* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:05 pm 

@ Scorntyrant/re: Coil

Spoiler: show
Ok, so I had originally written a review for this song, but the browser crashed and I was unable to post it before the end of my lunch break the other day, so I decided to let someone else take it. The song never did get a proper review and it left a big impression on me so i've decided to re-post what I'd originally written about it after all.

Coil: "Ostia (The Death of Pasolini)

Coil, a "classic" band that I never really listened to, except for occasionally being played on a local goth/industrial radio programme many years ago when I wasn't much ready for them. So many artistic and historical allusions here, it's difficult to know what they are getting at, except a sense of melancholy and, almost, a feeling of frustrated mystery, like being at the threshold to some esoteric gnosis yet always falling ever just short of attaining it. At first I was a little bemused by the high-pitched sound of some synthetic string note held through the duration of long swaths of the music and almost out-of-phase with the rest of the instrumentation, but as it merged with the quick bowings of what sound like a real cello, it begins to make a ghastly sort of sense, like the "humming of the bones". The instrumentation is sparse and hypnotic, the vocals a droning, ddrugged-seeming moan obsessively calling out those refrains until the end of time. This was really haunting somehow and has stuck with me for days now.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:57 pm 

The Church: "Fields of Mars"

Warm, cocooning, beautiful,....are words I would use to describe this piece of music. I feel that the lyrics may be quite melancholy, yet the decidedly major-key arrangement, almost folkrock guitar but with that reverberating, 80s "post punk" sound, and those big, cushiony drums all contribute to this feeling of well-being and ascendency that this song generates. While much of this kind of music seems to have a cold, alienating presence, this is a different sort of trip entirely. This song would work equally well as a big sweeping rock arrangement or a quiet campfire tune, and that I think is a part of its true strength. There's a slight increase in drum tempo toward the end and a crescendo with a powerful guitar solo fed through some distortion effects; this is certainly the climax of the piece, and I felt I was being given a glimpse into stellar greatness. I am somewhat familiar with this band, but never heard this album...got to look into it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxrvkxx_4IQ

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:55 pm 

Abominatrix, re the Church discography:

Very nice review!

These guys have a pretty large discography. I have around 12 titles including their first several releases, their latest one, and a scattering of ones in between.

My two favorites that I'd definitely recommend first are The Blurred Crusade (1982) and Priest = Aura (1992). The Blurred Crusade is their second LP and like their first, it has shorter, more concise and catchy songs that are sort of in a sixties psych/pop style. Priest = Aura is more experimental, atmospheric, and epic. I think it's a very original, amazing album.
http://www.allmusic.com/album/priest-aura-r3986/review

Hologram of Baal and Seance are good too. Starfish is probably their biggest selling or most popular album and it contains the single "Under the Milky Way" which was played/popular in the US for a moment in the 80s. Recently got Magician Among the Spirits and Sometime Anywhere and thought they were both kind of weak compared to the rest. I've found a few of their discs at thrift stores for a couple of dollars.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:29 pm 

Hawkwind - Days of the Underground

So what we have here is a bizarre 70s progressive space rock sound. This is most certainly one of the harbingers of latter era avant-garde bands. Instrumentally, there is a steady rock beat with lots of spacey synth sounds overtop. It's got a decent melody and the execution is quite excellent. The vocals are delivered in a deliberate attempt to evoke a sense of panic, at least that's what my impression of it is. It's strange, it reminds me of Magma to a degree (only in English, not Kobaïan) only a bit more accessible. It certainly succeeds in stimulating the imagination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqXD7e_oCrQ

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

jerk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:39 pm 

Toad the Wet Sprocket - "Windmill"

Sounds very typical "adult alternative" to me. It starts out slow with a steady bass drum beat and acoustic guitar riffs. The singer is singing in your typical plaintive alt-rock ballad style. The song releases tension a few times throughout with some drum fills, a few bits of synth background and some very nice harmonies. Not coincidentally, these are the best parts - the rest just ends up riding on the acoustic parts, which aren't interesting enough to carry it by itself. I do like the lyrics - more typical alt-rock ballad stuff, but crafted well enough. Not bad, but doesn't make much of an impression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIfKqgWPVvk&ob=av2e

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:35 pm 

These New Puritans - "We Want War"

I found this song a bit strange. It had a somewhat tribal sound to it, very pounding and percussive. Though there was a steady flow and evolution to the sound, the song didn't quite go anywhere for me. In short it was kind of boring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WgT9gy4zQA

The artist of this song is Lemon Demon

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:53 pm 

lemon demon - the ultimate showdown

i remember hearing this way back in the day before i got into metal, along with that numa numa thing, space people, and all the old school internet stuff. decent sound quality, nice organ and bass playing there. good rhythm, 90's style alternative vocals. catchy riffs too. good song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fILY6WJw ... plpp_video

boredoms - bubblebop shot

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:49 pm 

Haha, The Ultimate Showdown, I used to love that one as a kid.

