* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:47 am 

Niiiiice.

Charles Mingus - Group Dancers

This is a part of a jazz milestone (The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady). Though Mingus was also a top bassist (both solo and as part of the band), it's Mingus the composer to whom we owe this fascinatingly emotional piece. Mingus had already shown on other albums such as Pithecanthropus Erectus his knack for very personal sounding pieces and this flamenco-flavoredpiece does not shy away from that approach. Most of the musicians involved here - except Mingus himself - were not big names in the jazz biz, but they pulled off an excellent performance. Flute, baritone saxophone, flamenco guitar and trumpet are the most prominent instruments on this piece and drive it smoothly from a fluttering, bitter yet graceful, sped-up waltz in the beginning to the heated flamenco rhythmic investigations constituting the actual core (I believe that the drumming backbone shines especially on this section) and the heavy, angry interplay of the finale. One could not really tell that this album was made using overdubbing before seeing that the personnel is small compared to the density of the piece. I don't listen to this album on a regular basis, and this is most likely due to the fact that it is so rich and personal that listening to it daily would be exhausting to the listener and somewhat of an insult to the greatness that it signifies. Pure cream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqGWBmTP7jc

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:34 am 

Ornette Coleman - The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I'm ashamed to admit I could never get into jazz; outside of the Grim Fandango soundtrack (which is probably closer to pop jazz than the real mccoy), a smattering of tracks that came on while I had NPR playing in the background and whatever the music accompanying those most artistic and intellectual scenes in a Skinemax film is, I've all but ignored the entire genre. Unfortunately, this track probably isn't going to win over jazz noobs like myself or impel anyone to seek out the cornerstones of the genre.

The Jungle Is a Skyscraper is an incredibly dense 5.5 minutes absolutely overflowing with insanely complex drumming (check out the drum solo at 0:16 to 1:35!), lightning fast sax and trumpet arpeggios and a bass that probably plays more notes in this single song than a session bassist for top 40 pop acts does in his entire lifetime. While I can definitely hear the quality, I feel like any evaluation or even deep analysis on my part wouldn't be able to do it justice. Trying to review this would be like if a guy who only ever read comic books tried to write a dissertation on James Joyce's Ulysses. So basically what I'm trying to say is that it's so fly it flew right over my head.

And now for something a liiiiiitle bit easier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZBDmFXLSIs
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:39 pm 

Port Noir - Neon

Man, so this was kind of weird. It sounds like maybe alternative rock from a decade ago (with maybe some slight goth undertones, not entirely sure I know what I'm talking about for this sort of stuff). But instead of rock guitars it's backed with a pretty rudimentary electronic beat with guitars being used only occasionally. I found the electronics very boring and repetitive (not at all in a hypnotic way, it's just sort of grating) and the drum beats are perhaps the most unimaginative of all time. The guys voice is pretty interesting and honestly I think this could make a pretty legit straightforward alternative rock song, but the electronics kind of kill it for me. I didn't particularly hate it, just no reason I would ever listen to this again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tp4srXRZDI

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:52 pm 

I think it's worth reviving this thread.

The Stooges - Gimme Danger

I have actually never listened to the Stooges, shamefully enough. It's a song with an amazing riff that builds up more and more until it finally reaches an amazing peak. It's got a lot of swagger, with both acoustic and distorted guitars playing in counterpoint, and both played with a lot of meanness, as well. Iggy's voice croons and shouts menacingly, reminding me somewhat of the rawer Teddy Boy bands of the 60's. All in all, it's a pretty solid proto-punk song that's unpretentious in vision. A real banger.

Gonna post patriotic Eastern European buttrock as an experiment. I don't like it but it's not awful by any stretch; just curious to see others' reactions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46m7pK1SINc

Belastbar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:39 pm 

Nice, it's this thread again! I thought about reviving it as well in the past, but never came around to it.

Thompson - Zaustavi se Vjetre

Oh boy, it's eastern european schlager. The song starts promising enough, with a verse that could also be turned into a dark wave song. I really like the sound of the kick, it sounds mysterious and pulls the listener into the song. However, soon after wards, the cheese starts, with a noodely tremolo picked guitar. Also, what really bugs me, the bass switches from playing 8ths notes to half notes, which totally changes the feel from forward moving rock to silly schunkel music. And of course, after that we get a chorus that perfects the beer fest atmosphere, it's epic and extremely cheap sounding at the same time.

I must say, I think there's a good song idea in the verse, but all the cheese and the unmotivated schlager stuff breaks it's neck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Ct5gJMDmw

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:47 pm 

Tigran Hamaysan - To Negate

This starts off really cool. We get this portentous dark piano, soon joined by exotic percussion and some awesome Middle-Eastern chanting. This goes on for two minutes and it's a vibe I can really dig. Then very boring normal drums come in and it starts sounding like the dude is trying to play rock on piano. It just sounds contrived and forced and doesn't work at all. I'd think it was really cool if it just continued on like the beginning but the change in direction ruined it for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRja1gNP6nA

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22