Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:10 am 

Breaking Bad Season 5 is underway and I thought we could use this thread to deeply discuss this great show separately outside of the TV Thread.
What do you expect this coming season and how do you like the show so far?
http://www.salon.com/2012/07/16/breakin ... nd_begins/

Last edited by SleightOfVickonomy on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:29 am 

I'm almost positive Walt's gonna die by the end of the season, other than that, I just hope that Skyler and Ted subplot dies out soon. The whole thing's just circling the toilet at this point, the way ted nearly dies after slipping into the end of a table was just ridiculous, I woulda expected that from a 3 stooges episode but not Breaking Bad. I'd much rather see a subplot involving something with Mike (being my favorite character in the series). The first episode seems very promising, I love how this show constantly keeps you guessing as to what the hell might happen next. sucks that we gotta wait 'till spring to watch the final half of the series though...

DeathBySuicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:53 am 

Breaking Bad has always been wonderfully scripted! I am looking forward to this season...Walt will die,I just don't see how that can be avoided!

altered_vlad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:44 pm 

I quit watching the show halfway through the 3rd season. I highly enjoyed the 1st season, the second one was bordering on absurdity but still watchable, the third one was fucking stupid, the writing went downhill; juvenile situations out from the fantasies of a teenager for the sake of (cheap) suspense.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:25 pm 

Compared to Weeds, I enjoy this show much more. It get's hard to watch sometimes though, Walter White's family members really make me cringe.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:42 pm 

The latest episode was really fun, it was good to see Jesse and Walt teaming up without the arguments and serious negativity of earlier seasons. I'm glad the creator kept his promise to make Jesse and Walt more friendly this season, as clearly evident in the first episode. I really liked this element along with the quirky humour, that all changed around the time of the Jane situation.

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:16 pm 

I managed to not watch any of this yet, but everyone's talking about it everywhere. I feel the need to start watching it (from the beginning) on Netflix tonight.
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:27 pm 

First of all its not the last season, there is still season 6 in 2013. Walt isn't going to die any time sooner. Even if he is going to die, they would show that he actually relocated or something to Ohio or something.

Sooner or later smaller cartels and drug delars would know abotu the open market in the area and would try to capture it. Walt knows more than anyone that he must keep that market to himself. The question now is how. Because have just 3 employees will not cut it to control an area as big as Gus's. I think half this season would be a cat/mouse game between Hank and Walt. I think by the end of season 5 Walt would finally "successfully" get Hank to close the case some how and move on. That's my prediction for season 5. I don't know how season 6 would play out.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:36 am 

Yahko wrote:
First of all its not the last season, there is still season 6 in 2013.

You say that like you know it for a fact, whereas everything I have read mentions nothing about a Season 6 being confirmed.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:42 am 

He's pulling that out of his ass. Vince Gilligan said this was the last season.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:29 am 

Yeah, from what I've heard, this is the last season. And rightfully so; the series really doesn't have a long term route to take that could feasibly live up to the quality of these first few seasons. Anyway, I loved the debut episode last night. Much like the last couple of seasons, I found myself pissed off by the end of the episode. Not because its bad, but because the pacing of the storyline is so good and always manages to keep you wanting more. Gets very hard waiting the whole week....every episode ups the ante just a little more and I really love the sort of existential adventure Walt has been on in this series since finding out he had cancer. At this point its clear that he thinks hes untouchable and is sure to suffer a major downfall by seasons end, which, of course, will more than likely involve death or imprisonment. But until then, I'll enjoy watching him, Jesse, and Mike do their thing. :D

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:55 am 

Well, just watched the premiere.
Spoiler: show
That whole magnet scheme idea, and the operation itself was pretty cool.
Did anyone feel it was poorly written/realised though? Perhaps not even just that magnet whole thingy, but the episode in general seemed to lack flow and seem a little fumbling? The little pieces didn't all seem to well done, and didn't fit together or flow. Sure - there is some neat things that consitute the episode:
The cops finding Gus' Cayman Islands bank account, The conception/testing of the magnet idea, and the break in itself, a foreshadowy intro section, suggesting some heavy shit toward the end of the season
etc. But it was a bit fumbling and sloppily done. Look forward to what happens next though.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:27 am 

Remember what Mike told Jesse in this premiere episode? Take his half of the money and skip town like he was planning on doing. I'm guessing this is the strongest foreshadowing of the season and Jesse's gonna suffer.

