Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:55 pm 

Errebuss wrote:
I can only think of two plot arcs for this sequel trilogy that haven't already been resolved: the rebuilding of the Republic and Luke reinstating the Jedi order. So they could bring back the original characters. Luke would be an older, wiser Jedi. Leia could be a diplomat or a senator. Not sure what else could happen though.

Um, you do realize that there are like a thousand books and comics written about what happens after the original trilogy...

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:27 am 

I think the 'prequels' were really mediocre. I like the 4-6 episodes, but after so many years of a franchise that have been sucking so much (someone does remember the C3PO and R2-D2 adventures?) this feels nothing but cashgrab.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:30 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
someone does remember the C3PO and R2-D2 adventures?

YES :lol:

Soooooooo bad.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:43 am 

Fuck you all, Lego Star Wars rocked!

But legit, Disney can't do this any worse than Lucas did the prequels, so I guess there is some hope. Frankly I just want to see TIE Defenders mauling those Rebel scum!

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:47 am 

Bezerko wrote:
But legit, Disney can't do this any worse than Lucas did the prequels, so I guess there is some hope. Frankly I just want to see TIE Defenders mauling those Rebel scum!

Seeing as it's Disney...

Me too though. And Imperial Walkers stomping over everything with lots of 3D cg gore.

Errebuss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:01 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
Errebuss wrote:
I can only think of two plot arcs for this sequel trilogy that haven't already been resolved: the rebuilding of the Republic and Luke reinstating the Jedi order. So they could bring back the original characters. Luke would be an older, wiser Jedi. Leia could be a diplomat or a senator. Not sure what else could happen though.

Um, you do realize that there are like a thousand books and comics written about what happens after the original trilogy...

I was mainly focusing on what Lucas had originally planned out. But yes, I am familiar with the Expanded Universe. And I hope they don't use most of those stories (Luke getting married, a clone of Palpatine rising to power, Jacean Solo becoming a Sith Lord).

MalariaMosquito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:08 am 

Errebuss wrote:
I was mainly focusing on what Lucas had originally planned out. But yes, I am familiar with the Expanded Universe. And I hope they don't use most of those stories (Luke getting married, a clone of Palpatine rising to power, Jacean Solo becoming a Sith Lord).

That's some of the dumber stuff. Hopefully they'll draw inspiration and stories from quality lore like the Thrawn series or the Yuuzhan Vong war.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:09 am 

Dude. At the end of Return of the Jedi Luke tells Leah he's his sister. And a Jedi. Number 7 should explore Leah learning the way of the force. It would also be cool to see how she uses it in politics.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:02 am 

Leia will become a tyrannical dictator, and then the Rebel Alliance will be outed for the authoritarian space communists that they are. Viva la Empire!

I think I was going for the wrong team. :(

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:28 am 

Bezerko wrote:
Leia will become a tyrannical dictator

Nah but she has the potential to be the best muckraker in history.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:14 am 

I would like to see the Shadows of the Empire story of the big screen. They would have to rethink some of the of encounters Dash Rendar has with Luke and Han Solo, they're mostly info trading so this could be done with other characters, still keeping the Boba Fett and Jabba the Hutt swoop biker encounters and building upon the story with maybe an under cover scenario and a family member or love interest Rendar has to save. I think it could work as a stand alone film in the vein of a high impact, modern James Bond movie.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:49 am 

Mixed feelings about this.

I think Star Wars was at its best when Lucas was film rebel himself. Than he built an empire and it seems he wasn't all that interested in actually directing films but rather cashing in. It was pretty obvious that by now, the franchise would never go anywhere good as long as he was at the helm. He also managed to introduce new cannon in the Star Wars mythology that is actually detrimental to the franchise as a whole. Midichlorians and all that crap.

The three last movies were awful but they were also prequels. It's notoriously difficult to pull those off. That's just not how writers usually prefer to work. I am hopeful that more movies can be made into this universe but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to ignore the prequels or at least ignore major parts of those. There are tons of ideas that could be explored, just based on the three original films.

Disney is obviously not my favorite company but they can assign whatever writers and directors they deem fit for the job. Jury's out on whether they'll make the right choice. They just hold the IP, they don't have to make the material, unlike Lucas who was both holding the property and insisting on being involved and ruining it. There are countless IP holders who are clueless but struck luck. The James Bond franchise for instance has sucked a lot less recently, compared to how it did in the Moore-Dalton-Brosnan eras.

I'm not really impressed by the Marvel movies (Marvel now owned by Disney) but general opinion seems to be that they are good enough. I'm not sensing the same outrage I got after the Star Wars prequel. So I'm guessing it will turn out alright for most. But not sure it will be good enough for me.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:34 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
Errebuss wrote:

Maybe Han and Leia will have twins and Chewbacca will die!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:06 pm 

My flatmate woke me up yesterday at about 1:00AM to tell me about this... I heard a knocking at my door followed by an alarmed sounding "Something terrible has happened".

