Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:17 pm 

Ted putting himself into a coma...most retarded scene in the series. He's easily the worst character on that show followed by Hank's wife. It was a pretty funny scene. Hector shitting himself at the DEA was great too. As for the fly episode, I had no problems with it. It was the only filler episode and it was still entertaining.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:07 am 

Or in Crawl Space when Walt deliberately causes a car crash by turning into oncoming traffic. Then he tries to feed Hank some bullshit about the car coming out of nowhere and Hank plainly tells him 'no'. The show has episodes that are funnier than others but the humour is always there. Fly was probably the least funny of the bunch, unless you consider sight gags to be hilarious.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:25 am 

Don't forget the webisodes (pre-wedding Hank, the one with the lock pick, etc...). Those are considerably and consistently lighter in tone than the main series, though.

wreath_of_coils
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:30 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Skyler is a fantastic character, superbly written, very real and very human, flawed but strong, she's clever and cunning (the "bimbo secretary" stunt she pulled on the auditor had me in stitches, as did her plan to get the carwash). She's not a paragon of virtue but compared to Walt she's still very morally solid and put up with so much of Walt's bullshit, and I am rooting for her, though I expect at some point Walt will feed her that ricin cigarette to kill her, though I hope not. (And some disgusting sickos here will cheer, no doubt...)

I think you are the minority in this regard. The "bimbo secretary" bit was amusing though. For me, she is just monotonous and slows down progress. And even though she is a trollop I hope no harm comes to her. :lol:

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:01 pm 

That's curious. I don't see how she slows down progress at all. I mean .. she's doing more to make sure things go smoothly than Walt is, that's for sure.

I don't get why people don't like her. I mean .. i get why they don't LIKE her, but then .. hardly anyone on this show's actually likable. Though .. I do like Hank. As weird as he is. Pretty sure he's my favorite character. :) him or Jesse. Can't decide.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:32 pm 

How is Hank "weird"?

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:50 pm 

He's pretty awkward when it comes to dealing with people having dramatic moments. e.g. Hank jokingly says, "hey, pool party!" when Skyler walks into the pool. Or Hank not hesitating to leave the room when Walt asks for coffee while fake crying.

More awkward than "weird," really.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:57 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
More awkward than "weird," really.

Yeah, I wouldn't define that as weird. He's just awkward sometimes, overcompensating, if that makes sense, a bit helpless even, but well-intentioned and "with a heart of gold" at the bottom. He's a rather common, everyday guy in that respect. Semantics. :P

wreath_of_coils
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:02 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
That's curious. I don't see how she slows down progress at all. I mean .. she's doing more to make sure things go smoothly than Walt is, that's for sure.

I don't get why people don't like her. I mean .. i get why they don't LIKE her, but then .. hardly anyone on this show's actually likable. Though .. I do like Hank. As weird as he is. Pretty sure he's my favorite character. :) him or Jesse. Can't decide.

They focus too much on her at times. The whole "IFT" thing was boring and lame. Though her screen time has been cut back in this latest season it seems.

I kinda like Jesse now. He has definitely grown on me. Hank is another good one. He does get pretty awkward when talking about domestic troubles and what not. Kinda funny. I like Marie too. She's a neurotic, flakey bitch but fun to watch.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:01 pm 

I don't mean "weird" literally. He isn't some creepy wraith. Awkward is more like it, definitely. Just a bad choice of words. Like .. the wrong word entirely.

DeathBySuicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:00 am 

Skyler is OK but I felt she was INDELICATE when she said oh so casually "I fucked Ted!"

DeathBySuicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:08 am 

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater wrote:
Do you guys find anything Stephen King-esque about the character of Walter White and how he "breaks"?
Did anyone read "Roadwork"?

Oh yeah! Definitely and definitively!
I just finished The Bachman Books and comparisons can be drawn to Barton George Dawes in some aspects. He is a man who sinks deeper and deeper into insanity as does Walt who in the wake of his disease.

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:57 am 

Bryan Cranston;
Quote:
I think it’s going to end badly. It’ll be an ugly, horrific mess and I think the audience knows that. I don’t know how it ends and I never ask. Plus, there’s no pressure on me to do this, I’m not the captain of the ship. [Series creator] Vince Gilligan has the burden to create the ending he’s always wanted.

