Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:00 pm 

I'll be out of town and in college by the time of that show, but since it's on a friday it wouldn't be too hard for me to make it since I'll only be about a 2 hour train ride away.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:46 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Yeah, those guys did a hell of a job turning Jaxx into Empire. I was at the Agalloch show there, yeah. I haven't been to as many shows this past year as I usually make it to, but I do go to metal shows in the DC/Baltimore area. I'm in Germantown.

You're not thaaat far from me. I live in Silver Spring.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:17 pm 

Creepy, heh. No way I'm spending money on Ozzy-fronted Sabbath these days, sorry guys. Mayhem Fest sounds like a really expensive way to see a short Amon Amarth set while trying to try really hard to avoid hearing any of the other bands on that tour. This summer actually seems pretty dry for bigger tours...

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:16 pm 

So, I hit up the gay bar with a few of my absolutely rad as lesbian friends, and man, those motherfuckers know how to party:

(On the right)

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:20 am 

Shaved most of my facial hair off again. In about a month, I've gone from this:

To this:

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:16 pm 

I definitely have that Anathema show on my radar, but it's hard for me to think that far ahead, so I can't say for sure that I'll be there.

I'm kinda excited for Mayhem Fest, cause I like..probably at least 50% of the bands on the line-up? And we got cheap lawn tix when they first went on sale :P Pretty bummed that Behemoth dropped off, though. And also, of Mayhem bands that I like, I've seen almost all of them before; I think the only one that I haven't seen is Rob Zombie, and I only like him so-so. When I go for industrial music, I prefer something harder and faster.

Not that excited about Sabbath, but pretty sure I'm going to be dragged there by the guy in the pic with me.

Anyway, we can keep an eye on the Anathema thread and try to arrange something as the date gets closer. And not stalk one another in Germantown :P

Burnyoursins wrote:
So, I hit up the gay bar with a few of my absolutely rad as lesbian friends, and man, those motherfuckers know how to party

Yay for gay bars and lesbians XD

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:12 pm 

Based on this binder, I am wondering if I was either A). Incredibly fucking cool, or B). Incredibly creepy, obsessive and lame in the 10th grade:

Spoiler: show

Note the MSPaint inverted cross. FUCK YEAH.

Burnyoursins wrote:
So, I hit up the gay bar with a few of my absolutely rad as lesbian friends, and man, those motherfuckers know how to party

Fuck yes, they do. Expect that you'll be drinking lots of beer, play really unsafe night-time beer can baseball with drunk dykes swinging bats everywhere and throwing empty Mad Dog bottles at trains. Good, clean fun.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:33 pm 

Yeah, those gay people sure are entertaining. It's great that they are available for our amusement.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:41 pm 

mmhmm ray knows nothing of gay culture and is merely talking down :roll:

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:46 pm 

All the more reason for him to talk about them exactly as tho he knew nothing.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:56 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Yeah, those gay people sure are entertaining. It's great that they are available for our amusement.

Damn right.

Also, stop being so :old: and :grumble: when yr obviously just :wanker:, bro.

You can tell I'm a :gay: by how much I like to overused emoticons. I have the mentality of a 16 year old girl. It's not offensive if it's true, shit...

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:57 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
All the more reason for him to talk about them exactly as tho he knew nothing.

and for you to take everything i say so incredibly literally, as if I seriously think "the gays" are some fun carnival attraction, and start white-knighting all over the place because you cannot grasp obvious humor/irony.

Stoppit, m'kay? :durr:

That punk band full of rowdy, drunken dykes I partied with were the funnest group of people I've ever spent a night with though, FWIW.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:27 pm 

all I learned from this is that all dykes are rowdy

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

crises79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:17 pm 

talvikki77 wrote:

I'm kinda excited for Mayhem Fest, cause I like..probably at least 50% of the bands on the line-up? And we got cheap lawn tix when they first went on sale :P Pretty bummed that Behemoth dropped off, though. And also, of Mayhem bands that I like, I've seen almost all of them before; I think the only one that I haven't seen is Rob Zombie, and I only like him so-so. When I go for industrial music, I prefer something harder and faster.

Is it this one?
http://rockstarmayhemfest.com/

Damn, I wouldn't spend my time (or money) on this line up. There is absolutely no band I would like to see.

