Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:04 am 

When I first started going to metal shows, I was very meticulous about protecting my hearing. I'd be sure to wear plugs, and if I didn't have them (which was rare), I'd be sure to sit as far back as possible.

But after a dozen shows or so, there's a point where I stopped. The reason for this being that I was growing annoyed with how the ear plugs affected the audio. I tried many different pairs of musician-oriented ear plugs, and I found in the end they all do a fairly poor job at reducing the volume without significantly coloring and muddying up the sound. I'd think to myself: what's the point of going to all these shows if I'm barely hearing the music as it's being reproduced in front of me? So now I usually just sit in in the middle or towards the back of shows without plugs. The volume usually doesn't bother me, but occasionally bands like to crank it up that extra notch (Defeated Sanity - looking at you!), and I'll find my ears ringing temporarily for the next day or two.

If I sit in a completely quiet room, I do hear the slightest bit of tinnitus, but I can't hear it as soon as I hear any other noises. Even small amounts of coil whine coming from my PC still catches my attention (and annoys me)...which means I'm not really bothered by any hearing loss that's occurred so far. Live music isn't a part of my life style so I only catch shows a few times a year - I'm hoping I can get away without protecting my hearing if I'm careful enough.

I don't really pay attention to other people and if they're wearing any ear plugs. So I should ask, what about you guys? How often do you listen to music in a live setting - and do you always wear plugs when you do?

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:33 pm 

I decided to buy some custom made earplugs for 180 euros after a very, very loud taake gig. I want to be able to still enjoy music in 10 years. And my hearing is very good, don't want to ruin that.
I think this is my best investment ever. The plugs have a special filter in it which almost doesn't color the music. It just makes it quiter. And an advantage is I can understand people better in a venue.
I also use it with the band and I can't live without it anymore. It also gets easier for me to do vocals. I guess i hear the sound resonating better in my head.
Best musical investment ever for me. If these break or get lost I wouldnt hestitate to buy a new set again for 180 eu.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:17 pm 

I protect my hearing every concert (which is typically maybe 2 or 3 times a year anymore). I forget the brand I used most recently, but I do highly recommend it. I used to be of the mindset not to wear ear protection at concerts. That all changed when I saw Accept and Kreator some years back. In front of the stage, right next to a speaker. My hearing was permanently damaged, and it was a decision I will forever regret, as my hearing has weakened considerably since that day. Whenever attending a metal concert, always wear (ear) protection.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:19 pm 

Yeah I always wear plugs. I have pretty good hearing and I'd like that to continue as long as possible. I forgot plugs when I went to see Derketa a while ago and instead of stopping at the Walgreens in the ghetto I went without, I regret that decision highly. It definitely pushed me into a new level of damage as now in the quiet I can always hear a ringing. Not enough to bother me during my normal daily activities but when I'm laying down for bed it does bother me. Just wear the plugs man.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:44 pm 

I always wear ear plugs at concerts or any noise that is above the norm. Actually the thing that inspired me the most to persist with earplugs for my life is the MA threads with people coping with tinnitus. I couldn't think of a more miserably state apart from severe chronic back pain and having no sight.

Regarding "it spoils the music", you've obviously got them wedged in too far, have previous ear damage or wearing the wrong type of earplugs, it's supposed to be moderately muffled but with guitar notes audible throughout. It still amazes me to look around a concert venue and see maybe 3 people with ear plugs. If metal music means so much to people then why destroy the listening aspect?

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:58 pm 

Half the fun of getting old is being able to go deaf so you don't have to hear the endless stream of shit that flows from people's mouths. I look forward to being able so shout "WHAT?" at everyone for the remainder of my days.