The last season ended with Walt winning over Jesse to get Gus. Since all the major drug lords and threats are taken care of I'm guessing this season will be based on Walt vs. Jesse. And if I'm wrong, then probably just them 2 avoiding the cops. But a Walt vs. Jesse type showdown would be great and really hold true to the show showing the harsh consequences of people's actions.

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:08 am 

Season 5 is indeed split into two parts of 8 episodes each. Second half of season 5 would be aired in summer 2013 - so maybe its not season 6 in 2013 but I just called it season 6 just because its aired a year later. So we can call it season 5A and Season 5B for easier discussion.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:21 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:
Remember what Mike told Jesse in this premiere episode? Take his half of the money and skip town like he was planning on doing. I'm guessing this is the strongest foreshadowing of the season and Jesse's gonna suffer.

The last season ended with Walt winning over Jesse to get Gus. Since all the major drug lords and threats are taken care of I'm guessing this season will be based on Walt vs. Jesse. And if I'm wrong, then probably just them 2 avoiding the cops. But a Walt vs. Jesse type showdown would be great and really hold true to the show showing the harsh consequences of people's actions.

My guess is that this season will show that Walt's hubris will grow out of control. I think that defeating Gus has made him feel infallible and invincible. Walt's ego is going to put everyone around him in jeopardy. Mike sees it. Skylar sees it. Jesse is starting to see it but he's blinded to some extent by a loyalty to Walt. My guess is that there will be a point where Jesse is forced to choose between Mike and Walt.

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:39 pm 

Since we talk about Jesse vs. Walt - lets not forget that Jesse can cook up to the 90th % purity. So his ability to cook meth to a higher standard is now his skill. In the long run Jesse does not need Walt.

Creators of the show talk about Walt's death and we safely can say that Jesse would take Walt's place as the main Heisenberg. I think Hank would finally bust "Heisenberg" but then again the blue chips are back on the market and Jesse is the new successor just because out of respect to Walt as a teacher and not because of the drug creation. We seen it when Jesse was cooking in a trailer with his friend and then he didn't like the product and he threw it away. So he does believe in cooking better product.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:49 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
Yahko wrote:
First of all its not the last season, there is still season 6 in 2013.

You say that like you know it for a fact, whereas everything I have read mentions nothing about a Season 6 being confirmed.

Nothing has been confirmed, but there are reports of season 5 not being the final season now.

"Bryan Cranston has hinted that the series may continue after the season 5 finale, stating "Vince (Gilligan) feels that now we have too much story. We could actually go beyond those 16 episodes. It's not far-fetched. I wouldn't mind visiting that possibility. And this is coming from a guy who doesn't know anything of how the show's going to end. If it doesn't end up in a total apocalypse, who knows? Maybe we could revisit Walter White a year down the road and see where his life has gone. If he's still alive, that is."

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:30 am 

those dicks said a similar thing about season 4. Cool - they'll take one of the better drama shows of the last decade, grind it to the hilt, and leave everyone with a sour taste in their mouth and a bitter legacy. Nice going. Shitty network though, and American network at that, so should be expected. Just when you think a decent American show is gonna come along and do that British thang of bowing out while you're still ahead, they go and announce this shit? Very LBH.

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:48 am 

I was reading that Sony or some one signed a contract for 16 episodes which is season 5A and season 5B. Anything beyond that is going to be decided in August 2013 or something. As far as the direction of the series I don't think there is a need for season in 2014. They might as well just start a new series. There are plenty of series being shown on AMC like Mad Men, Walking Dead, The Killing. I think that they can do a different series after Breaking Bad ends in 2013.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:09 pm 

My brother told me it was lame, so I had low expectations for the first episode of season 5, but I thought it was pretty decent. That whole magnet plot was pretty hilarious. I think a sixth season could be a good idea if this season goes well, but I think if they do renew the show, the sixth should be the last.

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:03 pm 

iAm wrote:
Compared to Weeds, I enjoy this show much more. It get's hard to watch sometimes though, Walter White's family members really make me cringe.

