Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:50 am 

yep. Im pretty sure im the only tomcat_ha around.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:21 am 

The internet's a small place, sometimes. :)

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:17 am 

A couple of years ago when I was on holiday in France, there was another Jelle in our group. As the gentleman I am, I jokenly offered to change my name into Henk for about a week. It started as a joke, but as the holiday continued I got called Henk way more than Jelle. So that's where my nickname comes from. I almost always call myself Henkk/jellehenk/henkkjelle on forums now.

And I have no idea where that extra k came from.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:01 pm 

Kahala = the last name of a Japanese celebrity I had a crush on at the time when I made my first online account. Tomomi Kahala

Spoiler: show

chan = a suffix attached to names to imply fondness. "san" is a more professional Japanese suffix.

I still use it when available cause I like to be consistent and have to remember as few usernames as possible.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:17 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:
I still use it when available cause I like to be consistent and have to remember as few usernames as possible.

I never use the same username more than one time. I must have more than 25 different usernames spread around the internet.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:44 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
yep. Im pretty sure im the only tomcat_ha around.

And I'm the only Zelkiiro.

Though, there's a "Zelkiro" on Steam. I'll have to get my username copyrighted and sue his ass into nonexistence.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:26 am 

TheEvilSocky - what an awesome story. I'd love someone to make a short film of that, actually. I'm sorry, but it's so, so excellent.

Anywho, because I ramble...

So, as you might've guessed, my name is, at least in part, an X-Files reference - it's the name of a spooky group of Romanian mystics who perform exorcism-like rituals in the eponymous 21st episode of the second season. I've been a fan of the series since childhood - my parents watched it religiously from the first episode onwards, and I'd sneak out of bed and arrange all the doors so that I'd be able to hear the TV; of course, I was scared witless, though I adored it all the same. The theme song was almost a kind of lullaby for me for years, and, upon hearing it, I still get those contradictory associations of cosy familarity and eerie childhood fears. For years, I actually wanted to be Scully 'when I grew up'; especially since Mulder was one of my first crushes. So, yeah, big deal, everyone's heard of the X-Files...

While I liked that X-Files episode (certainly not my favourite, though a good season overall), that's not actually where I got the name from. When I was around eleven or twelve, I was obssessed with horror and fantasy themes; one of my favourite books from my local library was a typically cheesy but fun collection of tales about various monsters, myths and hauntings from around the world. One of my favourite entries, in turn, was about the Calusari, a Romanian secret brotherhood who would perform a ritual dance, 'the calus', to accomplish all kinds of odd (pagan) exorcism-esque feats (mainly, apparently, freeing villagers from the influence of local fae folk, spirits and vampires); while, of course, their powers don't, the sect itself seemingly existed (exists?). Aside from the sheer awesome hilarity of a bunch of cloaked mystical dudes dancing wildly to drive out evil influences, I loved that the Calusari supposedly had this custom in which they'd go from town to town, looking for young girls who could dance well; the best dancer in the region would be permitted/forced to dance with the Calusari for a year. I was the same age as those girls at the time, wanted to do something so unconventional, and was of course utterly naive, so I didn't realise how creepy that would be. Aaanyway... I always thought that name had a wonderfully eldritch sound about it; when I realised it was also the name of an X-Files episode (thus connecting two of the influences that helped to make me into a sci-fi/fantasty/horror geek), it seemed like the perfect nickname. I generally have immense trouble coming up with such names, so I saved that one until I came across MA, which was the first site that seemed to suit the mood I associated with it.

Rotting_Christ_Mike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:56 pm 

Nice connection of your different influences there, Calusari.

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:10 am 

I like receiving fj's...

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:48 am 

Soviet sniper rifle. I was big into Metal Gear Solid around the time I registered on the board.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:36 pm 

I was speaking to my ex girlfriend's black metal friend on MySpace one day and he called me Jackoroth, thought it sounded cool, even though I'm not massive into black metal.

I usually use the name of Zodiak213 for gaming, forums etc but I got banned on here with that account.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:56 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
Soviet sniper rifle. I was big into Metal Gear Solid around the time I registered on the board.