Boredoms - Bubblebop Shot.

Yeahh... so this is suppppeeerrr shitty. Like I get that it's supposed to be all ''experimental'' but it just sounds terrible. It's hard to listen to the whole thing once just for the purpose of this review. The vocals sound like a retard who found a microphone somehow and decided to yell random bullshit into it. There's zero coherence or musicality to his performance. It dosen't sound ''unhinged'' or ''insane'' it just makes me want to rip my ears off. The instruments seem to just hit any notes they feel like, with no thought given to actually making a song. Urgh. Next.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrHiJXfksh8

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:46 am 

Chris De Burgh - Don't Pay The Ferryman

I liked the song, very Pop Rock. A great voice, very melodic, and i liked the keyboards, very catchy from beginning to end. The entire song was good from beginning to end. A very beautiful and charming song, perfect for relaxing or just putting attention to the music, because it's very worth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYyOWCoCXTs

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:33 am 

It's cool that you liked it man. Some people find it cheesy, but I find it epic as hell. Probably tied with Spanish Train for his best song.

jerk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:43 am 

Warrant - "All My Bridges Are Burning"

Hang on, is that the Warrant? As in, "Cherry Pie" Warrant? Well, yes, it is, but quite a bit better. There's a bit of a harder edge here than the fluff of their first two albums, with a slightly heavier style of riffing and some more aggressive singing, but there's still some sheen with the harmonies and the slightly reverberated drum sound. Overall, it's not much different from any other hair metal band, but it gets some good will anyway with some catchy riffing and a huge chorus (though it could do with a bit of a longer solo). Warrant were never one of the leading lights of hair metal, but this is overall a pretty solid and well-crafted song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VelS-YCtHV4

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:02 am 

jerk wrote:

Pere Ubu - Final Solution

I fucking love this. I've never heard of the band, and I wanted to wait until I'm done reviewing this to look them up. It sounds like the music is being played by punks, but it doesn't sound like punk. Does that make this post-punk? I have no idea. Its some kind of moody rock n' roll, but its got this laidback shuffling kind of gait to it...makes me feel too cool for school if I'm being honest. I just want to strut around to this... The vocalist has a really open and honest singing tone, not "technical" but very pleasant. Love the bass sound, love the really simple solo towards the end. Will definitely be checking out more from this band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-qP8w5VGW0

jerk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:27 am 

@Jonpo:

Glad you liked it. Pere Ubu are a bit of a weird case - they formed in 1975, so they didn't really fit in with straight punk and it was kind of too early for post-punk. Definitely check out their discography - I'd reccommend any of their first five albums (except maybe Song of the Bailing Man, which isn't as good as the others). New Picnic Time is my personal favourite. They've been fairly consistent in their later output, but the best two would be St. Arkansas and The Tenement Year (though that one's a bit more poppy than most of their work). They actually had a modern rock hit with "Waiting for Mary" in 1989, but the album that it came off (Cloudland) and the two after it are a bit of a weak patch in my opinion. Also be warned, a lot of their early output is pretty strange - when "Final Solution" is one of your more accessible early songs, you know there's some good shit on their first five albums :P

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:25 pm 

Thanks for the heads up. I was just reading up about them. I'm interested in hearing a full album, but it sounds like they might get a bit too far "out there" for me. We'll see. Thanks for putting me onto them, either way. This thread is a success.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:51 pm 

Jonpo wrote:

Quite fucking excellent. An instrumental piece that sounds like gypsy folklore with a 70s progressive rock twist and just a hint of (tasty) jazz, for the most part, until near the end were it briefly contemplates the idea of flirting with hard/heavy with a strong build-up upon the build-up that already was the rest of the song, just before having second thoughts and fading away just as the arpeggio leitmotiv comes back to the forefront. This has almost no drums for the most part (except for the heavier passage I mentioned), just a very brief kick drum at the beginning, and instead percussions reign supreme, with the one tambourine almost constantly marking the (suspension of) time, and some feverish yet stationary rhythmic pattern played on a djembe in the middle (or similar; I'm no percussive instruments expert). This really gives a laid-back and, frankly, stoned feel to the whole thing; in a good way. The commanding bass line is completely obsessed and obsessive, although there's a lot of variation in its form throughout the piece. The meat is in the three (or more) acoustic guitars playing together and/or against one another for the bulk of the thing, displaying a more than fair level of proficiency, but above all a truckload of feeling; and it's all built around the leitmotiv which, to an extent and although it may predate it and certainly has nothing to do with it per se, reminds me of Iommi's "Scarlet Pimpernel". Yeah, this is excellent stuff in general, and way more so if, like me, you're deeply connected to the sound of the power and beauty of the unleashed acoustic guitar. Nice!

And now, I give you this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY_WcHc8EaI

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:35 pm 

@Abom & co
OH. Almost forgot: Nice thread, and all that! Now I'll have twice as much impossibly time-consuming catching up to do. :D
Seriously, though: this complements the metal one very nicely. First time I ever found myself posting in the Tavern, I think.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:22 am 

Kings of the Sun - Drop the Gun

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" - this is basically Fly on the Wall-era AC/DC if Bon Scott was still in the band. And it's pretty well-done. Unfortunately I can't really think of anything else to say about it, though. It rocks, which is about as much as I can ever say about these types of bands/songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb13CbUO11M

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:36 am 

@Turner; Re: Drop the gun
I never considered Kings of the Sun sounded really close to AC/DC, to be honest; still don't even now that you did make the comparison. Don't get me wrong, I used to be a huge AC/DC fan for years, and I still quite like and appreciate a lot of their stuff, including 'Fly on the Wall', but I feel the comparison sells KotS a bit short in this instance. I mean, they both primarily qualify as hard rock, but that's about it, I'd say. For one thing, have you paid any attention to the drumming at all? On the one hand, we have a band that has always expected of their drummers to be little more than a human metronome; on the other hand, we have a band that sports exciting, nervous drum rolls and fills all over the place, and even does a mini-drum solos here and there. Apart from that, well, KotS plays faster, meaner riffs than FotW-era AC/DC, and with much more frequent and sudden tempo changes. The singer does have a rocking madman narrator quality to his approach that isn't far removed form Bon Scott's style, though, I agree with that. But overall, KotS are closer to Dokken or early Van Halen than they are AC/DC, I'd say. Well, at least you liked it, I... think. Also, it rocks? Errr... yeaah? :nods:

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:10 am 

Turner wrote:

This was quite lush, and brimming with that feeling of a cold washed-out afternoon, just after some rain with the sun trying to show itself briefly. Her voice is rather intriguing, quietly filled with a sense of calm, contemplative sadness clashing with indecision and confusion, clouded with a hint of whimsy. I actually liked her voice quite a bit, and is naturally the main focus of the whole number, with it's smokey power, yet controlled enough to be warm and intimate. The addition of a short burst of lightly distorted guitar was a pleasant flourish, giving some depth to the carefully constructed acoustic backbone. The further into the track you go, the more the depth is revealed, giving way to sensuous strings sitting comfortably behind the main "face" of the number. This is a well thought out and delivered song, which does keep giving after repeated listens.

I'll have a go..

My collection

Last edited by CrushedRevelation on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:51 am 

Depeche Mode - Walking in my shoes

Nice one. Haven't heard this song and the corresponding album for a long time. I never was a big DM fan but definetely enjoyed many of their classic tracks from the 80s and also this stuff from the early nineties. When this came out it I was in my probably most intolerant "Metal only" phase ( ;) ) but somehow DM and their sound got me. This surely brings back a lot of memories from that time and besides that it's a great, brooding and epic track with a fitting atmosphere of both gloominess and anger (though in a form suited for the mainstream market). Swet, gotta put on the album later the day.

my next one for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a41S3dp_U_s
(damn, how I love this band - regardless of what their "regular audience" might come from... it's only th music that counts ;)

(edited for reviewing...)