However my hearing is currently still freakishly acute considering the amount of abuse I've subjected it to over the last 25 years of metal listening.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:45 pm 

Mark me up as another one that uses earplugs at shows religiously. Used to not give a shit until I did some damage and it's no fun at all. Also, I have found that I actually hear the music much more clear and better with the use of ear plugs (etymotic ones to be exact). Cuts out the distortion and makes everything sound a lot more precise and focused.

laxskinn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:45 am 

This also kind of brings up the question: what's the point of playing so loud that the audience go deaf? Especially since it often means crappy sound because the speakers can't cope.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:42 am 

Went to King Diamond last year and it was way too loud and I knew Id need earplugs, as the next shows were death metal. Much better with them. These are the one's I use:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/flents ... 80-product

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:07 am 

laxskinn wrote:
This also kind of brings up the question: what's the point of playing so loud that the audience go deaf? Especially since it often means crappy sound because the speakers can't cope.

This tends to happen a lot more at local level shows than it does with touring bands. Underground local shows are the only ones where the level has been so stupid that it was able to cause me some concern. I'd like to support local bands but at this point it's impossible without being subjected to a wall of distorted ear-rape.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:25 am 

I always wear earplugs. I prefer the sound of a live gig when i've got them in, anyway. After about 2min without them at a gig my ears kinda blow out and half the sound is lost, just becoming this wall of white noise.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:20 am 

t1337Dude wrote:
So I should ask, what about you guys? How often do you listen to music in a live setting - and do you always wear plugs when you do?

I don't but I should.
I listen to music (moderate volume), go to shows and metal pubs (regularly), dive and drive top down with a quite loud exhaust.
At the moment, my hearing "has changed" because of diving but it's freaking nice!

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:25 pm 

Turner wrote:
I always wear earplugs. I prefer the sound of a live gig when i've got them in, anyway. After about 2min without them at a gig my ears kinda blow out and half the sound is lost, just becoming this wall of white noise.

This!

I have always worn ear plugs to shows except my first two. I have never regretted this. It is true that cheap plugs will colour the sound but my ears function just like what is described above. Obviously I have limited experience of this in a concert setting since I always wear ear plugs but I experience it in other areas of life. Either if I'm somewhere where someone blasts loud recorded music (in a car for instance) or somewhere where there is a lot of crowd noise (a football game).

I remember doing a hearing test years ago and I got a great result. However as soon as there is to much sound (either from many sources or from one loud source) it greatly diminishes to the above mentioned wall of white noise.

Some of my friends have custom ear plugs, also mentioned earlier in the thread, and they claim its the best they've done. They claim it actually makes everything clearer in a good way.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:20 am 

It would be insane not to. At rehearsals, we play at deafening volumes in a small room (I run my 100w Marshall JVM at about halfway, channel and master volume). I also have genetic susceptibility to hearing loss, and my hearing will probably degrade significantly even without trying to actively destroy it.

I'm considering investing in custom modeled ear plugs for the best possible protection and best possible tones. Those can be more than 200€, but they will also last for at least 5 years, and it's probably worth the investment.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:31 pm 

i have now custom airplugs after using muddy low/mid end ones, equalized filter to keep the sound balanced and they work well. They are -15 dB which is moderate but maybe it wouldnt be a bad idea to get some stronger filters.
I've had custom plugs in the past that were shitty.

I have some tinnitus these days but it seems to be related to a cold i got early this year which led to increased amounts of mucus forming. I took some anti inflammatory sprays and it got less but it hasnt gone away completely and just last week it got louder again. I am quite sure its not related to going to gigs as it originally popped up in the middle of the week days after my last gig and it increased temporarily last week over 24 hours after i attended this gig with my new plugs.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:57 pm 

I always wear earplugs, but I usually don't put them in all the way. Takes the edge off, doesn't hurt my hearing, but doesn't dampen it too much. Ripping the barrel-shaped plugs in half works, too. Cuts out the nasty, ringing treble edge and actually makes the whole show more audible.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:17 pm 