Really?
I find Walt's family interesting...and I loved the subplot on Skyler. She was bound to find out sooner or later but I'm glad she put the pieces together on her own. For someone who is highly invested in grabbing the most emotionally out of her husband she had to find out on her own otherwise it would have seemed rather stupid had she chosen to swallow his darn yarn hook, line and sinker.

Hank cracks me up too half the time and I can't wait until he catches the obvious whiff in the air...he is lots smarter than most people give him credit for.

The one I actually can't stand is Jesse. I find him indelicate, obnoxious and pouty. a FUCKING POUTY WHINY LITTLE FUCK! Aaron Paul portrays him wonderfully...but darn, I hate him.
With his saggy pants and false eloquence...he will be the death of Walt, I tell y'all!

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:02 pm 

Tonight!

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:43 pm 

As far as I know Weeds has a lot more comedy in it. Its hard to compare Breaking Bad with Weeds. I think the reason Breaking Bad is successful because its very real and developing. I remember the first season which was more drama and much slower with less action. Now its a full on blown bag of dynamite which we nervously watch. It keeps growing and expanding - series like the Sopranos even were constantly the same with their own episode climaxes and such.

Weeds is a very good series but it has so much more comedy in it and its not really serious and scary like BB.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:35 pm 

Yahko wrote:
As far as I know Weeds has a lot more comedy in it. Its hard to compare Breaking Bad with Weeds. I think the reason Breaking Bad is successful because its very real and developing. I remember the first season which was more drama and much slower with less action. Now its a full on blown bag of dynamite which we nervously watch. It keeps growing and expanding - series like the Sopranos even were constantly the same with their own episode climaxes and such.

Weeds is a very good series but it has so much more comedy in it and its not really serious and scary like BB.

Same general concept. Completely average(okay maybe Walt isn't entirely average) suburbanite becomes drug dealer king pin.

SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
Hank cracks me up too half the time and I can't wait until he catches the obvious whiff in the air...he is lots smarter than most people give him credit for.

Hank is the worst. All his cocky mannerisms really irk me, but your right though. When he's in 'detective mode' he's a much better character. There are no redeeming qualities about Hanks wife though. She's just down right annoying. As for Walt's kid he reminds me of the character Jimmy in South Park so much I can't even take him seriously. As for Walt's wife, there was so much drama filler surrounding Skyler that it really ruined what would have been a great character.

I can't wait until Hank finally catches on, he always comes so close but Walt is always two steps ahead of him.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:42 pm 

Since this is an AMC show, who wants to bet that the female character that was just introduced will fuck everything up?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:18 am 

For sure, great episode too.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:03 am 

What I find fascinating about this last episode.....

It's well established that Mike's character is not manipulated by Walt. He knows Walt is pulling the strings with Jesse. But he's sort of forced to work for Walt now. So will Walt be able to successfully manipulate Mike? Will Mike be Walt's hired muscle and as loyal to Walt as he was to Gus? Will Mike sort of have his own agenda and initiative? Mike's only concern is his granddaughter and it never shows him having his own unique plans.

I take my prediction back in this topic. Right now it seems like Walt owns Jesse and Mike's gonna be a major concern this season.

I'm wondering who Walt's main adversary is going to be this Season. It's possible it could be Mike, but I don't know. Mike is reluctant but once he is working for someone, I don't think Mike turns his back on them.

Will there be a new international drug lord? It shows that Gus's contacts span across the ocean even so it might be possible there's someone even deadlier than Gus to enter the scene.

Or will the enemy be the law? Walt is finally going to have a showdown with his brother in law and prove to us he's a kingpin and no longer has his family in mind when cooking meth. It'll be an interesting contrast with Mike who, although does evil acts, always has his granddaughter in mind.

I like how this show makes me ask questions and isn't predictable.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:39 am 

Something I didn't understand :
Walt hiding a cigarette in a super intense spot. What was the purpose of that?

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:57 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

That cigarette was the risen that Jesse thought Gus used to poison Brock. If Jesse knew Walt had the risen, he'd realize the plot used to kill Gus was a sham all along, and he was completely deceived by Walt. Walt is probably keeping it for future use.

Last night's episode was awesome; glad to see it was focused around Mike!

Obligatory Last FM Link

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:01 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:

Yeah, Mikes my favourite character in the show. I really hope he gets a more prominent role and begins working for Walt.

