Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:35 pm 

Derigin wrote:
And 2016, hopefully! I'm in Ottawa now if anyone in the area wants to meet up, by the way!

It looks like we've had a couple gymbros meets recently. I met dystopia (he lives close to where I live now) and we've hit the gym a few times already. It's been good.

We're not that far from you and Diamhea, Matis. A 4-bro day is a possibility.

That would be excellent, Derigin! I'm sure the four of us (and anyone else that's interested, for that matter) could arrange something in upcoming months, now that I have a reliable vehicle. Detroit to Ottawa is about 7 hours according to google maps, and that's honestly not too bad. I'm definitely interested in an assembly of troops/rendezvous of sorts! Would definitely want to stay out there for more than just a single day though, considering it'll be a 1,000+ mile round trip. Maybe we can arrange a specific weekend to do this on?

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:39 pm 

Does anybody happen to be from the GTA (Greater Toronto Area)? I have ZERO metalhead friends and I would like to actually attend shows with people because Toronto usually hosts some excellent bands. I'll never have a pair big enough to go to a concert on my own. It seems like most Canadians on here are from Montreal, though...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:11 am 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
I'll never have a pair big enough to go to a concert on my own.

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
I have ZERO metalhead friends

I wonder why! :idea:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:27 am 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:

Why not?

If any American has the chance to meet CrushedRevelation, do so. He's an awesome guy and he knows his metal and beer. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:29 am 

Been going to almost every metal show around here, and I still haven't met anyone from the Archives in LA.

send help :(

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:42 am 

Dude it's just a concert, what's the big deal?

Coincidentally I've made some pretty good friends through MA. I see Gnu and BH on a fairly regular basis and I see OoV at a shit ton of shows. All good people I would've never gotten to know with the forums here.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:14 am 

Oh I met OzzyApu here in Korealand. That's pretty cool I reckon.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:42 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
I have ZERO metalhead friends

I wonder why! :idea:

Um... Because most people in my area listen to shit hip-hop, country, and radio pop? I know exactly what you're trying to say, but let me tell you, you're wrong.
MikeyC wrote:
Master_Of_Thrash wrote:

Why not?

If any American has the chance to meet CrushedRevelation, do so. He's an awesome guy and he knows his metal and beer. :)

I don't know man, it's just more fun when you have company and you can be yourself, or I'm too insecure. It feels weird to do some things on my own.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:56 am 

Yeah dude you gotta get over that, specially once you become an adult. I do loads of shit by myself.

Azmodes wrote:

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:16 am 

i have to do lots by myself, DC doesn't have the most metal population, and the wife will only go to the less harsh acts. just go there, front load some beer, enough to get talky, and mosh around until your sober.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Niklas Sanger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:34 am 

I meet all kinds of people at metal shows, I'm sure some of them are on the MA but I don't ask about that kind of stuff. "Hey man you know a lot about obscure bm bands from eastern Europe, do you happen to post reviews on the MA?"

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:35 am 

I guess you guys are right. I mean, sooner or later, I want to experience a metal concert, and I shouldn't restrict myself because I don't have anyone to go with. But at the same time, having a friend to discuss metal with would be pretty awesome.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:42 am 

Well if you ever make it up to Ottawa, I have no problem meeting.

Hmm, as far as an update on this thread... I've met Morrigan, HellBlazer, Metantoine, and Severzhavnost since the last time I posted.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:44 am 

I would like to meet WebOfPiss, he clearly is the most sane and nicest guy on these boards, what a sweetie!

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:49 am 

Derigin wrote:

Hmm, as far as an update on this thread... I've met Morrigan, HellBlazer, Metantoine, and Severzhavnost since the last time I posted.

It's only 5 hours away, pfft :-D. If I ever get a chance, I'd be down. Ottawa is quite nice in the summer.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:13 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
Derigin wrote:

It's only 5 hours away, pfft :-D. If I ever get a chance, I'd be down. Ottawa is quite nice in the summer.