I never really wore ear plugs and I still don't unless I'm catching a show with Ero and he happens to have spares. I know I should, and I usually make a mental note to nab a pair from work before shows but usually forget. It's something I'd like to do because it doesn't make you less cool or anything, I just started off not doing it and it's something I always manage to forget.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:34 am 

never worn them to a show. Sunn O))), front row, no earplugs. Similar to BH in the regard that I'm forever forgetting, and I only go to a few shows per year. That said I'm actually really careful about wearing them at work. It's a different thing though, innit; I'm exposed to loud noises a lot at work, and whereas I kinda like not wearing earplugs and getting the full blast of a show, I have no real desire to hear, say, the sound of a crusher or the mill motor.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:01 am 

I've only ever worn plugs once at a concert and that is when I saw Btbam. The openers were Animals were leaders and some other crappy prog deathcore. Both bands playing were the only time I've been to a concert with the bands playing loud enough where it started to hurt my ears and I had to put headphones in to lessen the sound. Though when Btbam (the bands I went to the show for) came on the volume was perfectly fine. I generally go to power metal concerts and never felt the need to put plugs in and I am generally up front for those shows too.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:05 am 

What amazes me is that you people can actually stand the pain of a loud metal band without hearing protection. There have been occasions where I've tried, but I simply couldn't take it. It's a beastly feeling, and combined with the knowledge of how bad it's for hearing, it's too much to bear.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:29 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
What amazes me is that you people can actually stand the pain of a loud metal band without hearing protection. There have been occasions where I've tried, but I simply couldn't take it. It's a beastly feeling, and combined with the knowledge of how bad it's for hearing, it's too much to bear.

I guess I just don't find it that painful or uncomfortable. If it were, I would leave. On the other hand, all ear plugs I've tried made for music are quite uncomfortable. Sure, I could spend $100 on some professional ones - but then I have to go to every concert with the weight of the worry about dropping my ear plugs and wasting my money (which often happens when I'm drunk). I should probably get a lanyard :P

Also - the people who complain about having tinnitus are mostly musicians who more or less trashed their hearing earlier in their life. They're around loud music on a daily basis, so unless you're also around loud music on a daily basis, it's fairly unlikely that you'll experience tinnitus on their level. Of course, I never would want to dissuade anyone from protecting their hearing. I'm just saying that unless you suffer from some condition - most people can handle the occasional concert without hearing protection or significant hearing damage.

I certainly have some tinnitus, but it honestly takes a lot of focus and a quiet room for me to even hear it. Probably don't want to worsen it though, so I'm definitely going to have some on-hand in case a bland chooses to really blast it.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:02 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:

Seriously. It's fucking painful. I always take hearing protection with me. At the last show it was obscenely loud, and my trusty reusables were swiftly defeated. While I was standing there headbanging with my fingers in my ears, a friendly passed me a pair of the kind worn at airports. These I struggled to get in as quickly as possible while the sonic flame thrower leaked through the cracks. They ended up working great.

I_Crash_and_Burn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:41 pm 

Boh, I never cared abut that and if I have to be honest, at least a hundred concerts I witnessed have seen me straight attached to one of the racks. Expecially the brutal death ones. I remember one gig in Torino Malevolent Creation playing and I hadn't been able to drive home because I was too exhausted because of the extreme volume.... I don't know what will happen in the future, but since today I'm closer to my 44s and I still hear perfectly, and I repeat I have had the luck to be present to at least 300 concerts, mostly of them happened in small clubs where high volume is normal and it seems to be even higher because of the smallness of the ambience.

Next gig I'll be attending here in Italy you may look for somebody attached to the speaker... it's me.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:00 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I never really wore ear plugs and I still don't unless I'm catching a show with Ero and he happens to have spares. I know I should, and I usually make a mental note to nab a pair from work before shows but usually forget. It's something I'd like to do because it doesn't make you less cool or anything, I just started off not doing it and it's something I always manage to forget.

I'll have extra on Friday. Just sayin.

