Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:28 am 

^Still doesn't explain why they didn't hit either Hank or Gomez once. The neo-nazis would have still definitely shot at either Hank or Gomez, if only for pointing guns and firing at them, regardless of who their ultimate target was when they opened fire.

The rest of your theory is sound :)

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:33 am 

Also the AA12 automatic shotgun they were using was AWESOME.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:43 am 

That's an interesting theory, not Batman. I hadn't even thought of it that way. It would certainly make more sense than just ''out of nowhere bad writing''. It's out of character.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:48 am 

I'm about halfway through season 4 right now. As much as I think Walt is an egomaniac and an asshole I want him to keep succeeding cause he is so entertaining to watch and the actor is so good. It's funny how he gets so upset when people think his genius is someone else, and at the thought of someone else taking credit for his work he just talks them down to sound like idiots. He just can't keep his mouth shut and screws it all up. Because of his enormous ego he sucks at hiding among everyone else, unlike the fried chicken guy whom is so good at it. I bet it is going to eventually lead to his downfall and he will wind up getting caught or even more likely, killed. I'm expecting some kind of showdown with him and Hank as Hank's mission has become about catching Heisenburg. Hank may even have to make the choice of saving his life after finding out whom he is and trying to capture him. There is a variety of ways I can see this show ending right now. Nice to see the show still going very strong still.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:59 am 

I wouldn't spend too much time clicking this thread if you're not quite caught up as it always contains major spoilers.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:41 am 

I have managed to not read the posts in here.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:04 am 

Tom replies to the thread in typical Tom fashion :P

Next episode tonight! God, it's just been cliffhanger after cliffhanger as everyone inches closer to each other. Somebody big is gonna die. I can smell it. Taking all bets on who it's gonna be!

Did anyone else slowly gain more and more respect for Skyler as season 5 went on, despite not liking her at all in the early seasons? I guess the motivation behind her outbursts is a lot easier understood later on, and she's now the only person in the main family circle (outside of junior but he doesn't count) with any sort of sanity left.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:37 am 

I always liked her. She's always been a realistic character for her situation - even though lots of people found her annoying, well what would you have instead? Yes she had some moments where you didn't agree with her decisions or maybe thought she was a bitch, but that's real life for you. She is a well written and well acted character. Plus as the seasons have gone on, I think she's become very respectable in a lot of ways. She's probably one of the only people who'd really stand with Walt in this situation and the fact that she's chosen to ally herself with him in light of everything melting down, rather than just running away with the kids as would be the smart thing to do, shows some real loyalty. She is implicit in his crimes now, but I think the both of them are quite strong characters in the long run.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:27 pm 

I've been #teamSkyler since the beginning. :nods:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:22 pm 

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

This episode is going to be good.

Edit
I'm gonna get myself a drink or two. Maybe five.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:17 pm 

Fuck you Mr. White.

Spoiler: show
Gomie and Hank are both dead. :(

Man, that scene with Walt Jr. finding out was heart-wrenching. Damn.

Obligatory Last FM Link

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:16 am 

Holy shit. Can this show get any more intense? :|

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:00 am 

This is the kind of shit that traumatizes people.

VenusianSea
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:53 am 

Right. My bad. I was wrong about the Jane thing.

ETA: Ok, now that I've finished the episode... Well, I don't have much to say, really. Feels like they couldn't have done it any better.

"My name is ASAC Schrader, and you can go fuck yourself."

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:25 am 

That episode blew my mind. I don't even know what to say. What Walt does to Jesse is :|

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:38 am 

Heart-breaking shit. :(

Walt returning the baby and the phone call... I think he knew the cops would listen so he spoke in a way to make Skyler look like a victim rather than an accomplice. And though I'm not sure I think Skyler might know it ("I'm sorry") though she's obviously still scared shitless of Walt.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MattDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:53 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Heart-breaking shit. :(

Walt returning the baby and the phone call... I think he knew the cops would listen so he spoke in a way to make Skyler look like a victim rather than an accomplice. And though I'm not sure I think Skyler might know it ("I'm sorry") though she's obviously still scared shitless of Walt.

Bryan Cranston was amazing in that phone scene, managing to sound like a hardass whilst holding back the tears.

And at least Hank died doing something he loved, being surrounded by minerals.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:58 am 

MattDoom wrote:
And at least Hank died doing something he loved, being surrounded by minerals.