I find your lack of faith disturbing probably the correct intuition.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:18 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
My flatmate woke me up yesterday at about 1:00AM to tell me about this... I heard a knocking at my door followed by an alarmed sounding "Something terrible has happened".

Is your roommate Sheldon Cooper? :scratch:

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:24 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
MalariaMosquito wrote:
keep it as far away from George Lucas as possible

This.
I think this is gonna be an improvement.

Yeah, as much as I'm not that much of a fan of the original movies and I'm tired of seeing that sort of doings from the Hollywood film industry, these movies aren't necessarily going to be bad. The prequel trilogy already sucks, so it's not like it's bound to be a total failure or destroying the franchise any more.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:25 pm 

If the new movie is anywhere near as good as the opening cutscene from SW:TOR, then it has a chance.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:32 pm 

Disney + Star Wars? it already exists!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvFlE1bDYq4

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:48 pm 

Quote:
Is your roommate Sheldon Cooper? :scratch:

...Surprisingly similar... I'd never thought of that before.

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:51 pm 

Lucas got what? Like 3.4 billion dollars or something?
What the fuck do you do with that money?
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:57 pm 

norcalslayings wrote:
What the fuck do you do with that money?

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:02 pm 

I personally don't want to see any of the post-episode 6 novels made into films. Some of them are great, but it would require the original actors, who are too old to play their respective characters at this point. That said, there is a generation gap between Episode 3 and 4. Who's to say they can't do what they've already done and create a brand new, unrelated trilogy with some loose tie ins. Set them 20 years after the fall of the Empire with brand new characters, a new conflict, and some cameos of the now aged characters from the original trilogy (for example Luke as the head of a new Jedi council, Leia as a political leader in the New Republic, etc. Give them roles which tie into the main story without making them the focal point).

Lets be honest, the prequel trilogy (which had its stupid moments, but I enjoyed overall) had very little to do with the original trilogy. It was Anakin's story, and other than a handful of characters who appeared in the original trilogy, it was a completely new storyline with very few tie-ins until the last 15 minutes of Revenge of the Sith. I think this is the only way they can successfully pull off a sequel trilogy at this point.

Now I'm not going to attempt to put together a viable storyline, but everyone saying that the story ended with the original movies is sorely lacking in imagination. A galaxy is a huge place, who's to say that Imperial remnant forces couldn't exist? Or that a new Sith lord couldn't rise up? If Jedi can return, Sith will inevitably return as well. Why couldn't they have been hiding underground the entire time, waiting for the right moment? Hell, the possibilities are endless. I for one am optimistic that a talented team could put together something completely new for Star Wars. There will always be purists for which nothing but the original trilogy will ever be acceptable, and they will always be around to bitch or make people feel sorry for enjoying anything else associated with their sacred cow. Maybe a new team can give Star Wars a fresh start and purists can sit at home and enjoy their original VHS tapes and complain while the rest of us can choose to try and enjoy the new storylines for what they are.

MalariaMosquito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:22 pm 

Messiah_X wrote:
it would require the original actors, who are too old to play their respective characters at this point.

Of course not. Why couldn't they re-cast "old Luke" like they cast "young Obi-Wan"?
Quote:
Now I'm not going to attempt to put together a viable storyline, but everyone saying that the story ended with the original movies is sorely lacking in imagination.

There is established material for up to around 150 years after Return of the Jedi. It's not Lucas-authorized, but that doesn't really matter any more.
Quote:
Maybe a new team can give Star Wars a fresh start and purists can sit at home and enjoy their original VHS tapes and complain while the rest of us can choose to try and enjoy the new storylines for what they are.

Bingo!

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:47 pm 

All they need to do is jump 100 years or so past the movies and focus on these fuckers. Honestly, I'd just like them to move past skywalker/the emperor and build a story around some other point in time, but I really don't expect Disney to do anything like that.

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:11 pm 

They could recast old Luke, Han, Leia, anyone else they want, I suppose, but what would be the point if they could just bring back the original actors aged up about 20 years? Seems like the best option, especially since I don't really think any of them should be the primary focus of the films.

I also don't really like the idea of basing new movies around the novels. Many of the novels focus too heavily on the characters from the original trilogy, take place too soon after Episode 6, and since they were written before the prequel trilogy there are more than just a few inconsistencies. Now don't get me wrong, Iike the novels, but I think they should keep the movie franchise separate from the literature and video games (I've heard people saying they hope Disney remakes Knights of the Old Republic as a movie). Alternate timelines, branch-offs, and side stories are common in franchises as huge as Star Wars - just look at Disney's other recently acquired partner, Marvel.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:16 pm 

A film about Bobba Fet and Han Solo would be glorious.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:20 pm 

iAm wrote:

Well there is that series about the star wars underworld coming out in a couple years on HBO - that should satisfy. That and star wars 1313.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:02 pm 

HenryKrinkle31 wrote:
What good has come from Star Wars since 1983? Hell, make that 1980 if you want.