Azmodes wrote:

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:14 pm 

It also bears mention that sudden loud noises cause significantly more damage to one's hearing than constant loud noise. A single gunshot or similar sudden percussive noise will knock out far more cilias than several hours of amplified music. When exposed to consistent loud noise, the eardrum tightens as a self-defense response to protect the cilias, but an isolated burst of loud noise leaves no time for that to happen.

Last edited by chaossphere on Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:29 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

I'll have extra on Friday. Just sayin.

I don't even remember what's on Friday! Either way, got stuff going on and the last show for me this year is Blind Guardian.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:47 pm 

chaossphere wrote:
It also bears mention that sudden loud noises cause significantly more damage to one's hearing than constant loud noise. A single gunshot or similar sudden percussive noise will knock out far more cilias than several hours of amplified music. When exposed to consistent loud noise, the eardrum tightens as a self-defense response to protect the cilias, but an isolated burst of loud noise leaves to time for that to happen.

Well it does greatly depend on the exact dBSPL of the noise we're talking about here. It is true that a gunshot will probably do more damage to you than one concert, but constant loud noise is bad too. It's not really something you can "toughen out." Lots of people have hearing damage from simply playing their music too loud through (most likely) earbuds for too long. Here's a nice collection of numbers to look at.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:42 pm 

I_Crash_and_Burn wrote:
but since today I'm closer to my 44s and I still hear perfectly
Yeah, I highly doubt that. Unless your measurement on hearing is if you're deaf or not deaf.
I_Crash_and_Burn wrote:
, and I repeat I have had the luck to be present to at least 300 concerts, mostly of them happened in small clubs where high volume is normal and it seems to be even higher because of the smallness of the ambience. Next gig I'll be attending here in Italy you may look for somebody attached to the speaker... it's me.
Wow. That's so cool, man.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:48 am 

Dudemanguy wrote:
Well it does greatly depend on the exact dBSPL of the noise we're talking about here. It is true that a gunshot will probably do more damage to you than one concert, but constant loud noise is bad too. It's not really something you can "toughen out." Lots of people have hearing damage from simply playing their music too loud through (most likely) earbuds for too long. Here's a nice collection of numbers to look at.

Earbuds are just fucking evil. Luckily for me I've always had trouble getting them to fit in my ears so I gave up using them about 20 years ago.

I think the other thing is that high frequencies do more damage than low, and earbuds mostly emit high frequencies.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:28 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I don't even remember what's on Friday! Either way, got stuff going on and the last show for me this year is Blind Guardian.

How can you say that with two months left that include the likes of King Diamond and the Abigail tour!? Anyway Friday is Cannibal Corpse and Cattle Decapitation.

Azmodes wrote:

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:32 am 

I_Crash_and_Burn wrote:
Boh, I never cared about that and if I have to be honest, at least a hundred concerts I witnessed have seen me straight attached to one of the racks. Expecially the brutal death ones. I remember one gig in Torino Malevolent Creation playing and I hadn't been able to drive home because I was too exhausted because of the extreme volume.... I don't know what will happen in the future, but since today I'm closer to my 44s and I still hear perfectly, and I repeat I have had the luck to be present to at least 300 concerts, mostly of them happened in small clubs where high volume is normal and it seems to be even higher because of the smallness of the ambience.
Next gig I'll be attending here in Italy you may look for somebody attached to the speaker... it's me.

You, definitely, should.

chaossphere wrote:
It also bears mention that sudden loud noises cause significantly more damage to one's hearing than constant loud noise. A single gunshot or similar sudden percussive noise will knock out far more cilias than several hours of amplified music. When exposed to consistent loud noise, the eardrum tightens as a self-defense response to protect the cilias, but an isolated burst of loud noise leaves to time for that to happen.

Interesting.

Dudemanguy wrote:

Yes, that's something to think about.

I remember when used to go to Sala Tunk (http://www.salatunk.com/) to attend shows.
I used to drive there listening to music in my car and had to turn up the volume twice when coming back home and used to have tinnitus the next day!
That was FUCKING crazy.