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:29 am 

@CrushedRevelation
yeah mate, i instantly loved almost everything i've heard from her. she's completely unheard of in australia, the only reason i'd heard of her was because an exchange student from austria that lived next door to me a few years ago played a couple of her songs. i think she might be popular in denmark (she's danish) but otherwise kinda overlooked. and just because this is in a spoiler, i'll list a few other songs you should look up. i'd add youtube links, but german youtube is a bit of a cunt:

count to ten
on the run
he doesn't know
london
friend in a bar (my personal favourite)

jerk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:47 am 

The Birthday Massacre - "Video Kid"

A lot of tropers seem to like this band a lot, but I never got around to checking them out. The plinky keyboard part and odd sound effects at the beginning were pretty intriguing, sounding almost "NES soundtrack" in a way, and they combined surprisingly well with the surprisingly heavy riffing and dance-style beat that came afterwards (I was expecting something a bit more low-key). The verses almost sound let something you would hear in a club, but the slightly cheap-sounding keyboards stop it from being too overproduced. The singer has a very light and girlish tone to her voice, which reminds me of the kind of voice I hear in a lot of J-pop - not my favourite vocal style, admittedly, but I don't think anything else would have worked. The only real problem is she tends to get drowned out by the guitar, which is irritating. Overall, I think this is pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6eBFoGyfGk

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:23 am 

@jerk:

the production problem with her voice got better with further releases. The song I linked to is an earlier song and they rel. some more albums after that. Def. worth checking out. Full of great 80s synth and crunchy guitars!

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:58 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdPKKJk_mLw

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:36 am 

Scorntyrant, I'm going to assume you fell asleep at the wheel there or something because I know you know how this thing works already.

Tango in the Attic: "Paw Prints"

The samba-like rhythm that operates throughout this tune was pretty neat, and while there were some nice variations happening throughout, it kept that basic formula going, and I don't know, perhaps this is unusual for this sort of music, but it got my feet tapping and my head nodding, anyway. Unfortunately there wasn't really a lot else for me to enjoy about this. The vocals sounded kind of careless and were delivered in, if you'll excuse me, what I would term a "douchey" whine. The guitars and what I believe was a synth seemed overdriven in the mix and while I think I heard some interesting and even unusual chording going on, it felt almost pointlessly noisy. I don't know, I think you can safely say that I didn't entirely "get" this...sure, the rhythm was cool, but I think I need a little more of something...melody, passion, or maybe even just a slightly tweaked sound to make everything feel a little less washed out. Also, that vocalist...yikes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF-JWzqA6DI

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:29 am 

Heh, must have taken my eyes off the wheel there as you say.

warhorse - "Burning."

driving keyboard-heavy psych rock/ Proto Heavy Metal here. Sounds a hell of a lot like like steppenwolf, but with echoes of Jethro Tull, Hendrix, Hawkwind, Blue Cheer etc etc. An interesting time in the development of the Metal sound - still rooted in the blues and not yet infected by the depressive aspect that later came to define parts of Doom metal and early HM. If you were so inclined you could draw a direct evolutionary line between this and, say, Kyuss/desert rock.there is a lot to like in that sort of proto-metal sound, but it seems so distant in a way. Metal being about good times/getting high/girls etc seems so far away from my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPrggzCr ... re=related

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:02 pm 

@ Scorntyrant

Well said, man. Although, I think the "let's get high and have good times!" aspect of this sort of music is often over-emphasised, and many of these bands weren't above/below penning the odd existential hymn or painful excursion. While it isn't as though there was a huge change in peoples' views and outlook on everything when 1970 came around, I do think the 70s were a pretty tenebrous, uneasy time and this is reflected in its music just as much as the sense of hope and freedom that one often feels from 1960s rock. In fact, that Warhorse album contains some fairly dark subject matter in its way, and one of the songs, "SOlitude", outdoes the Candlemass tune of the same name in my view in terms of a cry of angst and loss. It's a very special song/album for me because the person who introduced it to me is now gone from this world and I'll never be able to hear that piece in particular without thinking of him. If you're curious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hupvkFdMtA4

jerk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:20 pm 

Sol Invictus - "Laws and Crowns"

So, what we have here is some pretty interesting neofolk. The acoustic part that opens the song and the subtle bass riffs really set a mood, but the spoken word part isn't really necessary. The first verse is fantastic, with drums, distorted guitars and violin really complimenting the acoustic parts when they come in. The vocals are kind of rough around the edges, but they have plenty of passion and really compliment the somber mood. and the harmony parts are excellent. The brass part in the instrumental bridge I could do without, but otherwise this is a triumph of arrangement. This is something I could almost imagine a folk metal band playing. Will definitely have to check out more of Sol Invictus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftGBSSAt0xo

