* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:17 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
sourlows wrote:
i dislike how they changed the story so that arya did not trick the guard at the gates of harrenhal and kill him, nor will she be able to kill the tickler in s3/s4 since this season she had jaqen kill him. i felt the tickler's death in storm of swords was an important part of her character development too... shame they ruined it though i suppose they could substitute someone else.

They'll probably use Polliver instead, since he's still got Needle.

This.

The scene with The Tickler worked well in the books, but probably wouldn't have been the same on screen. The show wasn't really able to drive home the mindfuck of The Tickler's interrogation/torture techniques, or how it affected Arya. Thid was not really a fault of the writers in this case, they would have had to use too much of the show's time to show how it traumatized Arya, and I would rather they (try harder to) keep more essential scenes than focusing on a character as minor as The Tickler. The impact of her killing the guy who stole her precious sword will have more of an impact than the "Is there gold in the village... etc." line, which would probably be completely forgotten by the time that scene happened. Hell, in terms of the show, I've already forgotten it :lol:

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:47 am 

I literally almost fell asleep during this episode. I ended up falling asleep 5 minutes after it ended.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:50 am 

Can I just say that I didn't watch series one, but I've read the first 3, and I think the first scene where Asha visited Theon at Winterfell was brilliantly done. I didn't take to Theon's actor at first, but in hindsight they got it spot on. And Asha was one of the best acted characters. Also the Qorin/Jon scene worked well. Seeing how Ygritte played a major part in ASOS and how they will want to save screen time for all the other batshit crazy stuff happening in the north in ASOS, I think it's good they are building up her character more now. And the actor playing Jamie is badass. Needs moar "wench" though

Is Talissa supposed to be Jeyne Westerling? Because I'm pretty sure she wasn't that "high born".

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:10 am 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
Is Talissa supposed to be Jeyne Westerling? Because I'm pretty sure she wasn't that "high born".

Eh, Talissa is their made-up character that replaces Jeyne Westerling for some unfathomable reason.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:26 am 

I'm guessing they're trying to avoid confusion with Sansa's friend Jeyne? Could be confusing for the... ahem, less smart people once season 5 rolls around.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:57 am 

Like why they changed Asha to Yara. Do they think viewers are really THAT dumb?

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:34 am 

Viewers ARE that dumb.

299796kms
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:51 pm 

Hence all the scenes of "I'm going to deliver some clumsily-written exposition while getting a blowjob."

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:52 pm 

Ok... Are they going to leave out all of Tywin Lannister's conniving? Because right now all we got is exposition theatre delivered by a shitty military tactician.

Spoiler: show
Without any of the treachery Tywin uses as his primary weapon to accomplish pretty much anything. Honestly, it's his entire character.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:56 pm 

Wat. We barely saw Tywin in book 2, so I don't know what you're referring to exactly...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:04 am 

I'm sorry for bringing this if it's considered internet trash but I laughed reading this:

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:15 am 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
I'm sorry for bringing this if it's considered internet trash but I laughed reading this:

"Always going on about climate change." :lol: :lol:

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:28 am 

That was the bit that got a laugh out of me, made the rest of it totally worthwhile.

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:33 pm 

That was brilliant lmfao

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:40 pm 

That was perfectly actually, loved the last few!

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:08 am 

I'm shocked at how accurate that pic is. Hah hah.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:46 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Wat. We barely saw Tywin in book 2, so I don't know what you're referring to exactly...

Well Arya doesn't spend all her free time with Tywin, either. So I think we can forego the literal book plot for a bit. My point is that I found it critically important that Tywin basically sucks at being an actual Lord. It explains his children so well.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:04 pm 

I give it to the show, that was an intence, epic and amazing battle they pulled off.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:59 pm 

Pod!!!! :metal:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:34 am 

Not much to say about this episode. I thought it kicked ass. No chain, but they got the other important parts down. The fact that Tyrion was the hero of the battle, and managed to hold off Stannis until Tywin came in and saved the day was still there, chain or not. I thought Clegane's freak out was a little underplayed, and the scene with Sansa was a bit weak, but that was really my only nitpick on the episode. They did manage to pull off an epic battle with a relatively low budget, got most of the key points right, Podrick was fucking awesome, and who else was excited to hear "The Rains of Castamere?"

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:34 am 

That certainly was a damn fine battle for the show's budget.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:58 am 

I think it's safe to ask about he chains now. What's about them?

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:34 pm 

Belial wrote:
I think it's safe to ask about he chains now. What's about them?

In the books, Tyrion had a gigantic chain forged to stretch across the Blackwater so that Stannis's ships couldn't escape the fire. He had it forged very early on and was questioned a lot by the smiths but he told them to just do it, and it worked a big wonder in the end.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:16 pm 

Finally a great episode! Gah... awesome...immense fireball holocaust...leg lop...so good.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:06 pm 

I loved some of the dialogue in the episode.

"If any man dies with a clean sword, I'll rape there fucking corpse!"

"There's Honorable men at our gate. Let's go kill them!"

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:29 pm 

From Entertainment Weekly, a partial list of new characters in season 3:

Quote:
– Mance Rayder: We’ve heard about him all season. A former member of the Night’s Watch who became the “King Beyond the Wall,” the leader of the Wildlings.

– Daario Naharis: A confident and seductive warrior.

– Jojen Reed; Meera Reed: A teenage brother and sister duo with special insights.

– Edmure Tully: A brash young member of the Tully family.