Last edited by BasqueStorm on Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:55 pm 

I went to tons of shows when I was younger and I always told myself that I'll get earplugs next time but I never did. I only go to a few shows a year now but after the last show, which was incredibly loud, I'll definitely start using earplugs. I'm getting close to 30 and I feel like I need to actually start taking care of myself.

untappd: patrick_g

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:57 pm 

Absolutely. I have brutal tinnitus from shows and listening to music too loud. I can't enjoy shows without protection anymore because I know the damage I'm doing and it makes me super anxious.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:14 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Absolutely. I have brutal tinnitus from shows and listening to music too loud. I can't enjoy shows without protection anymore because I know the damage I'm doing and it makes me super anxious.

Dang man. Why didn't you wear plugs as soon as tinnitus started setting in? It's not as much fun if you let it get to the point where it gives you anxiety.

I made this thread precisely because I can feel it set in slightly. It's not enough for me to notice 99% of the time thankfully, so I'm not incredibly regretful or anything. It was interesting seeing the limitations of my ears but I'm definitely going to bring extra plugs next time I listen to live music. Having seen a ton of ludicrously loud bands without ear plugs, I'm really just surprised how much of a sonic beating the ears can take.

I hope one day perhaps metal artists will think twice about playing so loud. I don't really understand the mentality behind it. It's bad for everyone involved. It's not like I've ever heard someone go to a concert before and complain about it not being loud enough. Sometimes I feel like the musicians already fucked up their hearing and are trying their hardest to share their pain with the audience.

thementalpatient
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:16 pm 

Tinnitus is really an unfortunate thing that I hope never happen to me or anyone else. I remember reading a story about some man who killed himself because he had such severe tinnitus after a particular concert, which is sad. Also why I now wear ear plugs. I used to not care, but then I realized that I kind of need my hearing for my job (work in security part-time at different venues) as well as other future listening experiences. I'm in my early twenties, so I guess better now than never.

However, I want to find some reusable earplugs that don't take away the sound too much and dampen frequencies in the music. I just use the cheap foam earplugs for now...

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:22 pm 

thementalpatient wrote:
However, I want to find some reusable earplugs that don't take away the sound too much and dampen frequencies in the music. I just use the cheap foam earplugs for now...

These come highly recommended by a friend of mine who is a DJ, but who also used them in the shop. He said the frequency distribution was still really rich and broad.

https://www.etymotic.com

thementalpatient
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:29 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
thementalpatient wrote:

These come highly recommended by a friend of mine who is a DJ, but who also used them in the shop. He said the frequency distribution was still really rich and broad.

https://www.etymotic.com

Wow, I haven't heard of these actually. I have tried different, cheap and non-reusable products, and most were just mediocre in functionality. And they don't look too expensive either... I'll probably check these out sometime, maybe buy a cord to go with them since I have a habit of losing my shit and would rather not want to lose something I pay good money for lol.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:20 am 

Ever since my first show I always use earplugs. Never regretted it. Some people just don't know how to put them on, they either bury them too deep so they drown out the guitars, or leave them on too loose and claim it doesn't do a difference.

I just wish I could use those professional ones, but I always end up in the pit so I don't want that thing to be buried in my ear when someone rams me on the side of the head somehow. Foam ones are great but I always carry 4 pairs with me. Was in pain when I briefly took them off to hear Death Angel once. Venue was too small for their volume.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:42 am 

I always use earplugs!
I use this kind to shows, and they work great. I put them in just a little at the start of the show, which lowers the volume just a tad and the sound is still intact. Then if my ears get tired I shove them in for a while.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:19 am 

Long ass time ago I started. I actually really hate loud noises, especially sudden ones. I can't STAND being in a room with a blaring amp or a guy playing drums, ESPECIALLY if they're using a china *shudder*. At practices, shows I play, and shows I don't, earplugs in whenever the sound is even a bit loud. I'd like to keep my hearing, especially since I record and mix, I kind of need to be able to hear anyway.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next