:lol:

....I mean, dude, no. Too soon. :oh shit:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:25 am 

Morrigan wrote:
I think he knew the cops would listen so he spoke in a way to make Skyler look like a victim rather than an accomplice. And though I'm not sure I think Skyler might know it ("I'm sorry") though she's obviously still scared shitless of Walt.
I assumed she was trying to stall him but that's also a possibility. In summary of the episode, I didn't think things would escalate that quickly and I certainly didn't think Skyler would actually tell Walt Jr without waiting for confirmation. I thought Walt would have another trick up his sleeve, one last elaborate lie to tell instead of 'our priority right now is to pack, I will discuss all of this later', but I guess he was mentally done by that point.

VenusianSea
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:07 am 

In the midst of all this tragedy and sadness, I'm glad about one thing: Walt finally learned that it's better to roll a barrel than to carry it.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:14 am 

Amazing episode.

People complain about Walt Jr but I think his acting was really good in this episode, really stepped up his game.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:58 am 

HOLY FUCK. Crazily intense, heart breaking, such cruelty and pathos contained in one person. Cranston is a brilliant actor in this role.

I agree with Morrigan, he was attempting to distance her from the ensuing utter shitstorm. I mean, he actually hadn't been warning her for the last year about anything really. He'd been more head-in-the-sand delusional then actually threatening. Another brilliant fabrication from the king.

I heard that the final episode is going to be extra long, but I can't seem to find where I heard that; anyone?

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:24 am 

Acidgobblin wrote:
I heard that the final episode is going to be extra long, but I can't seem to find where I heard that; anyone?

As far as my TV listings go, I see that next week's episode goes from 9:00-10:15. My listings don't go as far as the final episode, but I saw a listing on AMC.com that shows that Low Winter Sun begins at 10:15 on that day as well. So it looks like we'll get an extra half hour between the final two episodes.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:58 pm 

What happened to Jesse in this last one was just...ugh. Makes me angry and depressed at the same time just to think of it - here's hoping him or at least someone gives that freak Todd and the rest of his fuck-ass crew what they deserve. God that was sick.

Hank dying...yeah, very tragic. Doubly so that he was just rolled into a hole like a sack of garbage. Way to send off one of the show's main characters - soul crushing.

Walt's phone call while the police were listening, yeah, clearly he was just trying to make it as black and white as possible and cut off all ties with them - Morrigan has a good point about the victim thing, too. It was the only thing to do. Powerful scene with him crying and all, too.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:42 pm 

Been on the series since day one..
When Walt told Jesse about Jane- I could not help but feel so, amazed!
Jesse's actions caused Walt to watch family die in front of him,
an eye for an eye...
So...powerful stuff..
'you...stupid..Bitch!'

Obfuscation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:23 pm 

How about that nice bit of foreshadowing in the beginning with the camera panning over the knives when Skyler was on the phone with Walt. It was eerie watching the episode the second time and realizing how prominent it was.

Also... Jesse in the meth lab again all chained up immediately reminded me of when Walt came back and freed him after killing Gus. Will we see something similar but with Walt actually killing Jesse this time?

A couple of predictions I made over a year ago (not on this board) came true. I figured that Jesse would find out about Brock and Jane. I felt that since Vince's original plan was to actually have Walt intentionally kill Jane (he was going to give her another dose of heroin or something) but Vince felt it was Walt 'going bad too soon', it would have been a bit weird for the whole thing never to come up again.

Though my original thought was that if anyone killed or got Jesse killed it would be Hank and Walt would be out to avenge him despite everything. Obviously not the case.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:43 pm 

Well my theory was about 90% wrong, haha.

Fanboy gushing:

Seriously though, "soul crushing" is absolutely spot-on. Like, that episode affected me more than any other episode of a TV show I've ever seen, in ways that no TV show has ever attempted. Despite how fucking awful and depressing the show has become, I'm really glad that it's happening now and I hope all of the attention the show is getting helps push the standards for TV shows to new highs. I've seriously enjoyed this show more than any movie drama that has come out in the past few years at least.

Edit: Apparently I'm not alone; the episode has a 10/10 average user rating on IMDB, which hasn't ever happened before.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:18 pm 

^Given the low calibre of The Walking Dead, Revolution and Under the Dome, lets just say that these high standards are perhaps still to come.