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/ ... n-cranston

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:26 am 

SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
Bryan Cranston;
Quote:
I think it’s going to end badly. It’ll be an ugly, horrific mess and I think the audience knows that. I don’t know how it ends and I never ask.

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/ ... n-cranston

"happy endings are stories that haven't finished yet"
— Mr. & Mrs. Smith (movie)

DeathBySuicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:09 am 

Can't wait for next year. This year's finale rocked my world!

AtomicBeats
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:11 am 

I just started watching Breaking Bad two weeks ago and I've already caught up to the latest episode... Such an awesome show. I was so disappointed when I found out season 5 is the last.

defendnola
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:08 am 

Jaw dropped at the end of season 5. We all knew it would happen eventually, but the way it did was priceless. You just have to wonder.. when he leaves the bathroom, what is his next move?

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:11 pm 

defendnola wrote:
Jaw dropped at the end of season 5. We all knew it would happen eventually, but the way it did was priceless. You just have to wonder.. when he leaves the bathroom, what is his next move?

That entire scene was fucking great. I love how they end the season with Hank taking a shit.

StalUlv
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:13 am 

I heard they were going to end it after season five but also make a movie to explain any loose ends. I forgot where I read that though.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:39 am 

Did the new episodes start airing yet?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:27 pm 

lol? Next summer.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:29 am 

Just finished up the first episode run of season 5. The show has definitely declined over the years, but this season it's flaws became particularly noticeable. Plot points are getting more ridiculous and harder to believe, but that is ultimately forgivable. The thing that I find most troubling about the new episodes is that they seem far more concerned with plot developments themselves and not how the show reaches these developments, unlike earlier seasons that had such a brilliant sense of pace and suspense. Good evidence of this is the recent reliance on montages to quickly move things along.

Some of this I feel has to do with 8 episode setup. Even though this isn't a "real season", the show still seemed eager to have it develop like one, tying up a number of loose ends from the previous season, introducing and resolving it's own conflicts and setting up a cliffhanger of sorts for the next run. It just seemed like they had a lot to cover and this led to an overly rapid pace.

But, hey, it's not like a don't still enjoy it. The funny thing with shows like this that start off extremely strong and progressively get weaker is, unless they do something to drastically alienate viewers, the investment that the viewer forms in the characters and storylines early on has a way of carrying on and sustaining interest even once the show leaves it's prime. That sort of inertia certainly speaks to just how gripping the series initially was. Not only that, but there was some stuff that was simply great in it's own right this season, particularly the whole second episode, the Lydia character, and
Spoiler: show
Mike's death scene

Anyone feel similarly?

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:51 pm 

Started watching Breaking Bad a few months back and have finally caught up to the end of season 5A. I love the show. I thought this was the best season yet. I hope they revisit the time when Walt is 52.

Also what a way for Walt to be found out at the end of the last episode. Usually Walt ties up all the loose ends! Can't wait till the Summer. I do agree that the ricin will play a significant role at some point. I do think the idea of it being used to poison Hank is possible once Walt knows he's on to him. Also it would be interesting if Walt Jr. had it by accident when it was intended for Hank.

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:06 am 

Season continues AUGUST 11th 2013 with the first episode directed by Bryan Cranston and written by Peter Gould.

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:12 am 

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:37 pm 

Walter will probably end up getting his whole family whacked by the Cartel, including Jesse and his brother inlaw, either intentionally or unintentionally. He could very well walk away with it all, unscathed. Or he could wind up with nothing, which is how I'd like to see him, penniless and hopeless, worse than ever before. But my guess is Saul and Skyler hook up and Walter gets his balls cut off. Goddamn it, this show has taken forever.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:48 pm 

Since Breaking Bad often repeats imagery and situations from previous episodes, I like to think that Walt staring at the light of the smoke alarm in his new apartment is foreshadowing Walt staring at the heart rate monitor during the last hours of his life as he lays on the hospital bed. I imagine Hank won't break the story because Walt would prefer to be remembered as Heisenberg rather than Walter White. Dying without having his ego satisfied would be the ultimate punishment for Walt.

Well, whatever the ending is, it'll be crazy for sure. Vince Gilligan said he cried writing the last episode.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:58 am 

and cry we all shall...

I don't understand the hatred some fans have got for Walt. I think he is a fine well rounded character with a lot of mettle and i really would prefer an ending that wasn't too tragic. But I guess that wouldn't be realistic.