Knights of the Old Republic, Star Wars Battlefront and the first clone wars animated series was pretty good.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:19 pm 

Commandaunt wrote:
iAm wrote:

Well there is that series about the star wars underworld coming out in a couple years on HBO - that should satisfy. That and star wars 1313.

If they go ahead with the live action series you can bet it will be on ABC now. I suspect they might just focus on the movies though.

And yeah, no EU stuff. It would be pointless to try to follow a storyline unknown to causal fans anyway.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:01 pm 

Messiah_X wrote:
There will always be purists for which nothing but the original trilogy will ever be acceptable, and they will always be around to bitch or make people feel sorry for enjoying anything else associated with their sacred cow

Damn skippy we will :thumbsup:

Messiah_X wrote:
Maybe a new team can give Star Wars a fresh start and purists can sit at home and enjoy their original VHS tapes and complain while the rest of us can choose to try and enjoy the new storylines for what they are.

It's doubtful that Star Wars will ever see the glory it had in the original trilogy again seeing as how hollywood has this innate ability to fuck up even the best ideas in the world.

Erosion :puke: new Star Wars

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:03 pm 

iAm wrote:
Number 7 should explore Leah learning the way of the force. It would also be cool to see how she uses it in politics.

No, no more politics in Star Wars please.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:07 pm 

Givne that Lucas did such a shitty job on Episodes 1-3, I'm actually kind of curious to see what Disney will do. It's not like they could do much worse. Half of the internet came up with a better plot for 1-3 than Lucas did. And they're getting ILM and Skywalker Sound with the deal too, so there's no reason they can't make something of The Empire Strikes Back quality.

Disney bought Pixar, and Pixar still makes Pixar movies. They bought the Muppets, and the Muppets are still the Muppets. They don't kill studios, they make money off them. So at worst, the merchandising's going to get out of control.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:08 pm 

By the way, somebody get Timothy Zahn on the phone.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:18 pm 

Commandaunt wrote:
Well there is that series about the star wars underworld coming out in a couple years on HBO - that should satisfy.

Say what? When was that ever said to be on HBO?

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:30 pm 

Ah, and...

IGN wrote:
Now, according to E! Online, a Lucasfilm source said that the plot of the film will be "an original story." This means that Episode VII will not be an adaptation of any existing licensed Star Wars material. So, for those of you with your hearts set on that Thrawn Trilogy, I'm afraid your dreams reside in the Netherworld of the Force.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/10/31/s ... inal-story

That settles that I suppose. I would hope it will still be compatible with the expanded universe, new story or not. It would be a dick move to destroy decades of canon just because they can.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:33 pm 

Nah, I'm almost certain this means that EU canon will go out the windows. Unless they set it quite far in the future. But like I said earlier, most of the movie going public who'd see a new SW flick know little to nothing about the EU stuff so it pprobably won't play into what they do with the new movies.

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:02 pm 

Glad it has been confirmed that they will be working an original story instead of attempting to adapt the EU novels. As As much as I like the Thrawn trilogy and the EU "canon" it developed for future novels, I think the films exist as a separate canon. I don't really see how they could make the new films work without conflicting with the EU material, but as I said, it wouldn't be the first time a major franchise became convoluted with alternate timelines and branch-offs (again, see Marvel's comic book-verse). The problem lies with the amount of written story that many Star Wars film fans haven't read. Hell, its been years since I read them, and I don't remember a lot of the details. Expecting casual filmgoers to read something like 12 essential Star Wars novels to catch up on the story before watching the new movie would be ridiculous for a franchise as huge as Star Wars, and it will just end up being criticized for being confusing.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:03 pm 

I was going to Toshi station to pick up some power converters when i found out and nearly had a heart attack! Disney? oh god :durr:

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:15 pm 

halfformedfetus wrote:
I was going to Toshi station to pick up some power converters when i found out and nearly had a heart attack! Disney? oh god :durr:

Nice

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:44 pm 

Disney isn't really a problem. They've been associated with the Star Wars franchise for years in various offshoot projects, and Disneyland had Star Wars themed sections of the theme park and the Star Tours ride long before George Lucas started butchering and barbecuing everyone's sacred cow. They've also had an Indiana Jones ride for years. They aren't any more capitalistic than Lucas. Can we stop pretending that George Lucas has ever done anything for the purpose of artistic integrity? :rolleyes:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next