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:13 pm 

crises79 wrote:
talvikki77 wrote:

Is it this one?
http://rockstarmayhemfest.com/

Damn, I wouldn't spend my time (or money) on this line up. There is absolutely no band I would like to see.

No Amon Amarth? Battlecross? Children of Bodom? Mastadon?

I don't really like most of the lineup, but these caught my attention.

crises79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:55 pm 

No, not really.
Maybe Mastodon if I have a frolicsome day, but Amon Amarth and Children of Bodom... Definitely no.
But with Mastodon it has to be in a line up where I love other bands too.

And Battlecross is nothing I would listen to, from the first glance on youtube.
Of Amon Amarth I know at least a few songs (I think I've seen them live about 3 or 4 times so far) and Children of Bodom just doesn't do the trick.

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:49 pm 

My books! My boooooookss!!
Prize for winning NaNoWriMo last year. This is the first time I've actually been able to get the Createspace copies!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:54 pm 

Time to play Find BastardHead in the Blackhawks Rally Crowd!

the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:10 pm 

crises79 wrote:
No, not really.
Maybe Mastodon if I have a frolicsome day, but Amon Amarth and Children of Bodom... Definitely no.
But with Mastodon it has to be in a line up where I love other bands too.

And Battlecross is nothing I would listen to, from the first glance on youtube.
Of Amon Amarth I know at least a few songs (I think I've seen them live about 3 or 4 times so far) and Children of Bodom just doesn't do the trick.

Amon Amarth is probably the one I'm looking forward to most, but being the first band on the main stage, they'll get such a short set, and will probably play mostly from their newest album so I dunno :/

At least there are no bands I actively don't want to see this year. And while I haven't had much interest in Mastodon, people say they're good so I'm curious to see how they are live.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:12 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

:D

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:45 pm 

Is anyone else seeing the freakishly small-headed guy in that photo? I'm going to assume that's some expert-level photoshop magick and leave it at that (and I guess that must be BH. That, or a red herring)...

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:15 am 

me and my bros at my wedding, i'm the scruffy one in the middle

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

crises79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:45 am 

talvikki77 wrote:
Amon Amarth is probably the one I'm looking forward to most, but being the first band on the main stage, they'll get such a short set, and will probably play mostly from their newest album so I dunno :/

At least there are no bands I actively don't want to see this year. And while I haven't had much interest in Mastodon, people say they're good so I'm curious to see how they are live.

I'm not one for pagan (melodic) death or black metal. It's that drinking horn (and other imagery) and the seldom interesting lyrics that do it in for me.

And congrats on your book! What's it about?

[edit] Since I'm posting in a picture thread, I should enter a picture of me. Therefore:

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:07 pm 

Whoa, you look at a lot like a slightly-more-fleshed-out version of a friend I have O.o

crises79 wrote:
And congrats on your book! What's it about?

Eh heh heh...it's a femslash* version of The Little Mermaid XD I started out writing it for fun, but it wound up getting really serious and dark and heavy. And long. The printed version is 519 pages O.o

*short definition of femslash: angsty romantic fiction with lesbian pairings. It usually refers to fan fiction, but mine is an original work (though loosely based on the Hans Christian Andersen fairytale).

Quote:
I'm not one for pagan (melodic) death or black metal. It's that drinking horn (and other imagery) and the seldom interesting lyrics that do it in for me.

To each his own :) I like the Viking imagery, and I think their lyrics are all right. Like I said somewhere else, I'm drawn to folk/pagan metal (ok, and death metal about folklore, since Amon Amarth technically isn't folk or pagan metal XD) because there's usually a story behind it, and I like stories.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:11 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

That was the easiest game of Where's Waldo ever.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:56 pm 

My beard is back for good. I just prefer it more:

AsinineUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:49 am 

Still awake and none too happy about it.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:42 pm 

Here I am at a glamorous venue showing my support for an awesome local black metal band. The black figure to my left is a sleeping homeless man that doesn't particularly appreciate atmospheric black metal.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j0j55t7tdlm8crb/Resampled95070713193150.jpg

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:01 pm 

I've seen photos of cryptids that were less blurry. :-P

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:17 pm 

It was dark and grim there and flash was not an option.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:58 am 

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/970559_4805278622068_1255596091_n.jpg

Hard at work on a Saturday morning.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:02 am 

AsinineUsername wrote:

rabidmadman wrote:
Here I am at a glamorous venue showing my support for an awesome local black metal band. The black figure to my left is a sleeping homeless man that doesn't particularly appreciate atmospheric black metal.