:lol: People usually say that about piddly-ass cottage towns they visit to escape the bustle of city life. I love it when Torontonians think of Ottawa that way! All y'all come on up here; we're gettin the coyote problem under control :p
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:19 pm 

As mentioned I've hung out with fellow Chicagolanders EoH and BH (mad props to EoH for getting in contact and suggesting we go to shows when I first moved here 2.5 years ago and was going stir-crazy for not knowing anyone in the area.) Also met up with Empyreal when he was passing through Chicago during a cross-country move, that was pretty cool since I think he was the first MA-er I friended on facebook back when everyone started doing that.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:26 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
As mentioned I've hung out with fellow Chicagolanders EoH and BH (mad props to EoH for getting in contact and suggesting we go to shows when I first moved here 2.5 years ago and was going stir-crazy for not knowing anyone in the area.) Also met up with Empyreal when he was passing through Chicago during a cross-country move, that was pretty cool since I think he was the first MA-er I friended on facebook back when everyone started doing that.

I just want EOH (or shit, was it you?) to tell that story again of him being nice and trying to carry drunk, fallen people up a hill while they're simultaneously trying to knock him out.

I think I need to move to Chicago from Atlanta. It sounds like a goddamn party.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:29 pm 

I think you've got BH and I mixed up there buddy. Sounds like something that would happen to him. Chicago is a party is you know where to look, come on up and we'll have a super time specially if there's a good show while you're here.

Azmodes wrote:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:31 pm 

That may have been me if you're referring to the story with some friends-of-friends on New Years Eve, except it's actually a lot less cool given that it was just a few level city blocks and only one of the guys was being antagonistic, and not even toward me. I like your version more though. :D

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:33 pm 

Ohh right that was you! I forget these things sometimes.

Speaking of Chicagoans; I'd love to get TadGhostal out sometime. Dude could school me something awful on beer.

Azmodes wrote:

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:35 pm 

All you Chicago folk that haven't been to Headquarters Beercade are losers, btw.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:39 pm 

rexxz wrote:
All you Chicago folk that haven't been to Headquarters Beercade are losers, btw.

I've been to Emporium Arcade Bar in Wicker Park, that has to count for something.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:40 pm 

I don't know about that one but I don't live there. I met Sam Hulick (composer for Mass Effect and several other rad things) for drinks at HQ Beercade a couple years ago, that was pretty sweet.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:43 pm 

Huh, that looks pretty cool and within walking distance of Sheffield's and Local Option, my two favorite bars in the city. Will definitely check that out, thanks for the heads-up.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:48 pm 

Their beer selection is super good and all of the arcade machines are on free play so you basically get hammered off of great beer and play 80s/90s arcade games all night like the jubilant, grown man-children we are.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:50 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
:lol: People usually say that about piddly-ass cottage towns they visit to escape the bustle of city life. I love it when Torontonians think of Ottawa that way! All y'all come on up here; we're gettin the coyote problem under control :p

I've never understood all the hype surrounding cottage towns either. It seems like all people do up there is kayak and sit in their cottages drinking booze. White people... :-P. Just kidding.

We're having a problem with rabid raccoons down here (though not that close to where I am), so it would be a good idea to go up to Ottawa. Plus, it's been a while since I've visited.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:12 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Their beer selection is super good and all of the arcade machines are on free play so you basically get hammered off of great beer and play 80s/90s arcade games all night like the jubilant, grown man-children we are.

:o so down for that! Gnu don't go without me!!!!!!!

Azmodes wrote:

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:27 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
I wonder why [Master_Of_Thrash has zero friends]! :idea:

Um... Because most people in my area listen to shit hip-hop, country, and radio pop?

It's 'cause you're a fucking fuck. That's what she was trying to say.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:11 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
I wonder why [Master_Of_Thrash has zero friends]! :idea:

It's 'cause you're a fucking fuck. That's what she was trying to say.

Nice try, but you're also wrong. And what the fuck is a "fucking fuck" anyway?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:45 pm 

rexxz wrote:

Went for a friend's birthday a year or two ago because she had a 250 dollar credit there. They had alcoholic Yoohoo, it didn't get me drunk but it was essentially free so I had like twelve and just ran around playing pinball all night, it was fucking rad. The only major issue was that they didn't have any fucking Jack Daniels for whatever reason, so my trademark Jack and Coke was off the board for the night. I'm not a beer drinker so the place obviously wasn't for me in terms of drinking, but I did have a good time and would definitely go again. They were playing Wrestlemania highlights the entire time and I once again affirmed my position as "Greatest MK3 player in the universe when I'm playing against friends and the worst player in the universe when I face a stranger who actually knows what they're doing", so it was a good time.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:00 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
I don't know man, it's just more fun when you have company and you can be yourself, or I'm too insecure. It feels weird to do some things on my own.