Last edited by ~Guest 132892 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:04 pm 

Definitely. His character has really been extrapolated since his introduction, going from a P.I./Angel of death to a dynamic persona with family ties and unique traits which really set him apart from the other characters.

The No Half-Measures speech = the best thing ever.

Obligatory Last FM Link

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:04 pm 

Definitely. His character has really been extrapolated since his introduction, going from a P.I./Angel of death to a dynamic persona with family ties and unique traits which really set him apart from the other characters.

The No Half-Measures speech = the best thing ever.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:01 pm 

My assumption that we are talking about bigger players than Gus because, if they showed us a German guy being involved - that's a sign of a bigger player(s) being involved. Now the question is how efficient Hank would start the German trail of events and how efficient Walt would do the cooking. Mikes lady "colleague" never met the cook - so technically the Germans do know a single thing about how the cooking is done because Mike works as a separator between the two sides.

Now Mike is forced to get back into business, because everything was good and dandy but the magnet incident basically collapsed the whole offshore banking but saved everyone's asses (I mean Jessy Walt and Mike). As far as the whole family side of hank and Walt, I still not a able to predict because we still haven't got to see what Skyler would start planning.

And as far as what Vince said about "killing" Walt. No one said he would kill "Heisenberg" - and as we seen Walt being from New Hampshire says that maybe this is how Walt "dies" but not literally.

For me personally - this season is super awesome and makes me anxious more than any other season.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:58 pm 

I didn't watch all of last night's episode (folks are outta town all week and had a bit of a house party but managed to shut everybody the fuck up long enough to watch that awesome interrogation scene) but from what I gathered from it, Mike's gonna play a bigger role this season. favorite bit was when Hank pretty much cornered him and Mike throws his hands up on that table and goes "so... wheres the handcuffs? am I going to jail?" and Hank and his george lopez lookin buddy sheepishly admit there's been no official charges booked... Yet, and he's free to leave whenever he wants to. Mike is such an OG. Love that actor to death, why wasn't he in Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs???

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:39 pm 

I'm starting to get the feeling that Hank's not even going to have to put all the pieces together himself because Skylar is going to rat out Walt before that even happens. After that, Walt would have no choice but to go full-on fugitive/desperado.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:44 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

That cigarette was the risen that Jesse thought Gus used to poison Brock. If Jesse knew Walt had the risen, he'd realize the plot used to kill Gus was a sham all along, and he was completely deceived by Walt. Walt is probably keeping it for future use.

Speaking of ricin, the capsule has gotten way too much attention and camera time for it to not to play a role in the future. I think Walt will use it to kill a main character.

Someone speculated that he may use it to poison Hank's beer at a party, and Hank will let Walt Jr. have his beer. A death in Walt's family is probably the only thing that can break Walt at this point and Walt Jr. is just too innocent for Vince Gilligan to pass up.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:14 am 

Adriankat, that is an excellent point. It'll definitely have some future significance.

Did anyone else have some audio issues with AMC for the first few minutes of the show?

Obligatory Last FM Link

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:10 am 

Definitely seconding Mike being a G. He's kind of stupid for working with Walt again, he should really know better (as he did until he got a change of heart.) Things obviously aren't very likely to work out well for Walt in the end.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:13 pm 

Thanks dude, that makes a lot more sense to me now. But yeah, Adriankat is right, the scene where he hides it was intense and elaborate, something will come up.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:51 pm 

I predict that whoever these Germans are will likely be the next source of conflict for Walt and the gang. With Gus being taken out(and thereby the operation he was running for said Germans) there's going to be a huge dent in their earnings and with Walt picking things back up and putting product back on the street, you have to think they won't take kindly to being left out. Furthermore, and perhaps above all, they've already shown a willingness to kill anyone that had ties to Gus' operation in an effort to protect their own asses. Granted, it looks like Mike has cut some sort of deal with the woman who put out a hit on him but I don't think that guarantee's anything long term. What Walt still has going for him is that it appears the Germans still don't know who he is(said woman mentions to mike in the dinner she never met their chemist, likely hinting she would like to know so she could have him killed).

As for Mikes change of heart, I think between the Germans trying to kill him and the Police being hot on his trail, maybe he's just in "Fuck it" mode at this point. :grin:

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next