Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:28 pm 

I just finished watching the last episode. Never felt such intensity in a show before. Originally I thought Walt just couldn't break his own pride and told them over the phone it was all Skyler's fault, and I was surprised he alluded to killing Hank himself. He was truthful when he said he tried to save Hank so this was an odd turnaround for him. I expected him to say Hank's death wasn't his fault as other people screwed up and didn't listen to him as he had been doing this the entire show, always blaming the screw ups on Jesse or someone else. I was surprised he acted as if he didn't know the police would be listening, surely he couldn't make that mistake after everything. But then I realized he was giving closure to things for the family so they wouldn't be going after anyone else. Still though I don't get how he would allude to killing Hank but at the same time not able to swallow his pride blaming Skyler for everything. He must have planned to say that and knew the police were listening.

Kudos to the show for finally killing off a main character as they always played it fairly safe in that department.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:36 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
Yeah that's the one. :) Six Feet Under was little better than a soap to me, though. Better acting and writing, sure, but I got sick of all the insipid sex stories and gave up somewhere in S2 or 3 (don't even remember). I'd go with The Wire for another example of quality TV myself, though that's almost becoming a cliché by now.

Yeah, well, that's just like...your opinion, man. I thought it was pretty fantastic. The Wire is a hard sell for me in terms of being flawless. While the show as a whole is pretty fantastic and definitely among my favorites, there are some sort of glaring flaws, I think. The important cast members were well-acted but a lot of the supporting cast just plain sucked (especially the characters played by "real life" people instead of trained actors, like that junkie guy that Bubbles befriended in rehab). Also, some of the story arcs just weren't as good as others, like the whole longshoreman thing in season 2.

I have to agree with Morrigan with Six Feet Under. I liked the show a lot but I did get tired of all the sex drama from every main character, and that they were all so promiscuous. I dislike how so much of tv drama and movies contain so much of this. Didn't help I watched the whole show right after a particularly bad break up of my own. :lol:

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:52 pm 

I watched this the other night, I echo the sentiment "soul crushing" as put by a previous poster. This is the darkest television show I've ever seen. I think that people will be talking about it for many years to come!

I'm curious what's to come of the flash-forward earlier in the season of Walt returning to his home with an M60 to find "Heisenberg" spray painted on the living room wall. I have a feeling he's going to be the Scarface of chemistry teachers, but that's just my theory. :P
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:29 pm 

I just realized something. You know how Saul told Jesse that with the vacuum service there is no second chance, well didn't Walt already use his chance up?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:50 pm 

He never called because he didn't have money. He planned on it, but Skyler gave his money to that idiot Ted and so they didn't even have the option of getting started.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:53 pm 

I could be wrong but I thought Walt had already called the guy and then couldn't find the money.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:58 pm 

From another forum, someone posted:

Quote:
I also read an interview with the co-writer who said Holly asking for Mama was not in the script. It was just set up for Walt to stand her on the changing table and while looking at her realize he couldn't take her. When the baby started asking for her off screen actual mama, Cranston just went with it and we got this awesome scene.

I had wondered how they had gotten the baby to say "mama", considering you can't direct a baby actor... I assumed they had dubbed it in somehow. But that's really cool.

THEMICRULAH wrote:
I watched this the other night, I echo the sentiment "soul crushing" as put by a previous poster. This is the darkest television show I've ever seen. I think that people will be talking about it for many years to come!

I wonder about that. For "darkest television episode ever", who gets the crown? Breaking Bad's Ozymandias (S05E14) or Game of Thrones's Rains of Castamere (S03E09)? (Don't google that GoT title if you don't want spoilers, lol). Hard choice, I might go with Ozymandias 'cause as a book reader I was already expecting the main event of Rains, so...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

hunglikemouse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:31 pm 

I love coming to this particular thread after having invested so much emotional intelligence in this Show. Everybody here looks at this drama with such an artistic eye, you will not find that on your average "metal board" (No fuckin'way)
I have determined that ...Hank
Spoiler: show
is going to go out in a blaze of Glory and Jesse will end up on an island in the sun.....fade to black............clapquietlyplease.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:43 pm 

hunglikemouse wrote:
I have determined that ...Hank
You mean Walt?

lurkist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:32 am 

Morrigan wrote:
For "darkest television episode ever", who gets the crown? Breaking Bad's Ozymandias (S05E14) or Game of Thrones's Rains of Castamere (S03E09)?