– Ser Brynden Tully (The Blackfish): Catelyn Stark’s uncle.

– Lady Selyse Florent: Stannis Baratheon’s wife.

– Shireen: Stannis’ daughter.

– Olenna Redwyne (The Queen of Thorns): Margaery Tyrell’s sharp-witted grandmother.

– Beric Dondarrion: A skilled knight who is the leader of the outlaw group Brotherhood Without Banners.

– Thoros of Myr: A red priest who follows the same religion as Melisandre.

– Tormund Giantsbane: A Wildling raider.

Interesting.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:36 pm 

Yeah! The Reeds are there!

I bet they'll choose a babe to play Selyse... :(

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

299796kms
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:11 pm 

I've only read the books once, but are Selyse and Shireen that important that they need to be cast?

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:13 pm 

Awesome news! Beric Dondarrion was cast already last season but I assume they're planning to recast him like they did with The Mountain due to them only having small cameos.

Selyse and Shireen are important (as is Patchface, though I think his character probably works better on paper than on film, maybe they will merge him with another character), but their importance is not really known yet. Lots of foreshadowing, especially in Book 5, but I assume they'll be introduced because of their future importance more than for their roles in Storm of Swords.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:58 pm 

I thought they made some poor decisions w/ season 2 but (I'm sure this has been said before) part of the problem is kind of inherent in that A Storm of Swords is really the climax of the first half of the series and that Clash spends a lot of time putting pieces in place for Storm and didn't have the same intrinsic momentum that made Game of Thrones (season 1) more natural to adapt. Season 3 and 4 should be pretty great, ASOS is my favorite of the books so far. Episode 9 was great, far and away the best of the season, but if Martin wrote all the episodes he'd probably never finish the books.

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:11 pm 

That explosion was badass. I adore Sandor Clegane. Awesome episode.

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:43 pm 

The show finally picks up. Even though it was probably the best episode of the season, some things still bugged me. Not enough to ruin it, but enough to be on my mind. I'll post in the next couple days though as I have a midterm tomorrow.

What I will say however is that the TV show is frustrating; there is so much good content from the books that could be used but isn't. Instead, they keep coming back to a lot of boring, non essential 1 on 1 dialogues, often accompanied by a naked courtesan.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:59 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
From Entertainment Weekly, a partial list of new characters in season 3:

Quote:
– Mance Rayder: We’ve heard about him all season. A former member of the Night’s Watch who became the “King Beyond the Wall,” the leader of the Wildlings.

– Daario Naharis: A confident and seductive warrior.

– Jojen Reed; Meera Reed: A teenage brother and sister duo with special insights.

– Edmure Tully: A brash young member of the Tully family.

– Ser Brynden Tully (The Blackfish): Catelyn Stark’s uncle.

– Lady Selyse Florent: Stannis Baratheon’s wife.

– Shireen: Stannis’ daughter.

– Olenna Redwyne (The Queen of Thorns): Margaery Tyrell’s sharp-witted grandmother.

– Beric Dondarrion: A skilled knight who is the leader of the outlaw group Brotherhood Without Banners.

– Thoros of Myr: A red priest who follows the same religion as Melisandre.

– Tormund Giantsbane: A Wildling raider.

Interesting.

If this is true, I am very happy.

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:31 pm 

No Brave Companions (yet?) though. I hope they make it into the final cut. Vargo Hoat would make a great TV character, but I guess if they really had to they could merge him with another character. Wouldn't be the same. Qyburn is kind of essential, especially later on, not sure how they would bring him in without having the Brave Companions, but I suppose it could be done. Shagwell is also somewhat noteworthy (to a much lesser degree) but I can't really see him as a TV character. I always imagined some kind of jumpy anime ninja when reading the parts he was in. The rest could really be reduced to extras

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:27 am 

Messiah_X wrote:
No Brave Companions (yet?) though. I hope they make it into the final cut. Vargo Hoat would make a great TV character

Oh, he wasn't in that list, but there recently was a leaked audition video (it was removed since then) from actor Ned Dennehy for the role of Vargo Hoat, so it seems pretty certain the character will be in season 3. That actor does a pretty good job of it, I thought. He doesn't do the lisp, mind you, but that possibly wouldn't work out too well on screen and might make him a bit too goofy.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:30 am 

I looked that guy up, and maan, he looks like he would fit in the show well.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Clowndoe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:41 am 

Indecency wrote:
often accompanied by a naked courtesan.

Huh, if that's true then I might have to check out the show just to make sure.

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:29 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
He doesn't do the lisp, mind you, but that possibly wouldn't work out too well on screen and might make him a bit too goofy.

Ah too bad. I wanted to hear him say "thaphireth"

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:39 pm 

Who didn't?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:47 pm 

It seems like that SNL skit was barely exaggerated. From Neil Marshall, director of episode 9 regarding the nudity in the show:

Quote:
It was pretty surreal. I’d not done anything like that in my films before. But the weirdest part was when you have one of the exec producers leaning over your shoulder, going, “You can go full frontal, you know. This is television, you can do whatever you want! And do it! I urge you to do it.” So I was like, “Okay, well, if you— you’re the boss.” This particular exec took me to one side and said, “Look, I represent the pervert side of the audience, okay? Everybody else is the serious drama side—I represent the perv side of the audience, and I’m saying I want full frontal nudity in this scene.” So you go ahead and do it.

Good gods, HBO... :facepalm: :roll:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next