Somehow "You got a Dragunov?!" doesn't have the same punch as "You got a PSG-1?!"

Metal4ever88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:06 am 

It's pretty obvious how I got my nickname. About at least 5 years ago I would always exclaim "METAL FOREVER!!!!" or "METAL FOR LIFE!!!!" on most internet forums I was on. I eventually adopted this as a nickname in forums I signed up on, only I shortened it by using the number 4 instead of the first 3 letters of the word "Forever" & added 88 to represent my birth year which is 1988.

If God gives you lemons, YOU FIND A NEW GOD!

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:18 am 

:lol:

Its awful, and you're a bad person, but I was moved :lol:

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:36 am 

my first name. Boring eh?

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:13 am 

Yes, but to be fair, Caspian is a pretty badass first name. Better than mine, at least.

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:58 pm 

Great, guys! By the way, the best 3 nicknames on the forum that I saw are:

3. TheEvilSocky
2. SatanicPotato
1. dontlivefastjustdie

~Guest 253590
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:38 pm 

Mine's pretty straightforward, I'm a metal-head (at-least I think I am), I was born in 1995, I've added 95 to other usernames I've been using ([email protected], ShadowRaptor95, PitaLion95, etc), so, I decided to call myself MetalHead1995. Intriguing, right? ^

Come to think, after realizing how shallow and uncreative my username is, I really want to fucking change it.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:23 pm 

a lyric aimed specifically at tough guy bro mosh karate pit idiots with a gazillion hip tattoos which one invariably says "live fast, die young"

i simply encourage them to hurry up.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:34 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Dragunov wrote:

Somehow "You got a Dragunov?!" doesn't have the same punch as "You got a PSG-1?!"

Funny you mention that, PSG_[something] was also another thought I had. At the time a user named PseudoGoatKill posted on the boards and everyone referred to him/her as PGK and I could see that getting confusing, maybe. Oh well, I went with Dragunov.

TommyTheRipper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:53 pm 

Tommy The Ripper - diminutive of my name mixed with Jack the ripper :P I used to use "Mad Butcher" nickname, because of Destruction's album name but some dumbass motherfucker started to use it along with me. Before that he had been my best friend (nearly like a brother, additionally we've got the same names) but we had an argument about my girlfriend. So I had to come up with a new nickname. I've been thinking about something like the polish counterpart of Tommy The Ripper - Tomcio Rozpruwacz (Jack the ripper on polish - Kuba rozpruwacz) - which sounds quiet stupid even in polish language :P So I've decided to stick to the english version of that nickname.

I was NOT inspired by Tom Angelripper from Sodom ;)

Man, those were the days.

Last edited by TommyTheRipper on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:06 pm 

Don't worry, Dragunov, the Dragunov is one of the most weapon-looking weapons ever. The skeleton stock plus the rude W Pact design are simply awesome displays of Killing Technology in the industrial sense.

Poe Ohlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:28 pm 

My username is also my stage name. I cam up with by just putting together two writers that I admire. And it should be pretty obvious that they're Edgar Allen Poe, and Pelle Ohlin.

WitchCraft
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:16 pm 

I just wanted a generic metal sounding name that wasn't very lame. Looking back 8 years later, I think it's lame as fuck. But whatever, I don't feel like changing it hahaha.

I also don't remember why I capitalized the c in craft. Why??

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:38 am 

I feel a little embarrased
I choose Erisgaroth because i think it sounds cool, like a name of a deity or a demon.

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:11 am 

I am really not sure, come to think about it. That being said, I think it was around 2006 when I came up with this nick, first for another site, then registering here with this nick later on. If I recall correctly, I was multitasking: reading Dante Alighieri, shuffling between some metal songs, while trying to do my english homework (I was 16 at the time). Somehow, all that mixed up into Deviante. I dunno, maybe I thought about Dante, Devil and Deviancy/Deviant (the latter maybe being in my homework's vocab, haha?) at the same time, or something like that? :lol:

I never really thought about it further than that - Deviante sounded short enough and unique enough, and it was still pretty easy to remember. Yeah...

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:26 pm 

Erisgaroth wrote:
I choose Erisgaroth because i think it sounds cool, like a name of a deity or a demon.

