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:04 am 

InnesI is right about the language barrier when it comes to jobs. Socially? No problem, but I know a lot of people personally, with degrees and all, that couldn't get a job because they only spoke english (even those with a rudimentary knowledge in swedish). Not to be a wet blanket, but it's a reality.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:29 am 

InnesI wrote:
It will be tough finding work in Sweden when you don't speak the language.

A friend of mine is just in the same situation now in Denmark. Anyway, good luck! :thumbsup:

Last edited by BasqueStorm on Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:32 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
People in Finland's rural areas are less likely to speak English at a very good level. I imagine the same would apply to any Nordic country. Just something to keep in mind.

The rural areas probably have a worse level of English in Sweden but I don't think it will be a problem. Even a worse level will be pretty good and not a big problem. In Sweden it is mostly the older generation that might struggle with it but I estimate it regards those who are 65-70 years old and older. Our knowledge of the English language in general is very good.

I believe the same goes for Norway and Denmark. In my experience Finland has the lowest level of knowledge in the English language by far compared to the other northern European countries.

Edit: All this being said its not like its impossible. I have a friend who moved here from Gran Canaria. She obviously has knowledge in Spanish but also good English. However no Swedish when she came here. And she has worked herself up from being an au pair (not that common in Sweden) to getting jobs in fashion stores and kindergardens. So if you're determined you can absolutely do it. It will take quite a bit of effort though.

Earthshine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:56 am 

Thanks so much for your replies everyone, I really appreciate it. I will research some international schools.

Really though, I would only be looking for a part time farm hand job or something. I'm not looking to emigrate or anything.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:26 pm 

Earthshine wrote:
Thanks so much for your replies everyone, I really appreciate it. I will research some international schools.

Really though, I would only be looking for a part time farm hand job or something. I'm not looking to emigrate or anything.

That would still be very difficult unless, like others have said, you have fluent knowledge of the most commonly spoken language in any of the Scandinavian countries you attempt to work in. It might be best to get a working holiday visa, but ensure that you have enough money in the bank to keep yourself fed and housed in the case that you are unable to gain employment. Discouraging, I know, but unfortunately that's just the reality of the situation.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Reply to topic