Fair enough. I used to be that way until I realised I either do things on my own or I don't do them all. Since that "epiphany," I've gone to gigs, restaurants, movies, national parks, and other freaking countries by myself. :) You'll get to that point soon, mate.

I'm jealous of all you people living close by. CrushedRevelation is the only currently active member I have met, but I have met some previous posters that don't frequent here anymore. There needs to be more Sydneysiders, or South Coasters, around the joint!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:26 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Fair enough. I used to be that way until I realised I either do things on my own or I don't do them all. Since that "epiphany," I've gone to gigs, restaurants, movies, national parks, and other freaking countries by myself. :) You'll get to that point soon, mate.

I would say I am independent for the most part, but I just need that extra push to say "fuck it" and do whatever I want all on my own. I would travel alone if I had enough money, actually. Besides, it would be pretty pathetic if a person doesn't travel the world because they have no one to go with.

Where in Australia do you live, Mikey? I've been down to Sydney and Gold Coast about 10 years ago and they were lovely places. I'd go back there just for the doner kebabs! :lol:

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:33 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
I would say I am independent for the most part, but I just need that extra push to say "fuck it" and do whatever I want all on my own. I would travel alone if I had enough money, actually. Besides, it would be pretty pathetic if a person doesn't travel the world because they have no one to go with.

Where in Australia do you live, Mikey? I've been down to Sydney and Gold Coast about 10 years ago and they were lovely places. I'd go back there just for the doner kebabs! :lol:

It's still an issue sometimes with me, as well, but you will end up just doing it if you have the time and motivation. Otherwise nothing will happen. :)

I live about 90 minutes south of Sydney. I'm glad you enjoyed your time here. I go to Sydney regularly, and will again on Saturday. The Gold Coast I've been to around 4 or 5 times and I love it up that way, too. If you're ever back in Sydney give me a yell!

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:43 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
It's still an issue sometimes with me, as well, but you will end up just doing it if you have the time and motivation. Otherwise nothing will happen. :)

I live about 90 minutes south of Sydney. I'm glad you enjoyed your time here. I go to Sydney regularly, and will again on Saturday. The Gold Coast I've been to around 4 or 5 times and I love it up that way, too. If you're ever back in Sydney give me a yell!

It might take a few years :-D, but I'd definitely give you a shout.

Actually I just remembered something. My parents and other relatives have suggested that I apply for pharmacy or med school in Australia, so I'll definitely think about it!

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:23 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
CrushedRevelation is the only currently active member I have met

That's me! Always a pleasure to see you mate. Feels weird at this point in time to be so ridiculously far away from home, but also cool as well. I still miss my girl right now though :(

My collection

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:37 am 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:

Be thee not a wuss. Believe me, it's really easy to stand in more or less one place and listen to music with a beer in your hand. It's .. like .. one of the easiest things ever. Buck up and go have fun.

I hang out with Inspector_Satan once a month or so. Great guy.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:12 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
That's me! Always a pleasure to see you mate. Feels weird at this point in time to be so ridiculously far away from home, but also cool as well. I still miss my girl right now though :(

Pleasure's all mine, buddy. :) I'm sure she misses you, as well. You'll be back soon enough and I'm sure you're still having a great time. Looking forward to hearing all about it over a beer or three. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:16 pm 

Master_of_Thrash wrote:

I used to have trouble with that too, but lemme tell ya, things get so much easier once you realize that nobody cares. Now I'm not anti-social. There are a couple friends I'd invite to concerts depending on the type of metal, but it's gone from "Wanna come see this show with me?" to "I'm seeing this band. Shall I buy you a ticket too?" So about 3/4 of bands I've seen, I've seen alone. You'll get there :)

PS Derigin and dystopia4, it was cool meeting you two in September. Hope to see y'all again!

EDIT: The only issue with going to concerts alone might be, that it really helps to have someone there who'll take turns with you joining the mosh and holding each other's beer.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:13 pm 

That's a shitty problem to have indeed. I'm in the same boat :(, can't drink because I have to drive myself home.

Azmodes wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next