The real tragedy is Walt ending up ALONE with only memories and fragments...and the deeds of his reckless past to haunt him.

LanceCriminal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:13 am 

Well the whole intro scene to season 5 with bearded and unkempt Walt buying a beater car with an M60 in the back...makes a lot of sense now. I guess he goes underground after Hank finds out and is planning a big exit...

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:02 am 

iAmDisturbed wrote:
and cry we all shall...

I don't understand the hatred some fans have got for Walt. I think he is a fine well rounded character with a lot of mettle and i really would prefer an ending that wasn't too tragic. But I guess that wouldn't be realistic.

The real tragedy is Walt ending up ALONE with only memories and fragments...and the deeds of his reckless past to haunt him.
Walt has to be hard-arse for his business to work, plain and simple. He tried alternatives but those quickly became problems. I don't agree with him letting that junkie suffocate or poisoning that kid and I would say the money has gotten to his head but I was certainly rooting for Walt to succeed when it come down to him and Gus. I think his killing of Mike is what really got under peoples skin but he had to be dealt with, and Mike should has seen through it. I was indifferent when it came to Mike whereas a lot of people loved his character and thought he was really cool.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:41 am 

LanceCriminal wrote:
Well the whole intro scene to season 5 with bearded and unkempt Walt buying a beater car with an M60 in the back...makes a lot of sense now. I guess he goes underground after Hank finds out and is planning a big exit...

son of a bitch...totally forgot about that

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:41 pm 

Quote:
I don't agree with him letting that junkie suffocate or poisoning that kid

That's kind of like saying, "I don't agree with murder"... uh, duh?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:06 pm 

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but it would be interesting to see Walt on the run more so from Jesse than anyone else pursuing him considering he's done more harm to Jesse than anyone else he claims to care about ever since he first got involved in the business (that is, should Jesse ever find out about Walt's shady moves). Makes sense considering Walt inadvertently killed Jane, lit a fire under Hank's ass resulting in him beating Jesse within an inch of his life, poisoned Andrea's son, Brock, to surreptitiously coerce Jesse into complying with his plan to kill Gus, and deliberately destroyed Jesse's relationship with Andrea in order to cover his tracks.

LanceCriminal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:21 am 

Man... Jane was so fucking gorgeous, I was butthurt as hell when she got killed.

Last edited by Azmodes on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Spoilers removed again. The thread title is quite clear.

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:08 am 

No SPOILERS please!
The thread is clearly to discuss Breaking Bad so everyone should know what they're getting into when they click.

Morrigan wrote:
Also, I declare spoiler tags unnecessary for this thread (though do use them in the general TV thread). If you haven't watched the season, then don't click the thread, or do so at your own risk (like I did, I stopped reading all posts that were posted after the air date of the last episode I had seen). Common sense, please.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:13 am 

Come on, I often click on the latest post of a particular forum and I clicked on Lance's post and it was a spoiler for me as I haven't the whole series yet.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:46 am 

:lol: Come on dude, the thread says "final season", you shouldn't be here if you haven't even seen the second season (or whenever that happened). People can't be held responsible if you click the latest post in the whole forum and end up here. It's the same rules as the Game of Thrones thread: if you're not up to date, you're gonna get spoilers.

I thought you didn't like that show anyway.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:43 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Quote:
I don't agree with him letting that junkie suffocate or poisoning that kid

That's kind of like saying, "I don't agree with murder"... uh, duh?

You're missing the point. Some would sympathise with Walt because that was a way to get Jesse back, it may be hard to understand but some people actually root for the bad guys, I was stating I can see what he's done but I think there's more good than bad to him.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:50 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
:lol: Come on dude, the thread says "final season", you shouldn't be here if you haven't even seen the second season (or whenever that happened). People can't be held responsible if you click the latest post in the whole forum and end up here. It's the same rules as the Game of Thrones thread: if you're not up to date, you're gonna get spoilers.
I thought you didn't like that show anyway.

Yep. It clearly states 'Final Season' with it continuing in August, so it would surely come with the territory that there'd be spoilers. The non-spoiler scenario only really works for broad threads with no clear defining show or movie.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:28 am 

Not to mention Viral's post contains a lot more spoilers than Lance's.... sorry Tony, but they're right, it's kind of your fault if you got spoiled. That's early stuff too, like season 2.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next