Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:31 am 

jerk wrote:
Also, guys: THIS. WILL. HAVE. NOTHING. TO. DO. WITH. THE. EXPANDED. UNIVERSE. GOOD DAY.

Thank fuck.

jerk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:20 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
jerk wrote:
Also, guys: THIS. WILL. HAVE. NOTHING. TO. DO. WITH. THE. EXPANDED. UNIVERSE. GOOD DAY.

Thank fuck.

Oh shit, I've just realized something. If this doesn't fit into the Expanded Universe continuity...

The Original EU fan vs. Disney EU fan arguments will tear the Internet apart. It ain't gonna be pretty.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:41 pm 

How? Lucas will have some support role, so the new trilogy will be as much canon as those awful prequels.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:02 pm 

There's enough EU shit that contradicts other EU shit, this will be no different. At worst, there will never be a 'Disney EU' but just another addition to the existing EU. People are worrying way to much over this.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:20 pm 

What do you guys mean by Disney EU? Should we be expecting Easter egg cameos of Nemo or something? I any case, I would far prefer it to be canon (but original, not taken from the EU). If not, don't fucking call it episode 7, just call it 'Star Wars: *insert title here*'.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:03 am 

Poisonfume wrote:
What do you guys mean by Disney EU? Should we be expecting Easter egg cameos of Nemo or something?

This is what some people are genuinly afraid of, dead serious.

Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:06 am 

Ravenlord266 wrote:
Poisonfume wrote:
What do you guys mean by Disney EU? Should we be expecting Easter egg cameos of Nemo or something?

This is what some people are genuinly afraid of, dead serious.

:oh shit:

Speaking of Star Wars Easter eggs, isn't there one in the newer series where you see Serenity from that Firefly show in the background?

Last edited by ~Guest 132892 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:06 am 

That would be so great if something like that actually happened. Just to fuck with all the die-hard fans...but seriously, Disney would not do that and anyone expecting such is silly.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:13 pm 

But I just saw in the news that Leia will reprise his role for the new SW episodes, as well as some other old actors will...

it just might be the usual air controversy to keep attention on the subject, but still, what the fuck?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:16 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Leia will reprise his

:gay:

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:18 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
But I just saw in the news that Leia will reprise his role for the new SW episodes, as well as some other old actors will...

it just might be the usual air controversy to keep attention on the subject, but still, what the fuck?

Source? Those actors from the older movies would be pretty damn old by now.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:30 pm 

Yeah, sources, please. Don't tell news like that without any kind of links to support it!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

jerk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:59 am 

I don't think the actors from the original trilogy will be in lead roles. Like Oogboog said, they're too old now. Best I can hope for is that they focus on a new cast of characters, and don't recast the originals. I think Harrison Ford said at one point he didn't want to do it, but don't hold me to that, I can't remember the source. I would like to see cameo appearances by the original cast, though.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:05 am 

iAm wrote:
Kveldulfr wrote:
Leia will reprise his

:gay:

Oh, you know, just Metantoine in drag. Nothing gay there.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:39 am 

I call bullshit, have you guys seen Carrie Fisher lately? Maybe she could do a cameo as one of the Hutt family or something.

lancasterdrummer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:21 pm 

MMM, think this movie will suck I do.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:28 pm 

It's probably fake, but it's a badass awesome poster nonetheless.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:05 pm 

Subrick wrote:
It's probably fake

Yeah. Look's shopped.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:08 pm 

I think I just soiled my shorts. I Really hope that poster's legit, it just looks bad ass.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:18 pm 

The plot of episode vii will be about a galactic regulatory dispute over a space savings and loans scandal.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:26 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
The plot of episode vii will be about a galactic regulatory dispute over a space savings and loans scandal.

Sounds like a Star Trek episode.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:35 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:

Snicker.

TNG, of course.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:55 am 

Subrick wrote:

It's probably fake, but it's a badass awesome poster nonetheless.

http://www.forevergeek.com/2012/11/7-st ... i-posters/
couple good ones here.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:58 am 

Metantoine wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:

Hank Paulson would be a hell of a Captain Picard.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:48 am 

This one's kinda shitty. And by "kinda", I mean "very".

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:15 am 

Grand Admiral Thrawn as the villain would be very cool. Not gonna happen though.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:22 am 

Josh Brolin as Kyle Katarn? YES PLEASE

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:05 pm 

J.J. Abrams to Direct Star Wars: Episode VII

Oh, for fuck's sake... :durr:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:15 pm 

Well he did direct Super 8 and Mission Impossible 3 which were both great movies. Then again, he directed that terrible Star Trek movie...

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:35 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Well he did direct Super 8 and Mission Impossible 3 which were both great movies. Then again, he directed that terrible Star Trek movie...

Also, Lost. So -1000000 credibility points.