I always thought it sounds similar to Vendigroth from Arckanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. Like a suburb of the said place or something.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:15 am 

Metalhead1995 wrote:
Mine's pretty straightforward, I'm a metal-head (at-least I think I am), I was born in 1995, I've added 95 to other usernames I've been using ([email protected], ShadowRaptor95, PitaLion95, etc), so, I decided to call myself MetalHead1995. Intriguing, right? ^

Come to think, after realizing how shallow and uncreative my username is, I really want to fucking change it.

The same happened to me.
I was young (17) at the time of creating my account, and I was young as for metal experience... So...
Lame...
We should be able to change our usernames once.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:35 am 

In thirty years you can apply for a username change to Old_Metalhead. No other username shall be acceptable.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:21 am 

Mine is pretty self explanatory, I feel as though humanity as a whole have our decency. Plus I think it sounds cool.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Gorgo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:06 am 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgon

I'm really interested in mythology (especially the monsters), so I just picked a name I knew + I was into Gorgoroth that time, also helped.

http://www.myspace.com/onrust1
"Acoustic music"

TommyTheRipper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:38 am 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
The same happened to me.
I was young (17) at the time of creating my account, and I was young as for metal experience... So...
Lame...

Newborn_Metalhead
Child_Metalhead
Teen_Metalhead/Kindermetal
Young_Metalhead
Mature_Metalhead
Adult_Metalhead
Full-grown_Metalhead
Experienced_Metalhead
Veteran_Metalhead
Old_Metalhead
Extremly_Old_Metalhead
Dead_Metalhead
Ressurected_Metalhead
Zombie_Metalhead

Levels of a metalhead life.

Last edited by TommyTheRipper on Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:51 am 

Zombie Metalhead?

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:30 pm 

Napero wrote:
Don't worry, Dragunov, the Dragunov is one of the most weapon-looking weapons ever. The skeleton stock plus the rude W Pact design are simply awesome displays of Killing Technology in the industrial sense.

Indeed!

Spoiler: show

~Guest 253590
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:53 pm 

Quote:

I think I might pretty soon, come to think of it. Maybe I'll change it to something like GedShitty, or BinchSnchlap. I don't know, I'm pretty awful when it comes to nick-names.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:07 pm 

I am the discussor of metal :headbang: ... of hell

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:42 pm 

it's my surname. it's not that i'm not creative, it's that i'm too self-conscious to give myself a nickname. i did it once or twice when i was about 13 but it never stuck and i always felt like a complete dork. my last.fm username is turnerjmulletboy though, simply because it's hilarious and i don't feel like i have to defend it in any way... unlike a serious name like "darkwarrior666" or something.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:37 pm 

TommyTheRipper wrote:
Young_Metalhead wrote:
The same happened to me.
Lame...

Newborn_Metalhead
Child_Metalhead
Teen_Metalhead/Kindermetal
Young_Metalhead
Mature_Metalhead
Adult_Metalhead
Full-grown_Metalhead
Experienced_Metalhead
Veteran_Metalhead
Old_Metalhead
Extremly_Old_Metalhead
Dead_Metalhead
Ressurected_Metalhead
Zombie_Metalhead

Levels of a metalhead life.

How is that you are resurrected but not a zombie? Jesus?
In any case, in other forums I use my last name (Mingüer) along somme words like metal, or just MMingüer. I don't know why I didn't do this here, since I'm pretty sure I'm the only Mingüer around. And it looks cool.

BTW, 6dead6infernal6 is my youtube username, and it sucks. Someone called me "santanic", yes, with that n between the a and the t.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:18 am 

My name comes from my obsession with Morrowind back in the day. I was always a dark elf, and I always ran across the Andrano ancestral tomb near Seyda Neen. I liked the name, so I used it. Gelseth was just something I made up for the first name. I like the overall sound of it, so…yeah.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:44 am 

I only remember that I was listening to Metallica's Garage Inc. a lot at that time and Blitzkrieg was one of my favourite tracks. I don't have a clue why I chose to put "DeathFor" in front of it, though. Well, I was 14, so most likely I thought it looked cool.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next