I just got caught up with GoT, and watched that episode last night, blew me away! It's not often a TV programme or movie literally makes my jaw drop.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:25 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
I did expect them to be mown down too. They should have been turned into Swiss cheese before even getting close to cover.

yea, it was definitely the worst piece of writing in the show. but, they shouldn't have been mown down...sticking with their good writing they should have IMMEDIATELY headed for cover when they saw cars approaching, because who the hell else should be out there? they had no reason to think it could be anything good, so it should've been a stand-off from cover from the get-go.

I was also a bit surprised the nazis just rocked up there next to one another, no flanking manoeuvres or anything, sure it makes them look like ballsy muthafuckas, but doesn't seem too smart...maybe it's supposed to tell us something about Walt's future chances of getting revenge on them with one machine gun?

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:30 pm 

Markov wrote:
I was really into the show, and then season 4 ended. I really feel like the series could have ended right there and then. Season 5 just seems to be about forcing loose ends.
Am I the only one that feels like this? Season 4 was pretty much the pinnacle, too, for me. I watched almost all of the entire series in a matter of a week, too. Haha.

I felt that way, too, until this second half of season 5.

season 4 wrapped things up nicely, but I guess it wasn't the conclusion of the arc that the writers want, too much of a happy ending, not really a realistic 'end' of Walt's life story.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:32 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
Did anyone catch how the Neo-Nazis were saying that purity wasn't important? :lol:

well most of them aren't even blonde or blue-eyed, right? ;)

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:09 pm 

Season 4 ended the way it did cause when they were writing it they weren't sure if there was going to be a 5th season. That's why they provided so much closure at the end of that season. I'm glad they did a season 5 though, as they developed Walt very well this season. I like seeing him lose. Really shows how his ego grew so much that he alienated everyone around him and lost everything, apart from one barrel of money.

And here is the newest spin-off.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:38 am 

My best guess is that Walt isn't going after Jack and gang. He essentially lost his family, and based on the ending of the penultimate episode, it's my guess that he's going to want to off the folks of Grey matter.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:43 am 

Yeah, I got the same idea.

Another prediction, Jesse blows up the meth lab. We haven't had a meth lab explosion since season 1 episode 1 and I can't think of any other way he could get out of it.

I also liked Peter's dad from Heroes as Mr. Vacuum Man. That was pretty funny.

burnroasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:50 am 

No he is going after Jack and the gang. They stole his money, killed Hank, and his product so I think hes more pissed at them.

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:14 am 

It is possible that Walt will go after Elliot and Gretchen. In some ways, his departure from Gray Matter was the reason why he "broke bad." On the other hand, I find it unlikely that Walt will go on a last minute spiteful rampage against them. I think it is more important that while Walt was watching that TV report, they mentioned that blue meth is still being sold on the market. Knowing Walt and his ego, he will likely forego his spite towards Gray Matter (his old legacy) and go after Jack and Todd (his new legacy). I could see the series ending like this: Walt goes after the white power dudes and "rescues" Jesse. But after everything Walt put Jesse through, he ends up killing him. As for the ricin, I don't know if it fits in with that. My theory earlier on was that he uses it on himself before he goes on a rampage, knowing it will kill him before anyone can catch him. I've had a few people tell me they think he will use it on Lydia, but I don't think he would do that. He had his chance to kill Lydia, and he didn't take it.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:01 am 

Another good episode and after seeing this, I'm really eager to find out how things conclude next week. Continuing from previous episode's gut/heart-wrenching scenes, it was kinda tough seeing what happens to Jesse :/

There's celebration yet again in the BB camp for those that don't know. Cool way to close up the series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5UqaDN5OiA

VenusianSea
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:04 am 

Andrea's death was stupid. You don't unlock your door and got out in the night because some stranger tells you your ex is in a van out there, not when you have a kid inside. Todd should have shot her when she opened the door with no explanation.