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:19 pm 

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - Hush the Warmth

... Wow! This reminds me to a degree of The Beatles and 60s and 70s British psychedelic rock in general. An excellent mid-tempo number with a folky vibe that also brings to mind some Rainbow songs (such as The Temple of the King). It's catchy and poppy without being overtly commercial and unoriginal, even though this band's influences are quite clear, they manage to truly pull off a sound of their own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxY1jUq15b4

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:18 am 

Sister Hazel: "Beautiful High"

Sounds like something I would have heard on the radio around 1998 or so. I'm reminded of a lot of bands, but maybe it's more of just a certain sound that belongs to a certain time and place. It's a catchy, chill little song with the focus being heavily oriented toward the singing; especially that chorus with the pretty harmonies, which feels like the bit of the song that was written first and its basic reason for existence. The guitar sound is warm and pleasant, and none of the players stretch their abilities in any sense. I don't really dislike this but it feels like the sort of song you would only really have a strong connection with if you were driving around in your car on a nice summer day and decided to pull over somewhere and make out with that female passenger of yours. It reminds me of being a teen, or at least what being a teen in a North American town is supposed to be like according to all the TV programmes and stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBavPZr5SIY

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:03 am 

Can – Paperhouse

Experimental rock from an artist that I probably should be, but am not, familiar with. Overall, it’s pretty eccentric but still calm music. Soft, almost crooning, vocals are layered on top of more unconventional guitar playing with some prominent and maybe even jazzy drumming pounding along for most of the song. Clocking in at seven and a half minutes, the song seems pretty long to me. Even with moments where the music varies itself up with sections where the vocalist became more aggressive/soft or the instrumentation took a slight departure, the song wasn’t really able to hold my attention for its entirety. I can definitely see how they would be popular with a lot of other people, but I guess it’s just a style of music that doesn’t really appeal to me very much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjDb5OewYco

jerk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:59 am 

Death In June - "Many Enemies Bring Much Honor"

It didn't need the German part at the beginning, but when it comes in, it sounds great. The acoustic guitar, strings and whispery baritone vocals work fantastically together - it didn't surprise me to learn that Sol Invictus' Tony Wakeford used to be a member of this band. Anyway, it just goes on nicely for a while, with occasional keyboard parts and spoken word samples spicing it up. I think the best part is the subtle choral part in the background of the chorus, which really makes it soar. The problem is, it's repetitive - once the arrangement falls into place, it doesn't really change. Thank God it's not the same thing for eight and a half minutes (the video's about twice as long as the song), or I wouldn't have been able to get through it. It has a nice arrangement, but there's not much dynamic to it, which is the real thing that gave Sol Invictus an edge over this. Also, the YouTube comments say that "many enemies bring much honor" is a fascist motto, which makes me a bit uneasy.

Something a little more straightforward, perhaps? (Well, anything would be straightforward after me failing to describe that Can track...) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kukN5ZLhFLA

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:39 pm 

jerk wrote:
Death In June - "Many Enemies Bring Much Honor"

It didn't need the German part at the beginning, but when it comes in, it sounds great. The acoustic guitar, strings and whispery baritone vocals work fantastically together - it didn't surprise me to learn that Sol Invictus' Tony Wakeford used to be a member of this band. Anyway, it just goes on nicely for a while, with occasional keyboard parts and spoken word samples spicing it up. I think the best part is the subtle choral part in the background of the chorus, which really makes it soar. The problem is, it's repetitive - once the arrangement falls into place, it doesn't really change. Thank God it's not the same thing for eight and a half minutes (the video's about twice as long as the song), or I wouldn't have been able to get through it. It has a nice arrangement, but there's not much dynamic to it, which is the real thing that gave Sol Invictus an edge over this. Also, the YouTube comments say that "many enemies bring much honor" is a fascist motto, which makes me a bit uneasy.