Mad Men, though, is up there.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:34 pm 

^ Hmm, years back I would've agreed with you on Mad Men, but after the second season it lost all its dramatic motivation and by the fourth it had become a husk of its former self. Sad, really :(

Just saw the latest episode. God... I can't believe there are only two left. The level of emotional/psychological exhaustion this show has generated has to be unprecedented. The show itself feels traumatized at this point, like a beaten animal that's finally had enough and is starting to give up the ghost, preparing to die. Ugh.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:39 pm 

I agree with !batman. This show has set the bar for drama TV, not just because of "holy shit the feels" (though there is that too) and acting and all, but because it's written in a way that doesn't take the audience for morons. We can only hope that it's an influence for future TV series.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:43 pm 

HOLY SWEATY MOTHER OF CHRIST ON BIKE! I just finished the episode and daaaaamn. I can't remember when I've watched something that caused me to physically react like that. During the fight between Walter and Skylar I realized I was sweating and clenching my fists haha.

Morrigan wrote:
Walt returning the baby and the phone call... I think he knew the cops would listen so he spoke in a way to make Skyler look like a victim rather than an accomplice..

Yeah spot on, but I'd frame it slightly differently. Even after Hank's death and managing to be even more awful to Jessie he thought he could hold it together. He really did, but it was the fear in Jr. that finally made Walt realize how bad he had gotten. He framed it to look better for Skylar but rather than a redeeming act I think it was him finally hitting bottom and having to accept that he truly has become an evil, destructive person. It's the ultimate truth of this whole endeavour, him doing all this terrible shit and killing so many people in the name of his family- now the only thing left to destroy is his ties to them.

And yeah, Cranston was incredible in that scene.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:46 pm 

I would hope it does not influence other series! There can be no other!
I would like to see Vince write some other stuff..

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:48 pm 

niix wrote:

If that's addressed to me, I don't mean that other shows should imitate Breaking Bad or anything. By influence, I just mean in terms of the quality of the writing and all the subtleties (the Dexter vs Breaking Bad parody pic was quite telling) and the pacing (taking its time and letting each scene breathe, but without having a plodding pace where nothing happens).

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:59 pm 

Do you mean this picture?

But yeah, I agree with you about what sets it apart. The only other show that has really come close in terms of dramatic weight for me has been Six Feet Under, but Breaking Bad beats that pretty solidly.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:10 am 

Yeah that's the one. :) Six Feet Under was little better than a soap to me, though. Better acting and writing, sure, but I got sick of all the insipid sex stories and gave up somewhere in S2 or 3 (don't even remember). I'd go with The Wire for another example of quality TV myself, though that's almost becoming a cliché by now.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 am 

Morrigan wrote:
niix wrote:

If that's addressed to me, I don't mean that other shows should imitate Breaking Bad or anything. By influence, I just mean in terms of the quality of the writing and all the subtleties (the Dexter vs Breaking Bad parody pic was quite telling) and the pacing (taking its time and letting each scene breathe, but without having a plodding pace where nothing happens).

Not directed to you in a bad way or anything, I just do not know if I have another five years of building up like that in me..
Indeed as to hopefully the future of writing and filmwork do use that influence.
Now, has it been five years or so? Well at least of viewing time.. All the waiting in between seasons disorient sense of time when having to reflect backwards in mind..

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:22 am 

Anyone else in here have an enormous smile on their face as Walt pushed out Skyler's car? Chevy power.... team Walt!!!

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:32 am 

:ugh:

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:33 am 

rabidmadman wrote:
Anyone else in here have an enormous smile on their face as Walt pushed out Skyler's car? Chevy power.... team Walt!!!

I thought the neighbor was going to come out around then.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:26 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Yeah that's the one. :) Six Feet Under was little better than a soap to me, though. Better acting and writing, sure, but I got sick of all the insipid sex stories and gave up somewhere in S2 or 3 (don't even remember). I'd go with The Wire for another example of quality TV myself, though that's almost becoming a cliché by now.

Yeah, well, that's just like...your opinion, man. I thought it was pretty fantastic. The Wire is a hard sell for me in terms of being flawless. While the show as a whole is pretty fantastic and definitely among my favorites, there are some sort of glaring flaws, I think. The important cast members were well-acted but a lot of the supporting cast just plain sucked (especially the characters played by "real life" people instead of trained actors, like that junkie guy that Bubbles befriended in rehab). Also, some of the story arcs just weren't as good as others, like the whole longshoreman thing in season 2.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next