Now that they have piled so much shit on Jesse, they can't not give him a semi-happy ending. I'm hoping Walt will decimate the WS crew and (possibly unwittingly) free him, and then Jesse will blow Walt's brains out. Fin.

No way he's going after the Schwarz's. That interview was just a plot device.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:39 pm 

VenusianSea wrote:
Andrea's death was stupid. You don't unlock your door and got out in the night because some stranger tells you your ex is in a van out there, not when you have a kid inside. Todd should have shot her when she opened the door with no explanation.

Now that they have piled so much shit on Jesse, they can't not give him a semi-happy ending. I'm hoping Walt will decimate the WS crew and (possibly unwittingly) free him, and then Jesse will blow Walt's brains out. Fin.

Eh, it's a TV, it's allowed to play things a little loose. Jesse needed to see Andrea die. The audience needed that moment of ambiguity - Were they going to kidnap Andrea and Brock? Where they doing to threaten her in front of Jesse? If she opens the door and he shoots her, it's shocking, but it's over too fast.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:38 pm 

True, but I did groan when she opened the door, I was like, dumb woman, don't fall for that obvious trap! I get why they did it that way but they should have come up with a better reason for her to open the door.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:39 pm 

I dunno, have you seen Todd? The guy is like the least imposing person ever. I would definitely get into his van if he offered me candy.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:05 pm 

It was a pretty stupid move on her part, but she has a weakness when it comes to Jesse and plus it was late at night and she probably wasn't fully awake. So I'll give it a pass.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:26 pm 

I didn't think it was stupid because Andrea was desperate for information on Jesse. Perhaps because he appeared unarmed and she felt physically strong and able to stop Todd if he tried to attack her, she probably didn't find Todd intimidating at all. It was very sad to watch Jesse's last remaining light be taken away.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:09 pm 

VenusianSea wrote:

I highly doubt that he will try and kill the Schwarz's, but I wouldn't be shocked if he tries to utterly annhilate any potential future for their business. Their business is probably already suffering image issues which he could likely propel if he did something bad enough.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:38 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I dunno, have you seen Todd? The guy is like the least imposing person ever. I would definitely get into his van if he offered me candy.

Todd is the nicest murderer ever. He says his pleases and thank yous, treats everyone with respect, etc. He'll go out of his way to spend the extra dollar on some Ben & Jerry's Americone Dream instead of getting cheap grocery store brand ice cream for his prisoners. Such a lovely guy.

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:04 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
Todd is the nicest murderer ever. He says his pleases and thank yous, treats everyone with respect, etc. He'll go out of his way to spend the extra dollar on some Ben & Jerry's Americone Dream instead of getting cheap grocery store brand ice cream for his prisoners. Such a lovely guy.

I call him "Ted Bundy meets Leave it to Beaver." Every line he delivers oozes with the wholesome innocence and naivete of Leave it to Beaver, yet he's still a murderous psychopath. I imagine him saying things like "Gee golly Uncle Jack, who are we gonna kill today?" as if it were just another afternoon of rascally antics.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:50 am 

The reason Andrea steps out is that Todd sounds like he's saying Jess is in the van in a real sorry, fucked up state and couldn't make it to the door, as if asking if she'll take him in, otherwise he can drop him off somewhere else. By show of hands, how many people here besides me have ever been dropped off like this before?

But seriously, Skyler just about shat herself didn't she? Bout time. Never trusted that cunt. Don't matter if she didn't mentioned Lydia, you talk to the feds your ass is as good as gone. But talking to the feds was pretty much a given as she is Walt's wife but to go all out and play dress up with all your buddies, sneak into her home, wihile it's being staked out, and come out with nothing? Come on, she should've gotten a bullet to the head, that's what mafias do. I guess they figured Walt would at that point give them up and go into the witness protection program.

Jr. doesn't want shit to do with daddy so Walt decides to call the police? Anything strategic about that or was that just his hopelessness getting the better of him?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:54 am 

nekuomanteia wrote:
Come on, she should've gotten a bullet to the head, that's what mafias do. I guess they figured Walt would at that point give them up and go into the witness protection program.