Something a little more straightforward, perhaps? (Well, anything would be straightforward after me failing to describe that Can track...) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kukN5ZLhFLA

You should also be aware this is a cover of sorts. The original is by Der Blutharsch. If Fascist undercurrents bother you, DI6 probably isnt the band for you.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:05 am 

The Milk - B-Roads

At first I wasn't sure what to expect, the introduction almost hinted at toward a hip-hop style song. It's definitely urban, but it's more classic sounding. Would this be R&B? It's slightly jazzy and catchy in its instrumentation. Actually kind of reminds me of Kool & The Gang (who I saw perform live with Van Halen last month). Anywho, let's get to the best part of this song - the vocals. Fantastic! Might not be exposed to too much of it but I quite like this vocal style, and the singer of this band absolutely nails it! I hope these guys get famous because they deserve it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2JRGv91urY

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:46 am 

Goatfangs wrote:

There is absolutely no denying the talent shown in abundance here, the way this woman plays a double bass is quite remarkable, coupled with her blatantly made-for-jazz voice, soaring in and around the musical underpinnings. But that's where the admiration ends for me, and call me uneducated in the ways of this style of music, but...it was dull. It was beautiful, beautiful yet eventually dull. The arrangement was skillful, but didn't soothe me, or lull me in with it's smoke filled bar-like atmosphere, where people sitting around small tables with red candle holders would no doubt be in complete awe. To me it just sounds like jazz (correct me if I'm wrong), plain ol' jazz, with an excellent vocalist. I guess this is the real problem here for me, I don't see it as being dynamic enough to be interesting, instead it relies on a genres cliches. Not for me.

Something more upbeat?

My collection

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:01 pm 

Covenant - The Beauty and the Grace

This is great. Soothing synths and vocals. The instuments are basically all electronic, not really a genre I've delved into much, but this makes me feel like I should. It's actually quite a haunting song, it's kind of like if really good post-punk got mixed with a bit of gothic vocals and went electronic. That could just be me though :p I would listen to this while contemplating existence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAdPQkW9jrI

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:30 pm 

Tom Waits - Black Market Baby

Finally I get to listen to Tom Waits. His name and face are well known, sure, but for whatever reason I never listened to a single song of him. To be honest - this song didn't made me regret that ;) It's not bad per se but def. not my cup of tea. While I like the somewhat odd and uneasy atmosphere created by the acoustic instruments and some strange ploddings and sounds (can't describe them really good) as well as the screechy electric guitar "solo" and also his voice being somewhat special it was hard listening the song for the five minutes to it's end. I see why people might be drawn to this music, just not for me.

But despite being not my music this song had the strange "power" to create some kind of imagery/scene in my mind and this is sth I fully appreciate and like!

ok, here's my next one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMaVOcLHygE

(edited for reviewing)

jerk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:15 pm 

Nephew - "Igen Og Igen"

I was surprised to learn that this wasn't an actual 80's band, because they sound a hell of a lot like 80's new wave. Like, exactly like it. Not that this is a bad thing. I love the guitar in the intro, and there's a nice melodic bassline underpinning the entire thing. It's not totally drowned in synths like a lot of material from the 80's was, so they get a good chance to shine. The lead singer is also pretty good - he kind of reminds me of a slightly higher and less slurry Dave Gahan (not that I'm that well-versed in this style). It's hard to write a song that can be catchy to people even who don't speak the language it's in, but Nephew have pulled it off. It's a great indie pop tune, and if they were ever to sing in English (hope not), they could be a big commercial success in the US or UK. Also, nice video. Always good to see dancing skeletons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cbUW2EY4KE

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:05 am 

@Turner
Thanks for the extra songs to check out mate! The song you posted was somewhat interesting, and I might make further investigation into this, quite frankly gorgeous woman.

@Necro
Glad you liked that one man, it's actually my favoutite from their latest album Modern Ruin, and your description isn't that far off either. I would heartily recommend (most of) their back catalog as well, especially the Northern Lights and Skyshaper albums, as they are all class. I will be posting a lot more electronic music of similar style in this thread, and some harsher, so if you want to check out some bands of this particular genre (and there are many good to great ones), keep an eye on my posts eh? :wink:

My collection

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:46 pm 

The English Beat - Mirror in the Bathroom

Ska is a genre where I usually love or hate the song. I'm generally not all that into ska, but there are some songs that really do it for me. This would be one of those songs. The song has a strong 80s vibe (not sure when it was actually recorded) and seems to have some Police influence. The song is really catchy and features a talented saxophonist, the guitar is quite cool, too. In all, this is a very catchy song worth listening to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx4PsxUvMqY

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next