If they're gonna hire a celebrity nerd to make it, why not Whedon? Then he can pretend to make a Star Wars film ("hey it has space ships, see?") and use the budget the make a new Serenity movie. :D

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:43 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:

Now you SW fans will know us ST fans' pain. :(

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:00 pm 

I don't know what to make of this. On one hand it's good because he's not the worst choice, but on the other hand, I expected someone less modern. I didn't care for Super 8, I found it a jumbled mess of an 80's homage with ridiculous overacting, but I enjoyed MI3 and Star Trek so I can see the potential for something at least on par with one of the original movies. Steer clear of the CGI and this might not suck.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:24 pm 

You know they won't steer clear of CGI. Unfortunately, it's become a staple of modern (sci-fi, and other) movies, and Abrams is one of the worst offenders. I'm not thrilled about this choice of director - he's neither the best nor the worst choice - but I also never had much faith in this movie from the outset. I will say, though, that I was honestly wondering if Kevin Smith might direct it. He's obviously a huge Star Wars fan, and might have done a good job of it. Guess it doesn't matter now, at least not until episodes VIII and IX.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:18 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
HellBlazer wrote:

Now you SW fans will know us ST fans' pain. :(

What, the pain of the last movie being better than the entirety of Enterprise and Deep Space Nine, and a fair bit of Voyager?

Abrams is certainly not the worst choice of director for a Star Wars film. That position has been filled by Lucas.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:52 am 

Thiestru wrote:
You know they won't steer clear of CGI. Unfortunately, it's become a staple of modern (sci-fi, and other) movies, and Abrams is one of the worst offenders. I'm not thrilled about this choice of director - he's neither the best nor the worst choice - but I also never had much faith in this movie from the outset. I will say, though, that I was honestly wondering if Kevin Smith might direct it. He's obviously a huge Star Wars fan, and might have done a good job of it. Guess it doesn't matter now, at least not until episodes VIII and IX.

Of course they won't, and why would they? SW would probably get a budget so high the CGI would like amazing! Star Wars could do a LOT worse than J.J. Abrams though, as long as Lucas stays the fuck away. I can just see him now, lurking at the set during the entire shooting and stalking Abrams "Jeffrey, hey Jeffrey, HEY come here! come here for a sec, listen listen".

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:56 am 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
What, the pain of the last movie being better than the entirety of Enterprise and Deep Space Nine, and a fair bit of Voyager?

:lol:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:12 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

Also, Lost. So -1000000 credibility points.

If they're gonna hire a celebrity nerd to make it, why not Whedon? Then he can pretend to make a Star Wars film ("hey it has space ships, see?") and use the budget the make a new Serenity movie. :D

Abrams wasn't incredibly involved in the show. To quote TVTropes:

Quote:
Contrary to popular misbelief, his involvement in LOST is extremely marginal: He was asked to help fleshing out a concept for a show when the guy who had the initial idea (then ABC chairman Lloyd Braun) was not happy with what the first guy asked to flesh out the concept (Jeffrey Lieber) had come up with. Abrams was never really committed to the show, and had another (rejected) pilot called The Catch that he was already working on, so another guy (Damon Lindelof) was hired to flesh out the concept for the show together with Abrams (they threw everything Lieber had previously come up with out of the window, effectively leaving only Braun's initial idea intact. Regardless, Lieber was later granted a ridiculous 60% creator's credit after taking legal action). Abrams wrote and directed the pilot and then went off to direct Mission Impossible III just as the first season was taking off, arguably similar to his abandonment of Alias for Lost. Lindelof, suddenly left alone with the Showrunner burden, considered quitting too, but was convinced by his former co-writer (Carlton Cuse) to stay. Cuse then joined the show as a second showrunner, and has been pulling the strings together with Lindelof ever since.

Abrams later briefly returned and wrote the season 3 premiere together with Lindelof, but apparently realized the show really wasn't for him. Regardless, he's still officially credited as an executive producer as of season 6 (the final season), even though he has repeatedly confirmed in interviews that he has nothing to do with the show anymore, and all he really does is approve everything Lindelof and Cuse come up with. (Lindelof even once joked that Jimmy Kimmel knows more about LOST than Abrams does.)

Also, Whedon will be busy making The Avengers 2 in the timeframe that Episode VII is being made. That's probably why he wasn't chosen.

Also also, Abrams's Star Trek I thought was pretty good. The science in it was completely not concurrent with actual science at all, but the rest of the movie was quite enjoyable.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:14 am 

So thanks to J.J. we're going to have a self aware, modernized Star Wars now. How any one can think this will be good is beyond me. We won't be able to tell the difference between his Star Wars and Star Trek films. I just can't see how anyone can get excited. Star Wars has been shit for years, and I don't think the lack of Lucas will help much. I think the series is dead and should be left alone.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:42 am 

^ I don't get people with that kind of opinion about Star Wars. Either we get a movie that is actually enjoyable and revives the Star Wars universe or we get a Red Letter Media review. Either way is better than a false sense of "not disturbing the dead" as that's just ridiculous in the case of Star Wars. The IP has been commercially butchered during it's entire existence and in fact that seems to be the only way we get the occasional good out of it, like the KOTOR games or Thrawn.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:47 pm 

I am neutral on Abrams as a director. He's neither great nor bad.

My problem with him is that he's already involved in one science-fiction franchise. SW's historical rival, in fact. Seems to be to everyone's benefit when we have vastly different products with different people in charge. Diversity is a good thing. As such, even if Abrams was the best director ever, it is objectively terrible news if he is indeed going to direct Star Wars.

There are many kickass directors out there and Disney should pick people out of left field and try new things instead of going with some safe choice like that.

Terrible fucking news if true.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next