Well, Todd starts off by saying that he has the utmost respect for Mr. White. That's probably the reason for just the threat and nothing more than that. I agree with what the others said about Todd, he's such a swell guy. For a strange reason, he reminds me a lot of a younger smiley Matt Damon.

nekuomanteia wrote:
Jr. doesn't want shit to do with daddy so Walt decides to call the police? Anything strategic about that or was that just his hopelessness getting the better of him?

It seemed like hopelessness and the hurt of having your son outright reject you. He was about to give himself up until he saw the Gretchen & Schwartz interview, amirite?

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:54 am 

shouvince wrote:
nekuomanteia wrote:
It seemed like hopelessness and the hurt of having your son outright reject you. He was about to give himself up until he saw the Gretchen & Schwartz interview, amirite?
If he can't get the money to them then there's no point. Watching the interview sparked another reason to go on.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:16 am 

nekuomanteia wrote:
But seriously, Skyler just about shat herself didn't she? Bout time. Never trusted that cunt. [...] Come on, she should've gotten a bullet to the head

:nono:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:44 am 

shouvince wrote:

Yeah, but I tend to think that he also rememberd his actual honest and underlying reason for the whole fiasco. He made enough money for his family a comparatively long time ago, but still hasn't been able to complete override his feelings of inadequacy arising from his missed chance. So he's lost his family? He can still get his fucken money...

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:37 am 

nekuomanteia wrote:

But seriously, Skyler just about shat herself didn't she? Bout time. Never trusted that cunt. Don't matter if she didn't mentioned Lydia, you talk to the feds your ass is as good as gone. But talking to the feds was pretty much a given as she is Walt's wife but to go all out and play dress up with all your buddies, sneak into her home, wihile it's being staked out, and come out with nothing? Come on, she should've gotten a bullet to the head, that's what mafias do. I guess they figured Walt would at that point give them up and go into the witness protection program.

Come on now!

...and congratulations to Anna Gunn for winning the Emmy for "Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Drama Series". So well deserved! And the show itself on its Best Drama Series win!

shouvince wrote:
Well, Todd starts off by saying that he has the utmost respect for Mr. White. That's probably the reason for just the threat and nothing more than that. I agree with what the others said about Todd, he's such a swell guy. For a strange reason, he reminds me a lot of a younger smiley Matt Damon.

~Guest 43555
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:22 am 

nekuomanteia wrote:

Misogynist much? hahahaha

plasticpope
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:25 pm 

shouvince wrote:

I remember being on a chan thread after todd had been around for a few episodes and I think they ended up coining the nickname 'Meth Damon' for him

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:57 am 

plasticpope wrote:
shouvince wrote:

I remember being on a chan thread after todd had been around for a few episodes and I think they ended up coining the nickname 'Meth Damon' for him

I bet something will happen with Todd's love interest. Maybe she will reject him and he will lose that nice boy persona and go ape-shit on her and she will kill him in self-defense.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:03 am 

Before they took Jesse prisoner, my theory was that Todd would try to rape her or something. But nah, I guess I didn't really understand his character much.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:33 am 

Oh man, I am in such a first-world-problems pickle right now. I've only seen up to the eighth episode of season five, and I've unfortunately had Hank's death spoiled for me, so I'm tempted to just go for the gusto and watch the final episode tomorrow, then pick up the pieces later with the episodes I missed. Because I know that once tomorrow night's episode airs, living a spoiler-free existence is going to be next to impossible. Guess I have a day to decide.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:42 am 

DarthVenom wrote:
Oh man, I am in such a first-world-problems pickle right now. I've only seen up to the eighth episode of season five, and I've unfortunately had Hank's death spoiled for me, so I'm tempted to just go for the gusto and watch the final episode tomorrow, then pick up the pieces later with the episodes I missed. Because I know that once tomorrow night's episode airs, living a spoiler-free existence is going to be next to impossible. Guess I have a day to decide.

You ought to just watch all of them. You could probably watch them in one sitting. There's more stuff than just Hank's death.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next