Holy fuck! PLEASE, come back later when you learn how to use a camera!
LOL!

crises79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:48 am 

talvikki77 wrote:
Whoa, you look at a lot like a slightly-more-fleshed-out version of a friend I have O.o

And who is the fleshed out one then?

Quote:
Eh heh heh...it's a femslash* version of The Little Mermaid XD I started out writing it for fun, but it wound up getting really serious and dark and heavy. And long. The printed version is 519 pages O.o

*short definition of femslash: angsty romantic fiction with lesbian pairings. It usually refers to fan fiction, but mine is an original work (though loosely based on the Hans Christian Andersen fairytale).

I found the prelude somewhere on the internet. I'm not really sure if I would read the entire book, but there were some interesting premises in there. And some questions I had after reading, but this topic is not really the place for that.

Quote:
To each his own :) I like the Viking imagery, and I think their lyrics are all right. Like I said somewhere else, I'm drawn to folk/pagan metal (ok, and death metal about folklore, since Amon Amarth technically isn't folk or pagan metal XD) because there's usually a story behind it, and I like stories.

;) I'm not one for over the top presentation anyway, in any genre.

AsinineUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:52 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
AsinineUsername wrote:

rabidmadman wrote:

Holy fuck! PLEASE, come back later when you learn how to use a camera!
LOL!

Yeah, shitty camera, lighting, etc.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:57 am 

New pic, taken from a Vahşet photo shoot:

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:22 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
New pic, taken from a Vahşet photo shoot:

pretty cool!

btw- got a new b/w pic from myself, too. Gonna look it up and post it soon.

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:56 am 

crises79 wrote:
talvikki77 wrote:

And who is the fleshed out one then?

Haha, my friend is super thin, so you look like a thicker version of him, is what I meant XD

Quote:
I found the prelude somewhere on the internet. I'm not really sure if I would read the entire book, but there were some interesting premises in there. And some questions I had after reading, but this topic is not really the place for that.

Understandable, I have had guy friends read some of it and think it was all right, but I think most of the readership is a different demographic :P Ask away! I'm pretty open about pretty much everything. There's the literature thread (which I also need to check after days of absence :/ ) or you can pm me.

Quote:
;) I'm not one for over the top presentation anyway, in any genre.

I wouldn't really call Amon Amarth over the top - they look and sound pretty much like a regular melodeath band. Perhaps their imagery is a little, especially the latest album, which has that comic-book-like cover. To me, the first thing that comes to mind with the phrase over the top is Steel Panther :D and then Manowar. (I'm a fan of the former - they're frickin hilarious -and just neutral toward the latter.)

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:58 am 

TheGrimWombat wrote:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/970559_4805278622068_1255596091_n.jpg

Hard at work on a Saturday morning.

Coffeeee! Every now and then I miss my days as a barista.

Kveldulfr - Nice pic!

crises79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:02 pm 

talvikki77 wrote:
Haha, my friend is super thin, so you look like a thicker version of him, is what I meant XD

Damn... Considering the fact that I weigh 78 kilos with a length of 1,86 m

Quote:
Understandable, I have had guy friends read some of it and think it was all right, but I think most of the readership is a different demographic :P Ask away! I'm pretty open about pretty much everything. There's the literature thread (which I also need to check after days of absence :/ ) or you can pm me.

I will get back to you on that ;)

Quote:
I wouldn't really call Amon Amarth over the top - they look and sound pretty much like a regular melodeath band. Perhaps their imagery is a little, especially the latest album, which has that comic-book-like cover. To me, the first thing that comes to mind with the phrase over the top is Steel Panther :D and then Manowar. (I'm a fan of the former - they're frickin hilarious -and just neutral toward the latter.)

I love Steel Panther. They make no secret of the fact it's all an act. (I've seen them live three times so far.)

ibthecrusher
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:32 pm 

It seemed slightly big. I'm the one who's clearly not undead.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 174  Next